Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting me up, but my favourite story is Pompey_Dan's East European (I think) Adventure.

One word: Amazing.

Just a thought.... but one story can have 50 posts, 10 of which are actual story... where as another will only have 15 but still 10 of story! :S

ya i agree, i explained myself a little improperly. it should be that the story should have been updated a certain number of times. that would cover most cases, including cases such as when a story is updated by editing a previous post and adding more material to it.

Have you decided on a criteria for selecting storys, I wouldn't mind trying to get mine up there with the big dogs.

Last edited:
Deathball's and Kris' story should defoo be on here. A couple of choices are odd to say the least.

Have you decided on a criteria for selecting storys, I wouldn't mind trying to get mine up there with the big dogs.
havent thought of one yet. there isnt just one criteria that makes a good story. how about making a few suggestions as to what the selection crtiteria should be? How about it should be updated at least once every week and should be nominated by a certain number of users?
Deathball's and Kris' story should defoo be on here. A couple of choices are odd to say the least.
Ya i meant to add Deathball's but could not find the link the other day. I have a important paper tomorrow soo a little strapped for time. But i'll add these two as they have already been suggested by a couple of people. Which ones on the list did you find odd? I just added the ones that are the most followed initially and then they have been added based on suggestions.

Updating once a week is a little harsh, people might hav a busy week or whatever - that doesn't mean their isn't good. I think if a story makes it past 2 years then should be considered for a proof-read then writing quality/ layout of the story should be considered then consider the actual scenario.

sorry but why the hells is deano's story with brentford not up there he has done amazing with them and kept me reading for ages

lol thank you for putting it in

Last edited:
Updating once a week is a little harsh, people might hav a busy week or whatever - that doesn't mean their isn't good. I think if a story makes it past 2 years then should be considered for a proof-read then writing quality/ layout of the story should be considered then consider the actual scenario.

fair enough. the once a week was just a thought. what you suggest seems quite good. But if a story does cross 2 years then deciding which ones are worth adding and which ones aren't will be a little tricky. If that decision falls to me or any single person then it will be biased. So how about Depending on whether the story fulfills the first criteria then we add it to a list and people vote for those stories and after a certain number of votes it gets added to the list. That way the stories here will be selected by all the regular readers here and the list will be more well selected than it is right now.

Sounds gd mate, how many votes? 10,20 or more? You could have the existing list of best stories the premier league of stories and then a newcomer's list - championship lol JOKE

The voting for new stories to be added could make this thread a bit messy, if you can implement it clearly then it could work

Last edited:
10 seems good. ya i am still not sure how to implement the voting system without making the thread exceedingly messy. Maybe add a poll? will have to figure out a clean way to do this. And am thinking of categorizing the stories when their number crosses a certain point.
If anyone can think of a way that we can implement the voting method please feel free to give a suggestion.
and Gazamataz im sorry that I have havent added your story to the list. till we finalise a criteria for adding stories I am only adding stories which get nominated by people other than the author. really like your story though. the whole restructuring of the scottish league adds a new dimension to the story. tried out the db myself a while ago:p

No worries Jetika, I'll just hope that someone else likes it enough to suggest it!

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

How about adding a poll for the new stories, request that no-one types a vote, only use the poll about the only way I can see it not being to messy

a poll does seem like the best bet right now. have another idea but it seems a little overboard. got to go out while. will come back and think if its even doable. will post here as soon as i come to know what to do

To be honest I'm a bit confused by the purpose of this thread? The title is "FM Base Story Archive" which would indicate that is the place to post links to great stories that have ended (are archived) so that they are not lost and act as an inspiration for the new ones, but all the talk so far is of new and current stories.

My worry is this... by creating a "stories I like" thread it runs the risk of creating a list of a few elite stories and draws attention away from up and coming new stories. In addition any poll will be out of date very quickly and, therefore, should it really be stickied?

For me, part of the joy of the FM base Story Forum is the discovery of something new, a new approach to story telling or someone managing one of the less popular clubs (or in one of the less popular leagues).

Guys, please take care that we don't create a "Premier League" of stories and sticky it forever more, give the new ones a chance! :)

To be honest I'm a bit confused by the purpose of this thread? The title is "FM Base Story Archive" which would indicate that is the place to post links to great stories that have ended (are archived) so that they are not lost and act as an inspiration for the new ones, but all the talk so far is of new and current stories.

My worry is this... by creating a "stories I like" thread it runs the risk of creating a list of a few elite stories and draws attention away from up and coming new stories. In addition any poll will be out of date very quickly and, therefore, should it really be stickied?

For me, part of the joy of the FM base Story Forum is the discovery of something new, a new approach to story telling or someone managing one of the less popular clubs (or in one of the less popular leagues).

Guys, please take care that we don't create a "Premier League" of stories and sticky it forever more, give the new ones a chance! :)
it wasn't my intention to make a 'stories i like' thread. i just thought it would be a little more convenient if the good ones were listed at one place. stories on this thread have been suggested by various users so its not just my choice of stories. but i agree that just adding current stories might draw attention draw attention from other new ones which are not on the list. i initially intended for this to be a collection of stories that had been going on for some time and, as the name would literally suggest, have ended. but i agree that as the listing currently stands it might create some elitism. also you did show how the poll idea could become redundant. what if the thread just contained links to all stories that have lasted for more than 1 season along with stories that have ended. that way any new story will be added pretty quickly(because if the author is serious about the story 1 season should not be much) and this will not cause any bias for or against any story.

The career of Josh Gregg is quality (H)

You are the one who made the thread so it is really your opinion. A poll wouldn't work because new threads would miss out. If a story is popular doesn't always mean its the best

You are the one who made the thread so it is really your opinion. A poll wouldn't work because new threads would miss out. If a story is popular doesn't always mean its the best

actually apart from the first few that got added in the beginning all the other stories have been added based on other user's suggestions. i agree with you that a poll will be no good. also as Pompey_Dan said just adding stories that some people think are good might create biases towards them. thats why i'm thinking now that the thread should just list all current stories that have crossed the one season mark and those which have ended. that way it would be completely unbiased which stories are listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.