From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
images

YEOVIL 1 - 2 WATFORD
Huish Park. Att: 6,663

A win today to keep our playoff hopes alive. Neil Mellor opened the scoring with only a minute gone, giving us the perfect start. Adam Le Fondre doubled our lead after 35 minutes scoring a routine tap in. Andrew Williams pulled a goal back for the home side, but we held on.

images

WATFORD 3 - 2 HUDDERSFIELD
Vicarage Road. Att: 10,196

Brilliant victory against a side in the playoff places and to win it in the manner we did was very delightful. Adam Le Fondre carried on his goal scoring form giving us the lead on 25 minutes. But Huddersfield hit back through Rory Donnelly after 30 minutes, only for us to get back into the lead thanks to Sean Murray(33'). Murray Wallace scored powerfully from a header on 48 minutes to level the score again. Mark Roberts was then sent off for a reckless two footed tackle after 77 minutes, which made a draw look a good result, but Le Fondre(88') two minutes from time slotted home the winner to the delight of the fans and our bench.

images

BRENTFORD 1 - 2 WATFORD
Griffin Park. Att: 5,300

Sometimes you need luck and today we had exactly that. The goals all came in the second half, with Ross Jenkins firing us into the lead after 55 minutes. Serge Gnabry(87') looked to have rescued a point for the hosts, but Adam Le Fondre(92') popped up in injury time to grab the winner.

images

WATFORD 3 - 2 WALSALL
Vicarage Road. Att: 8,533

Despite completely outplaying our visitors today, we still made it a nervy time for our fans. Nyron Nosworthy(43') headed us into the lead, only to score at the wrong end after 44 minutes to send both sides in level at the break. Neil Mellor and then Stephen McGinn scored after 55 and 69 minutes respectively to give us a nice cushion. Taylor McKenzie then scored after 81 minutes to set up a tense last few minutes.

images

HARTLEPOOL 3 - 4 WATFORD
Victoria Park. Att: 7,290

Oh we do make it nail biting for our fans and this game was no different. We lead through Ross Jenkins(4') and doubled the lead from a Stephen McGinn(20') effort to give us a healthy lead at half time. The lead increased when Neil Mellor scored our third after 46 minutes. But back came Hartlepool with goals from Anthony Sweeney(49') and then Thomas Carroll in the 60th minute reduced our lead to one goal. The in form Adam Le Fondre settled our nerves for the time being with a fine well taken goal after 77 minutes. Godfrey Poku(84') pulled a goal back, but we did enough to secure three vital points.

images

WATFORD 0 - 2 WREXHAM
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,033

A disasterous result in our last game before our Wembley outing and maybe that was the excuse as the players under performed big time. We were punished by two well taken goals by Nicholas Bignall after 51 and 86 minutes, which put a big dent in a fine run of form, and stopped us edging further into the play off places.

talksport_logo.jpg

Sam Matterface: "Good afternoon and welcome to TalkSport. We are going live to Wembley stadium to get the latest on the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final. Dants are you there?"

Ian Danter: " Hi Sam and welcome listeners to this intriguing final between League One sides Carlisle United and Watford. The fans are starting to filter into the stadium and I'm just awaiting team news. Both sides go into this game on the back of difficult semi finals, with Carlisle over coming Shrewsbury 6-3 over the two legs and Watford saw off Leyton Orient 4-2 on aggregate.
Both sides enjoy getting the ball on the floor and passing it around, so i'm anticipating a good game."

Sam Matterface: "Dants, do you think that with Watfords' main goal of promotion this could be looked on as a distraction?Where Carlisle on the other hand are safe in mid table and seem to have less to play for?"

Ian Danter: "Well, I spoke to Carlisle boss Terry Burton, and he knows that Watford will be a threat, but has confidence in his side to get a result. And it was similar with Watford manager Andy Samuels, who is in his second successive final, he told me he is determined to be on the winning side this time round, and as always he wants to win this game, but knows that Carlisle will be a tough opposition."

Sam Matterface: "I'm sure it will be a cracker, especially with both sides playing well recently. What's the latest team news?"

