From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
Armed with scout Steve Palmer and a portfolio of scouting reports we set off to attend various meetings and training grounds to speak to potential transfer targets. Our first port of call though was my main priority on trip, which was stopping off at Francois Zoko's house, to chat through our ambitions for the up coming season and hopefully persuade him that his immediate future lies at Vicarage Road. I knew Francois's agent was the type that would play a fair game, but get the best deal for his client, and with his contract a couple of weeks from running out, I knew Sheffield Wednesday, Empoli, Bologna and another un-named Italian side had already been in contact with the player, so it was down to me to sell my belief in the ambitions of myself and the club that we can achieve exciting times.
The meeting went better and much quicker than I thought, with Francois making it clear that he was too hasty in handing in a transfer request last season, and that with his family settled in the area he wanted to stay and signed a new two year deal.

With the successful conclusion of the Zoko deal, we set off with objectives of bringing in a central defender, a winger who could play on either flank and a full back, again who had versatility to play either side.
We made our way up the A14, then joined the A11 towards Norwich where we were scheduled to meet Norwich boss Gareth Southgate. We sat down in the reception area of Carrow Road and Mr Southgate came over followed by a player in a Norwich club tracksuit, Anthony Pilkington. "Nice to meet you both" I greeted them, "I'm really keen on Anthony becoming an important part of my team this year and feel he will give us alot more creativity and flair that maybe we had been missing in some games last year. Here is what we can offer". As I passed over a contract to both player and manager. "All looks good on our side, I will need to discuss things further with Anthony and if all is accepted, then I will get our chairman to finalise a deal at your end. You'll have an answer by the weekend." responded Mr Southgate. As I started to get up to leave, I received a text from our chairman "Just had Daniel Ayala agent on fone, he is keen on joining. Unsettled at Norwich." With that bit of information, I spoke to Gareth Southgate over the possibility of taking Daniel Ayala on a season long loan. He was a centre back, highly rated at previous club Liverpool, and for whatever reason it just hadn't worked out for him at Norwich and taking into account that Norwich had an abundance of defenders, Mr Southgate wasted no time in agreeing the deal.

With one deal completed and one close to being finalised I managed to cross off two areas I wanted to strengthen and it was very nearly a hat trick from one club, but we were unsuccessful in a bid to sign Andrew Surman on a permanent deal, as he decided to join Leeds United.
It was a pretty successful day, but a long tiring one at that spending nearly six hours in deep conversations to complete relevant deals, and though tedious at times, it was a great pleasure to spend so much time and start to build potentially a good friendship with someone who is very highly regarded in the football world.
The following day I received news that Anthony Pilkington was delighted to sign for the club, so I gave our admin team a call to get them to sort and send the relevant paperwork. Whilst we made a start on our five hour journey to Merseyside and to meet a massive legend in Football, none other than newly appointed Everton manager Ruud Gullit.
I was very excited to meet Ruud, who after spending much time out of the English game, felt it right to come back and join the blue half of Merseyside. He was somebody who had done pretty much everything in football and I wished he could become another friend in the game, as by building up well known contacts, it would only stand me in good sted for now and the future. Right back, Greg Halford was the player I wanted to sign, but Everton were only keen on a permanent deal, whereas we could only afford a loan. Not to waste a long trip, Ruud told me about hot prospect Luke Garbutt, who he rated very highly, but felt he needed a season in the championship to help his development. So we went out to watch the reserves play in a behind closed doors friendly. Garbutt, was playing left back and I could see he had some quality, and would provide great competition for Lloyd Doyley, so by the side of the pitch myself and Ruud shook hands on a season long loan and finished off watching the game, while Ruud and I casual chatted about various football matters.

Three signings in four days, and job done I felt. Next was the journey back down south followed by the start of the proper pre-season training where the new boys would be introduced to the current squad and over the coming days to the media. I was very excited about getting back on the training pitch, especially with the new additions and finally looking forward to the start of the Championship season.

images

With the scouting mission over, it was down to the nitty gritty of pre season training. After the lads endured a tough week of cardio work, to build up stamina and endurance, I wanted to focus on ball work over the coming weeks leading upto our first league game. The new lads joined up with the squad and we got down to buisness focusing on ball retention/possession, this was a key area that would be worked on time and again, as any mistakes made in this league would possibly lead to conceeding more goals due to the higher standard of players we would be facing each week. The other area I wanted to work on intensely was set pieces, both defensive and attacking, again with the quality that we would be up against being organised at dead ball situations is a must and on the flip side we had good height in our team so I wanted us to be a threat at the other end too.

Having overseen a couple of weeks of high intensity training I had a clear idea of who would be included in my first team squad:

Goalkeepers.

