Football Manager 2014: Slider Removal ? good or bad?

Would you ask a player to play 5 clicks deeper?

Not I'd tell my defensive line/back 4 to just drop off 15-20 meters... or show him this:

View attachment 463798

first blue circle far right ( 5 clicks....)
second from the right (10 clicks.....)
third from the right (15 clicks....)
halfway line (18 plus....)

****** ****, W4NKER, did you call in a sickie or what that you could finish a season that quickly?

W4nker have you change assistant manager in Utd ?

This.

I'm kinda confused tho', the sliders are/were really good and I liked being able to see what personal instructions my players were given ....... maybe the 5 percent increments, 20 options is not realistic ... it could been changed so you have less control - just 3 options in regards to mentalities, defensive/balanced/attacking - pressing less/average/high --- team things width just 3 options - narrow/normal/wide ... tempo - slow/normal/quick ............ then you use touch line shouts to make further adjustments etc etc..

But maybe they have nailed it, just gotta wait and see.

To clarify the defensive lines:

Real football has 3 main defensive outlooks. Low, Medium and High Block. By default you will be in medium block, drop deeper is low block, Push Higher is high block. In addition you have two more: Stand off ( drop your d line to the lowest position) and Hassle Opponents, (d line to highest possible position) so you have 5 stances within any given mentality (you never really had 20 with the sliders by the way there was no visual difference between 19 and 20 for example). Bearing in mind that these stances are relative to each mentality ( the higher the mentality, the higher the average point of the defensive line) you actually have a very large choice of defensive line.

I just love the 442. Gonna try W4NKER's 442 with Everton and see how it get's on. I think they have the correct personnel for it. We'll see.

To clarify the defensive lines:

Real football has 3 main defensive outlooks. Low, Medium and High Block. By default you will be in medium block, drop deeper is low block, Push Higher is high block. In addition you have two more: Stand off ( drop your d line to the lowest position) and Hassle Opponents, (d line to highest possible position) so you have 5 stances within any given mentality (you never really had 20 with the sliders by the way there was no visual difference between 19 and 20 for example). Bearing in mind that these stances are relative to each mentality ( the higher the mentality, the higher the average point of the defensive line) you actually have a very large choice of defensive line.

Yeah there is quite a lot of choice, in a lot of ways I prefer it.

Really? Well if it's as dumb as you claim it to be, then why did previous versions help ex-players like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in his dugout career at Molde? To criticise something that has only just come out-in a beta phase-is a bit farcical. And not hard? Yeah okay. It's so easy everybody is winning everything. Now if you said that FM 12 was flawed I would agree. But FM 13 (and by the looks of it FM 14) was a massive improvement in terms of realism.

So to say this version has been made "more dumb" is just worthy of a facepalm.

FM13 is on of the worst game in the series and a buggy mess. After every patch, there were serious problems. Before the first patch, every team parked the bus with counterattacks. Fullbacks and wingbacks didnt defend wingers at all. During patches, once we got godlike defenders or all players became new Maradona. Dont forget about the new pressing when 4 or 5 players followed a player with the ball leaving other unmarked and free to score. Short corners dont work till today and throw ins are broken still even in FM14. Such a short memory. You saying "a massive improvement in terms of realism" I say : facepalm

goo.gl/Eoio

FM13 is on of the worst game in the series and a buggy mess. After every patch, there were serious problems. Before the first patch, every team parked the bus with counterattacks. Fullbacks and wingbacks didnt defend wingers at all. During patches, once we got godlike defenders or all players became new Maradona. Dont forget about the new pressing when 4 or 5 players followed a player with the ball leaving other unmarked and free to score. Short corners dont work till today and throw ins are broken still even in FM14. Such a short memory. You saying "a massive improvement in terms of realism" I say : facepalm

goo.gl/Eoio

Meh. Fair enough. But you're wrong if you say it's the worst of the series, when in FM 12 you had players running through each other.

After some matches done (about 10), i have to say: good.

Team instructions and player instructions are quite intuitive and really easy to change ingame, so its better.

Also, a lot of so called FM Tactic Gods will see that slide one/try/error/slide more/try until you find a glitch is gone. Now you will have to think like a real manager :D

I'm actually loving the new tactics system now. Having preferred the old classic tactics with sliders and ignoring the modern TC since it came into fm I wasn't sure I would like it.
i think one of the best things they have done is allow multiple roles and instructions for one position, that's made it so much more flexible for me. When using the classic tactics I would often not bother changing players instructions when making subs or when leaving someone out for a different kind of player, it was too time consuming, but also it meant when things wernt going my way it was also long winded to change all the players settings to adjust to the situation. Now I've set up my tactics and instructions for multiple players and I can sit back and watch.
will get through seasons a lot quicker now.

Meh. Fair enough. But you're wrong if you say it's the worst of the series, when in FM 12 you had players running through each other.

To be fair, players are still running through each other. I see it almost every game.

To be fair, players are still running through each other. I see it almost every game.

I havent noticed that, but I've seen players crashing into each and falling over quite a bit then just standing around for a few seconds before doing anything, it doesn't look right.

I havent noticed that, but I've seen players crashing into each and falling over quite a bit then just standing around for a few seconds before doing anything, it doesn't look right.

Just finished a game where Sterling ran straight through De Gea and scored. Another thing I've noticed is that after making a sliding tackle, a player will often stand completely still for a couple seconds.

Previously we would know the default instructions in a players role, now we have to guess it. Some how we are being told "ok, you are the managers but you can only tweak what WE (we, at SI) think you can tweak. I understand that many people had a lot of trouble dealing with the previous system (sliders and notches) and maybe SI thought that it would help ending it by not allowing a free customizing of the tactic. The idea seems good, the result... not so good or at least it needs a lot of improvement. Then we have situations that needs some clarification. For example: why must we choose a FB with an attacking role to get him crossing from a deeper position ? Why can this FB cut inside but an Inside Forward can't ? Why can't we choose to instruct our player to not cross at all ?
Not to mention, bad explanations and translations in the description of the player roles

Previously we would know the default instructions in a players role, now we have to guess it. Some how we are being told "ok, you are the managers but you can only tweak what WE (we, at SI) think you can tweak. I understand that many people had a lot of trouble dealing with the previous system (sliders and notches) and maybe SI thought that it would help ending it by not allowing a free customizing of the tactic. The idea seems good, the result... not so good or at least it needs a lot of improvement. Then we have situations that needs some clarification. For example: why must we choose a FB with an attacking role to get him crossing from a deeper position ? Why can this FB cut inside but an Inside Forward can't ? Why can't we choose to instruct our player to not cross at all ?
Not to mention, bad explanations and translations in the description of the player roles

Because you can't ask an InsideFC to do what he is already doing ( cut inside), fbs attack don't cross for deep, but you ASK them to instead etc

Because you can't ask an InsideFC to do what he is already doing ( cut inside), fbs attack don't cross for deep, but you ASK them to instead etc

We don't know what are they already doing, we don't get to see the role's default instructions.
As for the FB's the point is that maybe, just maybe, it's more logic a FB with a supporting role to cross from a deeper position that an FB with an attacking role. The FB (support) has this option unavailable.