Ferguson ref rant 'unacceptable'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Fergie. Shows who is the Boss. And i dont think Fergie gives a **** about the fines and Bans. He speaks out everytime and i dont think he will change.
he doesn't, otherwise he wouldn't have a 70k bill for not talking to the bbc

he doesn't, otherwise he wouldn't have a 70k bill for not talking to the bbc

Yeah, but on BBC part i dont think its his mistake. It is having bit of self respect. I fully support Fergie not talking to BBC.

As some people are aware, I fully respect SAF as he pretty much a legendary manager, and I fully respect him. He may have been angry, but like people have already mentioned, he shouldn't have said what he said. There's a respect the ref campaign for a reason. However, he should aim criticism at the ref association/FA, because there is so little clartity/concistency within referees nowadays, and imo refs are being pushed (unfairly) to ignore the thing called common sense when making decisions.
When they are told to do something or other, they are stuck in a rock and a hard place. Refereeing is a career, and if they use common sense, they face demotion. And if they don't use common sense and follow the guidelines, they get absolutely slaughtered by all sections.
So though I can see why SAF is angry, the criticism is misplaced imo. For a ref its a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
Just trying to see it from a logical point of view to be honest.

As some people are aware, I fully respect SAF as he pretty much a legendary manager, and I fully respect him. He may have been angry, but like people have already mentioned, he shouldn't have said what he said. There's a respect the ref campaign for a reason. However, he should aim criticism at the ref association/FA, because there is so little clartity/concistency within referees nowadays, and imo refs are being pushed (unfairly) to ignore the thing called common sense when making decisions.
When they are told to do something or other, they are stuck in a rock and a hard place. Refereeing is a career, and if they use common sense, they face demotion. And if they don't use common sense and follow the guidelines, they get absolutely slaughtered by all sections.
So though I can see why SAF is angry, the criticism is misplaced imo. For a ref its a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
Just trying to see it from a logical point of view to be honest.
right message, wrong target. we have two cases of inconsistent reffing, because refs are hamstrung by pointless regulations

Mike riley need to do more in helping streamline the rules and let refs use common sense, the rules just make them look stupid

i agree with ajt09. im a united fan and i think sfa should shut up sometimes but i think we are all missing the big picture. there are so many diffenret threads around and all of them have one thing in commom.... there sparked by teriable reffing.

Graham Poll who dispite giving out 3 yellows in a world cup match was still one of the best referees in the game and even he has said that the ref got it wrong and sir alex shouldn't be punished, as post game interviews give sky the chance to talk to a manager before the have had time to sometimes see an incident or even reflect on the game. i know we all awit foe post game interviews to saf ranting or wegner moaning but there shoild be a press confernce the next day to help managers avoid saying stupid things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Martin-Atkinson-got-big-decisions-wrong.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Graham-Poll-FA-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-leeway.html

Over the season, United get the majority of the decisions, especially at home. How he can complain is beyond me.

i agree with ajt09. im a united fan and i think sfa should shut up sometimes but i think we are all missing the big picture. there are so many diffenret threads around and all of them have one thing in commom.... there sparked by teriable reffing.

Graham Poll who dispite giving out 3 yellows in a world cup match was still one of the best referees in the game and even he has said that the ref got it wrong and sir alex shouldn't be punished, as post game interviews give sky the chance to talk to a manager before the have had time to sometimes see an incident or even reflect on the game. i know we all awit foe post game interviews to saf ranting or wegner moaning but there shoild be a press confernce the next day to help managers avoid saying stupid things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Martin-Atkinson-got-big-decisions-wrong.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Graham-Poll-FA-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-leeway.html

He gave 3 yellow cards to a player of the country I live in! To the Croatian national team player Josip Šimunić!
:D

Ontopic:
After the way that Howard Webb has referreed every United - Liverpool match, I don't think Fergie should say a lot...

Every team will have a couple of games a season where they lose almost completely because of a referee's decisions. Most managers don't see that as the cue to attack the ref and spend most of the interview whining.

He's not so keen to talk about the ref when his team is awarded dodgy decisions.

All I can say is, how Rooney was able to play in this match and indeed 2 matches to come (violent conduct is a 3/5 (?) match ban) is beyond me, so SAF should pipe down. Its unacceptable to say a ref shouldn't be managing in the topflight. Anyway in the end he'll just get fined.

Seems like Wenger is almost the same as Fergy after all!

