From Studio to the Stadium

savan21

Reaction score
I am generally a very quiet and reserved person. I didn't used to speak much and my feet used to do all the talking until I got into punditry of course. But my opinions were deemed as too harsh and naive, I was told its easier to speak rather than do and I usually ignored it. But the remark kept gnawing at me. My friends had tried and failed at doing so I was very Nervous to do something like this but I also wanted to prove everyone wrong. My only reservations being the first line, I am a very quiet and reserved person but I think it's time I prove myself to the world. I am tired of being called underrated. I want to be rated now and I will succeed where Gary and Phil failed, where Ryan is still trying to find his feet, Thierry has realised just how difficult it is and many other former players are struggling. And I will do it the hard way.

I am Paul Scholes, and I am going to make everyone eat their words by become a successful manager. Bring on the criticism.

View attachment 24782

Scholes takes charge of The Latics!

PAUL SCHOLES THE NEW MANAGER AT THE LATICS!

Paul Scholes was introduced today as the New Manager of the Latics! Scholes, a schoolboy fan of the club will take over from Frankie Bunns as the Latics show ambition and look to move beyond their obscurity and climb the football pyramid.

Paul Scholes recently resigned as pundit from BT Sport to start his foray into Coaching. Widely regarded as one of the best midfielders of his generation, the Media Shy Scholes takes his first step into Management at Oldham Athletic, a move which many see as a double edged sword. Taking over the struggling League 2 club could either enhance the reputation of the Manchester United Legend or destroy it to tatters like it happened to his best friend Gary Neville.

It sure is an interesting time for the club and the players who will be playing under not only a coach but a fan and a legend as well. Paul Scholes, as usual, wasn't available for a comment but it is likely that he will address the media in a few days.

The Pundits are reserving their judgement so far on a historic day for the Club​

Introduction

THE CLUB

View attachment 24771
View attachment 24770
Oldham Athletic Football Club or "The Lactics" as they are known ply their trade in League 1 of the English Football Pyramid. Founded in 1895, the Club has been lost between the Leagues since the Premier League was introduced. The Lactics won their last trophy in 1991 and have been trying to climb up the Football Pyramid ever since. The Lactics will be looking to bounce back to League 1 after relegation the previous year. A New Owner and Financial troubles won't make it any easier though. I am hoping to have a dual pronged approach. I tend to keep and want a large squad which will allow me to rotate and I will also as many friendlies as I can through out the season to sort out the finances of the club.

FACILITIES

View attachment 24769
The Facilities at the club are nothing to boast about. Its average and in most cases poor, so there are very negligible chances of getting good young players and with poor financial conditions, I don't see the conditions changing anytime soon. The only good thing is the capacity of the stadium and I am hoping we can get it full continuously in order to earn some revenue out of it.

THE SQUAD

View attachment 24768
We have a decent squad and with a few more signings (On Loan since we got no money!!) I am sure we will easily reach the playoffs but secretly I am hoping for a straight promotion.

STAFF TRANSFER

View attachment 24765
The club was in total disarray when I arrived. There were hardly any coaching staff as well and I felt the correct coaches are paramount for the development of players as well as the club. There was only one problem. THE MONEY! I had peanuts to offer to any coaches. I had to rely on my contacts and future promises to lure various coaches to the club but I think got a decent enough team now. The boys will be able to learn great stuff if they listen to the staff here. I hope the Owner doesn't fire me for the yearly rises and Promotion rises I have promised the staff!

PRE-SEASON

The club had already arranged many pre-season friendlies and I didn't want to tinker with them. It is very important to maintain relationship with the clubs so that we can get all the help that we require. I added 2 friendlies with Swansea and Manchester City earning us a grand total of 60K! That's a huge amount for the club. To think of it Pogba gets paid 250K a week, maybe I could ask him to donate some to the club. If he just maybe doesn't have a haircut once, I could pay my staff for a month! I doubt he would pick up my call though after all the criticism during my punditry!

