Filippo Selva: Fiorentino's finest

Finn

Reaction score
Filippo Selva

Hello, I am Filippo Selva. I was born in Fiorentino in San Marino on 7.3.1979. I come from a working class family. My father works as a repairman and my mother is a waitress. They both work in San Marino city which is a bit away from Fiorentino so they were never around when I was young meaning there was no one to make sure I was trying in school so basically I spent my whole childhood and teenage years playing football. Any time I wasn't playing football I was at Federico Crescentini watching Tre Fiori play. I was a massive fan of the club since my father brought me to that first game when I was four years old. I played kick about stuff as a child but at the age of 11 I was offered a place in the Fiorentino FC academy. I nearly accepted but felt it was wrong as they were Tre Fiori's biggest rivals so I went to Tre Fiori and asked to see the youth coach. I informed him that I had been offered a place a Fiorentino but I wanted to play for Tre Fiori so he agreed to give me a trial. I delayed my decision with Fiorentino and went to the trial and I got it. I was playing for my dream club. At the age of 17 the Tre Fiori boss came to see me and told me he'd seen me play for the youths. He said he liked what he saw and told me I was being moved up to the first squad. I was delighted. At the age of 26 I had played 155 games. In those games I had got 74 goals from my right wing position. Just after I turned 27 I agreed to sign for San Marino FC in Serie C2/B in the Italian league. I scored 65 goals in 93 games for San Marino fc and got 3 call ups for the San Marino national squad but two months ago I broke my leg. The club physio informed me that I could never play football again which broke my heart.

I could never play football again but I was determined to stay in the game. I went to the San Marino FC boss and he agreed to give me the job as manager of the under 20s squad.The lads on the under 20s squad are great and it's been a joy to manage them. A lot of skillful lads on the squad who I would love to work with again after this job. I was getting to like the job and wasn't really thinking about the future until I got a call from the San Marino national manager, Giampaolo Mazza. He said he was sorry to hear I was retired through injury as he'd planned to pick me for his next squad but he had something else to offer me. He said one of his friends, Roberto Zanon was chairman at Sporting Lucchese in Serie C2/B in Italy. Lucchese were looking for a new manager and Mazza had seen me train the San Marino fc under 20s and had reccomended me to Zanon. I was chuffed that the San Marino national manager had gone out of his way to get me a job as a manager even though I had only been on his squad three times, never winning a cap. He said he would give Mr. Zanon my number and ask him to give me a call. Sure enough 3 days later I received a called from a Mr. Roberto Zanon.

Roberto Zanon went into detail explaining the history and set up at Sporting Lucchese as if trying to convince me that it was the club for me, he needn't have bothered. I was barely listening because I had made my mind up the second I received the call. I packed my bags and said my goodbyes to my friends and family, promising to visit as much as I could. I got the first available train from San Marino City and I was off. Off to Lucca, location : somewhere in Italy....

Sporting Lucchese

I've arrived in Lucca which seems to be quite a nice town and arranged my temporary accomodation in a small hotel on the outskirts of the town. I arrived for my first day of work today, the 14th of July 2009 and have just met with the board and my staff. The board informed me that their minimum expectation was that I reach the play-offs in Serie C2/B. I have been given a 50k transfer budget and a 23k p/w wage budget. My own salary is also fairly nice at 1,300 p/w. The staff informed me that the youth facilities are very poor so I should definately focus on the transfer market and my first impression of the current youth team is not great. I like the club so far as it's a club that has never been a massive power house but does have a fairly rich history with winning Serie B in 1936 being their biggest achievement. The club have a beautiful 7,400 all-seater stadium called Stadio Porta Elisa. I was shocked by how many rivals the club has. Sporting Lucchese retain fierce rivalries with Spezia, Viareggio, Padova, Pisa, Carrarese and Siena. The club also retains rivalries with Fiorentina, Pistoeise, Spal, Triestina, Livorno, Empoli and Reggiana. I really like the club so far and look forward to working here. The team seems to have enough quality to reach our expectations but I believe a few good signings could mean a title challenge so I will be working closely with my scouts over the next month or two. I aim to gain promotion to Serie C1 this season.

I have bought a new camera since arriving in Lucca and here are the pictures I have so far taken :

Stadio Porta Elisa :
Porta_Elisa4.jpg

Lucca :
the-rooftops-of-lucca.jpg

lucca_b.jpg

Note : I am using the same lay-out as Ben with his story http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/luis-tiaguinho-sao-paulos-finest-t32650.html as we have started a challenge to see who's manager does best. :D Hope u enjoy the story of Filippo Selva's career!​

Good start Finn, best of luck :D

Yeah, should be fun :)

wow very interesting story so much detail should be a good read try get a parent club you mite be lucky and get one of the big clubs such as inter milian :p

good luck8-|

wow very interesting story so much detail should be a good read try get a parent club you mite be lucky and get one of the big clubs such as inter milian :p

good luck8-|

Thanks Mark :D

Yeah one of the first things I've done is to ask for a parent and feeder club. The board have agreed to search for both.