They're both sore looser's, and when their team looses it's like the world has ended.

often a case of protecting players actually, and it generally works- i'd like to see how often United or Arsenal have lost 2 games in a row

also bitterness is against most accounts of Fergie, i remember Mourinho saying in an interview that he was staggered that Fergie was so gracious in defeat (against Porto) and that he wishes he could be like that when he loses

it's all just public show and an emotional reaction immediatly after the game

not that he's wrong, Atkinson basically lost United the game at Stamford Bridge last season too

EDIT:
Every team will have a couple of games a season where they lose almost completely because of a referee's decisions. Most managers don't see that as the cue to attack the ref and spend most of the interview whining.

who the **** do you watch then?
i forgot sir Alex is the only manager in the history of management to ever do anything wrong, no other manager has ever critisized or complained about a ref have they
this thread is the same typical over reactions of people who read the papers too much

Last edited:
ferguson is a *** a world class manager but a *** the rooney elbow, clatternburg clearly saw it and did nothing what shocks me more is that dispite the video replays theres been no action since he deserves to be banned for atleast 6 games

It's a fact that referees are over protected, just look at the Rooney elbow incident last week - the FA claimed tha the ref in question made the correct decision, which is clearly not true. It's about time that they come out and acknowledge their own mistakes, most of us understand what a difficult job it is and it would surely help appease the situation.

On the Fergie rant, I think it is completely wrong of him. As a United fan I think I can say that we generally get more decisions for us than against. Whether this is down to reputation or the pressure we put other teams under on the pitch, it doesn't negate that fact. SAF gets away with more than most managers in the division. To be fair, there were a few important decisions that seemed to go against us in the Chelsea game and the FA should be more lenient over manager comments immediately after the game, but SAF should apologise for questioning the integrity of the referee. That's just not on

Kudos for an honest assessment.

you mean like referee's apologise to managers/players/fans alike when they make key mistakes that change games

Not manager's mistake. Anyone would have criticised ref for the shocking decisions. If anything Atkinson should apologize.

Refs will never come out and face the media, that's what annoys me. They get so much protection it's un-real. When it's a stone wall mistake that they've made, they should come out and say why they gave the decision.

Aren't referees not allowed to speak to the media? That would explain why they don't justify any decisions. So to blame them for not explaining their decisions is a bit harsh if they're not allowed to.

I don't understand the point in blaming the referee, or complaining about decisions. The decisions have already been made (rightly or wrongly) and moaning and whinging about them doesn't change anything. It just provides excuses for a team's performance and hides inadequacies in the team, and also creates more pressure on referees. Remember they're only human, and have to follow guidelines that seem to contradict common sense.

He gave 3 yellow cards to a player of the country I live in! To the Croatian national team player Josip Šimunić!

i know he made one of the biggest reffing mistakes in world cup history as i watched the game and couldnt believe what i was seeing but he was one of our best refs.

all i really was saying that the interviews so close to the end of a game are not working. how many time in fm 11 have descions gone against u and u've ranted to yourself never mind millions of viewers!! i'm not sayin sfa is right or any other manger should be allowed to rant at refs but just the should be given more time after a match to think about whats right to say.

i know he made one of the biggest reffing mistakes in world cup history as i watched the game and couldnt believe what i was seeing but he was one of our best refs.

all i really was saying that the interviews so close to the end of a game are not working. how many time in fm 11 have descions gone against u and u've ranted to yourself never mind millions of viewers!! i'm not sayin sfa is right or any other manger should be allowed to rant at refs but just the should be given more time after a match to think about whats right to say.
Actually, I was shocked with the "not sending off", but that was terrible. and graham poll said he misplaced Simunic with a guy from Australia?
Seriously, they had different kits on lol.

Actually, I was shocked with the "not sending off", but that was terrible. and graham poll said he misplaced Simunic with a guy from Australia?
Seriously, they had different kits on lol.

wow didn't know he said that. plus your jerseys are one of the most noticble with the checkered effect. lol!!

There are lots of bad decisions, but is there any way to accurately measure how bad refs are compared to what they 'should' be? It's an extremely hard job, and in the case of Luiz, he wasn't looking in that direction so he couldn't have made the call. It's probably the hardest job in the world, there is no way to do well unless you are not noticed. Even if you make the right calls, you're constantly berated by the players, fans, and managers, and a mistake must make you feel absolutely terrible. And the angles they have often times aren't nearly as good as what we see on TV. Sure they make lots of bad decisions, but I don't think any of us here would be able to do any better.

wow didn't know he said that. plus your jerseys are one of the most noticble with the checkered effect. lol!!
Yeah, I think he said he misplaced Simunic with Craig Moore...

Simunic has an "australian accent" due to being from Australia, but his parents are from Croatia and that's why he played for Croatia. But mistaking two guys from 2 different national teams, in which Croatian team has the checkered white & red jersey while Australia has completely yellow jersey with green pants?
I'm not even that kind of a bozzo

Back ontopic:
I'm also glad Fergie has got punished, but it's probably something minor, like a fine of 10k € or pounds....

Back ontopic:
I'm also glad Fergie has got punished, but it's probably something minor, like a fine of 10k € or pounds....
This is probably why players/managers repeatedly offend, because the fine is pointless.

If someone earns £500 a week and gets hit with an £80 speeding fine, they'll think twice before doing it again.

When you're earning £100k p/w + bonuses, a ~ £3k fine is nothing.

Meh, use the other thread now hes been charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.