View attachment 24764
A brilliant pre-season for me! We lost only 1-0 to Manchester City and were good in all our matches. The New signings are gelling in well and like I said, we earned 60K! Most of the players are Match Fit and I can't wait for the campaign to begin now! I hope I don't **** this up.

Transfers and August update up-next!

TRANSFER ROUNDUP!

View attachment 24680A decent transfer window as I managed to raid Premier League Clubs for their starlets and prospects to add much necessary depth to my squad. My squad was good enough for Play-off's but with my Friendlies plan as well as my wish that we mount a cup run, I decided to add a large number of players so as to rotate properly. All players are on loan and I pay zilch for them which makes it such a brilliant thing. Apparently we were also the most active English Club!

View attachment 24679 View attachment 24678

English and League 2 Transfer round up! Pep spends the most!

KEY PLAYERS

After the transfer window that we had, I feel that we should be easily winning the league. We have great depth and most of the players could perform in League 1 as well. So anything other than an automatic promotion would mean I will be disappointed. Now only if they respond well to my tactics.

DEFENCE:

View attachment 24677
The Club Captain and undisputed leader of the squad. The 36 year old is still going strong and I am hoping he will continue to do so! While his pace is a concern, his immense stats at every other aspect more than make up for it. A younger defended like Regan Poole or Ro Shawn Williams will partner with him to learn from him and cover for him as well.

View attachment 24676
Its a surprise that I have received no bids for him as he is clearly too good for this level! Could easily play for most League 1 sides and even few Championship sides. A hard working and diligent player, I have plans to keep him till Championship at least! The best player in my side! Got all the traits for a decent wing back.

MIDFIELD:

View attachment 24675
Once the great hope of the New English generation and now the hope of the Latics! Like Cameron, he belongs to a higher level and he still has the time to achieve that. I am hoping to take him under my wing and teach and train him to be patient and diligent and I still hope he can be a useful Premier League player. His range of passing and technical ability is too good for the league and he should be bossing it.

View attachment 24674
One of my favourite players from the United Academy, Gribbin possesses brilliant technical ability and a mean shot from long range. His abilities on a dead ball are truly a delight to watch. Plus he is capable of playing anywhere in the midfield. His problems? He is injury prone, temperamental and has got a mean streak. If honed well, he could be a phenomenal player in the future.

ATTACK:

View attachment 24673
The skinny lad has got some brilliant pace on him and should tear the league to shreds with decent technical ability. Another player who could easily play in the League 1 but couldn't say no to a chance of being coached by me! Heh! Cheers to me I suppose!​

Unbeaten start to the season!

AUGUST - GETTING IN THE GROOVE!

View attachment 24672A perfect start to the season as we go unbeaten in August! The draw against Forest Green the only blemish to our campaign in League and Cup. We started off the season with a 3-1 win against Promotion favourites MK Dons and went from strength to strength their on including 2 victories over League 1 sides in the Carabao Cup. Those victories really highlight our strength and capabilities and further give an indication of where we should be really playing. I hope to build on this further!

That said, and I know I will sound a bit sore here but we really need to work on our finishing. We are averaging 15 shots a match but scoring hardly 1 or 2. If we don't improve there, it will come back to bite us soon.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

R H-MURPHY -
The Aston Villa Loanee was on phenomenal form scoring 5 goals in the month as he led our title and Cup Charge. The youngster possesses a very quick pair of feet but needs to work on his composure. With time and matches under his belt, I think he will become a top class Premier League striker.

Great start so far ! neat to hear about a team like Oldham get them to the prem and maybe Europe !

Great start so far ! neat to hear about a team like Oldham get them to the prem and maybe Europe !

Thank you! Hoping to do so! The only curve ball would be if Manchester United come calling, never the less want to turn Oldham into a stable Premier League Club!

SEPTEMBER!

View attachment 24631Well, I Know I am being a bit harsh but I think we should have done better this month and could have gone unbeaten but complacency as well as our lack of clinical finishing in front of the goal hurt us. We started the month with a disappointing loss to crawley and that too despite controlling the game. Thankfully that served as a wake up call and we didn't drop any further points in the month.

The other blemish was a defeat in the Carabao Cup as we bow out in the 3rd Round to Championship side Bristol City. I know many people are saying we lost to a side 2 divisions ahead of us and we lost only on penalties and all but we need a cup run to make people notice us and also for the money. We are barely making it through on a monthly basis! There's the FA Cup though and some other C cup which is too hard to pronounce!

Onwards and upwards!

View attachment 24630
Top of the league early on is a very good sign for us! We lead everyone else by 4 points and should be able to sustain them but its a tight league and we will have to guard against complacency.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

It was very difficult to pick out one single player as a different player stood out every month but I will give it to Gribbin who has made the Central attacking role his own. His dribbles are exciting and he is also a decent threat from long distance. I hope I can get him for a season or two more if we get promoted!

OCTOBER

View attachment 24620
An unbeaten month to round off October as we begin to pull away in the league, the players from my relegated side plus my loan signings mean we are just too good for League 2 and I expect promotion to be a canter. That said, the financial situation is something that I would like to do something about and I will try and change a few of my loan players to try and extend my run in the cups.

On a positive and serious note, we did begin to score more at the end of the month which should count for something as we scored 9 goals in 2 matches with Murphy being phenomenal.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24559I am unable to upload the table for some reason but we continue to be top of the league with an 8 point cushion now! Its really going well for us in the league but I mustn't forget that most of us our best players are on loan!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 24618
R.H. MURPHY takes the award this month with a phenomenal return of 8 goals from 7 matches. The lad is really coming into his own self as he helps us extend our standing in the league!

Last edited:
NOVEMBER!

View attachment 24552An almost perfect month which was marred by a stupid loss in the cups! A match where we had 26 shots to Nil by our opponent and yet we ended up losing on penalties! I don't know how do my players manage to become so wasted in front of the goal! Maybe I should give Ole a call, he might be able to help me and give the boys a lesson in finishing and composure! Or maybe I could just sign him up for half a season! If only I could afford his wages!

Apart from the loss, we were brilliant in league and we also progressed to the 2nd Round of FA Cup. For the board, winning the 1st round is enough but I need the team to progress and I am praying for easier draws! We are surviving every month on Investment by the board only! We face Rochdale at home in the 2nd Round and that should see us progress to the 3rd Round hopefully!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24551Top of the league by 10 points with Murphy being the top goalscorer and having the best average in the league! I think we can dream of League 1 now!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Well it was very tricky to decide as Murphy and Clarke both were exceptional but my Player of the Month was neither of them, Dan Gardner has been putting in brave and diligent performances every week. Be it assists or tackles or goals! He has chipped in everywhere and I would like to give him the Player of the Month! Only player in my squad in whom other teams are interested :D

DECEMBER - A BIT OF A REALITY CHECK!
View attachment 24515View attachment 24515One of the hardest month in English Football especially for clubs like ours where Squad Depth is not a luxury that we can afford! We started off the month with a brilliant game as we dispatched off Rochdale and booked our spot in FA Cup 3rd Round. A very fine achievement for me and the club as we rake in more money by winning. Every little bit counts for us. We also dispatched of Barnsley at home easily in the Checkatrade trophy and raked in another 40K! Also, its good practice as we face them again in the 3rd round of FA Cup. In terms of the cups, it was a brilliant month.

Its in the league where we were handed a bit of a shock. We were flying high until we lost both the last games of the month with Port Vale putting 4 past us. The players were exhausted and tired but that doesn't excuse the performance. If we are to progress to the higher leagues we will have to learn to play through tired legs. A bit harsh eh? But that's how you become a top player!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24514

We maintain our 10 point lead but it could have been 16, we are comfortable for now but will have to guard for complacency. The lower leagues are very punishing in such aspects.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH!

Peter Clarke - The Captain displayed his experience and class by chipping in with 2 goals and marshalling the young defence like an astute leader. His experience and know-how is invaluable to me and I am lucky to have him in my squad. It will be a huge hole when he eventually retires.

JANUARY!

