Football Manager 2013 - The Youth Academy Challenge (Let's Play & Discussion)

TheFMHub

Reaction score
Intro - Hello everybody, recently on my Youtube channel I have been doing Football Manager Experiments, and almost all of them have got a great response from people on this forum and on Youtube.

I've wanted to re-boot the youth academy challenge that I started on my channel a while ago, with a new team and a fresh start.
The Youth Academy Challenge Rules (Taken and edited from Neoseeker) -

YACHeaderV3_zps441058ff.jpg

Mission: To take a low club (eg. from Blue Square North/South) to Champions League glory by being 100% reliant on your youth academy products. Therefore, no signings at all. However, the hiring of backroom staff is allowed.

Instructions:
  • To do this, you will need the Football Manager 2013 Database Editor and you can get this like this: Open up Steam > View > Tools > Football Manager 2013 Editor
  • Download the Editor and once downloaded, load up the database of the game: File > Load Database...
  • Click on Clubs on the sidebar on the left-hand side and search for the club that you will be using.
  • Double-click the team and on the left hand side, go to Stadium.
  • Change these facilities so it looks like this:
255769f.png

• Do not change any other settings as this will be considered cheating.
  • If you're starting in the county league I suggest changing your club from Amatuer to Semi-Pro so you dont get all your players poached right away.
  • Save these settings and exit the Editor
  • Once this has been completed, create a new game and Enable Changes. Afterwards, choose whatever nations you want and what leagues you want. However, ensure these settings are ticked below:
97nxb8.png

My Team

I looked at quite a few teams that I could possibly be, teams in the Blue Square Prem/South and North didn't really appeal to me. I wanted to start a bit lower, and South Park FC stood out to be due to the name. I previously started the Challenge with Wembley FC, we're trying again with South Park FC. And we're going to document it all on youtube!

The Youth Academy Challenge - Episode 1 [Introduction] - Football Manager 2013

[video=youtube;gAhLlSwda6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAhLlSwda6c[/video]

View attachment 353420

Subscribe to my channel - TheFMHub - YouTube

***Post Discussion of the challenge, my videos, and anything else related to me or the challenge***

Last edited:
I always love bringing youth through to become superstars, this can be something for me to look forward to once these **** exams are dealt with. Watched lots of your videos so far as well like the experiments, they've been really good, thank you making them :)

I always love bringing youth through to become superstars, this can be something for me to look forward to once these **** exams are dealt with. Watched lots of your videos so far as well like the experiments, they've been really good, thank you making them :)

I've never been good at bringing up youth, but I feel I've improved a lot while playing this challenge.

And thanks mate, means a lot :)

Looks interesting!

I will try to start tonight if its possible...

I'm sort of already doing this in my Ajax save. I'm in my fifth season now and have only bought players who were 17 or younger. I'm not doing it because of a challenge though, just because it is my way of managing :)

looking good pal, like the story and challenge, started with maine road fc

looking good pal, like the story and challenge, started with maine road fc

The story is good fun and a big challenge! It's always good to start with a really low league side, I find it much more enjoyable.

New video of the challenge from me, I'll stick up some screenshots as well if you dont have time or dont want to watch my videos!

The Youth Academy Challenge - Episode 2 [Hello Wembley FC..] - Football Manager 2013

[video=youtube;V_jX7BwjobY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_jX7BwjobY[/video]

I decided to start this with Dover, but it still says that I have a very poor youth facility?!?

I decided to start this with Dover, but it still says that I have a very poor youth facility?!?

Make sure you have made your changes and brought them into the game with you. When you start the save you'll have the option to check DB changes? You may have forgotten to tick that off.

My update so far - Im on 25 November.

League Table

View attachment 354435

My Squad/Tactics

View attachment 354438View attachment 354439

My Star Players

View attachment 354434View attachment 354436View attachment 354437

Make sure to post your updates and screenshots in this thread!

Just waiting for your intake in March.. Going to be some crazy good players coming through!

Would be good to see people try the same challenge without editing anything, would be difficult!

Just waiting for your intake in March.. Going to be some crazy good players coming through!

Would be good to see people try the same challenge without editing anything, would be difficult!

Yep hopefully I will get some quality players in.

I did think about doing that challenge, but it's probably a 50+ year challenge!

Definitely going to try this! I will update you on my success if I have any lol

So, just started with Welling United and my squad looks as follows:
View attachment 354617

And these are my "star" players, described as soon to be good league 1 players:

View attachment 354620View attachment 354621View attachment 354622

The season has so far started out very inconsistent... But what could you expect with a XI with 10 youngsters...

You're bound too start off inconsistent, but putting as many youth players in early is important! I'd love to see some screenshots of your tactics/league table/results

New video from me!

The Youth Academy Challenge - Episode 3 [Winning!] - Football Manager 2013

[video=youtube;-eKno3jHl_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKno3jHl_s[/video]

For anyone taking part in the challenge make sure to post your updates!

So... First season is over and it ended with success! Got real tight in the end but took a massive win away against Boreham! A couple of good runs, not South Park FC worthy, but still got the job done ;)

Results:
View attachment 356179View attachment 356180

Table:
View attachment 356181
Had ALOT of draws wich I hope to correct next season...

I've been using a tweaked version of Raikans Complete Madness 433 most of the time. But as I said, got to correct all of those draws so I will add a third tactic for next season!