If this story is half as good as that opening post then this will be great! GL

If this story is half as good as that opening post then this will be great! GL

Thanks Pompey Dan :D

That webpage u created for your Eastern European story is absolute quality, loved reading the story.

well evan i have to say well done on the 1st post good background good start so i say best of luck to both of ya

Fantasric opening post, I will be reading mate. Hopefully you can keep it up!

well evan i have to say well done on the 1st post good background good start so i say best of luck to both of ya
\

Fantasric opening post, I will be reading mate. Hopefully you can keep it up!

Thanks Dan :D Yeah same, will be going into as much detail as I can on both the football side and on Filippo Selva's life.

Wow, Finn.

Fantastic Into!!

Love it so far, Will follow it here. Post it on the other forum too!

Joel

July Update

July Update

How is life at Lucchese going for me? One word, 'amazing'. Being a football manager can be the most horrible and difficult job in the world at times as I've found out in my first month here. But the good times really make up for it. The players here are incredible. Instead of being critical of me as a first time manager they welcomed me to the club with open arms, inviting me to go out downtown with them on my very first night of the job. I have become great friends with a lot of the players over the course of July and I couldn't be happier with the area as Lucca is a beautiful town. I'm still living in the hotel, which is paid for fully by the club while I save up money to buy or rent a proper house. As soon as I arrived at the club although not wanting to upset anyone I was forced to put my foot down on some issues. My assostant manager, Claudio Di Spirito was a nice guy but really didn't have a clue when it came to evaluating my players as he liked to sugarcoat everything he saw. I was forced to sack him by mutual termination which he agreed to for a fee of 8k even though his contract was worth 30k.

As soon as Claudio packed his bags I was out searching for a new assistant manager. I didn't have to look far. I called an old family friend, Umberto Cianfrone who had been a coach at Virtus Lanciano last time I'd spoken to him. He informed me that he had left the club back in 2008 and was unemployed so I offered him the job. He gratefully accepted my offer of 475 pounds p/w. I knew of his amazing evaluation skills and as soon as he got here he informed me just how wrong Claudio had been about the team. He believed that the team was not capable of reaching their expectations. I was fairly shocked but was forced to believe him as I watched our unfit, unskilled team being slaughtered 0-5 in front of 7,000 fans at home in a friendly against Lazio. I had organised many big friendlies but after this I cancelled most of them as the lads just weren't up to it. I asked Umberto to take control of the rest of the friendlies this season. He kindly accepted so I didn't have to watch the rest of the slaughterings.

July Results

Lucchese 0-5 Lazio (Friendly)

Lucchese 0-7 Napoli (Friendly)

Lucchese 2-3 Livorno (Friendly)

Melfi 2-3 Lucchese (Friendly)

July Transfers

Franciso Javier Cebolla - 27 year old Spanish striker signed on a free from Calasparra. According to Umberto, Cebolla is a quality player and should really boost our strike force.

Giorgio Noviello - 25 year old Italian striker signed from Ternana for 12k. He seems to have a good eye for goal and a bit of skill on the side so I'm hoping he'll be a good addition.

Mustapha Traore - 27 year old Gambian centre back signed on a free. This guy is quality, the best signing I've made. He is a 6 foot 1 tank of a centre back that lets absolutely nothing past him.

Gaston Lucano - 21 year old Argentinian striker signed on a free. Nothing special yet but could turn out to be a fairly good striker.

Matias Chiacchio - 21 year old Argentinian striker signed on a free. Quality striker expected to be one of our key players this season with a cool name to match.

Andrea Tricarico - 26 year old Italian centre/defensive midfielder with lots of lower league experience in the Italian league. One of my best signings so far!
Life in Lucca

lucca.jpg

The beautiful city of Lucca is an incredible place to live. Everything I wanted when living in Fiorentino seems to be here in Lucca except for my friends, family and Tre Fiori. The night-life here is great and I go out nearly every night with either the players or some of my other friends including fellow manager, Luis Tiaguinho. Luis is a Brazilian manager currently managing our big rivals, Cararrese. I did my coaching badges with Luis a few months ago and he's a sound lad. Seems a good manager too unfortunately as our next game is against Carrarese in the Serie C Cup! I am not getting into any relationships as I want to concentrate on football so I just do the fun thing, get a new girl every night. I now have a reputation in Lucca as a bit of a ladies man and a womanizer. So basically to sum it all up I'm loving life here!

Back to football...

Well to bolster up the squad we could do with one or two more signings but other than that we're set for our first competitive game against Cararrese in the Serie C Cup. Amazingly we drew three of our biggest rivals in Group E in the cup. Carrarese, Spezia and Viareggio were drawn in our group which means there could be some very heated and atmospheric matches. The Noceto match is in 8 days time so I've got to go get things sorted. Will update again at the end of August!

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Wow, Finn.

Fantastic Into!!

Love it so far, Will follow it here. Post it on the other forum too!