View attachment 24268
THE LEAGUE!

We started the month on a positive note after 2 back to back defeats and even managed to smash MK Dons 5-0 at home which was a very pleasing scoreline. But we ended the month on a sore note again with a 4-1 defeat to Yeovil. Sometimes I think its success getting to the head but at others, it's pure bad luck. We are still creating them chances but just not finishing them.

F.A. CUP

View attachment 24270 View attachment 24269The Cup started with an away Tie to Barnsley and it was bat **** crazy! We went a goal down before responding with 2 of our own and taking the lead. Barnsley equalised after that before we had a man sent off before retaking the lead only for Barnsley to salvage a 93rd-minute equaliser! More money for us with a Home Tie though :D! We battered them 3-0 at home and set up a tie with Bolton!

Before the match, the Bolton Manager made a comment that we were no match even though they are on verge of relegation themselves! That fired the boys up and we put 3 past them. I am absolutely ecstatic as we set up a 5th Round meeting with Wigan! The money from the Cup run has been phenomenal for our Bank Accounts and for the bosses as well.

CHECKATRADE TROPHY

We managed to defeat Wolves U-23 and win another 50K to set up a meeting with Blackpool. I am targetting this trophy just for the extra bucks so that I can pay all the promotion rises that I have promised to various people!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24266
Amidst cup run and all, we didn't lose sight of the league as we continue to lead by 10 points! The end of the month losses are a bummer though!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Dan Gardner - 5 Goals and protecting the backline means Dan takes my Player of the month! We also had to reject multiple bids for him!

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 24271
After months of trying we finally manage to nail down Tottenham as a Senior Affiliate. This will bring in another 92K and get us some cheap loan signings as we move up a division soon! It's mostly for the money though :D

FEBRUARY - THE DREAM GOES ON!

View attachment 24185
THE LEAGUE

Only 4 matches this month and we managed to lose our customary match a month while we won the others with ease. Once a month my players just switch off and that's a bit worrisome. We have a sizeable lead and are much better in League 2 but in League 1 or above where margins are very tight, a loss a month can be the difference between progress and relegation. I will need to address that but it could also be due to my young squad. So that's one thing to address. Other than that, the league is a canter now and it's only a matter of when then if!

CHECKETRADE TROPHY

A close match and we required a 93rd-minute winner from Murphy to win this one! We took lead on the 30th-minute mark but then missed plenty of chances to allow Blackpool a way back and it seemed like it is headed for penalties before Murphy again popped up in the dying seconds! The kid has been phenomenal this season but I feel he is getting burnt out now. I don't think he has ever played so many matches being the main guy and that's showing. With the league almost a certainty maybe I should sign a young free striker to rest this big guy!

F.A. CUP

Wigan are in the relegation zone of the Championship so effectively they are high-level league 1 opponents and we are good League 1 players, that's what I told my boys before the match. The young lads were raring to go and we did it as well! Gribbin scored an early before bowler doubled our lead in the 2nd half and the 93rd-minute goal by Wigan was a mere consolation! I am absolutely chuffed as we move to the 6th round of the cup. More importantly, I bring in another 180K for the club in Prize money as our financial situation now changes from insecure to Okay. More of this, please!

But I think this is the end of our run as next up is...

View attachment 24184
MANCHESTER UNITED! It's like the football gods conspired against us as we travel to Old Trafford! I am just hoping that we don't get embarrassed. If we manage to grab a replay it would be great!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24183
We are in a 14 point lead with 14 matches to go! My main interest is if MK Dons make it through, really like their academy and I hope we can achieve the same one day!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Jose Baxter stood out this month as he contributed 4 goals and a few assists. I have moved him deeper to accommodate Gribbin but he has performed really well there!

Last edited:
MARCH - HOPES AND MISERY!

View attachment 24102
THE LEAGUE

Our league form continued as it has as we win 3 and lose one in the final minutes of the match. So our annoying habit of losing at least one match continues! Wants me to rip whatever hair I have left. Although we are now only 6 points away from the title and that's a very good achievement. The lads, both mine and on loan have performed very well and it has been a pleasure to watch most of them in the league.