Scott Loach
Jonathan Bond
Jack Bonham

Defenders.

Nyron Nosworthy
Lloyd Doyley
Mark Roberts
Adam Thompson
Kaspars Gorkss - signed on free
Daniel Ayala - on loan from Norwich
Luke Garbutt - on loan from Everton

Midfielders.

John Eustace
Ross Jenkins
Chez Isaac
Stephen McGinn
Anthony Pilkington
Sean Murray
Piero Mingoia

Forwards.

Francois Zoko
Jonathan Franks
Neil Mellor
Adam Le Fondre
Bernard Mensah

images

Championship Title odds

Cardiff - 5/2(f)
Birmingham - 5/1
Norwich - 10/1
Huddersfield - 14/1
Leeds - 16/1
Watford - 16/1

The odds are firmly in favour of the bigger clubs in the league and it will be how we do against those teams that will set where we will end up. I'm very happy with the signings made, and with bringing Kaspars Gorkss in, it will bring some more experience to my defensive line and hopefully be a boost to the squad.

FRIENDLY
EXETER 1 - 2 WATFORD
St James Park. Att: 2,151

An unconvincing win this evening and despite it being a friendly I hope we perform better when it really matters. Daniel Nardiello opened the scorer after 1 minute to give Exeter a perfect start. We hit back straight away with a fine strike by Francois Zoko who equalised on 10 minutes. Mark Roberts grabbed the winner on 18 minutes with a lovely header.

FRIENDLY
WATFORD 0 - 1 PANATHINAIKOS
Vicarage Road. Att: 3,641

We had the majority of posession and twenty efforts on goal, but couldn't find the net. Ali Mathlouthi scored what turned out to be the only goal, when he smashed the ball home from close range after 46 minutes.

FRIENDLY
WATFORD 1 - 4 WEST BROM
Vicarage Road. Att: 5,569

Well beaten today, as we were totally outplayed by our Premiership opponents. Kevin Miralles(17'), Shane Long(34') and Ben Watson(39') put West Brom three up even before we had a shot on goal, which just so happened to result in a goal, Ross Jenkins was on hand to pull a goal back after 41 minutes. Graham Dorrans scored the fourth on 88 minutes with a trademark free kick.

FRIENDLY
BOREHAM WOOD 1 - 4 WATFORD
Meadow Park. Att: 3,662

Nice way to end our pre-season with a comfortable win. John Eustace helped himself to two goals on 29 minutes and again on 45 minutes. Micah Hartill(47') pulled a goal back. But Adam Le Fondre(51') extended our lead and Sean Murray sealed the win after 69 minutes with a long range effort.

images

***BREAKING NEWS***
LOACH WANTS BIG MOVE

images

Sky Sports News understands that Watford Goalkeeper Scott Loach has demanded a move to a bigger club. Although Loach, who has been included in several England squads, is keen on securing a move to a premiership club, he has made it clear he is keeping his options open, suggesting that if current club Watford meet his demands and make it to Englands' top tier, he would sign a new contract. Current boss Andy Samuels had this to say "Scott is a quality keeper, and I understand his ambitions, but I'm determined to keep him here and prove we can meet his demands." We will have more on this story I'm sure as the season unfolds.

Well what an interesting couple of weeks, we had a very up and down pre-season with some good performances, along with a shocker against West Brom. Then to go with it Scott Loach makes a statement that he is angling towards a move to bigger club. He is a quality keeper, and someone who I believe will be an important part of any success this club will have, so adding to the pressure of competing in the championship, I now have to convince and prove to my best player that we can meet and match his future ambitions.
So with Nottingham Forest to play tomorrow, its imperative that we get of to a great start over the coming months.

On the morning of our game at home to Nottingham Forest, I received a call from chairman Graham Taylor to meet him at the ground before the players arrived. Upon hearing his request I started to panic and came over all dizzy, prompting Louise to help me sit down on the sofa. I have been experiencing dizzy spells and fluttering feelings in my chest over the last few days, but me being me I've ignored them, knowing I've got alot on my mind with the strains that come with professional football. After a ten minute lie down, I gave Louise a kiss goodbye and left to meet the chairman at the ground.
Sitting in the luxury office, Mr Taylor got up from his chair and started pacing round the room before he started to speak " Thank you for coming in early Andy. I wanted to inform you, that over the coming days there will be some speculation about the club and my future. I have been approached by a wealthy buisnessman who is keen on buying the club. It's an offer that once been approved by the FA I am more than likely to accept. I feel it's the right time to sell and will allow me to focus on other interests. For the time being I trust you will keep this confidential and continue to give 100% every day." I sat back in shock and felt the fluttering in my chest again, I needed to calm myself down, the last thing I needed was to faint in front of my boss. I managed to control my breathing before replying "Erm yes of course Mr Taylor, but what about my future?" He sat back in his dark recliner chair, before puffing his cheeks out and answered "Well, I'm backing you a 100%, and will put forward a great case for you to stay on here. But I'm in the dark to anything that the new owner may want to do. Good Luck today."
It wasn't the best news I wanted to hear especially before the start of the season, but for the time being I had to put that behind me and focus on getting a result this afternoon.

