FM22 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE CHALLENGE

1642135258927.png

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Having had a miserable summer after being rejected by both Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund I arrived at FC Porto 2 games in on a bit of a downer but I am revigorated now after the season we just had. We won all domestic titles (3 by me), played some scintillating football and the squad is really beginning to take shape to challenge the big guns in Europe.

Domestically we are nigh on unbeatable as we lost only 1 game all season (and 2 in all comps) and we clinched the title by 14pts, scoring 109 goals in the process and only conceding 19. The domestic cups took care of themselves and we handed out some huge thrashings along the way.

As ever the Champions League is where it is at and we made it through the qualifying rounds before smashing the group stage that included Barcelona with 6 wins out of 6!!!! Alas we were eliminated in the next round by Bayern Munich who beat us 3-0 at the Allianz Arena and although we won the 2nd leg 2-0 it wasnt enough. That ended up being a huge missed opportunity as AC Milan ended up claiming the title by beating Arsenal so all the big guns fell by the wayside.

Looking at players individually my attacking talent really shone. Gabriel Barbosa scored 41, Luis Diaz 31 (plus 17 assists), Matias Arezo 27, Fabio Vieira 22 (plus 33 assists) and even Lennert Coppens got into double figures with 11 goals - crazy numbers!

Heading into the summer with the 2026 World Cup with Scotland ahead I am fully envisaging myself to still be at Porto next season unless a huge opportunity arises at one of the big boys such as Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich for example.

--

PRIMEIRA LIGA

ft.png

--

SQUAD

squad.png
squad2.png

My Player of the Season - Fabio Vieira
My Young Player of the Season - Luciano Fontana
Must Do Better - Daniel Braganca
Donkey of the Season - Sergio Vidal​

1642136472293.png

SCOTLAND

Friendly
nigeria.png

Lineup
- Clark, Ramsay (Patterson), McTominay, Tierney (McKenna), A.Robertson, McGinn (F.Robertson), Gilmour, Christie, Turnbull, Gauld (Fraser), Adams (Smith)

I am quite disappointed that we didnt manage to win this fixture but they had some attacking talent out there. We did have a goal disallowed but I expect us to play better when the tournament gets underway.

--

Friendly
ghana.png

Lineup
- Clark, Ramsay (Patterson), McTominay (Welsh), Tierney (McKenna), A.Robertson*, McGinn, Gilmour (Mowatt), Christie (Fraser), Ferguson, Gauld, Adams

Despite winning the game thanks to 2 stunning efforts from Ferguson and Adams we are left disconsolate here as Ryan Christie and Kieran Tierney went off injured and will be out for 3 weeks so their World Cup may be over before it has even begun.

--

SQUAD FOR THE 2026 FIFA WORLD CUP

Goalkeepers
NAMECLUBAGEPOSCAPSGOALS
Liam KELLYMotherwell30GK350
Ed McGINTYAberdeen26GK00
Jed STEERPortsmouth33GK90

Defenders
NAMECLUBAGEPOSCAPSGOALS
Tom McINTYREReading27DLC60
Scott McKENNACeltic29DC491
Scott McTOMINAYBarcelona29D/MC683
Nathan PATTERSONRangers24DR351
Calvin RAMSAYFC Porto22DR291
Andrew ROBERTSONLiverpool32DL903
Kieran TIERNEYArsenal29DLC661
Stephen WELSHCeltic26DRC242

Midfielders
NAMECLUBAGEPOSCAPSGOALS
Ryan CHRISTIEBournemouth31AMRC6427
Lewis FERGUSONAberdeen26M/AMC194
Ryan FRASERLevante32AMRL378
Ryan GAULDVancouver Whitecaps30AMLC244
Billy GILMOUREverton24MC357
John McGINNAston Villa31MC8112
Alex MOWATTWest Bromwich Albion31M/AMC30
Finlay ROBERTSONCrystal Palace23MC101
David TURNBULLCeltic26M/AMC2412

Forwards
NAMECLUBAGEPOSCAPSGOALS
Che ADAMSBrighton & Hove Albion29ST5742
Oli McBURNIEDinamo Moscow30ST5423
Jack SMITHKilmarnock19ST32

1642139139574.png

SCOTLAND

FIFA World Cup Group I
senegal.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay (Patterson), McTominay, McKenna, A.Robertson, McGinn, Gilmour (F.Robertson), Fraser (Smith), Turnbull, Gauld*, Adams

Yes we won and I am delighted with that but we had 4 players injured here. Gilmour (3 weeks) and Fraser (a month) have had their tournaments ended while thankfully Ramsay and Patterson are only out for a couple of days.

--

FIFA World Cup Group I
nzl.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay, McTominay, McKenna, A.Robertson, McGinn (Mowatt), F.Robertson, Smith (McBurnie), Turnbull (Ferguson), Gauld*, Adams

We were completely dominant here and we should have scored a lot more but I am happy to settle for 2, a clean sheet and more importantly no more injuries! Into the next round we go...............
group.png

--

FIFA World Cup 2nd Round
colombia.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay, McTominay, McKenna, A.Robertson*, McGinn, F.Robertson (Mowatt), Smith (McBurnie), Turnbull (Ferguson), Gauld, Adams

What a performance!!! We fell behind early doors but bounced back in fine style as we tore Colombia apart. Turnbull levelled from the penalty spot and then in the 2nd half Scott McKenna headed us in front. We peppered their goal and finally clinched it in stoppage time when Adams took advantage of some poor defending.

