From deep within Sweden, to the top of the World!

ac90z5.gif

Nybergsund IL Trysil

Norwegian First Division

October 2021

fxe3uu.jpg

A disappointing result. We played well but couldn't find the net. More bad news, Strommen won their match. Now we are 4 points back of the playoffs with 3 matches to go. There's no room for error.

kdts9l.jpg

In the 83rd minute I put on a third striker on the pitch for the first time in my managerial career and went to a 3-4-3. A stunning volley by Olsen sent the home fans into euphoria. It would be short lived however as we learned Strommen were victorious once again. We're running out of sand in the hour glass of this season. We have dead bottom Tromsdalen at home next. We cannot mess this one up.

2aexwgl.jpg

We could have scored more, but it wasn't necessary. Tromsdalen never threatened and we won with ease. The more important thing is the scoreboard. Strommon unfortunantly for us, won once again, guaranteeing themselves a playoff spot. However there was an opening with Mjondalen losing away to Sandnes Ulf, 3-1. Mjondalen is now sitting in 6th place, just 3 points clear of us. We are not out of it yet as we hold the goal differential advantage if it comes down to it. They are home against 2nd place Honefoss! We are on the road against 1st place Ull/Kisa. The title is still very much in doubt going into the last weekend and we'll be desperate for a shock win. Two matches that all of Norway will surely be watching.

I decided to go with my 4-5-1 counter tactic. The plan is to keep it scoreless and go for the late smash and grab victory. It may be our only chance against this superior side on their grounds.

The game begins exactly as me and my staff have planned. The first half is uneventful. Not a single clear cut chance was created by either side and my 5-deep midfield has bogged down Ull/Kisa's attack. We'll go into the ssecond half with the same plan, and maybe they'll get desperate. A quick look at the scoreboard is unsettling to us. Mjondalen leads Honefoss 2-1 at halftime. We can't worry about that now and have to just take care of what's in front of us.

15 minutes goes by in the second half. Ull/Kisa has no interest in winning this match. A draw gives them the title. We will have to open up our attack. I decide to shock them with the 3-4-3 we used a few matches ago to grab us a late winner. Erik Skjaestad and Sabah Mukaber come on. The move nearly pays off immediate dividends. A cross comes in front of the left and Mukaber's header smashes off the front of the crossbar. So close. Another clear cut chance gets stuff in the 89th. We cannot get the win and our season is over.

I'm proud of the team to fight til the end but overall I'm extremely disappointed in this season. We should have been better than this. From the effort in the preseason, to our sluggish start, to our miserable 5-match losing streak. Too much complacency. Too much slacking off. There will be changes this offseason.

xe3omq.jpg

ac90z5.gif

Nybergsund IL Trysil

Norwegian First Division

Preseason 2022

Before I get into my usual Preseason schtick here, let's take a quick look at some of the careers my former player's at Tegs SK have had.

Yosif Ayuba - My first key signing and star defensive midfielder at Tegs. I bought him for $6K in 2013 and two years later sold him for $140K to Umea. He would play for Umea for 7 years. 2 years in, he helped them to promotion to the Swedish First Division Elite, and then another 4 season later, he lifted them to the Swedish Premier Division. He played 13 matches in that one season and then retired at the relatively young age of 31. He got his coaching certification and is looking for his first job on that front.

Hurriyet Durkal Atik - Turkish defender that came through the Tegs youth system while I was there. He is now 26 years old. I was forced to sell him to Sirius in the Swedish First Division Elite for $100K. He's beginning his 5th season there this year. He's yet to get an cap from the Turkish senior squad.

William Edvardsson - The attacking midfielder prodigy is now with Brage in the Swedish Premier Division. I would honestly love to have a playmaking machine like this guy. He racked up 17 goals and 32 assists in 3 seasons for me at Tegs as a teenager.

Tegs SK are still in the Second Division North. Too bad. Their fans deserve better.

Alright. Onto our stuff. First, the board expanded the stadium once again. This time by 400 seats. The stadium has been increased in size by 1000 since I've arrived. We've gone from 1500 to 2500!

I was only able to bring in one impact player. Joachim Muri Snekkvik, 20-year old GK. This kid is mature beyond his years. No flash, no *****, just all business. He's earned himself 2 caps from the Norwegian u21 squad. I found him playing for some god awful Second Division club that he couldn't save from relegation, but not to his fault. He's already better than what I got and he more room to grow.

I was unable to bring in anybody else from outside the club but we got some good news within the club. Several of our youngsters who've been working on their trade in the reserves look ready to contribute:

Truls Dahlen - 17 year old AMC - He's only been in our system for one year and the kid made huge strides. He piled up a bunch of goals and assists for the reserve side and has climbed to #2 on the depth chart behind Ferid Sejmenovic.

Halgeir Nordtomme - 18 year old AMR - He's been with me for two seasons. I arranged a loan deal to HamKam in the Second Division last year and he nearly got them promoted, bringing them to 2nd place. He appeared 25 times for them, scoring once with 9 assists and 6.84 average rating. I could see him getting action this year for us.

Torgeir Thomasssen - 18 year old DR - He's also been in my reserves for two years and is just beginning to blossom. He'll be the backup this year to captain Lars-Kristian Fridjtofsen and he looks like my future at the position.

Joakim Lundevall - 17 year old MC - The prize of my young up and comers. He also played on loan at HamKam last year and he was spectacular running their midfield (2 goals, 5 assists, 6.93). He's going to be getting instant playing time for us whenever we pack our midfield with our 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 formations. His future is VERY bright. I expect him to be on the field for the season opening kickoff.

Training camps went better this year. More guys coming in fit and ready. Better focus, better practices, everybody is training better than they were at this time last season. Maybe the extra competition from the youngster is pushing the veteran players on.Hopefully that translates into success..

Last edited: