FA To Punish Withdrawals From National Team

I'm not sure this is the exact solution to the problem, but action needs to be taken.

For numerous reasons (our poor performance in the summer being the main one), support for England is at an all time low and part of the cycle is that clubs, and subsequently their players, now view national games as a nuisance and not an honour. Club before country is a reasonable stance and one I hold, but it should always be a close-run thing.

I also think the thread about hatred in the modern game ties into this, as supporters now despise certain players with such a passion that their backing for the national team is compromised.

Personally my opinion is that if you withdraw from the England squad and then play the next game for your club (a few days later) you should be given some kind of international ban. Gerrard is a good example because he does pull out of quite a few squads. He did seem fine on Sunday after the Chelsea game though and im guessing that he will be fine for the game against Wigan which would suggest that there was no injury. Giving him a two match competitive ban would proberbly see every player want to play in friendly matches

I am quite honestly shocked at the levels of patriotism in this thread. For me, playing for England is the ultimate honour. Yes, it was a meaningless friendly in some reguards and it should primarily be used to blood youth, but our media are so critical when we lose that you have to have that balance of experience.

All of the high profile players should take a leaf out of Ashley Cole's book - always gives his all and never drops out. As good as he is, I'd be quite happy if Gerrard never wore the shirt again, Capello shouldn't tolerate his picking and choosing what games he plays.

And just because our media build us up to be a force that we aren't, doesn't mean you should be less patriotic. I'm sure you'd all be out celebrating with the rest of us if we won a tournament.

I don't often rant but it really gets under my skin and is something I'm really passionate about. Apologies for any offence

Now, more on topic, I can only see these plans causing arguements and further friction. It should be the choice of the player, but if they refuse an Fa medical consultancy then I think they should be dropped for the next competitive England game. It would be great if those players that dropped out yet are fit to play this weekend were dropped for the next, as the likes of Gerrard think that they can just waltz back into the team

Don't mean to cause offence by not being patriotic but me and most of my family care much more for Liverpool than England, as do most scousers. As I've said, I believe it is possibly because we come from Irish, Welsh and even Scottish backgrounds. Maybe it is because a lot of the country actually don't like us and we get a lot of stick, although I am generalising here, and generalising is of course wrong.

I don't feel it is because the majority haven't been to Wembley, my Dad's been to Wembley for both internationals and Liverpool cup final games and I'm sure he was louder in the Liverpool games than the England ones.

As I've said, I reckon Gerrard will retire from international football soon with the new young English midfielders coming through. I'll admit he doesn't work hard enough for England, saying that most of the players don't tbh.

Don't want an argument about this, it is just how the majority of scousers feel, I know scousers who are very patriotic but most put club before country. Doubt I'll ever be able to give a definitive answer of why though.

Gerrard has more of a reason to pull out than Terry.
1) When he pulls out, its for an injury.
2) Gerrard was injured on international duty despite the FA making an agreement with Liverpool that he would only play 45-60 mins of the game. He got injured in th 80th.

Didn't one of England's midfielders get injured during the first half of that match forcing Capello to keep Gerrard on the pitch? And didn't Gerrard and Liverpool understand that and accepted that it was just bad luck?

But I agree with both sides if I can.
Players should play for their England during competitive games. They should want to, and be privilaged to play for England. (Maybe an exception can be made in extreme cases like Bridge not wanting to be in the same team as Terry).
But during friendly's that are sandwiched between two competitive club games, they should be giving some leway.

no offence to man utd fans i know this aint your fault but your team gets away with a lots of things in football put it this way ranger was going to get banned but then realised they couldnt cause smalling did the same thing thats basically saying we hate 19 premier league clubs just because we aint in the top 4 and make the most money when wolves and blackpool make 10 changes to thier team its a fine but when man utd went to hull last day of 08/09 season and made a lot of changes its fine and im sure you did that in champions league as well this year no offence to man utd fans but the FA can **** off

********. I'd rather have all of them retire from international duty cos they only play **** or get injured for england.