--

FIFA World Cup 3rd Round
austria.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay, McTominay*, Tierney, A.Robertson (McIntyre), McGinn (Mowatt), F.Robertson, Smith (McBurnie), Ferguson Gauld, Adams

We reach the quarter-finals!!!! I was expected to guide us to the 3rd round but we have went one better with victory here. Sure we were helped by them having a man sent-off after only 3min but I fancied our chances anyway.

--

FIFA World Cup Quarter-Final
italy.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay, McTominay, Tierney, A.Robertson, McGinn (Ferguson), F.Robertson, Christie (Smith), Turnbull (Welsh), Gauld, Adams

The fairytale is over. We did quite well but having Scott McTominay sent-off had us doomed!

1642229841410.png

PRE-SEASON

So for the first time in this save I am starting a 2nd season with the same club! The only job that became available that was slightly tempting was the AC Milan job but I didnt get it and to be quite honest I am not sure that I would have accepted it anyway! Instead I turned my attention to improving my Porto squad - after the World Cup was finished that is!

Alas it was very difficult to improve the first team with barely £20m to spend and at the time of writing (1st August 2026) all I have done is sign some backup players so my first XI is the same!

--

PLAYERS OUT

Daniel Braganca was the main departure as he left to join Fiorentina for £11.75m which means we made a decent profit. He couldnt force his way into the starting XI and with Baro and Mukhamedov ahead of him I felt it was right to cash in. Fabio Cardoso is also off to Italy as I sold the 31y/o CB to Napoli for £6.75m.

Other than that I sold David Vinhas to Almeria for £125,000 and Alexander Schagler to Bournemouth for £1.3m while I loaned out Sergio Vidal.

--

PLAYERS IN

My main signing was that of Bruno Duarte. The 19y/o central midfielder was signed from Famalicao for £14.25m. He will replace Braganca in the squad and he is a top prospect for the future.
duarte.png

Other than that I signed a young Slovakian CB for £1m and a new backup keeper for £700,000.
macho.png
ayesa.png

1642233339663.png

AUGUST

Supertaca
arouca.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay, Leite*, Vegas, Guerreiro (Victor Matheus), Vitinha, Adli, Vieira (Arezo), Arthur Henrique (Mukhamedov), Coppens, Gabriel Barbosa

We werent at the races here but still managed to win to claim the Supertaca. Gabriel Barbosa scored the only goal of the game after he was moved to the RW due to Vieira going off injured and he is out for 3-4 weeks.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay, Leite, Vegas, Guerreiro, Vitinha (Baro), Adli*, Gabriel Barbosa, Arthur Henrique (Otavio), Diaz, Arezo (Simoes)

A fine start to our league campaign as we notch 4 goals away from home. Pedro Simoes came off the bench to make his debut here. I signed him as a teenager in my first spell at the club and he was out on loan last season but he is back with us and is my 3rd choice striker.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay, Victor Matheus, Tuta, Guerreiro, Vitinha, Adli, Gabriel Barbosa (Vieira), Arthur Henrique (Otavio), Diaz*, Arezo (Simoes)

Another 4-1 victory! Tuta made his debut here. I signed him recently to replace Fabio Cardoso in the squad but he has since been promoted up a level. More of which below...........

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay, Victor Matheus, Tuta, Guerreiro, Vitinha (Mukhamedov), Adli*, Gabriel Barbosa, Arthur Henrique (Vieira), Diaz (Coppens), Arezo

Not bad. We dominated throughout and netted 3 goals with Gabriel Barbosa again scoring from the RW!!!! Vieira and Otavio are not fully match fit and while normally I would still play them I have cover so it gives other players a chance to impress.

--

4-1.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay (Tavares), Tuta, Botman, Guerreiro, Vitinha, Adli, Gabriel Barbosa (Vieira), Otavio (Arthur Henrique), Coppens, Arezo*

Another goal from the RW for Gabigol. Admittedly 3 have been penalties. Vitinha scored from distance and Coppens scored direct from a free-kick. Sven Botman made his debut here.

--

SUMMARY

On the field everything has carried on from last season. Sure we struggled to beat Arouca in the Supertaca but in the league we have won all 4 games by 3 goals with 3 games ending with a 4-1 final score and I havent played my strongest starting XI yet!!!

Interesting news regarding transfers though...........

I needed a new CB to act as cover and with just £7m to spend my options were very much limited but I found Tuta at Gremio and paid £6m for him. He is quite pacey and coming up to his prime so I felt that he would do a good job for us.
tuta.png

Then just days later my beloved Newcastle United bid £64m for Sebastian Vegas!!!!!! I had to accept that offer as he was about to turn 30 and I felt that the deal was too good to turn down however I was only allowed 35% of any transfer income and Monterrey would be due £17m of that fee so to find a replacement was going to be tough but the Chilean was on his way.

I was looking at loan deals and then stumbled upon Sven Botman. He was available for £25m which was more than double my transfer budget but I asked the board if they could go the extra mile and they did!!! So the Dutchman is my new CB and is definitely an upgrade on Vegas.
botman.png

I did sell another player as Roberto Carlos Medeiros went to West Ham for £10.75m.

As for the Champions League we have been given a very tricky group as we will play my former side Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund and Basel.
1642265065632.png
1642265084608.png
1642265118184.png
1642265172366.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GABRIEL BARBOSA
GB.png

--

PRIMEIRA LIGA
AUG.png

1642281910013.png

SEPTEMBER

viseu.png

Lineup - Costa, Fontana (Tavares), Tuta, Botman, Guerreiro, Vitinha, Adli (Baro), Vieira, Otavio, Diaz*, Gabriel Barbosa (Arezo)

Luis Diaz was the hero here with a fantastic hat-trick and he has scored in all 4 of his league appearances this season.

--

UEFA Champions League Group H
basel.png

Lineup
- Costa, Fontana*, Leite, Tuta (Victor Matheus), Tavares, Mukhamedov, Baro (Duarte), Gabriel Barbosa, Arthur Henrique, Diaz, Arezo (Simoes)

I rested several players here but thankfully we got the win thanks to 2 early goals from Arezo and Gabigol. Arezo also had one disallowed.

--

moreirense.png

Lineup - Costa*, Ramsay, Leite (Tuta), Botman, Guerreiro (Tavares), Vitinha, Adli, Vieira, Otavio (Arthur Henrique), Diaz, Gabriel Barbosa

A standard victory with yet another penalty! Thats 4 in 5 league games so far.

--

Taca da Liga 3rd Phase Group B
vfk.png

Lineup
- Costa, Fontana, Tuta, Victor Matheus (Macho), Tavares, Mukhamedov, Baro (Duarte), Jorge, Arthur Henrique, Diaz*, Simoes (Arezo)

Out came my backups bar Costa and Diaz and in came the goals lol. I promoted Filipe Jorge to the first team squad in the summer and he got a debut goal here.

--

academica.png

Lineup - Costa, Ramsay, Leite, Botman, Guerreiro (Tavares), Vitinha, Adli, Vieira, Otavio (Arthur Henrique), Diaz, Gabriel Barbosa*

Another 4 goal haul and yet another penalty!!!!

--

UEFA Champions League Group H
chelsea.png

Lineup
- Costa, Ramsay, Leite, Botman, Guerreiro (Tavares), Vitinha, Adli (Baro), Vieira, Otavio, Diaz, Gabriel Barbosa (Arezo)

A decent result but a poor performance as they battered us in truth. Vieira bundled the ball home to give us a first half lead but we just couldnt hold on and they scored from a set piece after missing several guilt edge chances.

--

SUMMARY

Another strong month - they always seem to be at Porto! Having said that despite having won all of our games we are 2nd in the table as Benfica have played a game more and also won 8 out of 8 and we play them next!

In the Champions League we beat Basel and drew with Chelsea so our upcoming fixtures against Borussia Dortmund will be key if we are to progress from the group.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
LUIS DIAZ
DIA.png

--

PRIMEIRA LIGA
SEP.png

--

1642282268088.png

SCOTLAND

UEFA Nations League Division A Group 3
poland.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay, Welsh, McKenna, Tierney (Hickey), McGinn*, Gilmour, Christie, Turnbull (Mowatt), Gauld, Adams (Smith)

Not bad. Andy Robertson has retired from international football again and I havent been able to get him to change his mind so Kieran Tierney shifted across to LB. Aaron Hickey came off the bench to make his international debut.

--

UEFA Nations League Division A Group 3
spain.png

Lineup
- Kelly, Ramsay (Patterson), McTominay, McKenna (Welsh), Tierney, McGinn, Gilmour (Robertson), Christie, Turnbull*, Fraser, Adams

WHAT A MATCH!!!

WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!!

WHAT A RESULT!!!!

This was a crazy affair as we come out on top against Spain in a 7 goal thriller. They led 3 times but we didnt give up and battled back to equalise 3 times with Turnbull scoring twice and Tierney also netting with a header. Then in stoppage time a long punt up the park found Che Adams and he found himself clean through on goal and he finished to give us a famous victory.

I think save has ran its course after 4 seasons. Getting quite bored of winning every game and not getting anywhere lol. Had an inkling for a new save which I will go for until at least when the official transfer update happens.

I think save has ran its course after 4 seasons. Getting quite bored of winning every game and not getting anywhere lol. Had an inkling for a new save which I will go for until at least when the official transfer update happens.
Thats a shame mate but I get it, I struggle to enjoy a journeyman club hopping save!!

Thats a shame mate but I get it, I struggle to enjoy a journeyman club hopping save!!

Got an idea for a save to tide me over until the new update comes up - even though I do update the database regulalry. Then once that save dies inevitably lol I have another couple in my head.

Yet to find my true long term save. Red Star Belgrade was last years which I loved