Forget Mick McCarthy - The Wolves success

Zagallo

Reaction score
As the jokers in Gillette Soccer Special predicted the doom of Wolverhampton Wanderers through the Premier League back door at the end of the season, I decided to give them a go, and cheer up the supporters.
I have to say to Mick McCarthy, after last week's game against Arsenal, ooooiii Mick, that was not a good idea of narrowing the pitch 5 meters on each side,!!
so I told the groundsman to make it the maximum allowed, so we can play flowing attacking football, and to avoid teams parking a double decker bus in front of the goal, like Man City did, trying to keep Given's record of 395 mnts without conceding going, but unfortunately for him, he went home belly full, with 4 in the net.
So Wolves supporter's cheer up, as the top of the table clash of the titans is coming, Wolves at Old Trafford. As long Gary Neville plays we have the chance of a massacre.

Press conference before match, journalists are asking me, if the chanting from supporters " It's like watching Brazil" is not going to bring more pressure. Pressure? What's this? pressure is on Man U, already half of the team with moral down. For God sake, I would have been too playing against this Wolves team, it is so scary that Gary Neville can't sleep.
My only concern is, if the Ref's name is Mike Dean...
More news to follow...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

im going to make a wolves story tonight as well. good luck ;)

Good luck mate, brilliant start so far :) Great results vs Blackburn, Bolton, Man City and Chelsea, keep it up. And cmh9090, you've got your 600th post now :p lol

Thanks kinger74, I've turn them into mushrooms.
The team is selling confidence at the moment, they truly believe we can beat anybody, home or away is the same for them. Just imposing our style of play against any team.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I know some people may be wondering how, well, there's one thing I'm uncompromising with, is my style of football.
Here is my philosophy; None of this long and direct ball rubbish, we respect the supporters who pay to watch us and expect entertainment, passing, and flowing attacking football. So, to achieve this there are a few things I expect from players that want to play in my team. Players with less than 10 in passing and with little chance of improving are top candidates for transfer list. No technique, anticipation, determination or composure as well, and they are queueing towards the door.
If you can't pass, you can't play!!

Last edited:
I know some people may be wondering how, well, there's one thing I'm uncompromising with, is my style of football.
Here is my philosophy; None of this long and direct ball rubbish, we respect the supporters who pay to watch us and expect entertainment, passing, and flowing attacking football. So, to achieve this there are a few things I expect from players that want to play in my team. Players with less than 10 in passing and with little chance of improving are top candidates for transfer list. No technique, anticipation, determination or composure as well, and they are queueing towards the door.
If you can't pass, you can't play!!
Very true. I give any player a chance, within reason of course, but we all have our different ways :)

yeah i hate long ball its not football in my opinion, my philiosophy is, when making new signings try and blend them into the team

If you can't pass, you can't play!! I'm sorry Zubar, Berra, Vokes, Craddock, Elokobi, Jarvi, Keogh, Iwelumo, D.Jones, Ward.

Last edited:
I don't have a certain philosophy quite honestly, I play to my teams strength, at Portsmouth it was building the team around my key players, e.g Kaboul, Boateng, O'Hara (whilst he was there), Dindane and Piquionne. Here now at Sunderland I don't build my team around anyoneee, we either have our philosophy as 'Rigid' or 'Very Rigid', this is mainly due to Sunderland having a lot of players who works in pairs, e.g, Cana and Cattermole, Jones and Bent, the 'Rigid' or 'Very Rigid' philosophy makes sure each player is doing their job and doing the basics, and so far it's working :)

i keep it rigid too, bolton being an ugly strength team have to keep it that way

When I start an Arsenal game for example, I will use Fluid as that will suit us.

As I said, the team is selling confidence, and they are start believing now we are building solid foundations for the future. We just murdered them, had Ferguson running down the touchline shouting orders for Rooney to play as a right back as Evans and O'Shea were being overrun and made to look like they were ****** on San Miguel cerveza, by a 20 year old Brazilian kid. Hit the bar, countless 1 v 1 against Kuczak and later Foster, as none of the keepers couldn't cope, Vidic tackling from behind 3 times when through on goal and not even yellow card, was feeling like calling the MI 5 to investigate this referee. At the end we were camping inside their own half, piling pressure after pressure, that at the end I start feeling sorry for Man U.
Made them look like an Army football team.

very good, always nice to see the rags lose though it doesnt happen often, how did you get such a good team with wolves im interested to know

I can tell already your a good tactician, some people are just naturally good luckily for you, I've gotten a lot better since joining this site though, slowly getting there

