From Russia With Love: A Chelsea FC Story

xdannyw92

Reaction score
Chelsea-FC-logo.jpg

Chelsea Hire New Russian Manager

Chelsea Football Club have today announced a shock decision to name former Dinamo Moscow player, Pavel Glazkov, as replacement for Italian Carlo Ancelotti. It was highly thought that Porto manager Andre Villas-Boas was going to take the helm at the London club, however Russian owner, Roman Abramovich, has decided to stick to his roots and ask 36 year-old, Glazkov to take over at his club.

In a press release on ChelseaFC.com the club states; "Today, Chelsea Football Club would like to proudly announce Pavel Glazkov as the succeeder to Carlo Ancelotti. The board would like to let all fans know that they feel Mr. Glazkov is the right choice having captained Dinamo Moscow throughout the 90's and has since received all his coaching and management badges. The board would like to wish Pavel a good welcome to the club and Roman Abramovich has stated his full faith in his friend's capability to lead the club to further glory."

Fans haven't reacted too kindly to the news of an unproven manager taking over at their beloved club. Club captain, John Terry, has praised Abramovich's decision to give the job to Glazkov on Twitter:
@JohnTerryPFA Lookin forward to meeting Pavel seems like a good choice

Since his playing days Glazkov had took on a scouting role for Turkish club, Beskitas and today he has took his first step into management at the 2010 Premier League Champions. He has stated his ambition to drive the club forward and win silverware: "Chelsea FC is a massive club and I am sure that by the end of the season we can look back and say we have done a good job. Roman has full faith in me and I look forward to working alongside a close friend. I also look forward to working alongside the world class players and the passionate fans that support the club."

The club has also stated that former West Bromwich Albion manager and former Chelsea FA Cup winner, Roberto Di Matteo, will become assistant manager.

ChelseaFans_468x311.jpg

Last edited:
July 2011

Pre-Season Matches
Hearts Away
Vitesse Away
Ajax Away
Stade Malherbe Caen Away
Freiburg (Friendly Cup)
HSV Home
Notts County Away

Transfer Activity

Chelsea have reportedly made a bid for Napoli's Ezequiel Lavezzi and Santos' Neymar. Both have been dismissed by the clubs who own the players, yet Glazkov is remaining silent on any transfer rumours: "I've not looked at anyone and if I had would I say what's happening? No. Anything that happens behind the scenes takes place behind the scenes for a reason." Despite the silence of Glazkov, Norwegian club Tromso have stated that Chelsea, PSV and Bursaspor have all made bids of around £1 million for Senegalese midfielder Kara Mbodj.

Arsenal-Aim-To-Sign-Up-Kara-Mbodj-For-3-Million.png

The 21-year old holding midfielder is attracting a lot of attention.

Last edited:
Good start. Definitely, definitely go for Sime Vrsaljko. Your scouts won't think he's all that, but he only costs £1million, low wages, will come to Chelsea because of the club's reputation and turns into arguably the best right-back in the game. He's already better than Bosingwa and almost as good as Ivanovic despite only being 19.

Also, buying Ibrahim Affelay from Barcelona for £1.7million and training him as an AMR is a lot cheaper than buying Lavezzi or Hulk. Put up an asking price of £7million for Anelka and PSG will take him off your hands, buy Felipe Anderson for £5.5million to bolster the midfield and then you won't have spent that much so you'll have plenty of funds left to sign one big guy (for me, it was Cavani, but it could be anyone from Hamsik to Dante to Fellaini. Go nuts!)

I managed all that just choosing Title Challenge rather then Winner from the season expectations menu, which makes things easier going ahead.

Abramovich Provides £50m War Chest

Today we understand that Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has given new manager, Pavel Glazkov a transfer budget of £50 million to rebuild the Chelsea squad. After Napoli had reportedly refused a £20 million bid for Ezequiel Lavezzi, Abramovich took things into his own hands and provided Glazkov with the necessary funds to achieve Continental glory this season. Pavel Glazkov stated; "Roman and I share a similar ambition. We both want the Champions League trophy to be on display at Stamford Bridge next season. I know the players we need and he trusts me. You can expect a lot from us this season."

