From Grassroots...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 19K
What?I'm not accusing you of anything I'm just saying it's funny that's all (not saying you've cheated or it's funny accusingly just found it good that my two favourite BSP teams went up)

I am taking regular interest

Ahh good good, my response wasn't meant in a bad way. Really pleased you are still following.
Yeah I found it strange, that they seemed to be following me up the league.

I'm going to check your story out.

Thanks mate, keep checking in.

Ahh good good, my response wasn't meant in a bad way. Really pleased you are still following.
Yeah I found it strange, that they seemed to be following me up the league.

I'm going to check your story out.

Thanks mate, keep checking in.
Perhaps another Welsh club in Champ?

With such a fantastic start so far, the team seemed to be responding well to the change of formation I've made since taking over and confidence was starting to creep back in. So with things on the pitch going pretty well, there were a few alerations I needed to make with the backroom staff. Since Andy Thorn left, his assistant also went with him leaving a space for me to fill. I was tempted to bring Martin O'Connor in, but having spoken with him, he felt he needed a break something which I totally understood.
Following a youth team game, that I attended to watch a couple of our under 18's, I bumped into former Man Utd coach and Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia, was currently the youth team manager at Scunthorpe who the under 18's were playing. We had a very productive chat at the end of the game and he made it clear he was looking around for a slightly better role, which he wasn't getting at his current club. Upon hearing that I offered him the chance to become my assistant, as his experience would be valuable not only to the players, but more importantly to me. So with a formal approach in, Ricky signed on the day after on a two year contract.
Another area in which we were missing, was an attack coach and I wasted no time in speaking to Ricky for a recommendation. He said he knew the person that would be ideal, a young Spanish coach by the name of Jon Andoni Goikoetxea, someone Ricky had been following intensely over the last few years where Jon was assistant manager at Spanish club Osasuna. So on this feedback and hearing of Goikoetxea's playing career, most notably a four year spell at Barcelona, I felt I needed to sort out a deal quickly, and after a short meeting with the Jon, Ricky and myself, he also joined on a two year deal.
During the week leading upto our FA Cup game against Leyton Orient, I completed my backroom team, with Guy Whittingham joining as tactic and technique coach along with the final person, Dean Riddle who came in as fitness coach.

images

1st Round
LEYTON ORIENT 0 - 4 WATFORD
Brisbane Road. Att: 5,213

Fantastic result and performance most notably by Neil Mellor. After a dull first half the game sprang into life early in the second when Mellor grabbed his first a minute after the break on 47 minutes. Francois Zoko, carried on his fine goal scoring run with a fine finish after 57 minutes. It was then left to Mellor to score first from a header in the 71st minute and a cooly placed penalty to seal his hat trick.

images

TRANMERE 1 - 2 WATFORD
Prenton Park. Att: 4,181

A hard fought victory on a wet and soggy pitch. Stephen McGinn, who asked for a transfer before my reign, got us a goal in the 25th minute, blasting the ball home. He was at it again in the 46th minute, when McGinn slide home his and our second. Ricardo Kishna(59') made it a nervy end to the game, but we held on for victory.

images

COLCHESTER 0 - 5 WATFORD
Western Homes Community Stadium. Att: 4,530

Senasational, what a result and performance to go with it. And it was Neil Mellor who stole the show again. Mellor put us ahead with our first in the 24th minute with a fine header, and he then doubled our lead a minute before half time placing the ball under the oncoming goalkeeper. Nyron Nosworthy grabbed a third after 47 minutes, and Francois Zoko claimed the third on 70 minutes. But it was Mellor, who was a hat trick hero again after he slotted home in injury time.

images

***BREAKING NEWS***

ZOKO ROCKS HORNETS

images

On the eve of their crucial Johnstone's Paint trophy semi final game against Oxford, Watford's leading scorer Francois Zoko has submitted a written transfer request, stating a wish to move to a bigger club. Talks between the player, his agent and manager Andy Samuels had been taking place during the day, with Hornets boss Samuels hopeful of convincing the striker that the club could meet his ambitions. Despite hours of discussions, Samuels reluctantly agreed to place the unsettled star, who has scored 16 goals in the league, on the transfer list. But Zoko has himself stated that though he was looking to move on, he would still give his all for the club if selected.

