FM14 – 14.3.1 VanGaalUtd, 3-2-2-1-2, A New Lease Of Life

gazzab1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to give credit to jonathansmith for his tactic which has helped me to come to this set-up.
I have never uploaded a tactic before, but I am a regular visitor to the site. I have a long term save going with the team I support Man Utd,it's been going very well using a variety of tactics downloaded from here. I decided I wanted to try to recreate the system Van Gaal has implemented at United, and I think I've done it.

The tactic plays a lovely brand of football, goals are scored right across the team, and it is very secure at the back. As I said I have long term save going at the moment which is in season 2020/21, as I have read in the past the game seems to get easier the further in you are with all the regens and so on. I decided in order to give the tactic a proper test I would start a new game with United, the results have been steady and pleasing as the potential is there to be seen.

THE TACTIC

View attachment 347292

As you can see I have tried to implement Van Gaal's formation.

There isn't anything spectacular about the set piece set-ups all set to mixed deliveries and players placed in a variety of positions.

FIXTURES
View attachment 347291I played quite a few friendlies to aid in tactic fluidity.

View attachment 347289

Very pleasing set of results.

As you can see I haven't played a great deal of games but really wanted to shareand get some views from you guys.

View attachment 347288

Like I said goals spread right across the team.

OTHER INFO

Don't let assistant manager do Opposition Instructions, they come with the tactic.
Put tactic in all three slots seems to speed up familarity.

View attachment 347286View attachment 347287
663898d1407518892t-fm14-%E2%80%93-14-3-1-vangaalutd-3-2-2-1-2-new-lease-life-league-table.png

Last edited:
Those results are outstanding man! Looks promising! I am hooked on my save right now but may give those a go later on, will test with a lower team though

By any chance did you base this on the umbrella pinball tactic? The player instructions are very very similar

By any chance did you base this on the umbrella pinball tactic? The player instructions are very very similar

Ahh christ, i might well have done i said in my OP i had success with a number of tactics in my long term Utd save, i tweaked a few tactics to try and find what i have now. My apologies to the uploader if i've caused any offence it wasn't my intention. I'm happy to remove this tactic thread (if i can) or edit my opening post to give thanks to the uploader.

Yeah its identical team instructions pretty much and same PI's, sure he will be fine with it if you just give him credit

Ahh christ, i might well have done i said in my OP i had success with a number of tactics in my long term Utd save, i tweaked a few tactics to try and find what i have now. My apologies to the uploader if i've caused any offence it wasn't my intention. I'm happy to remove this tactic thread (if i can) or edit my opening post to give thanks to the uploader.

Do you have alot of shots wasted in this tactic?

Will try this tomorrow, just hope its as good as you show.

This tactic is top notch, but I don't understand why the strikers have different player instructions since they both are trequarista's. They would act differently becuase of that. I mean the left striker have more direct passes and run wide with ball, but the right striker only have shoot less. And since I'm a detailed person I made both strikers have the same, so the right striker got the same as the left. Both now have run wide with ball and more direct passes. As well I tought I would have some instructions for the shadow striker, so I gave him more direct passes and run into space. It's happening so often that one of the strikers running wide with ball and crossing it into the feet of the shadow striker, who have made a good run into space. Scoring for fun. Also removed the player instructions that won't affect the roles they're given, just because it's annoying having them.

BTW this is a great tactic, I'm top of the table with Southend in League 2 after 18 games, predicted 12th. It's suits this team very well because they only have on winger in their squad, and I'm using him in the shadow striker role, because he can play offensive mid as well :)

This tactic is top notch, but I don't understand why the strikers have different player instructions since they both are trequarista's. They would act differently becuase of that. I mean the left striker have more direct passes and run wide with ball, but the right striker only have shoot less. And since I'm a detailed person I made both strikers have the same, so the right striker got the same as the left. Both now have run wide with ball and more direct passes. As well I tought I would have some instructions for the shadow striker, so I gave him more direct passes and run into space. It's happening so often that one of the strikers running wide with ball and crossing it into the feet of the shadow striker, who have made a good run into space. Scoring for fun. Also removed the player instructions that won't affect the roles they're given, just because it's annoying having them.

BTW this is a great tactic, I'm top of the table with Southend in League 2 after 18 games, predicted 12th. It's suits this team very well because they only have on winger in their squad, and I'm using him in the shadow striker role, because he can play offensive mid as well :)

You think it will work with a team like Man City?

Im using it on my Crewe save every so often and I am finding that the defence is super leaky! Now about the player instructions he didnt actually set them up JohnathanSmith did on another topic, this guy just switched round the positions and it appears to be working

This is going swell, had a lucky string of first matches but still looks to work well, the build up to some goals are gorgeous too!!

View attachment 347068

3 PL games in, top with most scored and obviously least conceded :) This no CL is a blessing in some sense :p

View attachment 346925 View attachment 346924

Only 3 games away from equalling the consecutive clean sheet record!! This tactic is working tremendously so far, conceded 1 goal in 6 in all competitions and that was with a weakened side away at carlisle in the Capital One Cup!! Top tactic and great blend of 2 setups !!!

do you play with OI? and whats your match prep? thnx

brilliant work the best tactic that i used lots of goals and from all players ...good job ...