FM Base Internationals - Results Thread

Messi? Who Needs Messi?!

In the first game of the England v Ireland showdown, it was a completely onesided result as the English triumphed 5-0 - albeit with Ireland manager Disclaimer stuck with a laptop not wanting to show the highlights of the Irish horror show :p

The game started with speed issues, as it became clear that DC hadn't set the speed, and I was the one in control of it. In the time it took me to change the settings to our satisfaction, England took the lead - Higuain evading a couple of half-hearted challenges in the box to square to Neymar for a tap-in. 1-0 inside 1 minute!

Next up, Higuain became the scorer, slamming home Fabrega's corner (why can't Fabregas play this well IRL...). 2-0.

In the 20th minute, Sterling made it such that only Shane Long could save the Irish as he converted in style with an overhead kick from Neymar's cross. 3-0

A short while later, Carvajal goes off injured - Not the big news, but it's at this point that DC realises he can't make any changes - effectively scuppering his hopes of a Long-haul comeback (Only pun, I swear!). We replace Carvajal with Stonesy.

HT comes with no sign of DC or his changes. It stays that way for 5 minutes before DC's laptop lets him in for long enough to make a triple sub, including the long awaited entrance of Mr. S. Long.

Second half starts, and the speed is back to snails pace - as well as the highlights changing to full match. For the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half, I'm frantically trying to change the match speed, while DC is just bemused that he can't even see the match. Alas, just like the first half the speed issue is fixed with an England goal - Sterling prodding home again. 4-0

A few minutes later, and it's a brace for Higuain after a super through ball from Koke - cue wild celebrations from England, and a groan of despair from DC.

The rest of the match passed without incident, although it is worth noting that DC did graciously turn down the offer of a replay before the end.

View attachment 179827
Good game DC, even if you couldn't see most of it!

Now Godfish, bring it home for the English!

Haha I'm glad I missed the 4th and 5th goal :p

Well deserved; you dominated the match! Congrats.

Me and Otter have played out a superb match, result will be posted by one of us in the near future.

Will update tables/ scorelines tomorrow or Sunday. In the meantime, can the captains for the RIII fixtures send me their matchups please. Have cleared my inbox, so need fresh copies from everyone.

Irish Refuse to die without a fight

Coming off the back of a hammering in round one Otter's Ireland got out the blocks early today claiming a goal from Messi in the 9th minute after a lovely dummy pass from Muller.

The lead wasn't set to last though as England set the tone for an end to end match by marching straight forwards and scoring a well placed equaliser from Lewandowski, who was played in by Neymar

Ireland managed to reclaim the lead after a well worked corner lead to Pique flicking the ball on to the head of Hummels who sent Cech the wrong way. Ireland played out a dominating end to the second half but couldnt find an extra goal.

They were made to pay for this in the second half as Sterling set up Douglas Costa to make it 2-2 and England started to get the upper hand.

Around the 66th minute we had a connection issue, so agreed to play the game out without making anymore changes as Godfish left the game. End to end stuff for the final 30 minutes could produce no more goals and 2-2 is exactly how it finished
View attachment 179789

USA EDGE WALES TO DRAW ROUND II LEVEL.

View attachment 179769

The second match of the round between USA and Wales lived up to it's blockbuster billing. With spectators flooding in to see this one far and wide, one such spectator, known only as Weiry, wasn't so lucky. Reportedly he is the well known sparring buddy of USA coach Meehar but spectators weren't keen on seeing him around as he is also known to be a part of the Australian team that the USA faced in Round I. As such, he was secretly fed a goal by goal update from someone on the USA bench.

The match itself started off slowly in the first 20 minutes with Wales manager Taskers01 coming across to the USA dugout to mumble something about an "extended" view. Meehar saw this as only a mind game though because just a moment before he had seen Welsh defender Thiago Silva hit the crossbar with a header from a corner.

The slow match then picked up an electric pace with popular Welsh star Gareth Bale who had been making trademark marauding runs on the wing, found his way at the back post for a low cross and tapped it in. 1-0!

Just moments later though Thiago Silva, probably still dazed from heading the ball too hard earlier, made a horrendous pass back to his keeper that USA man Lukaku pounced on to and slotted home. 1-1!

The USA then took the lead just a few moments later after some shoddy defending from Wales. The ball bounced around players in the box before finally falling to Toure who tucked it home. 2-1!

After this Taskers was in his dugout shell shocked, mouthing "What is going on??"

The referee blew the whistle for halftime and both managers had the same though, "So much for a slow half."

The second half started in the same pace and the USA manager took the break to make adjustments to his defense to stop the pacy wingers from Wales. Naldo came on for the Fabian Johnson who was having circles run around him and the back four traded positions.

This didn't stop Wales though and Di Maria was next to break free from the wing. Only the winger was a bit too selfish with the chance and chose to fire a wide shot instead of cutting it back to the free Aguero in the center.

USA made this error pay when they immediately made the score 3-1 from a Marco Reus effort.

Would this game the battling Welsh down? Nope! Because they immediately pulled a goal back through Sergio Aguero. The striker got the ball near the box and took matters into his own hands leaving his defender for dead, sprinting in on goal and burying his shot.

3-2 and by this time physios were more concerned with the health of their respective manager's instead of the players.

Before the physios could even make their way to each manager for a quick check up though USA had restored their two goal lead thanks to Lukaku who had been terrorizing the Welsh defense all game with his pace and physicality.

By this time, Taskers and Meehar were just waiting for the inevitable third Welsh goal to come immediately following Lukaku's goal and they did not need to wait long when substitute Oscar sent a bullet header from ways out past keeper Benaglio who flapped at air when trying to stop it.

4-3 and Meehar couldn't take it anymore. He was only concerned with keeping the Welsh attack out and told his players to put it all on the line in defense.

The 'Bustling Bald Head' also known as Michael Bradley, also known as the USA captain took his manager's words to heart and went in on a tackle that earned him a second yellow card and an early bath. Now the physios were standing right next to Meehar and Taskers cause these last 8 minutes were crucial.

Lukaku tried to put everyone out of their misery when he got the ball all alone on a counter after a free-kick at the other end. The held the ball with two defenders around him, moved by them and released a shot than Neuer saved brilliantly.

Nothing came from the resulting corner and that was the last chance of the game.

4-3.

View attachment 179771

Great game with Taskers in this one. Good fun and laughs, thanks fella. Up to captain MK to smash Wales and win the round for us. Noo pressure.;)

So what happens if the matches aren't played today?

Unlucky Taskers, Nomadic has to win this for us now! :)

No pressure then :p.

MkMillwall has been really busy recently and is proving difficult to schedule a time - Having said that, there is a chance we will be playing at Midnight GMT tonight.

I know AFN said he wouldn't be available until tomorrow, but hopefully he's ready to play the last Scandinavian game then.

Just waiting on one team, then I'll release the fixtures. We have a couple of good ones lined up already!

If someone can reach Davey and remind him to send his numbers in, that would be great.

Round 3 Fixtures are up, can proceed from tomorrow.

Also, still need another Englishman to pick up the mantle, apply via PM folks.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like i will be able to play MkMillwall, he did mention midnight tonight GMT, but no sign and am going to have to call it a night in a minute.

Just an update. AFN and I are trying to arrange a time but its looking less likely we will make the midnight cutoff.

Well, Brendn still hasn't replied to me. So I don't think out game will get played unfortunately :(