FA To Punish Withdrawals From National Team

Yer i can too, that is a good point. Genuinly scousers arnt big England fans, im not knocking them for it its totally up too them. I live in Portsmouth and am a massive England fan and i know most Chelsea fans are very patriotic too. Maybe the further you go up the country the less intrested people become lol.

Which isn't surprising when you consider this country is very Southern centric. I personally couldn't care less.

Fair, Smalling should also be banned but don't pretend losing Nile Ranger is a problem.

He was excellent against Arsenal but usually useless.

Still a joke.

Yer i can too, that is a good point. Genuinly scousers arnt big England fans, im not knocking them for it its totally up too them. I live in Portsmouth and am a massive England fan and i know most Chelsea fans are very patriotic too. Maybe the further you go up the country the less intrested people become lol.

Er... wow. That's taking generalisations to a new level, quite apart from it being utter ****.

What you might mean is a **** of a lot of Londoners are moronic chavs who are so "patriotic" they're more nationalist than anything else. Maybe scousers just aren't quite as stupid as the majority of us down here, eh?

Er... wow. That's taking generalisations to a new level, quite apart from it being utter ****.

What you might mean is a **** of a lot of Londoners are moronic chavs who are so "patriotic" they're more nationalist than anything else. Maybe scousers just aren't quite as stupid as the majority of us down here, eh?

Im not knocking people etc its just the way i see it. I think Wembley is so southern its hard for northers to travel and they feel distant from the national side.

I think its an issue that needs to be sorted out because you never hear Ronaldo has been withdrawn from Portugal, cant remember last time he missed a match for Portugal and it would of probably been an injury.

I think their should be a 3 strike rule if you are withdrawn from a game you 3 times you get an automatic one match ban or fine. Injuries should be check by a non-biased physio.

Im not knocking people etc its just the way i see it. I think Wembley is so southern its hard for northers to travel and they feel distant from the national side.

Yeah... thats the most bullshit I've seen condensed into a single place since I went to that cow farm.

Haha, I'm not sure why it is tbh pal. I know a few scousers who are big supporters of England although scousers are generally less patriotic than the majority of the country, for whatever reason. Maybe because loads of us actually come from Irish, Welsh and even Scottish backgrounds.

Disagree about the rest of the north though, I know a lot of other places up north which are very patriotic.

Okay now that is just bullshit. Despite the fact Wembley is placed in a shithole, it still doesn't mean any northerner is going to suddenly become less patriotic :S

******* too right. On Saturday once i saw the England squad i said it gives time for one of or both Terry and Gerrard to pull out and low and behold look what happend. Terry i can maybe understand a little bit because i feel him and Capello dont get on anymore because of the whole Bridge thing but then again he should still want to play for his country. Gerrard has no excuse what so ever, time after time he pulls out.

Gerrard has more of a reason to pull out than Terry.
1) When he pulls out, its for an injury.
2) Gerrard was injured on international duty despite the FA making an agreement with Liverpool that he would only play 45-60 mins of the game. He got injured in th 80th.

If England dont keep their word and because of it and he gets injured, surely he does not have to play for them. They went back on their word so why doesnt he just say that its a pointless friendy, and whats the point of playing for them. He doesnt get paid, he doesnt have a contract, they cant punish him for not doing something that he didnt agree to.

Just my opinion

To be perfectly honest, CJACKO, I'm from London (and live in) and I think I'd probably rather Arsenal won the league than England won the Euros. I'm not unpatriotic, I've probably just got used to England being pretty **** ;)

On another point, I'm delighted that Wilshere only played 45 mins, Walcott wasn't overworked and RVP and Cesc pulled out of their squads through "illness", while Djourou fortunately missed out (if Switzerland were even in action?) because his knee injury was exaggerated meaning he can play Barcelona.

I'd much rather have a full bill of health at the Emirates, than England win the most pointless friendly midweek in Denmark. What on earth is the point in having a friendly now? They can't blame players for wanting to be fit for their clubs but as Mike said, you have to differentiate between being shattered, and not being arsed.

Also, @CJACKO - Terry pulls out of England squads more than Gerrard, and is always mysteriously out for several months, before returning a week later ;)

To be perfectly honest, CJACKO, I'm from London (and live in) and I think I'd probably rather Arsenal won the league than England won the Euros. I'm not unpatriotic, I've probably just got used to England being pretty **** ;)

On another point, I'm delighted that Wilshere only played 45 mins, Walcott wasn't overworked and RVP and Cesc pulled out of their squads through "illness", while Djourou fortunately missed out (if Switzerland were even in action?) because his knee injury was exaggerated meaning he can play Barcelona.

