Forget Mick McCarthy - The Wolves success

C'mon Gabon, my tactics are well beyond any of this guys. I've got another on the tactics section that I used with Hull FM2009, champion 1st season.

Which team do you play with?
Your a tactical genius and modest with it,watch you dont get your head stuck when walking through doorways ;)

Yeah it seems this guys got it licked.

After a few weeks out on international duty in the sun, the Wolves bandwagon is back.
After beating West Ham 5-3 home and Portsmouth 3-2 away the fixture list for next 8 games is very nice indeed. 8 games against bottom half teams can give us a chance to pounce on Chelsea and charge for the title on the very first season in charge.
Results
Stoke 3-2 H - Cabanas(2) and Sanchez
Burnley 1-0 H - Ebanks-Blake
Blackburn 2-1 H - Cabanas and Surman
Bolton 1-1 A - Cabanas
Wigan 4-3 H - Masilela, Ebanks-Blake, Belleti and Cabanas
Aston Villa 1-0 A - Smolarek
Birmingham 3-2 H - Ebanks-Blake (2) and Smolarek
Fulham 4-2 H - Cabanas (2) Ebanks-Blake (2)
In the mean time my reserve team was defeated 1-0 v Fulham FA cup 3rd round.
Salvador Cabanas keeps banging them in, he's an assassin in front of the goal and probably imo the best all round finisher in the game.
Next fixture list is going to decide the season between Wolves and Chelsea. Next is the clash of the titans, 1st v 2nd at Stanford Bridge.
then Man City, Man U, Tottenham, Arsenal, Everton, Sunderland and Liverpool.

this is insane, good luck to you. second season's gonna be impossible.

Thanx Marc.:D
Chelsea at Stanford Bridge 1-1, very good result, so our destiny is in our hands.
A tactical match without big chances so at the end it came down to 2 set pieces. Lampard from a direct free-kick and Mario Bolati at the far post after a free kick from half way line.
Next, a double bill from Manchester, City away and United at home.

how do you do this???
its insane!
shame it couldn't happen IRL :(

Still going strong I see, top class.

Man City 0 Wolves 0 .
A dull draw in another difficult match towards the title challenge. With the next match against Man U 11 days away, a couple of friendlies in between v Luton 2-0 and Hartlepool 3-0 to keep everybody fit and ready for United.
Wolves v Manchester United
With Molineux packed to the rafters, 29.303 supporters watched in disbelief, as Wolves destroyed Man U, in what the pundits described as men against boys in a tactical lesson for United.
With barely 13minutes played, a cross from the right by Ebanks-Blake straight to Smolarek on the far post ,and Gary Neville does what he does best; pull shirt's and kick people, so no debate when Phil Dowd pointed to the spot.
Milijas obliged 1-0.
Minute 21, after an exchange of almost 20 passes Smolarek again stepover G. Neville and cross for Cabanas to anticipate Vidic in the near post and plant a header straight from the technique books bouncing in the goal line, giving Van der Sar no chance, 2-0.
1 mint after, Rossi makes it 2-1 poor defending on 1 v 1.
39th mnt, Krivets and Ebanks-Blake combine from the right and the cross finds Cabanas in the near post to place it to side net in the far post. 3-1 a beauty.
So when a long through ball from inside my half to the left for Cabanas to run into, and he crosses to far post for Ebanks-Blake to make it 4-1 no one was surprised as United were outplayed and Ferguson was outwit by the tactical brilliance of Mario Zagallo.
With 10 mnts to go, I brought 2 youngsters, so the late goal by Michael Owen to make it 4-2 didn't spoil the awesome display of attacking football.
With Chelsea losing, Wolves takes charge of the PL table for first time in 2009-2010 season, 73 points v Chelsea 70, Arsenal 62 and Man U 59.

First time in the PL lead and a trip to Tottenham and Arsenal at home. Nice...

Tottenham 3 Wolves 3 - Doyle, Belleti and Cabanas

After leading twice, Wolves find themselves losing 2-3, but a Cabanas beauty makes it a draw 3-3.

Wolves 3 v Arsenal 1

After a half-time goalless, a Cabanas double, mnt.54 and 69, the crowd goes wild, and the roof almost explode when Ebanks-Blake capitalise on an excelent footwork by Cabanas to make it 3-0. Little consolation for the Gunners when Bendtner scores with 5 mnts to go.

Wolves 4 v Everton 1

Run-of-the-mill victory against a poor Everton side. They can't keep possession and very poor technique,so no problem for Doyle(2) and Cabanas(2) to share the spoils.

Seating nicely at the top. The supporters are starting to believe the impossible might be possible, a few pundits will have to eat their hats.

Sunderland 0 Wolves 2 - Cabanas and Ebanks-Blake
Liverpool v Wolves

43.000 supporters to watch what could be the last stop for Wolves in our quest for the Premier League title, since 1959. With 5 games to go and Hull [H], West Ham [A], Portsmouth [H], Stoke and Burnley away it would be almost a tragedy to lose the title.