Joel

Thanks Joel :D Will do ;)

Last edited:
Great stuff Finn, cheers for the mention :D

Thanks mate, good luck :)

A pretty good read here Finn. Keep at it now :D.
Cheers Shootie!...Mervue 0-1 Youths :D

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:44 AM ----------

August

Well in terms of football August was a class month, couldn't have been much better only for the 2-1 away loss to massive rivals, Spezia. As I sit here on the couch by the window in my hotel room I have a bit of a smile on my face as I think over my results and transfers from August. I have made a lot of additions to my Lucchese squad after watching the old squad continuesly fail in pre-season friendlies.

Umberto gave me a lot of advice on signings and my new scouts, Francesco Pini and Giovanni Vitale. Well after heavy scouting I have signed a lot of new players in August but most of them are to bolster the youth academy and to be sent on loan to our new feeder club, Forcoli. French winger, William Agostini was the first of my August signings. At 21 years of age William is a sound lad and a fairly good left winger in the bargain. The best signing of August was Alessandro De Vitis on loan from our newly announced parent club, Parma. Although only 17, De Vitis is one of the key players in my plans for this season and will be starting in almost every game in centre midfield. So far it looked like my team was going to be very young and inexperienced and that didn't change when I signed the classy Spanish left back, Carlos Valverde on a free from Salamance. It only started to dawn on me that teams at this level actually needed experience and not just the group of old men currently at the club who were starting to complain of wrinkles.

We needed old men who could actually play football so I searched and I found. I signed Victor Bocchio, a 32 year old Argentinian centre back to link up with Mustapha Traore in centre back. Jose Manuel Aguilar although older than any of the contrary old men currently at the club has more ability than them all put together and more pace than 90% of the youngsters. It only took 7k to convince his old club who had him on the transfer list and a bit of a higher wage for him to convince him that his future was here and not at one of the numerous Coca-Cola Championship sides that were holding talks with him. To be honest I'm dissapointed that I already picked the captain as Jose seems to be the most influential person at the club and a great leader. I have grown fairly good friends with many of the players here and I'm delighted to be managing the club.

Away from Football...

Lucca is an amazing city as I've said before and I have a lot of friends here. I've been out a fair few times over the last few weeks and I absolutely love the nightlife. I bring a new, sexier girl back to my hotel room every night which is a lot of fun but I would actually like a girlfriend only I feel that I can't. At first when I managed to get out of San Marino I thought I was free of it all. Free of the past. Recently though I've been getting paranoid, paranoid of every sound I hear in the corridor and every car that drives past the hotel on the street outside. Yeah I seem crazy but no one else could understand...no one else with a normal life has been in the dange I've been from the time I left school at 16. From the time those scouts came to my underage game and said I was good enough to play for Everton. I remembered how excited I had been and how my parents had broken my heart. How they had ended the parents - son relationship we had.

My parents had told me they would not spend their well earned money on me chasing a dream. I had a trial at Everton and no way of getting there. So I got into crime, started doing work for the mob. Trying hard to make enough money but as the date of the trial approached I hadn't near enough so I went to mob boss. I asked him for a loan and unfortunately for me he agreed. Unfortunately for me he believed in my ability more than I did and gave a 400k loan. He said it would set my life up in England and when I was a star, I would pay him back....(To be continued)

So I sit here in my hotel room constantly fearing the worst, fearing my television appearance for the Lucchese v Cararrese match on the 7th of August more than anything. What if they just happen to see it? What if one of his men is a fan of lower league Italian football? I am going to be on TV and they might just see me.

Anyway I've got to stop worrying as it's getting me nowhere. I have arranged a nice apartment in a good part of the city to rent. Want to get out of this hotel as it's costing the club a lot and I don't want to be a burden. I will move straight after the Cararrese match on the 7th. Although in fear, I can't let it destroy my social life in Lucca so I'm out on the town every other night with Gabrielle Scandurra, Victor Boccio and Francesco Mocarelli. None of them are key players at the club except maybe Bocchio but they're the soundest bunch of lads going. We hang around with a group of other lads from the town including three lads from San Marino. Marco, Paulo and Davide who are all related in some weird way and are from San Marino City. I'm having a great laugh here even if it's always playing at the back of my mind that they will find me sooner or later...

August Results

Noceto 0-1 Lucchese (Serie C Cup)
Nikolas Kras

Lucchese 2-1 Carrarese (Serie C Cup)
De Vitis
Chiacchio

Lucchese 3-1 Viareggio (Serie C Cup)
Cebolla
Noviello
Noviello (pen)

Celano 0-2 Lucchese (Serie C2/B)
Noviello
Potenza

Spezia 2-1 Lucchese (Serie C Cup)
Noviello(pen)

Giacomense 0-2 Lucchese (Serie C2/B)
Chiacchio
Potenza

Last edited:
Filippo Selva is a wanted man :p

Filippo Selva is a wanted man :p

lol! Yep! Hopefully he'll become manager of someone massive and pay them back with 4 weeks wages....or else he'll get kicked to death in an alley. 8-| ;)