Ian Danter: "I've just had team news passed to me and it's positive news for Watford as leading scorer Francois Zoko is back from injury, meaning they have a full strength squad to choose from and same with Carlisle they don't have any injury worries either."

Sam Matterface: "Thanks to Ian Danter for the latest and we will be back with Dants throughout the show with any regular updates."

images

As we pulled up in the coach outside the stadium, it brought back the great memory I had when I took Forest Green to this stage last year. With the disappointment of losing in the final that day, I was more determined than ever not to experience that again. I did have abit of dilema to make though, well in fact two, first do I keep the side that has been doing well of late or do I make the changes I used so succesfully throughout this run and bring back Francois Zoko in the process!
Despite Zoko still not interested in renewing his contract and on the transfer list, I felt he deserved to be in the starting eleven as he is just as prolific as Adam Le Fondre. The only other change I made was I went with a young midfield with Sean Murray replacing captain John Eustace.
Before I could compose myself and start to take in the building atmosphere, we were in the tunnel and ready to go....................

images

Final
CARLISLE 1 - 0 WATFORD
Wembley Stadium. Att: 40,163

It was a very close affair, with both sides having early chances, most notably to us and Nyron Nosworthy who headed over twice in as many minutes. We started to take control and Neil Mellor flashed an effort just wide after great play with Zoko. Into the second half and with Carlisle's first real attack, they took the lead when Lee Miller broke the offiside trap in the 56th minute and sent the blue end of the stadium delirious. With us pushing for the equaliser, Carlisle and Miller had another chance, this time well saved by Scott Loach. Deep in injury time, Stephen McGinn put in a free kick and Mark Roberts rose highest at the back post and headed the ball back across the keeper, I was up out of my seat expecting the ball to nestle in the net, but it clipped the bar and went over. From the resulting goal kick, the referee blew for full time.

I couldn't believe it, a runner up again, I felt certain that I wasn't destined to win this cup. But though disappointment was starting to set in, I couldn't allow it, as we have seven games to make sure the chairman didn't see this season as a failure, so i had to pick the boys up and not let them dwell on the outcome of this match and prepare them for a last push for promotion, starting away against Forest Green on Wednesday night.

images

FOREST GREEN 0 - 1 WATFORD
The New Lawn. Att: 5,147

There was big media hype about my return to my old club, coupled with the fact everyone were expecting our wheels to have fallen off completely. Even though we weren't great today we picked up the win we needed. It was Adam Le Fondre who found the net in the 53rd minute, firing home a left footed shot that beat the keeper at the near post.

images

WATFORD 2 - 0 COLCHESTER
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,249

We got off to a flying start when Zander Diamond(Own Goal) put the ball into his own net after a minute of play. Francois Zoko grabbed his first goal since coming back from injury, when he slammed the ball in off the post after 29 minutes. The rest of the game was littered with needless fouls, resulting in many cautions.

images

WATFORD 2 - 1 TRANMERE
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,181

Five games to go and we hosted a struggling Tranmere side and again not a brilliant performance but a win. The scoreline probably flattered the away team, and with us not even at our best we still mustard over twenty attempts at goal. Adam Le Fondre put us ahead after 61 minutes, with another placed effort. Jabo Ibehre completely against the run of play equalised on 73 minutes, but it was that man Le Fondre(79') who was in the right place at the right time to earn us another win.

images

SCUNTHORPE 0 - 1 WATFORD
Glanford Park. Att: 3,606

Again, and not the for the first time the result was the most important fact in yet another dull uninspiring game. It was the man of the moment Adam Le Fondre(1') who grabbed a very early goal, with a well taken finish and that was enough to seal the victory with only three games left.

images

WATFORD 1 - 1 BARNSLEY
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,401

Two points lost and a potential dent in our race for promotion. We absolutely battered Barnsley, but could only find the break through once, and it was the in form Adam Le Fondre who gave us the lead in the 37th minute. With a rare attcak Barnsley grabbed an equaliser when the much travelled Luis Boa Morte(59') stabbed home from close range.

With results in the other games going our way, the point we gained today plus the brilliant run we have recently been on with four wins out of five, took us into second place on goal difference from Portsmouth who had four goals less than ourselves. There were two games to go and any two of six teams could get automatic promotion, with three points seperating us all, so it was a case of squeaky *** time.

