FM Base Internationals - Results Thread

Round III may begin. RII fixtures have until 12am now, so 13 hours, just to give you a chance to get them done.

No sign of AFN today sorry guys and I'll have to head to bed soon so we wont be playing our game today sorry.

Znik - he said he is in Italy for work for a while so he might struggle to play the next round also.

I will likely be up pretty late tonight trying to finish an assignment, so will be able to squeeze my game in against MK, if he does come online at some point.

No sign of AFN today sorry guys and I'll have to head to bed soon so we wont be playing our game today sorry.

Znik - he said he is in Italy for work for a while so he might struggle to play the next round also.

Oh ok. He told me he'd be without internet until Sunday afternoon. Which should have meant he could play today. Guess I'll have to search for another emergency Scandinavian :p

If only the Aussies had had Higuain!

Round III starts with a fairly boring match between myself and Weiry (literally there were only a few highlights that weren't goals, and it was my lowest scoring game yet) which was decided by one Goalazo Higuain (who was of course wanted by Lippo in the draft).

Whilst both of us were sorting out the OI's, the match decided to start itself and by the time we had finished the OI's it was already 1-0 to England - Higuain slamming home from close range after Costa danced round his man at the byline.

Then, came the deathly silence as there were no highlights for over half an hour of game time. The next one ended when Koke's ball over the top found Higuain, who beat Mat Ryan at the 2nd attempt. 2-0

One more highlight that half, Costa hitting the side netting from practically about a yard out to the side of the goal. HT England 2-0 Oz

The match restarted with a newfound intent from the aussies, and England were pegged back in their own half with a goal from the aussies seemingly imminent.
Only some heroic last minute defending denied the aussies pulling one back, before the English missed a golden chance of their own.

After Higuain was seemingly pulled back by Chiellini, he then placed a crossfield pass woefully short letting Costa run onto it and go scampering clear. He did the easy bit of rounding the keeper, only to miss the open goal!

No more highlights until the Aussie sub machine started up - bringing on the terror of MATT LECKIE (!) and some bloke called Alexis in place of Diego Costa and Eden Hazard.

2 minutes later, one sub had a devestating impact (and it wasn't Leckie :O ) as Sanchez's ball over the top was met first time by Suarez and the ball flew past a stranded Cech. 2-1 and a comeback was surely on?

The Aussie pressure was relentless for the next few minutes (that is a guess, there was no highlights :p ) until the English broke. And it was a devestating counter, a thing of exquisite beauty as we one-touched our way from midway inside our half, to Higuain on the edge of the Aussie box, he took one touch to turn his man and another to slide it into the path of Sterling who nonchalantly placed it past Ryan. 3-1. Game surely over.

The Aussies thought not, as Weiry replaced a RB (Zabaleta) with a ST (Morata - he's no Higuain xD )

Only one more highlight, as some slick passing got Higuain free in the area for his hattrick... but Vertonghen made a super block.

Weiry's computer then had enough, and kicked him off of FM. Thankfully he missed no further highlights, and it ended 3-1 to England.

View attachment 178995

Thanks for a great game Weiry, and for putting up with an idiot (Me) forgetting to change their download region prior to setting the game up :/

Now go win it for us Matt/Godfish!

I an bit going to be able to play any games in this for the forseeable future due to some pretty major problems with my laptop. If I'm lucky I'll be able to dig my old laptop out tomorrow or Sunday and get FM installed on that (and hopefully it runs smoothly since it is a relatively old laptop) otherwise I won't be able to return until my laptop is fixed.

I've been ill the past week or so, so I've not really been policing it. Given the lack of completed results, I'll let this round run for another week to catch up.

Also, apologies Maximus, won't be able to make our match later tonight, will message you regarding rescheduling.

Good game to Davey, who hopefully grabbed a screenshot of our game

I got so lucky in this game, made a cardinal error of selecting no subs and got let off by Javi getting sent off! Messi got injured and the game ended with 10 on each side

Me and Nomadic just finished our game. Safe to say it was an absolute epic, definitely one for the fans!

Captains, your picks this week need to go to Lippo not me, as I am away this weekend. Ideally by Friday please folks.

View attachment 174980
Scandinavia and Wales forget to defend.
In the first game of the series between Scandinavia and Wales, both teams decided that we've had enough in this tournament of tactical smartness and positioning, as well as goalkeepers saving things. Both teams abandoned all principals of Italian football, and just went all out attack in what must be the most entertaining game of the tournament this far

The game started off with dominance from the Scandinavians, who had the first chances. Already in the opening seconds, Robben blasted a shot over from inside the box. It wouldn't take long for the deadlock to be broken, however, as a fantastic cross from Lichtsteiner was met by a Ronaldo volley. 1-0 Scandinavia

The Scandinavians pushed on, but Wales had a dangerous-looking attacking force, and Aguero was very lively. After 15 minutes, he made his way through down the left, and sent a beautiful cross for Angel Di Maria. He volleyed home past De Gea. 1-1 Wales

Both teams kept attacking, and once again it was Lichtsteiner to make a difference. A cross from deep downfield found its way to Ronaldo, who beat Thiago Silva in the air. The header hit the bar, and was deflected in off the back of Neuer. 2-1 Scandinavia

2 minutes later, it was the other Scandinavian fullback to make a difference. Ricardo Rodriguez ran down the left, and put a brilliant cross in for Tevez. He hammered a thundering volley home from 16 yards. Neuer was yet to save a shot this far. 3-1 Scandinavia

The lead didn't last long though. 3 minutes later, it was Wales' turn again. Lahm sent a dangerous cross in, but no Wales players looked like getting to it. However, Raphael Varane wanted to help out, and slid the ball into his own net with no pressure. 3-2 Wales

This time there was a long pause before the next goal... all of 7 minutes! Another wonderful Rodriguez cross to the far post was met by Arjen Robben, who had outrun Jordi Alba. 4-2 Scandinavia

4 minutes later, and it was on again. A nice passing move ended with a Robben shot. It was parried by Neuer, but Tevez was there to slam the rebound home. 5-2 Scandinavia and surely game over.

Scandinavia seemed to relax after this, and Wales couldn't understand what had hit them. But one man hadn't given up. Sergio Aguero was played in by Di Maria and shrugged off his marker, and placed it inside the near post. 5-3 Wales

HALF TIME
The crowd were shocked. What a boring first half, only 8 goals!

Wales kicked off the second half, and went at the throat of the Vikings. Cavani had come on, and he was the first to hit the next in a very dull second half compared to the first. After 61 minutes, he muscled off Varane and hammered it home. 5-4 Wales and game on!

The game was a chaotic affair now, back and forth with chances for both teams. But the Scandinavians were nervous, and couldn't hold on. Sergio Aguero was on again, sneaking through to hammer home the equalizer
5-5 and a tied game!

After this, both keepers started saving shots. And during the last seconds, De Gea came up with a huge stop to deny Cavani the winning goal.

In the end, a 5-5 draw. What a game, even though we couldn't hang on. Thanks to Nomadic for a truly entertaining affair, and I'm sorry I won the extra time 3-0, as I had to write this monster of a game review!

Good Game!

Obviously I intentionally threw the game in extra time, to avoid writing the review....:p

Great game though Znik!