images

WATFORD 3 - 1 NOTTM FOREST
Vicarage Road. Att: 16,286

Super start to the season with a convincing win. Francois Zoko slotted home a penalty after 15 minutes to put us in front. Piero Mingoia(19') headed home our second to give us a comfortable lead. Zoko grabbed a second from the spot on 36 minutes to give us a three nil lead. Chris Gunter grabbed a consolation on 70 minutes, but we held on.

images

1st Round
BRENTFORD 0 - 2 WATFORD
Griffin Park. Att: 4,106

Progression through to round two, with a win using some fringe players. Our back up strike force got the goals that sent us through tonight. Jonathan Franks gave us the lead on 48 minutes and Neil Mellor sealed the win slotting home a penalty on the 79th minute.

images

BOLTON 2 - 3 WATFORD
Reebok Stadium. Att: 20,467

Fantastic away win against a strong Bolton side. We had to come from as Jon Williams put the hosts ahead on 38 minutes. Adam Le Fondre(48') pulled us back level after the break with a fine finish. An Adam Bogdan own goal put us in the lead when he fumbled the ball over his own line. Francois Zoko extended our lead with a great solo goal after 83 minutes. But the scoring wasn't finished there as Brett Holman(88') scored a consolation with only a couple of minutes left to play.

images

WATFORD 0 - 0 HULL
Vicarage Road. Att: 14,195

A boring draw this evening, with not much of note to comment on. Both sides hardly created an effort on goal, as either side cancelled each other out in all areas of the pitch.

images

PETERBOROUGH 4 - 2 WATFORD
London Road. Att: 10,124

Our first loss in the league and it was made more difficult for us when Luke Garbutt got sent off in the 25th minute. Before the red card, Andrew Keogh(9') gave the home side the lead, but we responded thanks to a Stephen McGinn goal after 20 minutes. With us playing with ten men now, we managed to get in front thanks to Francois Zoko who scored a delightful chip on 40 minutes. Our hopes of holding on and regrouping at half time we dashed as Alex Bruce headed home after 44 minutes to send both sides in level. Simon Mensing scored a lovely long range effort in the 77th minute and with tiredness creeping in Andy Keogh(93') grabbed a fourth deep in injury time.

images

2nd Round
WATFORD 3 - 3 WEST HAM
(Watford win 5-4 after extra time)
Vicarage Road. Att: 8,557

Very entertaining game and delighted we came away with the win. Carlton Cole(6') gave the away side the lead with a typical powerful header. Adam Le Fondre(9') equalised almost immediately with a well placed effort. Jay Simpson then put West Ham ahead on 12 minutes finishing from close range. Le Fondre again grabbed another goal to equalise for the second time on 22 minutes with another fine goal. In the second half and the goals kept coming, with Jay Simpson(50') scoring from just inside the area. Le Fondre then completed his hat trick with a sweet half volley to level the scores. The game then entered extra time and we took the lead through Ross Jenkins(92') who swept home from close range. Edgar Manucharyan scored a dubious penalty in the 102nd minute to tie the scores for the fouth time. But the night was Adam Le Fondre's(120') as he scored his fourth of the game and the winner with virtually the last kick of the game.

images

***BREAKING NEWS***
WATFORD TAKEOVER CLOSE

images

It is our understanding that Watford chairman Graham Taylor is on the verge of selling the championship side to an unknown buisnessman. Early reports are suggesting that the deal could be finalised as soon as the end of next week. The new owner has also stated that he is keen on bringing in his own manager, with Dutchman Ronald Koeman the man touted to takeover the reins from current boss Andy Samuels. Both the club and Samuels have so far refused to comment on the speculation.

Having just heard the breaking news on Sky Sports, I couldn't believe it. I wanted answers and I wanted them now, but as expected I couldn't get hold of anyone! After the great start to the season and winning League One, the idea of being sacked and replaced had never even crossed my mind.
With a game coming up against QPR at home on Saturday, I was determined not to entertain the thought, that it could be my last game in charge of the club and got down to focusing, as best as I could, on the job I had in front of me, that was three points at the weekend.

images

WATFORD 3 - 2 QPR
Vicarage Road. Att: 17,477

In front of a full house, we produced a stunning performance against a side relegated last season from the premiership. Francois Zoko(21') fired us into the lead with a sensational overhead kick, but our lead didn't last long as Shaun Wright-Phillips(23') pegged us back almost immediately. Anthony Pilkington scored his first for the club on 21 minutes, hitting a great left footed effort in off the post. Again we were pegged back as Joey Barton(40') pulled the away side level just before half time. With QPR having the best of the second half and creating the most chances and not taking them, I thought maybe we could hold on for a draw, but Stephen McGinn(74') sent our fans wild as he scored a long range effort and what turned out to be the winner.