images

Semi Final
WATFORD 4 - 0 OXFORD
Vicarage Road. Att: 4,663

A comfortable victory to see us into the final. Neil Mellor continued his amazing scoring form by putting us ahead inside 4 minutes. Stephen McGinn then doubled the lead after 8 minutes, cutting in from the right and drilling a low shot into the corner of the net. Into the second half and midfielder Ross Jenkins got on the score sheet with a long range effort after 49 minutes and Jonathon Franks got himself amongst the goals with a well placed shot in the 73rd minute.

images

2nd Round
WATFORD 3 - 2 NOTTS COUNTY
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,188

Another hat trick sealed our passage throught to the third round. Gregory Tade got Notts County off to a good start when he fired home after 18 minutes. But transfer listed striker Francois Zoko had other ideas as he got us level after 31 minutes. He grabbed his second with a goal that gave us the lead in the 48th minute. In the 90th minute Zoko completed his hat trick with a fine header after good work by Sean Murray. The goals didn't stop their as Dean Parrett(94') grabbed a very late consolation.

images

WATFORD 3 - 0 SCUNTHORPE
Vicarage Road. Att: 8.934

It was a breath taking opening insidet the first ten minutes that set us up for a good win. Sean Murray(1') scored with a fine placed strike, and Neil Mellor scored an easy tap in after good work by Francois Zoko after 9 minutes. And it was the in form Mellor that sealed the win, when in the 28th minute he scored a crashing drive after more neat work by his strike partner Zoko.

images

BARNSLEY 1 - 0 WATFORD
Oakwell. Att: 7,554

Disappointing to lose so late on in a very even game. I thought that although we weren't at our best, Barnsley didn't look like wanting to win the game, until in the 88th minute Marcelo Zalayeta stooped to head home a late winner.

images

WATFORD 2 - 1 OLDHAM
Vicarage Road. Att: 8,334

Great comeback win on a rainy day in front of our home fans. We fell behind when on loan Man City youngster Russ Edwards(regen) scored after 10 minutes. Nyron Nosworthy deservedly got us on level terms rising highest at a corner to head home on 59 minutes. We were then reduced to 10 men when defender Mark Roberts was shown a straight red for a clumsy tackle. I made a few changes, and it worked as Francois Zoko raced clear and calmy placed the ball passed the opposition keeper.

images

SHEFF UTD 3 - 0 WATFORD
Bramall Lane. Att: 18.145

My biggest challenge since taking over and it couldn't of gone worse. Sheff Utd who are battling it out like us for a play off place, simply out classed us. Lloyd Doyley unluckily deflected the ball into our net to give the hosts a vital lead on the stroke of half time. Ched Evans made it two nil, when in the 57th minute he typically found the net from a tight angle. Kevin McDonald then consigned me to our biggest defeat since I took over when he smashed home the ball after 69 minutes.

images

NOTTS COUNTY 2 - 1 WATFORD
Meadow Lane. Att: 5,520

Hoping we could bounce back from our poor show against Sheff Utd, I was again left frustrated by a disappointing away performance. Gregory Tade(7') scored early to give extra confidence to the home side. But as we have shown recently, we came straight back thanks to a Mark Roberts header after 24 minutes. But it was Tade again who sealed our second loss in as many days, when he scored after 77 minutes.

