FA To Punish Withdrawals From National Team

Cal.

≡
Reaction score
FA bosses will stun football next month by launching a long-awaited fightback against Premier League clubs that sabotage the England team.

An epidemic of player withdrawals from England sides this week convinced FA officials that enough was enough. They are now so fed up with England teams being undermined, they are ready to declare war on clubs who try to cheat the system. Starting from the next international date, they will ban players who fail to report for England duty from playing for their club the following weekend...

FIFA rules give the FA the power to prevent a player whose injury has not been verified by England medical staff from playing for his club for five days after an international fixture.

Until now, the FA has not enforced the rule as a gesture of goodwill towards clubs but 22 withdrawals from the full England side and the Under-21s, Under-20s and Under-19s has forced them to act. The FA are determined to present a united front for the next round of international fixtures at the end of March and enforce the FIFA rule.

If a club insists on fielding a player who had pulled out of an England match without consultation, that club will forfeit the match the player plays in. The rule would not have affected Steven Gerrard’s availability to play for Liverpool against Wigan tomorrow because his groin injury was checked by England medical staff.
Personally I think this is a ridiculous idea, if a player withdraws from an England squad then they don't have the desire to play for the team and should be dropped until they earn another call-up, not punished in club football for prioritising their club. Also the FA should show discretion with regard to the importance of the national call-up and the club's situation (crises>friendlies), but no, it's almost as if they think they can just conscript players into the national team...

But the next bit really annoys me, showing more of the bias of the FA against the North-East. (We have most English players, but generally are always overlooked)

They were ready to make an example of Newcastle striker Nile Ranger this weekend after he pulled out of Wednesday's England Under-20 match against France without first being checked over by FA medical staff.

Ranger was to be banned from playing against Blackburn tomorrow, but they were forced to postpone the action when they realised Manchester United defender Chris Smalling had been allowed to cry off Under-21 duty without reporting to England.
And a final lol:

In a bizarre case, Sparta Prague withdrew Czech duo Tomas Pekhart and Vaclav Kadlec and Croatian defender Manuel Pamic from international duty for fitness reasons this week - then fielded all three in a friendly against Zenit St Petersburg in Spain on Wednesday.

In an apparent attempt to disguise the players’ identities, their names didn’t appear on the teamsheet and the three wore jerseys with teammates’ names on them - Pamic playing as Jakub Podany, Kadlec as Pavel Kaderabek and, most bizarrely of all, Pekhart, who is white, as black Cameroonian midfielder Martin Abena. Sparta’s plan seems to have been rumbled when a Czech journalist recognized the players in photos posted on Zenit's website.
Source: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...-for-club-the-next-weekend-article694903.html

Last edited:
In an apparent attempt to disguise the players’ identities, their names didn’t appear on the teamsheet and the three wore jerseys with teammates’ names on them - Pamic playing as Jakub Podany, Kadlec as Pavel Kaderabek and, most bizarrely of all, Pekhart, who is white, as black Cameroonian midfielder Martin Abena. Sparta’s plan seems to have been rumbled when a Czech journalist recognized the players in photos posted on Zenit's website.

Buahahahahahaha!

The punishment thing is terrible though, surely it's a breach of human rights or something like that.

**** straight. ******* quislings. If I ever got called up to my national team(s) I'd be there in a second. It's an honour being considered one of the best footballers in your country!

but the FA should prioritise the bans, England had a friendly against Denmark hardly the most important of games and players have commitments to their clubs too, dont forget that we are in the middle of a English season which is more competitive than ever and its the clubs who put money in the players pocket, If the players had pulled out of a qualifier or something similar then obviously this ban would be fair but not in such situations...

has this story surfaced anywhere else apart from the mirror?

Their getting paid far too much money these days.
They should just say,

Hey if you don't want to play for us that's fine.But at the weekend your'e not getting paid!
Anmd also Fine them for being such a Jerk to their country.

Can't find anything else on it, but they do claim it's an 'exclusive'
lol, i'm gonna take it with a pinch of salt unless it appears somewhere else credible, personally i'd just drop them for the competitive game, as long they make the difference between clubs wanting to rest a shattered player, and one who simply cant be arsed. for example, i know SAF called up the serbian FA to ask if he could have vidic pulled out as he was our only fit centreback (bar the out of favour brown) going into the serbian game, and they agreed

******* too right. On Saturday once i saw the England squad i said it gives time for one of or both Terry and Gerrard to pull out and low and behold look what happend. Terry i can maybe understand a little bit because i feel him and Capello dont get on anymore because of the whole Bridge thing but then again he should still want to play for his country. Gerrard has no excuse what so ever, time after time he pulls out.

So they were quite happy to ban Nile Ranger and leave Newcastle with even less strikers but not to ban Chris Smalling because Manchester United would be left with few central defenders? FA can **** off in my opinion.

Terry i can maybe understand a little bit because i feel him and Capello dont get on anymore because of the whole Bridge thing but then again he should still want to play for his country. Gerrard has no excuse what so ever, time after time he pulls out.

What?! oO) So if Terry pulls out then it is ok because he banged his best mates ex. However Gerrard isn't allowed to pull out?!

Why does it not surprise me you said that...

What?! oO) So if Terry pulls out then it is ok because he banged his best mates ex. However Gerrard isn't allowed to pull out?!

Why does it not surprise me you said that...

If you read what i said after that "but then again he should still want to play for his country".

"If a club insists on fielding a player who had pulled out of an England match without consultation"
I think these are key words here, if a person is pulling out for 'fitness/injury' reasons they they should at least undergo consultation rather than spontaneously pulling out without forewarning the national team.

Saw this on Tribal Football during school and I was thinking WTF but if it was me I would be there at the traning ground within 10mins it would be an honour to play for your country even if you was rubbish.

******* too right. On Saturday once i saw the England squad i said it gives time for one of or both Terry and Gerrard to pull out and low and behold look what happend. Terry i can maybe understand a little bit because i feel him and Capello dont get on anymore because of the whole Bridge thing but then again he should still want to play for his country. Gerrard has no excuse what so ever, time after time he pulls out.

I can see Gerrard retiring from internationals pretty soon, probably after Euro 2012, his heart has always been with Liverpool rather than England. It is like that for most scousers though tbh, look at Carragher.

Please ban Nile Ranger. He pulled out recently and deserves to be banned... probably

I can see Gerrard retiring from internationals pretty soon, probably after Euro 2012, his heart has always been with Liverpool rather than England. It is like that for most scousers though tbh, look at Carragher.

Yer i can too, that is a good point. Genuinly scousers arnt big England fans, im not knocking them for it its totally up too them. I live in Portsmouth and am a massive England fan and i know most Chelsea fans are very patriotic too. Maybe the further you go up the country the less intrested people become lol.

A joke. Feel sorry for Ranger. We have three useless strikers (well, does Kuqi count?) and they were going to ban him and not Smalling. Typical FA.

Yer i can too, that is a good point. Genuinly scousers arnt big England fans, im not knocking them for it its totally up too them. I live in Portsmouth and am a massive England fan and i know most Chelsea fans are very patriotic too. Maybe the further you go up the country the less intrested people become lol.
Probably Scottish influence lol

A joke. Feel sorry for Ranger. We have three useless strikers (well, does Kuqi count?) and they were going to ban him and not Smalling. Typical FA.

Fair, Smalling should also be banned but don't pretend losing Nile Ranger is a problem.