Football Manager 2014: Slider Removal ? good or bad?

KazMaras

Reaction score
Football Manager 2014 Preview: Slider Removal ? good or bad? | The Coffeehouse: FM Discussion

What do you think? And how do you live with not having the sliders, if your so use to them like me?

Personally I'm most interested to see how I cope with not being able adjust my defensive line to pretty much where I want it to be... width and tempo too, not having sliders for those three is going to take adjusting.

How do you set your defensive line in FM 2014? .. defensive line shouts 'play deeper' 'play higher' like in FM 2013

How do you set your width and tempo?

Width I would guess would be your 'play wider' and 'play narrower' in-match shouts.

Tempo?

In terms of personal instructions, without looking at it personally its hard to tell but after reading a few blogs it seems that we will still have the control we are all use to ...... because I don't know about you but when it came to say pressing I'd have 4 settings max:

4 clicks. Drop off.
8 clicks. Start pressing when the ball gets into your final 3rd.
13 clicks. Press more.
18 clicks. Press the whole pitch.

In FM 2014 with no sliders it would be:

Pressing

Pre-match instruction: Close down less & In-match team shout: Stand off opponents = Drop off.
Pre-match instruction: Close down less = Start pressing when the ball gets into our defensive final 3rd.
Pre-match instruction: Close down more = Press more.
Pre-match instruction: Close down more & In-match team shout: Hassle opponents = Press the whole pitch.

Pressing seems pretty flexible and when you look at not too different 'control wise' as previous FM's... right?

The personal instructions that I'm wanting to know are in FM 2014 in some form, are:

Runs into space.
Cross the ball.

Passing style isn't able to be adjusted differently for each player, the defense 'direct' - the advance attackers 'short' anymore, right? Its about getting the team to play together as a 'team' all set to the same passing right?

I'm just just getting head around, as much as I can now .... anyways.

Last edited:
Suppose it improves realism, so that can only be a good thing?

I think shouts overturn all instructions given, so i think it will not work like you said...

I want to see how this is addressed in the demo before I decide whether to buy it now or wait till after christmas

I want to see how this is addressed in the demo before I decide whether to buy it now or wait till after christmas

This.

I'm kinda confused tho', the sliders are/were really good and I liked being able to see what personal instructions my players were given ....... maybe the 5 percent increments, 20 options is not realistic ... it could been changed so you have less control - just 3 options in regards to mentalities, defensive/balanced/attacking - pressing less/average/high --- team things width just 3 options - narrow/normal/wide ... tempo - slow/normal/quick ............ then you use touch line shouts to make further adjustments etc etc..

But maybe they have nailed it, just gotta wait and see.

Suppose it improves realism, so that can only be a good thing?

I see that said above a lot but as I've elsewhere - if you asked Charlie Adam to play as a Regista, he would look at you like you were stupid... try telling Lampard to play as an Englanche, stupid looks like you talking to brick wall you will getting.. hahaha

But realistically would you do that? .. ask an English player to play a South American role.

I see that said above a lot but as I've elsewhere - if you asked Charlie Adam to play as a Regista, he would look at you like you were stupid... try telling Lampard to play as an Englanche, stupid looks like you talking to brick wall you will getting.. hahaha

But realistically would you do that? .. ask an English player to play a South American role.

Would you ask a player to play 5 clicks deeper?

But it's just a name for a role. In real life, you would tell the team to use "PLAYER X" as the focal point of the build up and ask "PLAYER X"to stay deep and spread balls around, always being in constant movement BEHIND the ball, always being the easy passing option.
For one match, you could tell the team that " we see out chances down the flanks with quick counter attacks so get the ball to the wingers. " and you "PLAYER X", get forward as often as you can to support our striker as this game is not about winning and keeping possession but to but them hard on the counter. ( play as a central mid/attack)

Last edited:
Removal of the sliders is more real.....but at the same time I feel im limited on what I instruct my players to do based on their roles.

NOTHING MORE REAL.. in real life you have more freedom to express your points to players and what they are doing wrong.. You can talk to them for hours, make videos for them etc.. Sliders represented that freedom.. I dont see anything "more realistic" on the new system. And at first, it is a game, it will be never real as the real coaching and you will never have possibilities to tell players what to do like in the real life, so I am very tired of the "more real argument".. Trainings, explaining things and creating a working tactics etc .. It takes hours, weeks and months.. In FM you just can create a working tactic with any team from the day one, the game is not hard at all. Comparing FM series to the real football and coaching is like comparing Battlefield or CoD to a real war.. The tactic system needs complete overhaul.. You still cant tell players where to move during attacking or during defending.. Players cant play 2 roles in the same time/game like in the modern footbal. The tactic creator and all were dumb and didnt represent possibilities of modern football and tactics at all and now, they made it even more dumb proof, simplier etc..

Last edited:
NOTHING MORE REAL.. in real life you have more freedom to express your points to players and what they are doing wrong.. You can talk to them for hours, make videos for them etc.. Sliders represented that freedom.. I dont see anything "more realistic" on the new system. And at first, it is a game, it will be never real as the real coaching and you will never have possibilities to tell players what to do like in the real life, so I am very tired of the "more real argument".. Trainings, explaining things and creating a working tactics etc .. It takes hours, weeks and months.. In FM you just can create a working tactic with any team from the day one, the game is not hard at all. Comparing FM series to the real football and coaching is like comparing Battlefield or CoD to a real war.. The tactic system needs complete overhaul.. You still cant tell players where to move during attacking or during defending.. Players cant play 2 roles in the same time/game like in the modern footbal. The tactic creator and all were dumb and didnt represent possibilities of modern football and tactics at all and now, they made it even more dumb proof, simplier etc..

the game has become all about the noobs

The new system has features that make more powerful way to create tactics. Set instructions for position specifically for such and such player. I assume it would also consider somehow the general team instructions. Saving those presets and loading them for a player for different positions. It wouldn't work with sliders. It would be a point for the introduction of lots of serious bugs and in the very least an extremely clunky and uncomfortable way to manage the new tools.

I think the removal of sliders was an inevitability.

Loving the new system.

Like how (once set at the start) that for example subbing off RVP and bringing on Chicharito will automatically change his role to a Poacher with simplier passing, move into channels etc.

W4nker Im waiting for your Modern Warfare creation for FM14 :)

Really? Well if it's as dumb as you claim it to be, then why did previous versions help ex-players like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in his dugout career at Molde? To criticise something that has only just come out-in a beta phase-is a bit farcical. And not hard? Yeah okay. It's so easy everybody is winning everything. Now if you said that FM 12 was flawed I would agree. But FM 13 (and by the looks of it FM 14) was a massive improvement in terms of realism.

So to say this version has been made "more dumb" is just worthy of a facepalm.

W4nker Im waiting for your Modern Warfare creation for FM14 :)
Tactic uploads will be very different this year I think without the sliders as I have different settings for each individual players.

First tactic I put together is going well.. (Man Utd)

View attachment 463814

Will upload it as I'm curious to see if it provides the individual player settings..

EDIT: Yes it does provide the individual player settings. That's good.

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are right W4NKER. They changed the tactic system so everybody needs to learn to tweak their tactics on their team. I think every year the amount of 'plug and play' tactics will decline drastically.

W4nker could you please post screen of your formation for this tactic ? Thank you.