Three months had passed since I took over at Watford and with the halfway stage of the season approaching, I took some time out to reflect on my start. Sitting in my study, which is now my most used room in the house, I looked back on the eleven wins, one draw and three losses that we've accumalated since the end of October, and thought "Yeah it's a decent start, but with us sitting two points outside the playoffs and a huge twelve points behind the leaders Sheff Wed, it on the whole wasn't good enough!!"
With that shock at the gap we needed to make up and the reflection on some performances in the last four games, I started to have a very good idea of what areas needed to be strengthend and with the January transfer window opening and money to spend, despite the current plight in overall finances, this was my make or break chance to propel the team into genuine promotion contenders. Needing to make this big decision, I got Ricky Sbragia round, my assistant, to ask his opinion on if we work with the group we currently have or do we go out and get players to take us to the next level and fingers crossed, secure promotion either automatically or through the playoffs something that though it wasn't said by chairman Graham Taylor, I know not being in the mix at the end of the season, would classed as a failure, an option I never think off.

images

***BREAKING NEWS***

ALF SIGNS ON LOAN

images

Watford have signed unsettled Reading striker Adam Le Fondre on loan until the end of the season. Le Fondre, nicknamed ALF, will go straight into the Watford line up, as a replacement for the injured Francois Zoko. Zoko, who is under going surgery on a hip problem, is a huge blow to the Hornets playoff hopes and boss Andy Samuels will hope Le Fondre will be able to rekindle his goalscoring form to replace that of the clubs leading scorer and earn himself a permanent move at the end of the season.
Also joining on a loan deal is central defender Mark Beevers from Championship side Bristol City.

images

LEYTON ORIENT 0 - 2 WATFORD
Brisbane Road. Att: 5,639

A great away win this evening on a warm sunny evening. Piero Mingoia(48') put us ahead shortly into the second half and the win was sealed in the 81st minute when, Neil Mellor went through and easily beat the keeper with a well placed shot.

images

3rd Round
Blackpool 2 - 1 Watford
Bloomfield Road. Att: 14,665

Even though we lost today, I was more interested with how we would get on against a side in the top three of the championship and overall I was very happy. Neil Mellor got us off to a flyer, when again he broke free of the defence and fired home. But despite the early goal, two goals by Apostolos Velios(31' & 72') sent us out the cup.

images

WATFORD 2 - 0 BRADFORD
Vicarage Road. Att: 9,313

Pleasing win today and a very important one too. Piero Mingoia grabbed himself a goal after 18 minutes, when he delicately chipped the ball over the oncoming goalkeeper. Adam Le Fondre celebrated his first for the club, scoring in the 86th minute to seal the win.

images

WATFORD 1 - 1 MK DONS
Vicarage Road. Att: 13,941

A tale of two penalties saw this local(ish) derby end in a draw. Neil Mellor(pen) put us in front at half time, with a well placed spot kick on 36 minutes. Derek Goodeve(regen)(pen) scored the equaliser after Lloyd Doyley was harshly judged to have fouled him.

images

Southern Final 1st Leg
WATFORD 0 - 0 LEYTON ORIENT
Vicarage Road. Att: 13,171

Not much to report other than I was hoping with home advantage we could've taken some sort of lead into the second leg, but it wasn't to be.

images

WYCOMBE 1 - 4 WATFORD
Adams Park. Att: 4,332

Great win and yet another sign of our potential. Neil Mellor grabbed the opener on 19 minutes, with a fierce low drive. Nyron Nosworthy(42') and Adam Le Fondre(44') scored two quick goals to send us in at half time very comfortable. Le Fondre then grabbed his second on 66 minutes to put the game well and truly out of the hosts reach. Stuart Beavon(82') grabbed a late consolation.

images

WATFORD 2 - 2 PORTSMOUTH
Vicarage Road. Att: 10,344

A chance today to claw back the lead that Portsmouth had at the top. We fell behind after a poor defensive clearance fell to Craig Davies(9') who made no mistake from a yard out. Sean Murray equalised after 36 minutes, when he finished of a superb move. In the second half we fell behind almost imediately after the restart with the impressive Luke Varney side footing home on 51 minutes. Jonathan Franks, on for the injured Neil Mellor, grabbed a deserved equaliser when he curled in from twenty yards after 60 minutes.