With our destiny firmly in our own hands and knowing that six points from our remaining two games would seal an instant return to the championship, it came as no surprise that I received a visit from our chairman at the team hotel on the eve of our away game against Oldham.

Graham Taylor: "Evening Andy, hope I'm not interupting anything!"

Me: "Erm no, Mr Taylor, just going over some last minute prep for the game. Do come in."

Graham Taylor: "Thank you. Right let me get right to the point, tomorrow is without doubt a huge must win game and I'm sure you are aware that I'm expecting us to be in the championship at the end of the campaign. Make sure you make it happen!!"

Me: "Well yes Mr Taylor, like I always do, I always prepare my team to win. But......"

Graham Taylor: "No, i don't want buts, I brought you here as I have every faith in your ability, now go out and prove to everyone what a talented young manager you are."

Me: "Yes Mr Chairman, I mean Taylor.........See you at the game."

With my own mini pep talk been given to me by my chairman, and after a phone call home to Louise, I decided to have an early night, so i could not have any distractions from what arguably now is my biggest game of my career. I went to bed dreaming that in a week or so's time I could be managing in the championship, and not in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought it would happen after only three years in full time management.......

images

OLDHAM 0 - 2 WATFORD
Boundary Park. Att: 7,049

So this was it, what could be our biggest game of the season, well until the next one!! We setlled very well and took the lead thanks to a sublime finish by midfielder Ross Jenkins(17'). Adam Le Fondre grabbed his 15th of the season on 41 minutes, as we went in at half time deservedly in the lead. There were no more goals in the second period, as all we had to do now was hope results elsewhere had gone our way.

With our direct rivals Portsmouth drawing, and us winning it opened up a two point lead from us in second to Sheff Utd, who had now over taken Pompey, in third. Mk dons lead the way at the top a point ahead of us. The fixture list on the last day had Mk Dons travelling to relegated Walsall, Hudersfield hosting Portsmout at home and Yes you've guessed it, we were at home to Sheff Utd, so it meant 2nd against 3rd amd basically winner takes all and wins promotion.
So with what lay ahead and the added pressure given, albeit in a good way, I got the players in the night before the game and held a brief meeting. All it included was how proud I was of them, that in a short space of time they bought into my beliefs/tactics and did exactly what I wanted from them. Finally I calmly told them, that we could win the game tomorrow, they just needed to keep believing and working together as a team, a very small team numbers wise indeed.

images

WATFORD 3 - 1 SHEFF UTD
Vicarage Road. Att: 14,911

images

Here we go then..........The game kicked off in front of a near full house, with both sides making lots of noise. It was Sheff Utd who sent there fans wild, as Ryan Flynn(3') who fired in across the outstretched Loach to give Sheff Utd the lead and one foot in the championship. Back we came though and responded with a brilliantly taken goal by Neil Mellor(11') who hit a sweet half volley into the bottom corner. Two minutes into the second half and Mellor put us in the drvining seat as he grabbed his second on 47 minutes. We didn't have to wait long to start the promotion party as Mark Roberts dived in at the back post to head home our third after 55 minutes and send our fans crazy and dreaming of championship football next season.

As soon as the final whistle went, I raced down the tunnel and into the chairmans office, who was sitting behind his desk, eyes firmly on Soccer Saturday waiting for the full time results to come through. The wait was tense, as result after result was being read out...."Huddersfield 7........ Portsmouth 2" The reporter real aloud. Brilliant, I thought, that's Pompey out of the automatic slots, now hurry up Walsall/Mk Dons result. It was as if someone was listening because as soon as I finished that thought, the reult was coming across the vidi printer...........WALSALL 3.......MK DONS 1............."Yes!!!!! Get in, We've done it." I yelped and punched the air, jumping around Mr Taylor's office. Next thing I knew he was joining in aswell. We both shared a hug and made our way, champagne bottles in hand to the dressing room to celebrate an unbelievable feat, with my amazing group of players.