July 2011

_44114597_brk_news_sport_203x152.gif

Chelsea have completed the signing of Napoli and Argentina winger, Ezequiel Lavezzi. Chelsea have refused to disclose the fee paid for the player, however sources claim it to be in the region of £20 million. The 26-year old right winger scored 6 goals in 31 league matches in Serie A last season and has been assosciated with Chelsea since Pavel Glazkov took over at the start of the month.

lavezzi1.jpg

Other Transfer News and Gossip
Josh McEachran and Oriol Romeu have both joined Watford on loan for the remainder of the season. Chelsea have the option to recall the players at any point in the season they desire. Oriol Romeu is a new arrival in London after recently joining from European champions, Barcelona.
In the papers this month, PSG and Werder Bremen are reportedly in the hunt for Nicolas Anelka (The Sun & The Daily Mail). In the mean time Chelsea have made bids for Kara Mbodj and Sime Vrsaljko (The Sun).

Friendly Results
Hearts 1-4 Chelsea
(Drogba, Mata, Lukaku x2)

Vitesse 1-3 Chelsea
(Kalou, Mata, Lukaku)

Ajax 3-1 Chelsea
(Lukaku)

Stade Malherbe Caen 2-2 Chelsea
(Drogba, Lukaku)

Chelsea 8-0 Freiburg - Friendly Cup Semi Final
(Drogba, Torres, Lavezzi, Lampard, Sturridge, Kalou, Terry, Lukaku)

Chelsea 5-0 AS Nancy Lorraine - Friendly Cup Final
(Torres x2, Mata, Sturridge, Kalou)

Chelsea 2-0 HSV
(Mata, Sturridge)

Notts County 0-5 Chelsea
(Lukaku x4, Terry)

Player of the Month
Romelu Lukaku

Romelu+Lukaku+Chelsea+v+Norwich+City+Premier+IgMwN7YPJikl.jpg

10 goals throughout the pre-season, the massive teenager looks to be a hot prospect at Chelsea.

Last edited:
August 2011

Sky-Sports-News-Report_2722553.jpg

Breaking News from Chelsea, they have completed a triple swoop today. Croatian right-back Sime Vrsaljko, German defensive midfielder Sven Bender and Dutch midfielder Ibrahim Affelay. Vrsaljko joins from Croatian club, Dinamo for a fee of £2m and Sven Bender has joined from Borussia Dortmund for a fee believed to be in the region of £12m. Ibrahim Affelay joins from Barcelona for £1.7m after a turbulent first season at the club. The trio join big summer singing, Ezequiel Lavezzi as the club build up the summer signings.

In other transfer news regarding Chelsea FC, Nicolas Anelka has joined PSG for £5m whilst Saloman Kalou has left for Napoli for the same price. The departures have left Chelsea fans puzzled, however they do believe that the summer signings are showing a lot of ambition. One Chelsea fan said, "Lavezzi looks a brilliant player, I'm a bit shocked about Anelka and Kalou leaving, but I'm not too down heartened." Another Chelsea fan stated, "Anelka leaving is quite a shock, why are we signing players I've never heard of? Who are Bender and Vrsijo or whatever his name is. I'm not getting a new season ticket this season Glazkov is making a mockery of my club." Obviously some Chelsea fans are failing to adapt to the clubs overhaul.

The Premier League - August 2011

Chelsea 3-1 Swansea
(Lavezzi, Mata, Drogba)

166436hp2.jpg

Debutants Steal The Show!
Swansea were taught a Premier League lesson today in their first ever Premier League game. Debutants Ezequiel Lavezzi and Juan Mata were on target, whilst Didier Drogba got off to another good start to round up a good win. It wasn't all plain sailing for Chelsea as Danny Graham scored a real poachers goal after the 29th minute. However, Pavel Glazkov's first ever half time team talk must have got the fire in the bellies of the Chelsea men as they ran riot in the second half. Another debutant, Sime Vrsaljko picked up man of the match award for his defensive and attacking work, as well as a brilliant cross for Drogba who's header beat Michel Vorm.

Fulham 1-2 Chelsea
(Brede Hangeland OG, Alex)

Pavel Glazkov will take the credit again for Chelsea by bringing on substitute Alex on the 64th minute for him to head Chelsea a second consecutive win. Lavezzi's wayward shot was deflected in by Hangeland in the first half as Chelsea went in 1-0 at the break. Moussa Dembele thought he had got his side a draw in this London Derby on the 66th minute, but Brazilian centre-back Alex produced a brilliant volley after the ball ping-ponged around in the Chelsea area following a Mata corner.

Chelsea 3-1 Wolves
(Drogba, Lavezzi x2)

r

Chelsea had a perfect August, picking up 9 points out of 9 to end the month 2nd behind Man Utd on goal difference. United received the goal difference boost with an opening day, 9-0, win against Wolves, who had another poor outing today at Stamford Bridge. It was all too easy for Drogba to score after 14mins, but Ebanks-Blake got a goal 3mins before half time. It would have been a tense half time team team talk if it wasn't for Lavezzi who scored 2 minutes after Ebanks-Blake. Lavezzi sealed the win with the last stroke of the ball before half time after a frantic 5 minutes.

Chelsea Player of the Month

Ezequiel Lavezzi

Ezequiel_Lavezzi_2146297c.jpg

Three goals in his three first game in a Chelsea shirt, as well as 2 assists, it's an obvious choice.

Champions League Draw

Group B
Chelsea
Marseille
Bayer Leverkusen
Napoli

A very tough group for Glazkov's men. Lavezzi returns to his former club, as well as Salomon Kalou who will face Chelsea being a new face at Napoli. Ties against Marseille and Bayer Leverkusen will also prove very tricky. Glazkov seemed to be in an ambitious mood, "I'm looking forward to the challenge, we can travel to France, Germany and Italy and it will be a really good experience for me. I did want to draw CSKA Moscow to settle some old scores, but I am ambitious about the challenge before me."

League Cup Draw

Millwall vs Chelsea
What a brilliant tie this will be...

Great start and Lavezzi already looks like an amazing signing :)

A decent set of teams to start off against in the league but your group in europe looks pretty hard

Really like this mate, been desperate to see a chelsea story with all the AVB stuff and the toxic dressing room, what was your starting rep?
Good signings too, may be a bit late now but early on you could have picked up Gotze reasonably which would have been fantastic for chelsea, try an bag romario for RB

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be doing another update later.

A decent set of teams to start off against in the league but your group in europe looks pretty hard

I know, I wouldn't be surprised if I fail to qualify for the knock out stage. The media in the game dub it as an 'easy' group, god knows how Napoli are a 4th seed team.

ollieconnolly said:
you could have picked up Gotze reasonably which would have been fantastic for chelsea, try an bag romario for RB

I didn't feel it was neccesary to sign Gotze as I have Juan Mata, Florent Malouda and Affelay who can play on the left wing. I know it wouldn't have been a bad idea to do it but I'm pretty confident in the players I've got :) Plus I didn't feel the need to sign Romario too as I have signed Vrsaljko and have Ivanovic and Bosingwa.

Thanks again :)

No worries, I sign goetze and retrain him as a CM absolutely unstoppable!

31st August 2011

Transfer Deadline Day

transfer-deadline-day-600x397.jpg

The Papers Say:

The Sun: Chelsea to sign complete signings of Kara Mbodj and Mario Gotze today.
The Daily Mail: Kara Mbodj set to join Chelsea today for £1m.
Daily Star: Manchester City are close to signing Daniel Sturridge with Carlos Tevez close to going to Chelsea.
The Daily Mirror: Chelsea make late bid for Santos' youngster Neymar.

mario_gotze_15082011.jpg

Could Mario Gotze be on his way to Stamford Bridge? If so, Man City will be out to stop him.

Transfer Deadline Day - As It Happened:

09:03 - Aston Villa complete signing of Scott Sinclair from Swansea for £5m
09:45 - Man City sign goalkeeper, Carlos Kameni from Espanyol for undisclosed fee.
11:39 - Kara Mbodj spotted at Chelsea training ground, a deal is imminent.
12:09 - Jonas Olsson leaves West Brom for Porto for a fee believed to be over £5m.
13:19 - Kara Mbodj joins Chelsea for £1m despite failing to recieve a work permit.
16:01 - Sources say Mario Gotze is on a plane to England, Chelsea and Man City are both looking to sign him.
16:31 -
French striker, Yaya Sanogo joins Man City for £2.1m.
17:01 - Tottenham Hotspur complete signing of Gokhan Gonul from Fenerbache for £10.75m.
19:39 -
Borussia Dortmund confirm Mario Gotze isn't going anywhere.

20:11 - Kara Mbodj has joined Belgian club, Westerlo, on loan in order to gain work permit.
22:48 - West Brom sign Wigan's Antolin Alcaraz for £5.25m.
23:00 - Transfer window closes

article-2027673-0D7A751400000578-457_468x286.jpg

Last edited:
September 2011

Barclays Premier League

Manchester United 1-0 Chelsea
David De Gea

_58449743_rooney_goal2_getty.jpg

Wayne Rooney's sensational 57th minute strike resigned Pavel Glazkov to his first defeat as Chelsea manager. Chelsea dominated the first half, Lavezzi, Drogba and Torres all came close but man of the match, David De Gea, was equal to everything Chelsea threw at him. Rooney has a goal disallowed minutes before half time, yet replays show the linesman was right as he was a yard offside when Giggs played him in. Chelsea dug in after the break, yet it was United who took advantage as Rooney placed a shot past Petr Cech from outside the area. Chelsea's late onslaught wasn't enough to beat De Gea in the United goal and Sir Alex's men walked away with all three points.

European Champions League Group B

Chelsea 2-1 Napoli
(Drogba, Torres)
Ibrahim Affelay

Pavel Glazkov's squad came back from the dead against Napoli to start their European campaign. Napoli took the left through Fernandez's head from a Vertonghen corner. Chelsea players looked dejected going into the dressing room at half time, most of them looking uninterested in the game. However Glazkov's team talk did the magic again as Drogba connected with Affelay's corner to level the scores. It was Affelay who pulled the strings as he crossed the ball into substitute Torres who headed home his first goal of the season and more importantly three points for his team.

Barclays Premier League

Chelsea 3-0 Bolton
(Raul Meireles, David Luiz, Fernando Torres)
Romelu Lukaku
Ezeqiuel Lavezzi

Football_-_Premier__615340t.jpg

Chelsea got back to winning ways in the league with a comprehensive win over Bolton. Raul Meireles made his debut and 21 minutes into it he showed the Chelsea fans what he is capable of with a beautiful long range effort. David Luiz poached an effort after a mistake from Stuart Holden after a Meireles corner. Romelu Lukaku came on for Didier Drogba after 62 minutes, but within 7 minutes he was sent off for a vicious two footed tackle on Paul Robinson. However, the 10 men marched on and Lavezzi played a brilliant through ball for Fernando Torres who has answered his critics this week with two goals in as many games.

Carling Cup

Millwall 0-5 Chelsea
(Daniel Sturridge x2, Dider Drogba x2, Paul Robinson OG)
Daniel Sturridge

Chelsea took Millwall to the slaughter house tonight. Within 2 minutes Daniel Sturridge put Chelsea ahead. Didier Drogba doubled the lead after 10 minutes and Sturridge grabbed his second on the 13th minute. Dider Drogba doubled his tally and Sturridge forced the ball upon Paul Robinson who diverted it into his own net. 16 year old Nathaniel Chalobah made his debut coming on for John Terry in this game. Chelsea dominated the entire 90 mins against their London rivals and deserved the big win.

Barclays Premier League

Wigan 2-1 Chelsea
(Frank Lampard Pen)
Piscu

Pavel Glazkov was left fuming after a lack-lustre Chelsea display consigned them to their second defeat of the season. Petr Cech dropped an easy catch from a Wigan corner as Piscu capitalized to get his side ahead. El-Hadj Diouf handled the ball in the area for Frank Lampard to convert from the spot. However it wasn't Chelsea's day as Rodellega won the game after 68 minutes.

European Champions League Group B

Bayer Leverkusen 1-3 Chelsea
(Lavezzi, Drogba, Torres)
David Luiz

Chelsea go top of Group B with a good win in Germany. Lavezzi got the team off to a good start after 3 minutes with a sweet half volley following a long range pass from David Luiz. Didier Drogba got his 100th Chelsea goal with his head from an Ivanovic cross after 19 minutes. Tranquillo Barnetta pulled Leverkusen back a goal after 63 minutes, yet the Germans seemed to get ahead of themselves as Torres buried the ball into the net after a nice bit of skill to beat the last defender.

David Luiz

1677575_w2.jpg

The centre back scored against Bolton as well as making several good showings at the back, most notably against Bayer Leverkusen and Manchester United, despite losing the game.

Premier League Table September 2011

tablesept11-1.png

League Cup Draw

Chelsea vs Manchester United
Interesting to say the least...

October 2011

Barclays Premier League
Stadium of Light

Sunderland 0-2 Chelsea
(Wes Brown OG, Dider Drogba)
Ashley Cole

A straight forward performance from the title contenders as Sunderland only managed one shot all game as Petr Cech may as well have stayed in the dressing room. The first half was dominated by Chelsea, Torres coming closest. The second half looked more promising as Frank Lampard's cross was turned into his own net by Wes Brown. Didier Drogba scored a tidy finish to score in his third consecutive goal in the last three games. Ashley Cole's pace and ambition troubled the Sunderland back line all afternoon and he suitably picked up man of the match without putting a foot wrong all game.

ashley-cole.jpg

Barclays Premier League
Stamford Bridge

Chelsea 5-0 Liverpool
(Dider Drogba x2, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Fernando Torres x2)
Didier Drogba

A smile was etched onto the face of the usually steel-faced, Pavel Glazkov at the end of the game today after his Chelsea put Liverpool to the sword at The Bridge. It took three minutes for Didier Drogba to get Chelsea up and running and it wasn't too long after Lavezzi made it two. After 32 minutes Drogba got his second from Juan Mata's beautiful pass from a Frank Lampard corner. Chelsea looked unstoppable all game and Juan Mata gave the Liverpool defence a nightmare of a second half. Second half substitute Fernando Torres, who didn't make the starting 11 following an injury on international duty, came on to put two past his former club and silence any critics.

sp03fe-TorresWeb.jpg

European Champions League
Stade Velodrome

Marseille 0-3 Chelsea
(Dider Drogba, David Luiz, Daniel Sturride)
David Luiz

Chelsea have started to make a tough Champions League group look easy, and with Didier Drogba scoring for fun there can't be much stopping them. Drogba scored after 8 minutes after some fancy footwork. David Luiz then pounced onto Frank Lampards corner after 23 minutes. Marseille had little to offer in all areas of the pitch as Chelsea didn't have to get out of second gear all game. Substitute Daniel Sturridge scored a beautiful volley 3 minutes after he came on to complete a vital win in Europe.

champsleagueb.png

Carling Cup
Stamford Bridge

Chelsea 2-0 Manchester United
(Fernando Torres, Frank Lampard)
Frank Lampard

Chelsea put in a delightful show today as they beat, top of the table, Manchester United in the Carling Cup. Glazkov showed his determination to win trophies this season by fielding a full strength side, despite a league game against Arsenal only 4 days after. However Torres got Chelsea off to a good start after the 31st minute and Frank Lampard's header sealed the win seconds before half time. Fernando Torres had a late goal disallowed for offside, there was no argument from the Spaniard, despite replays showing he was in line with the last defender.

Chelsea-Norwich-Frank-Lampard-Premier-League+cropped

Carling Cup Quarter Final Draw
West Ham v Bolton
Fulham v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Arsenal
Stoke v Portsmouth

If Glazkov's men want this trophy this season: They're going to have to do it the hard way.

Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium

Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea
(Dider Drogba x2)
Didier Drogba

As Chris Kamara would say; "Unbelievable". Didier Drogba got Chelsea off to a good start after 19 minutes with a powerful header to beat the Arsenal 'keeper. However Chamakh and Gervinho scored two in 10 minutes before half time to give Arsenal the lead at the break. Didier Drogba got his second after 64th minute with another header and in the dying seconds of the game Drogba got himself through on goal to score, what seemed to be, his hat-trick deep into injury time. The Chelsea team were in uproar to see the assistants flag raised to deny what should have been a Chelsea win. Drogba was furious with the decision and after the final whistle continued to argue with the officials. Pavel Glazkov stormed onto the pitch after the whistle had gone to have words with Andre Marriner and was pulled away by Sven Bender and John Terry as things got a bit heated.

Pavel Glazkov had a lot to say to the media after the game. He stated; "It's ridiculous. Didier was well onside, the Arsenal defence stopped as if he was offside which made it seem to be off. He wasn't and I'm very disappointed with this. These are the decisions that can win or lose you the title. I am really disappointed."

Didier Drogba

image.aspx

6 goals in 5 games throughout the month, the Ivorian striker has lead Chelsea to a memorable month

Barclays Premier League Table

tableoct11.png

Quite a strange looking table. That harsh decision at the end of the Arsenal game cost Chelsea two more points. West Brom remain unbeaten and see themselves third in the league, with Roy Hodgson picking up manager of the month. Wigan are surprisingly 8th, whilst Arsenal linger in the bottom half.

Great story, mate! Following as a Chelsea Fan, I love it! :) Hope you take a look at my Gunning for Glory, an Arsenal Story, thread :)

sky-sports-news.jpg

Pavel Glazkov Fined By FA

Chelsea's new manager, Pavel Glazkov recieved a £5,000 fine today for his antics at the end of Chelsea's 2-2 draw at Arsenal. Glazkov confronted referee Andre Marriner after the final whistle after he and his linesman ruled out a late Didier Drogba goal that could have won the game for Chelsea in the London derby. Pavel Glazkov had nothing to say about the FA's action, however his assistant, Roberto di Matteo, had this to say; "Pavel is very passionate about his job and maybe the red mist did descend a bit the other day. It's over now anyway, we are just looking towards our big game against Marseille in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Andre+Marriner+Chelsea+v+Arsenal+Premier+League+XN9Y0tWs1ipl.jpg

Andre Marriner books Fernando Torres for his continuous arguing with officials

I really love this story! I'm following mate, keep up the good work!

November 2011

Stamford Bridge

Chelsea 2-0 Marseille
(Fernando Torres, Florent Malouda)
Florent Malouda

Florent Malouda stole that show in his first start of the season for Chelsea. The first half remained goalless, however there was plenty of entertainment as both sides came close to taking the lead. The fitness of the Chelsea players started to show in the second half and with Ezequiel Lavezzi coming on Chelsea sparked an amazing series of chances. Florent Malouda's low cross was tapped in by Fernando Torres and Romelu Lukaku came on for Drogba to win a penalty for Chelsea. Frank Lampard's terrible penalty kick was saved by Steve Mandanda, however Chelsea's pressure consigned Marseille to another Champions League defeat as Lavezzi's pace beat the Marseille defence to pass to Florent Malouda who slotted the ball into the back of the net.

The win also ensured Chelsea's place in the knock out round of the competition with two group games to spare against Bayer Leverkusen and Napoli.

However there was some bad news. Goalkeeper Petr Cech picked up a groin strain in the dying moments of the game and is ruled out for 2-3 weeks. He is likely to miss league games against Aston Villa and Norwich.

malouda.jpg

Barclays Premier League
Villa Park

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea
(Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard)
Didier Drogba
Stiliyan Petrov

Frank Lampard came off the bench to ****** the points in a nervy display from Chelsea against the 10-men of Aston Villa. It took Drogba 7 minutes to score after he got on the end of a lovely pass from Raul Meireles. Meireles was involved again as he was on the end of a very late, and hard, tackle from Villa captain, Petrov, who was shown a straight red card. Villa equalised against the run of play through Emile Heskey on the hour mark. This prompted a triple substitution from Glazkov as Sturridge, Lampard and Alex all came on. Lampard then won the game 8 minutes from time from a neat cut back from Didier Drogba.

Barclays Premier League
Stamford Bridge

Chelsea 2-0 Norwich
(Didier Drogba, Juan Mata)
Juan Mata

Norwich had little to offer as Chelsea eased past them today. Two goals in four minutes in the first half was more than enough to secure a good win for Pavel Glazkov and his team. Didier Drogba continued his unstoppable goal-scoring run to get his 9th league goal of the season. Juan Mata then scored shortly after from a Raul Meireles assist. Fernando Torres and Romelu Lukaku came on in the second half to replace Sturridge and Drogba and continued to apply pressure on the Norwich goal. Both strikers came close, but Lukaku is still looking for his first Chelsea goal in a competitive fixture.

drogba20120310W.jpg

San Paolo

Napoli 1-0 Chelsea
Petr Cech

A weakened Chelsea team didn't turn up against Napoli tonight. Petr Cech's performance in goal was the only real highlight and he was unfortunate to concede as Cavani's 32nd minute shot was slightly deflected off Ivanovich's leg. Drogba, Sturridge and Lavezzi all came on in the second half but had a lot of work to do as the midfield had little to offer the three in the final third of the pitch. Ivanovic picked up a third yellow card in Europe this season and will consequently miss the final group game against Bayer Leverkusen who will be after at least a draw to quality in second place.

Barclays Premier League
The Hawthorns

West Brom 3-2 Chelsea
(Juan Mata, Fernando Torres)
Yousuff Mulumbu
Sime Vrsaljko

Chelsea looked to end West Brom's unbeaten start to the season at the Hawthorns when Mata's free kick beat Ben Foster to put Chelsea 1-0 up after 23 minutes. However, literally minutes later Vrsaljko went in late on Graham Dorrans and was shown a straight red card. Chelsea went in at half time as the better side however complacency crept in during the second half. Somen Tchoyi equalised for Albion and Gabriel Tamas put the Baggies ahead. Shane Long has a penalty saved by Petr Cech but minutes later he got his goal. 2 minutes into injury time Fernando Torres got a late goal but it was too little too late.

Carling Cup Quarter Final
Stamford Bridge

Chelsea 3-1 Arsenal
(Romelu Lukaku x2, Daniel Sturridge)
Romelu Lukaku

Chelsea marched into the League Cup semi finals with a great victory over Arsenal without Lavezzi, Drogba or Torres making an appearance. Glazkov stated his confidence in Sturridge and Lukaku by startingt the young pair up front and Lukaku won himself a penalty which he took himself and confidently buried it into the net. 8 minutes later he doubled his and Chelsea's tally with a good goal as he beat the defence to score a powerful finish. Daniel Sturridge got his goal on the 55th minute to make it 3-0. Abou Diaby scored a late consolation for Arsenal, but it wasn't enough as Chelsea progressed.

Romelu-Lukaku-Chelsea.jpg

Carling Cup Semi Final Draw
Fulham/Aston Villa v West Ham
Chelsea v Portsmouth

Pompey are going strong in the Carling Cup and could prove to be difficult. However, Chelsea have beat Man Utd, Millwall and Arsenal, three big games, and they should progress.

Juan Mata

_58914738_58914704.jpg

Two goals against Norwich and West Brom, along with impressive performances against Aston Villa and Arsenal ensures this months award goes to the Spaniard.

Barclays Premier League

tablenov11.png

Man Utd and Spurs are both looking good so far. West Brom keep on going and are already looking like a European team next season. Chelsea have a game in hand and can move them up to third if they win it, 6 points behind United.​