images

BOURNEMOUTH 2 - 0 WATFORD
Dean Court. Att: 6,538

Disappointing result against a side who were just above us in the league. I felt we were unlucky to lose as draw would've seemed a fair result. But poor defending twice in the last ten minutes allowed Marc Pugh to score with a deft header on 81 minutes and Francisco Sandaza in the 89th minute to put a big dent in our playoff push.

images

Southern Final 2nd Leg
LEYTON ORIENT 2 - 4 WATFORD
Brisbane Road. Att: 8,828

Wow, what a way to bounce back from our last game and book a trip to Wembley. It all started off brilliantly when loan signing Mark Beevers headed us into the lead after only 3 minutes. Le Fondre on 28 minutes, followed by Neil Mellor on 37 minutes put us in dreamland. With the three goal advantage we took our foot of the gas and allowed David Mooney(42' & 46') to set up a very nervy finale. Luckily we upped it again and Stephen McGinn sealed the win in the 77th minute, to seal my second trip to the national stadium.

images

WATFORD 1 - 1 CARLISLE
Vicarage Road. Att: 8,759

A hugely frustrating day and how we didn't win I don't know. James Berrett in the 43rd minute, with the away teams only shot on goal, scored a long range effort against the run of play. Despite hitting the woodwork twice and missing easy chances, we had Adam Le Fondre to thanks, as he popped up in the 81st minute to secure the draw. I hope the two points dropped, don't make us regret not taking our chances.

images

SHEFF WED 0 - 3 WATFORD
Hillsborough. Att: 13,788

Again an amazing response to our previous outing. We were simply brilliant here, and Piero Mingoia headed us into the lead after 15 minutes. A Mark Reynolds own goal on 35 minutes helped give us some breathing space. Young midfielder Sean Murray finished the game off with a lovely strike after 65 minutes.

images

WATFORD 1 - 1 ROCHDALE
Vicarage Road. Att: 8,139

Yet again it was more points dropped in an almost repeat of the Carlisle game. We had all the play, but still found ourselves a goal behind just after half time, when Emile Sinclair(46') raced through and powered a left footed shot beyond Loach. Neil Mellor was the saviour this time as his deflected effort after 80 minutes pulled us level.

With only thirteen games left of the season, I really hoped we would be pushing hard to get into the top two. But after some below par performances at home in particular, it looks like we are in a big battle for a playoff place. We really need to start picking ourselves up and start improving results against lower sides in particular. One bright note is another trip to Wembley, I only hope I can go a step further and win the cup this time.
Big few months ahead, I wonder where will it lead us............

Just had a quick look through this, quality stuff mate! Hopefully you'll gain promotion again and end up in the Prem in a year os so, KIU!

Just had a quick look through this, quality stuff mate! Hopefully you'll gain promotion again and end up in the Prem in a year os so, KIU!

Thank you mate. Yeah I hoping promotion too, will be very close and tense!!

Thank you mate, appreciate it. Have u got a story going? If so let me know and I'll have a read. Cheers
Your welcome mate :) and nah mate don't have the time but a do enjoy other peoples story and al defo be following yours now.

Just read all 12 pages start to finish and WOW!! Cracking story, not usually a fan of leaving a team that you have done so well with and still progressing, but in this case I think it was a brilliant and exciting move.
Seem to have a nice squad at Watford, if not got enough in the tank this season then atleast you should get cash to spend at beginning of next.
Keep it up ;)

Just read all 12 pages start to finish and WOW!! Cracking story, not usually a fan of leaving a team that you have done so well with and still progressing, but in this case I think it was a brilliant and exciting move.
Seem to have a nice squad at Watford, if not got enough in the tank this season then atleast you should get cash to spend at beginning of next.
Keep it up ;)

Thanks buddy, appreciate you taking time to read it all. I normally stay with one team, but as I've based the start of the story on real life, I thought that if my path did follow this route, it would only be normal to go to a bigger team. and the task of taking Watford back up appealed to much. Hoping to get promotion this season, though finances aren't great due to loans taken out before i joined. But it adds to the challenge and story though. Next update probably tomorrow night. Cheers :D

Back