I'd much rather have a full bill of health at the Emirates, than England win the most pointless friendly midweek in Denmark. What on earth is the point in having a friendly now? They can't blame players for wanting to be fit for their clubs but as Mike said, you have to differentiate between being shattered, and not being arsed.

Also, @CJACKO - Terry pulls out of England squads more than Gerrard, and is always mysteriously out for several months, before returning a week later ;)

I never said he didn't i just said Terry and Capello obviously dont have the best relationship anymore so in a way i can see why Terry wouldnt want to play for him.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

And the England thing is just my opinion. Also alot of people believe their is a London bias in the England side and media and i think that has somthing to do with it.

i can see some international retirements if they try to enforce that.

I agree - it's probably because more Southern based football fans/clubs are normally more patriotic because they have gone to Wembley when they were younger and understand how important the national team is. A lot of Scousers probably haven't even been to Wembley before.

Gerrard has more of a reason to pull out than Terry.
1) When he pulls out, its for an injury.
2) Gerrard was injured on international duty despite the FA making an agreement with Liverpool that he would only play 45-60 mins of the game. He got injured in th 80th.

If England dont keep their word and because of it and he gets injured, surely he does not have to play for them. They went back on their word so why doesnt he just say that its a pointless friendy, and whats the point of playing for them. He doesnt get paid, he doesnt have a contract, they cant punish him for not doing something that he didnt agree to.

Just my opinion
Gerrard should retire from International Duty some time soon, and I think they should enforce a rule that England have to keep to their 45-60 mins promise, or they get fined a large chunk of money.

I agree - it's probably because more Southern based football fans/clubs are normally more patriotic because they have gone to Wembley when they were younger and understand how important the national team is. A lot of Scousers probably haven't even been to Wembley before.

Gerrard should retire from International Duty some time soon, and I think they should enforce a rule that England have to keep to their 45-60 mins promise, or they get fined a large chunk of money.

Thats exacly my point. I wasent slating scoucers or northen people at all its just the way i see it. Its a huge shame but unfortunatly its the way it is.

To be honest that is all rubbish. You're saying that people from the North aren't patriotic because they haven't been to Wembley? That's absurd. You can't generalise, people from the North are just as patriotic as people from the South.

Last edited:
To be honest that is all rubbish. You're saying that people from the North aren't patriotic because they haven't been to Wembley? That's absurd. You can't generalise, people from the North are just as patriotic as people from the South.
It's my opinion, but I am mostly talking about Scousers, as I know Newcastle have quite a lot of English players and they are generally quite patriotic.
EDIT: I don't mean to cause offence, if I do then tell me and I will delete this post.

Im saying northen people believe the media and England set-up have a bias towards London clubs so i can understand it. Im not saying all northeners im just saying southeners feel more attatched to the national side than northeners.

Only a very small proportion of fans have been to Wembley, so it doesn't really have any effect on the supporting of a national team.

It's my opinion, but I am mostly talking about Scousers, as I know Newcastle have quite a lot of English players and they are generally quite patriotic.
EDIT: I don't mean to cause offence, if I do then tell me and I will delete this post.

You haven't caused any offence don't worry. I just don't believe you can say a set of fans aren't patriotic because their team has more foreign players.

Im saying northen people believe the media and England set-up have a bias towards London clubs so i can understand it. Im not saying all northeners im just saying southeners feel more attatched to the national side than northeners.

Believe what media? What makes Northerners believe the media any more than anyone else?

I am quite honestly shocked at the levels of patriotism in this thread. For me, playing for England is the ultimate honour. Yes, it was a meaningless friendly in some reguards and it should primarily be used to blood youth, but our media are so critical when we lose that you have to have that balance of experience.

All of the high profile players should take a leaf out of Ashley Cole's book - always gives his all and never drops out. As good as he is, I'd be quite happy if Gerrard never wore the shirt again, Capello shouldn't tolerate his picking and choosing what games he plays.

And just because our media build us up to be a force that we aren't, doesn't mean you should be less patriotic. I'm sure you'd all be out celebrating with the rest of us if we won a tournament.

I don't often rant but it really gets under my skin and is something I'm really passionate about. Apologies for any offence

Now, more on topic, I can only see these plans causing arguements and further friction. It should be the choice of the player, but if they refuse an Fa medical consultancy then I think they should be dropped for the next competitive England game. It would be great if those players that dropped out yet are fit to play this weekend were dropped for the next, as the likes of Gerrard think that they can just waltz back into the team

Last edited: