Football Manager 2012 : Liverpool Thread

From day one of getting the job, I knew exactly what, or should I say who I wanted. Edinson Cavani. Obviously with only £2m to start with, I had to sell to buy, within about a week or so of taking over, I managed to sell Brad Jones, Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Skrtel, in the process bringing in £10.5m and wiping about £100k p/w off of the wage budget. This enabled me to bring in Cavani. £2m upfront and £24m over 48 months. So my starting eleven, when fully fit is:

GK: Reina
RB: Johnson
CB: Carragher
CB: Agger
LB: Enrique

MCL: Adam
MCR: Lucas

AMR: Downing
AMC: Gerrard
AML: Suarez

ST: Cavani

Subs: Doni, Kelly, Wilson, Henderson, Shelvey, Bellamy, Carroll

I am using a 4-2-3-1 formation with 2 CM's and hopefully it all comes into place nicely, a few injury problems at the moment however with Gerrard, Carra and Shelvey out. First league game of the season coming up now. At Anfield... Against United...

Napoli accepted that?!

You got lucky no?

Napoli accepted that?!

You got lucky no?

Yeah man!! And yep dead lucky.

Oh, I did put 30% of profit of next transfer as well, but I'm not selling him so that's redundant really.

---------- Post added 23/10/2011 at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 22/10/2011 at 10:44 PM ----------

Luis Suarez, damaged cruciate ligaments, out for 9 months, out for the season.

We really are screwed money wise aren't we?! Would love some feedback on Andy Carroll if possible! I'm going ot be startin my Liverpool game soon and want to know! :)

Start of November, the board just gave me £15.5m to spend. YES.

Carroll has been great for me. Scored 11 in 15 league appearances as a lone target-man.

Brilliant, where do you have Suarez then? Out right with Downing Left? Lucas DMC by chance?

how are you playing suarez? Only got 1 goal in 9 matches.

Suarez is replicating his rl form in game for me, last 6 games 27 shots, 12 on target, 0 goals lol. Playing him on left inside forward swapping with advanced forward striker. 6/75 goals to shot ratio

I was having problems with Suarez too. I found that using him as a lone central striker in the trequista role is what works best. I didnt realise that this is what my coaches reccomend too, and so far it has been working well as I am seeing the goal returns that a player of his qualty should be achieving. Not sure if it matters but I use two pacey winger with the attack command (Downing and Adam Johnson)

Carroll has been firing for me two as a lone target man. Simple

Finished my first season with Liverpool. 4th Place. League Cup winner. Sacked.

You have no choice but to challenge for the title or win it. Personally I can't compete with Man City or Utd yet, who finished about 9 points ahead.

Is it really fair to be expected to challenge for the title in your first season, with a budget of £16m or so. Getting sacked after getting back into the Champions League and winning a trophy doesn't seem fair at all.

Don't have a question or anything but I thought I would share my experience of Liverpool in the demo so far. Decided to use Liverpool as my team to test the demo and it's going okay. My only defeat in opening 8 games was 3-0 to Wigan of all people. Awful result I know but in my defence they have also beaten United 3-0 and City. :S Also drew with United 1-1 and the rest are wins.

Only signed one player- Tshabalala- for backup and versatility. Also trying to give some youngsters time such as Shelvey, Flanagon, etc. In terms of tactics I'm using 4-4-2/ 4-2-3-1

------------Reina------------
Johnson-Agger-Skrtel-Enrique
--------Lucas--Adam---------
Kuyt------Gerrard-----Downing
----------Suarez--------------

As expected Gerrard and Suarez are working very well together. Agger is putting in some good performances as a ball playing defender. However the wide players have been average so far, especially downing- if I can get that right we will have a good chance of mounting a title challenge.

Perfect thread for me to start posting in....!

Downing, unexpectedly, has been a bloomin revelation for me. Im sure its going to come grinding to a halt, but so far he has 1 goal and 8 asissts in 6 appearances. Im playing him LW as a Winger with Attack duties.

Like a few people already it seems, I identified Maxi Rod and Skeletor as the players I wanted to offload. Skeletor has been replaced with Shawcross, still hunting for a young talent to back up Kuyt in the right wing position though. Really struggling to find one. Also want to get in another DM. Sissoko (Moussa) or M'Vila would be ideal, but I think theyre out of my budget. Oh, to have Masch back.... Also brought in John Fleck as back up to Downing. Want to use Bellamy more as a striker than a winger.

With Stevie G out at the beginning if the season, I was playing thus:

------------Reina------------
Johnson-Agger-Shawc-Enrique
-------Lucas---------------------
------------------Adam----------
Kuyt--------------------Downing
--------Carroll---Suarez--------

Now that Gerrard is back though, Im operating Suarez as a lone striker, with Gerrard Playing AMC directly behind, and Carroll on the bench.

Top of the league at the moment. Opening fixtures have been kind. Started with a 2-0 over Wigan, followed by a 5-0 thumping of Fulham at the Cottage. Hangeland had a 'mare, scoring an OG and giving away possession in the 18yard box twice to Suarez for easy goals. Then came a 2-0 win over Villa. Fast forward a few games, and Im about to get my first real test against Man Utd.

****, thats seriously harsh.

I only get FM every 2nd season as a rule, so my last game was FM2010. But comparing Gerrard now to then, seems to me his skill set has been seriously downgraded. Anyone else agree...?

Think Comolli should be in the Director of Football role as well. Though you'd only get added realism if he were making suggestions on transfer targets, etc.

same with me surprisingly andy carroll has scored more than him suarez has scored about 2 for me in 10 games :(

Are you allowed to ask a player to reconsider retirement more than once?? I just had rotten luck as Stevie G was just about to make his return from the injury he has at the start and then Craig Bellamy broke Gerrards leg in training. The next thing I know Gerrard says he is going to retire at the end of the season. I have asked him to reconsider but he refused.

Who could I replace him with?? I was thinking about Hamsik but suggestions are welcome.

Are you allowed to ask a player to reconsider retirement more than once?? I just had rotten luck as Stevie G was just about to make his return from the injury he has at the start and then Craig Bellamy broke Gerrards leg in training. The next thing I know Gerrard says he is going to retire at the end of the season. I have asked him to reconsider but he refused.

Who could I replace him with?? I was thinking about Hamsik but suggestions are welcome.

What season are you in?

Where are you playing him? AMC or CM?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

You have no choice but to challenge for the title or win it. Personally I can't compete with Man City or Utd yet, who finished about 9 points ahead.

Is it really fair to be expected to challenge for the title in your first season, with a budget of £16m or so. Getting sacked after getting back into the Champions League and winning a trophy doesn't seem fair at all.

Huh? I finished 4th place with no trophies what so ever and I wasn't sacked. I reckon you chose "Winner" as season expectation?

What tactics are everyone using with Liverpool? Not just formations?

What season are you in?

Where are you playing him? AMC or CM?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Huh? I finished 4th place with no trophies what so ever and I wasn't sacked. I reckon you chose "Winner" as season expectation?

That is weird. No, I definitely did choose Title Challenge. I don't know why on earth I got sacked then! The only thing I can think of is asking the board for more money half way through the season. Other than that I can't see why they'd sack me for finishing 4th with a trophy. Very annoying though.

That is weird. No, I definitely did choose Title Challenge. I don't know why on earth I got sacked then! The only thing I can think of is asking the board for more money half way through the season. Other than that I can't see why they'd sack me for finishing 4th with a trophy. Very annoying though.

Hmm... That might be the only explanation. How did your season go? I was in the top 4 from day one, which might have had something to do with it.

Hmm... That might be the only explanation. How did your season go? I was in the top 4 from day one, which might have had something to do with it.

It was pretty good, I was yo-yo'ing between 3rd and 4th the whole season. Then with about 5 games to go I was getting the "Liverpool manager close to being sacked" type messages. I thought maybe this years edition had made the media more realistic and speculative, and the sacking rumours were just media rubbish. But no. Last game of the season, away game against 2nd place Man City, I get a draw. Secure 4th place and 1 point off 3rd place. I was very happy and was thinking about the new signings I could make to push onto a title challenge and enjoy playing in the Champions League next season. But no, sacked!

Playing him in AMC role, i'd go for Eriksen, a player that i've not heard anyone give a bad review