FM-Base Light Skin

Tharros

Reaction score
As many people have found that the new skin for FM-base is quite distracting, due to the heavily contrasting colours, I have decided to make an alternative. I am using an add-on called Stylish for Firefox to do this. At the moment I am in the very early stages of development, but basically the aim is to have a lighter version of the new skin. I have attached a screenshot of what I have done so far for the main page, but this is subject to change. I hope to have a finalised version within a few weeks :)

I should also mention that what I can change is rather limited as I am only changing the CSS associated with the site, which basically controls the style of the website. I cannot change the way avatars/sigs work for instance.

yeah, that looks really nice IMO

Thanks guys. :)

i prefer it but still not as good as the old one :(
Like I said, it is still in very early development and everything is subject to change. I have only been working on it a couple of hours so far. ;)

I think that it's great improvement. Maybe PM Sean about the changes you have made?

I personally prefer the new one to the old one.

It's a lot more stylish, and once everyone is used to it everyone will be loving it. It's just because it's new, everybody dislikes it.

I'm liking the new one, its more organised and as DMF said stylish.
I also found it easier to customize my profile :D

I personally prefer the new one to the old one.

It's a lot more stylish, and once everyone is used to it everyone will be loving it. It's just because it's new, everybody dislikes it.
I'm liking the new one, its more organised and as DMF said stylish.
I also found it easier to customize my profile :D
The reason people don't like it because it is a bad design - it has nothing to do with it being new. An interface should be instantly usable, so it being new is not an excuse. Usability is a combination of everything that goes into the interface. So if the colour scheme is bad, which it is in the new dark skin, then the entire interface is bad.

But enough of that, Keep it on topic. :)
This thread is about the light skin, not whether or not the new skin is better.

To be fair the only thing wrong with it IMO is the black background, no recent threads when viewing threads, no icon to tell us if a post has been replied to and some colours of text are hard to read. Tharros does this plug-in work for opera?

The reason people don't like it because it is a bad design - it has nothing to do with it being new. An interface should be instantly usable, so it being new is not an excuse. Usability is a combination of everything that goes into the interface. So if the colour scheme is bad, which it is in the new dark skin, then the entire interface is bad.

Think you're being unduly harsh on Sean,this is by no means the finished article, otherwise the site would have been down for longer. at least having it up now allows feedback to form it into something everyone likes, you hopt t have your final version done in a few weeks, imagine if the site had been down for a few weeks?

Think you're being unduly harsh on Sean,this is by no means the finished article, otherwise the site would have been down for longer. at least having it up now allows feedback to form it into something everyone likes, you hopt t have your final version done in a few weeks, imagine if the site had been down for a few weeks?

Fair point. The design is very good, but I think some things could be changed and I am glad it is not the finished article. This should go in the feedback thread but maybe a good idea would be to have the option of choosing from a black background or a white one?

anything that brings this place closer to what it used to look like is win imo :)

It's not a bad design otherwise it would be unusable and everyone would hate it.
It's obviously usable as you've managed to make a new thread and post on other threads since it's re-emergance. Not everyone hates it, and most of the ones that do are saying that they don't like it because it's not as nice as the other one.

Would grease-monkey on opera do the job ( grease-monkey = stylish) ?

Perhaps, but the only thing that is wrong with the new design is the colour scheme, which to be frank, is not hard to get right. I appreciate the work Sean has done, but I don't really understand why he chose the scheme he did. The design should have been finalised before it went live. And no the site would not have had to have been down for weeks. He would have probably been using a sub-domain to make the new site and then switched it over. While I say a few weeks, that is just to give me some breathing space. If I wanted to/had the time I could finish it in 2 days or so. I did this early design, which is very usable in one day. It is just the small things that will take time to change and get right. I used to work in web design you see.

It's not a bad design otherwise it would be unusable and everyone would hate it.
It's obviously usable as you've managed to make a new thread and post on other threads since it's re-emergance. Not everyone hates it, and most of the ones that do are saying that they don't like it because it's not as nice as the other one.
Going off the poll in the new design feedback thread, most people do not like it. And like I said, usability is everything to do with the interface. It is not good to have colours that hurt peoples eyes. ;)

Would grease-monkey on opera do the job ( grease-monkey = stylish) ?
Isn't grease-monkey for custom scripts? A bit different I think. Someone may have made something with it to do something similar in Opera though.

Last edited:
Going off the poll in the new design feedback thread, most people do not like it. And like I said, usability is everything to do with the interface. It is not good to have colours that hurt peoples eyes. ;)

If you actually read that thread and the comments though, they are all saying that they just prefer the old one. Nothing really about the colour scheme. As I said, the colour doesn't really do that much damage. He's already taken comments on board and added a lighter grey to the background to help, but this is still in a transition. He's had to make everything from scratch, whereas you're using what he's got and then editing to improve.

He's made it from scratch and if all that is wrong is the colour, then tbf he's done an excellent job. If it's as big a problem as everyone is making out (I personally don't see the issue) then I'm sure he'll change it around when he gets the time.

If you actually read that thread and the comments though, they are all saying that they just prefer the old one. Nothing really about the colour scheme. As I said, the colour doesn't really do that much damage. He's already taken comments on board and added a lighter grey to the background to help, but this is still in a transition. He's had to make everything from scratch, whereas you're using what he's got and then editing to improve.

He's made it from scratch and if all that is wrong is the colour, then tbf he's done an excellent job. If it's as big a problem as everyone is making out (I personally don't see the issue) then I'm sure he'll change it around when he gets the time.
While that may be true, the majority of people should like a new design regardless of their unwillingness to embrace change. That is not the case here. The fact is, as it stands, the site does not look good IMO. I understand he will continue to make changes, but I think the design should have been sorted out before the update was made. In the state it is in, the site may put people off.

No, he has not had to make the site from scratch. FM-base uses vBulletin software and Sean has customised that.
I say again, I appreciate his work, but the design should have been done before the new site was made live.