I can tell already your a good tactician, some people are just naturally good luckily for you, I've gotten a lot better since joining this site though, slowly getting there
yeah same before the site i didnt know ****, but reading those theroems helped, it tells you what works well, like for example counter attacking wont work with slow players, or a winger is no good without running and crossing etc, i have just made a good tactic for bolton, so hopefully i can keep it up, my dad and my brother are good at tactics, guess it doesnt run in the family towards me lol

My tactics are hit and miss most of the time depends what team I am lets face it anyone can create a tactic with a top team ive just made one on my Peterborough game which looks good nice and attacking which is playing to the teams strengths so we shall see

very good, always nice to see the rags lose though it doesnt happen often, how did you get such a good team with wolves im interested to know
Gabon Tiger, nice name though, most people hate the 1st transfer window , but I take my time looking at the squad carefully and checking who to sell and keep, depending of few critical stats as I said before, and if they will fit my tactic. The way I play and tactic used, keeping possession, passing ,attacking, off the ball runners, dictates who will be needed to fill some pivotal roles.
My squad consists of 22 players and 3 GK, mostly 2 players each position, and usually 5 players that can play different roles.
I don't play to my team's strength as a lot of people do, because it is a sword of two edges, and you can't try to win games only with your team's strength, because football is dynamic, constantly changing in 90 mnts, so you will need plan B, and when you need plan B, means you are in trouble. So the first thing is to dominate through possession and controlling the tempo.
Second, work through the backbone of the team; good GK playing at sweeper when attacking, at least 3 good CB, 2 good all round CM or DM and 1 Striker, I spent my whole budget(4 M) in 1 striker, excellent finisher and good in the air , but then I had to be ruthless if we were to survive, so I sold 17 players and brought in 16, the most expensive being striker 4 m and attacking midfield 1.5 million, the rest averaging 500 K or for free. Retraining Halford from Right Midfield to Def-Mid, the guy is 1,90 m tall and good promising stats for Def-Mid, as one of the ugliest thing in a football pitch, is a right winger 1,90 m tall, running with the ball down the line.
So after being in the transfer list the whole of pre-season, he may have a future now as a Def-Midfield. I'm even starting hating my striker as the guy is a d*ckhead, he just doesn't miss!!

lol is the striker cabanas?
Yep, he just finished Tottenham off with another 2 goals, taking his tally to 10 goals in 10 games

Finally, after a run of 12 games without losing stretching from beginning of the season until end of October, we lost in a Carling Cup match against Arsenal. I expected Arsene Wenger to play with the kids, so I gave my reserve team full of youngsters a chance to taste real football, but the Frenchman tricked me and play the main team , Fabregas, Arshavin, RVP, Vermaelen, I mean, the lot. Now, I realise he was scared of the Wolves Wanderers. So, the Gunners rushed into a 3-0 lead in the beginning of 2nd half, but knowing the confidence of my team even though it was mainly the reserve team with a 17 year old kid in defense, I didn't change anything, just kept playing our football. Boy oh boy, I'm happy for our supporters as they are not the kind to leave the stadium early after Arshavin made it 3-0 on the 55 mnt, as they were about to witness one of the comebacks of the century and the most exciting game Wolves fans have been involved.
Santiago Garcia, a 19 year old striker made it 1-3 on 57 mnt, I brought in 3 players on 65 mnt, and the impact was immediate. Ebanks-Blake 2-3 on 70 mnt, Cabanas 3-3 on 79mnt, to take it to extra-time, with Ebanks-Blake missing two 1 v 1 against GK in injury time, after running from halfway line on his own and instead of shooting, decided to run to corner flag to waste time. I guess he still traumatised by the Mick McCarthy experience, and haven't been able to clean his mind from the ugly football he was brought up to play. Shocking!!
Even though he scored again in extra-time making it 4-3 to drive the Molineux crowd nuts, I still haven't forgive him. As the Molineux faithful were on their feet witnessing a bit of history in the making, RVP scores twice to equalise and winning it with 3 minutes to go. There was a moment of deflation after leading 4-3 from 3-0 down, but they know I'm positive and taking in consideration it was mainly my reserve team with unexperienced youngsters, their baptism of fire couldn't be more praised. We are over the moon as the future looks bright, the future looks yellow and black.

Next, Premier League football again, Arsenal away and Liverpool at home. Fantastic!!

Last edited:
You are a tactical genius, you certainly know how to 'beat the game' Cabanas is on fire for you

Shame about Arsenal game but Wolves can only go so far