FM15 Initial Thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter iamauser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 112
  • Views Views 37K
Can someone post the first season top scorers of different divisions and how many goals?

Is Victor Valdes still in the game? He was my top goalie in FM14...

Weird and frustrating so far. I'm with Liverpool, no purchases, and I'm playing a 4-2-4-0 tactic with no strikers as I want to try this approach. Problem is, I have been on one side SMASHING teams, literally ( I won Roma 5-2 away, 3-0 Barca home, 4-1 everton home etc) but the next game after a smash I get dominated and beaten 2-0, 3-0 easly. Also I get some freaky CCC' around 11, 6 & 8's a lot.

Weird and frustrating so far. I'm with Liverpool, no purchases, and I'm playing a 4-2-4-0 tactic with no strikers as I want to try this approach. Problem is, I have been on one side SMASHING teams, literally ( I won Roma 5-2 away, 3-0 Barca home, 4-1 everton home etc) but the next game after a smash I get dominated and beaten 2-0, 3-0 easly. Also I get some freaky CCC' around 11, 6 & 8's a lot.

Makes sense, for a strikerless tactic. That's how they perform in real life too: see Spalletti's Roma for example. It works a **** of a lot less well against defensive sides than it does against proactive ones.

Yeah, I have the same issue with a 4-3-3-0. If you're anything like me, then your CC are often coming from fast through balls, long balls over the top, low crosses from one wide player to the AM/other winger or runs from your wide players, all of which are deceptively hard to score from. In other tactics, a CC is often a player being put through on goal, getting a completely free header or something relatively simple, but when you're playing with a strikerless tactic your chances are often from difficult angles and at high speed. The stats are misleading in that way: I would say that a good 30% of what the game classifies as CC for that kind of tactic are basically half chances. Sometimes you just get bad luck as well: I had 5 CC vs Spurs in 25 mins last night and ended up losing 2-0, despite Soldado getting sent off 30 mins into the game.

I can't say why you're conceding without looking at your tactic, but if you're using ramdeuters or IFs then your opponent's fullbacks will often get a lot more space. Given that the game is currently very iffy on defending crosses that could explain your problems at the back.

Last edited:
Crossing is much better. Down scales wingers and upgraded strikers for a more even approach to scoring from crosses and through balls out wide.

Only problem I'm seeing is dodgy goalkeeping and the pass backs. I just try to lower my defence line and play more direct to solve this but I'm sure that this game has the potential to be the best yet

Leaking goals is not too much my concern. I'm playing with a very attacking minded setup, which is almost 4 players who are at the top waiting for a long ball to turn into attack, so I'm actually sacrificing my defense for attack. but the problem is one time my team dominates the play, then on the other my team couldn't pass a ball for sake. The opponent does what ever they want from us. I figured I need to create two different tactics as playing with one will simply give me inconsistent results, but even when I tried to tweak the tactic to a more possession and domination, I still get schooled. :P

What do you guys think might be the solution? A tactic tweak, different tactics or ditching the strikeless system?

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the same issue with a 4-3-3-0. If you're anything like me, then your CC are often coming from fast through balls, long balls over the top, low crosses from one wide player to the AM/other winger or runs from your wide players, all of which are deceptively hard to score from. In other tactics, a CC is often a player being put through on goal, getting a completely free header or something relatively simple, but when you're playing with a strikerless tactic your chances are often from difficult angles and at high speed. The stats are misleading in that way: I would say that a good 30% of what the game classifies as CC for that kind of tactic are basically half chances. Sometimes you just get bad luck as well: I had 5 CC vs Spurs in 25 mins last night and ended up losing 2-0, despite Soldado getting sent off 30 mins into the game.

I can't say why you're conceding without looking at your tactic, but if you're using ramdeuters or IFs then your opponent's fullbacks will often get a lot more space. Given that the game is currently very iffy on defending crosses that could explain your problems at the back.

I get the same sort of thing but with a 41221. Just lost 2-3 against Arsenal and had 6 CCCs and 5 HCs and lost 2-3 (1 goal was a HC). Happening a lot as well, getting 3+ CCCs each match (and they are mostly proper 1v1, no one but the 'keeper chances as well [according to the visual representation of the ME anyway]) It happens to the AI as well, Arsenal scored 1 of their 3 CCC's and their other 2 goals weren't even HCs.

I don't know if it's just me, but I am LOVING the new UI! Has a new gloss, new feel, best FM ever! :D

Don't throw away a tactic that works against big teams. Does your team have trouble against teams that park the bus, or just against certain formations? You do need a plan B.

My attacking, direct passing 4-3-3 played well against everything except against 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. For my plan B, I kept my formation, but changed my mentality from Attacking to Control, went from Exploit the Flanks to Exploit the Middle, and Direct Passing to Shorter Passing. These changes helped me beat the next 4-4-1-1 team I faced, and help me protect a lead late in the game.

Don't forget that inconsistent players and poor morale can lead to plenty of missed chances. My best Inside Forward had good morale but was upset over being left out of his national team, and he had his worst game of the season.

Back