Last edited:
JOKE!
Dont mean to be harsh, but if it goes through, you have pretty much lost your job.
I say that as when they want a new manager the new board, you dont usually last. I was at Tamworth and i only kept my job as i had taken them to championship survival and it was a FAN-BASED TAKEOVER. Foreign boards usually spell the end :/

One error is that your loss v peterboro u put in as a win, only a minor thing though.
Great job so far, only started reading last night, but was throughly enjoyable, FOLLOWING :)

JOKE!
Dont mean to be harsh, but if it goes through, you have pretty much lost your job.
I say that as when they want a new manager the new board, you dont usually last. I was at Tamworth and i only kept my job as i had taken them to championship survival and it was a FAN-BASED TAKEOVER. Foreign boards usually spell the end :/

One error is that your loss v peterboro u put in as a win, only a minor thing though.
Great job so far, only started reading last night, but was throughly enjoyable, FOLLOWING :)

Hahaha, oops thanks mate, have just corrected it. ;)

Yeah can't believe it, but guess that's how it goes in football. Will see how I continue the story soon.

Thanks for your comment mate.

images

***BREAKING NEWS***
WATFORD TAKEOVER COMPLETED

images

Dutch businessman Koos Formsma has finally completed his takeover of championship side Watford. After weeks of uncertainty the FA have finally given the go ahead for the deal to be completed. Although no exact figure has been given, the reported fee paid to ex chairman Graham Taylor is believed to be in the region of £10 million pounds.
The first move the new owner has overseen is the shock sacking of talented young manager Andy Samuels. Samuels who had been in charge for just under a year brought the club back into the English second tier after winning the League One championship, after taking over at Vicarage Road back in October 2013.
Replacing Samuels at the helm is Dutchman Ronald Koeman, who brings a wealth of experience having been part of the successful Feyenoord team that won the Eredivisie last season.

Having been sacked without any chance to impress the new owner is probably the lowest point of my short managerial career. But despite little time in professional management I knew that these things happen, but it didn't hide my disappointed.
After hours of talking through what to do next and rejecting offers from a couple of teams in League One, Louise and I felt after a whirlwind four years, I deserved a break from the game and a chance to re-charge my batteries before making a fresh return to management.
It was sound advice, so after clearing my desk at Vicarage Road and saying my goodbyes I set off home to look forward to a nice, long and well deserved holiday to clear my head and contemplate my next adventure..........

Last edited:
Hi Guys.

This story has now come to an end. After the takeover and being sacked I was getting to a point where I was starting to lose abit of interest in the save. So I felt it was the perfect time to end this part of "From Grassroots..."
I would like to say Thank You to everyone who had been following and commented. I will be starting a new story soon and really hope you will enjoy that one just as much, and follow and comment on it also.

Cheers.

Nooooo, I knew it, just bad luck.
Great effort, I'd of done the same tbf, nonetheless a great story despite not reaching the promised land of the Premier League.

Have a look at my new and first story, 'The rise and rise of Tamworth FC'. I am basing the style of the page and pictures on yours but still with differences. Hope I do you justice, and cheers for a great story :)

Nooooo, I knew it, just bad luck.
Great effort, I'd of done the same tbf, nonetheless a great story despite not reaching the promised land of the Premier League.

Have a look at my new and first story, 'The rise and rise of Tamworth FC'. I am basing the style of the page and pictures on yours but still with differences. Hope I do you justice, and cheers for a great story :)

Thanks mate, bit gutted how it ended, but was starting to lose that buzz I got previously, so maybe a blessing in disguise.
Yeah am just about to check yours out, no worries about layout, i'm glad I can help with yours.

Hope you will check out my new story once I've started it.

Cheers.

Ah well. I had the same with Portsmouth and Wolves. Top of Champ with Pompey after -10 and challenging for Europe with Wolves. Any reason?No

Ah well. I had the same with Portsmouth and Wolves. Top of Champ with Pompey after -10 and challenging for Europe with Wolves. Any reason?No

I know dude, annoying, but part and parcel of how it goes I guess. I'm just in process of starting a brand new story. Hope you will like and follow it.

Cheers.

Back