Liverpool started brightly and no surprise when Voronin gives them the lead 1-0.
Having the most of the possession, Wolves waste 2 clear cut chances to make it 1-1.
As the chances kept coming and going, I was fearing it could be one of those days when nothing goes your way, precisely when you needed most.
Against the run of play, Babel makes it 2-0 before half-time.
In half-time I thought for a minute about drastic changes, but in the back of my mind I knew I should keep faith in my team.
This is not an ordinary team, an amazing squad of players and staff, so I knew anything could happen.
With the team playing an average 7.6 and Ebanks-Blake 5.9, I gave him until minute 65 to prove himself.
Minute 62, Kevin Doyle 2-1, so Smolarek come on for Ebanks-Blake, and impact is imediat.
Wolves is pressing hard. Minute 85 a nice interplay between Smolarek and Cabanas, to setup Krivets outside the box, for a low shot bottom corner.Game on.
Minute 90, 5 minutes injury time.
Minute 90+4 Smolarek wins the ball on the left of the halfway line, and quickly releases Cabanas in the centre, a quick acceleration, he waits for Reina to come out and outside the box he slots the ball in the bottom corner. 2-3 and the come back is complete. Liverpool players protest but at no avail.

cabanas is ******* amazing, oh my god its ridiculous, i bought him for my getafe save, 35 goals in 38 games along side soldado who had 40 in 41, they own together, try and get soldado second season

Game 34 - Wolves 3 v Hull 0 - Krivets, Mancienne and Cabanas
A very poor first half, maybe nerves are beginning to show, bad time now, that we have the finishing line in full view. Needed a Kevin Kilbane red card before half time, to make some impression into the game, and even like that reached half-time 0-0.
Then a quick double in 46 and 49 mnt,by Krivets and Mancienne to settle the nerves, an the inevitable Cabanas to kill it off 3-0. A red card later on to Raul Goni did not make any difference at the end.

Game 35 - West Ham 2 Wolves 4 - Ashton (2), and Belleti, Ebanks-Blake, Bolati and Milijas.

A solid performance against a very lively Hammers side, Belleti give us the lead with 5mnt on, a missile outside the box, Ashton equalise and Ebanks-Blake penalty makes it 2-1 halftime.
Bolati and Milijas turn the pressure on West Ham survival hopes with two well taken goals and Ashton late shot, to finish 4-2. Beauty

Game 36 - Wolves 2 Portsmouth 0 - Cabanas and Doyle
Wolves pick up where we left off against West Ham and finishes the game with 2 quick goals before minute 10.
Cabanas 39th goal of the campaign, in the 3rd minute and Doyle's header minute 9th, kill the game before it even started.
Chelsea's defeat at home to Man U 1-0 and a draw away to Arsenal 1-1, means that a draw away to Stoke in the game 37 and Wolves will be champions in the very first season.

Neeeexxxt , I've got milk baby...

Game 37 - Stoke v Wolves
A draw is enough to secure the EPL for the first time.
As usual, we go on the offense, doesn't matter if its home or away, minute 44, Ebanks-Blake 1-0.
The supporters go wild, jumping and singing, its Carnival time, and the drums come out when Doyle makes it 2-0 minute 50.
The Premier League title is sealed with a Higginbotham og, and even a late Beattie goal minute 89 is cheered by Wolves supporters.

Game 38 - Burnley v Wolves

With the EPL in the bag its party time, I fielded a team of less used players, and even a Bolati goal and Bikey og, doesn't change the party mood.

WOLVES IS PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HERE WE COME

Cabanas is top goalscorer with 39 goals
Cabanas and Smolarek top assists with 15
Cabanas top man of the match 13
Cabanas top average rating with 7.62

Game 37 - Stoke 1 v Wolves 3
A draw is enough to secure the EPL for the first time.
As usual, we go on the offense, doesn't matter if its home or away, minute 44, Ebanks-Blake 1-0.
The supporters go wild, jumping and singing, its Carnival time, and the drums come out when Doyle makes it 2-0 minute 50.
The Premier League title is sealed with a Higginbotham og, and even a late Beattie goal minute 89 is cheered by Wolves supporters.

Game 38 - Burnley 0 v Wolves 2

With the EPL in the bag its party time, I fielded a team of less used players, and even a Bolati goal and Bikey og, doesn't change the party mood.

WOLVES IS PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HERE WE COME

Cabanas is top goalscorer with 39 goals
Cabanas and Smolarek top assists with 15
Cabanas top man of the match 13
Cabanas top average rating with 7.62
and Mario Zagallo is Manager of the year 2009/2010

Season 2010/2011 is under way, and a massive problem now after signing a few players unaware of the 25 players rule, plus 8 home grow players rule too. I will have to sell players who just signed and release a few others too. A hard blow already, before even the pre-season start.
Massive headache after signing Marquinhos, and Riquelme. Half of the team that helped win the title have to go, and it's going to be unfair on them to be on transfer list, after the success of winning the EPL.
What to do next?

After winning the Premier League with Wolves in the first season in charge, and going in the 2nd season in the Champions League adventure with Wolves, I would like to know from those who have had some experience of Champions League with a lesser challenging team, what to expect.
Does your average PL players perform in the Champions? Because some are consistent in the PL, but in CL they are nowhere to be seen
I managed to sign Riquelme, Marquinhos, and Jamie O'Hara and Tomkins from West Ham to get to 8 home grow players, but with the likes of Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Karl Henry, and a very young team it seems struggling will be the name of the game, but the positive thing is we sell confidence home or away.