Promotion shalalalala

Shalalalalalalala yes indeed!!! Can't believe I won the league. Never honestly thought I could, had play offs as main aim. But went on an amazing unbeaten run in the league. Only downer was losing in JPT final again!! Championship here i come. :P

Good effort on getting to the Championship! Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Good luck in the Championship :D
Thing I like about this is that there isn't too much writing- Normally if there is a huge paragraph I read the first few lines and get bored.

Good luck in the Championship :D
Thing I like about this is that there isn't too much writing- Normally if there is a huge paragraph I read the first few lines and get bored.

Thanks mate, I'm the same. I want to do a great strory, thats informative, but in short stages and only elaborate on the important bits when needed. Glad you are impressed. Cheers. :D

After winning my second league title of my short managerial career, as expected I was booked in for many an interview, to talk about my recent success and plans for the Championship next season. All the talks that I had attended just involved myself, but with my rise up the football ladder Sky Sports News wanted a full length interview with myself and our chairman Graham Taylor live in the studio.
This was something I had imagined doing ever since I had Sky installed at my parents house all those years ago, I know it sounds silly, but Sky Sports is a big thing, everyone watches it and they always had the big name managers on the programme daily and also young promising managers to look out for. This I thought to myself is it, after years of dreaming of becoming a manager of a professional team(which I've achieved) I can now be seen as a talent and people will start to take more notice of the work I'll be doing, I guess stardom is the word I'm looking for, maybe even famous, a word people deep down would love to be and now, maybe just a little, I can start to put myself in that category.

images

***EXCLUSIVE***

images

Jim White: "Good Morning viewers. We have been joined in the studio by Watford boss Andy Samuels and Watford Chairman Graham Taylor. Hello to you both and congratulations on winning League One."

Graham Taylor: "Thank you Jim, we're delighted to be invited to the studio."

Jim White: "So Andy, you must be feeling on top of the world after achieving you promotion in only your third year as a manager?"

Me: "Hi Jim, Yes of course I'm delighted, but alot of my success is down to the hard work put in over the course of the season of my players. I would be lying if when I took charge at Forest Green three years ago, I thought I would be a managing in the Championship so soon, let alone being able to do it at a great club like Watford."

Jim White: " Graham Taylor, you must be thrilled that your patience paid off, and you finally got the man you wanted to achieve promotion?"

Graham Taylor: " It was a wait to get the man to my left, but I was also grateful that Andy released himself from his contract, which showed he really wanted to be here, as much as I wanted him to take this club forward."

Jim White: "Well that leads me to my next question. What are you looking to achieve next season then? And is there money available to strengthen the squad?"

Graham Taylor: "Well I have had to put money into the club, to balance the books, but yes I'm sure there will be some money available to help us retain our league status."

Me: " I have a young squad and we have recently tied down four of our promising players, also Adam Le Fondre has signed permanently. I won't be rushing into anything, I want to ensure I bring the right players in. All in all, I will give it my best to aim as high as possible."

Jim White: " I wish you both all the best for the coming season and I'm sure it won't be the last we hear of Andy Samuels, Watford's bright young manager."

images

My coaching staff and I decided to get the lads back in a week early for pre-season training, with a full week of intense cardio and strength work with an ex army personnal trainer. As we are taking a big step up in quality, being in top shape would be a must, as though we may not be able to compete in the transfer market with the big boys, we can definately match them on the pitch for the full 90 minutes each week.
Leaving the boys to their fitness camp, myself and head scout Steve Palmer set off on a couple of scouting trips, but before we did that I had the task of convincing leading scorer Francois Zoko to stay and sign the deal we had faxed his agent. Hopefully meeting him and his agent would convince him that we can achieve what he wants at this football club and tie him down to a long contract without losing him on a free in the summer.

Another good update keep up the good work and what's you do you expect from next year mate ?:)

Another good update keep up the good work and what's you do you expect from next year mate ?:)

Thanks mate. Well hope, if I can keep hold of Zoko and bring in the 2/3 targets I want, then maybe top half or play off push. Cheers.

Is there clubs interested in zoko and don't tell is if you keeping it a secret the now ;)

Is there clubs interested in zoko and don't tell is if you keeping it a secret the now ;)

Yes there are clubs interested, 1 from England and 3 from Italy. That's all I'm saying at the moment, hehe. ;)

Back