F.A. CUP

. It was bound to end, wasn't it? Our luck finally ran out as we lose to Manchester United. We were lucky we lost only 1-0 as they absolutely dominated us. But young Harry Lewis put in a brilliant performance with an amazing 16 saves. It was good to be back home as the crowd sang my name and also a real learning experience for my team. I told them to aim for this level. This is where we have to reach.

CHECKETRADE TROPHY

Semi-Final

We faced Newcastle U23's in the semi-final and I was a bit nervous in case they put in any of their First team players but thankfully they didn't and we dispatched them off easily. A comprehensive 4-0 win sets up for a final with South division winners i.e. Charlton. Surprisingly there was no prize money for winning the semi-finals and that was not a nice thing to know. My only reason for this cup was the money which we had direly needed and a semi-final should entitle us some money. Nevertheless, a brilliant performance and now Charlton awaits!

Final

We faced League 1 leaders in the Final and I was just hoping that we don't get embarrassed when Charlton took a lead in the 26th minute. We were creating chances but not finishing them and our attacking intent and formation left us vulnerable at the back. We weren't breached again but it was an ominous sign. I screamed at the lads at the half time but to no avail, as Charlton doubled their lead in the 65th minute via ex-united starlet Nicky Ajose.

To be honest I thought this was it but when Benteke halved the deficit after 3 minutes, we assaulted them with wave and waves of attack which finally gave us a 96th minute equalised via Dan Gardner! I was ecstatic. I love scoring late more than anything.

Needless to say, the luck was in our favour as we WON MY FIRST TROPHY! Yes, it's the Checkatrade cup but it's a trophy and only winning breeds winners! So happy for the lads and the supporters!

Oh...and another 100K in the pocket!
View attachment 24099 View attachment 24098

View attachment 24097 View attachment 24096

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24101Need I say something? On the cusp.

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 24095
Well, it's disappointing but I didn't expect much. The Ball winner seems interesting but I doubt he will ever make the cut.

APRIL/MAY!

View attachment 24091I don't know how to put it...WE ****** WON IT! Oldham are the champions and we win the League 2. We actually won after the first 2 games and the rest of the matches were used to chase a record but I was least interested in the same. We were being touted for the play-offs and that is what I was aiming for as well but after a strong start to the season we never looked back and our players played some wonderful football! They are the ones who deserve it! As a coach and as a fan, I couldn't have asked for anything more from them.

WHAT EVERYONE THINKS!

View attachment 24087
View attachment 24086
View attachment 24085
View attachment 24084
REAL PROUD OF THIS ONE!

View attachment 24083
PITTANCE!!!!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 24081
So it's Colchester, Swindon and Port Vale who get promoted with us! We win the league by a massive 20 points and our Goal Difference was 46 more than the next best! Our attacking tactics played off in the end

---

P.S: Detailed Season review will be up soon! I am planning some extra ***-bits too! Some feedback on the format as well as the style of writing will be appreciated! And I am open to suggestions as well if any!

Paul Scholes he scores goals! And wins trophies as a manager it would seem!

END OF SEASON REVIEW - PART I

View attachment 23241

LEAGUE

View attachment 23257
We were brilliant in the league during the season and I am really proud of all the players. We won 33 matches overall and scored 123 goals as the players really seemed to understand my attacking philosophy and tactics. I am a bit concerned though about how porous we looked as well as the occasional losses every month and it is something I am looking to address the next season.

I am truly chuffed though and couldn’t have dreamed for a better debut season! Onwards and upwards for the next challenge

LEAGUE CUP

The only cup wherein we weren’t successful enough as we lost to Bristol City on penalties. I am not too bummed as we performed brilliantly in the other 2 cups but I am targeting a better performance in the League Cup next season as well as trying to win it over the years. Trophies are very important for me and the players both, plus the money these things generate are fantastic.

F.A. CUP

View attachment 23256
WHAT A BRILLIANT CAMPAIGN IT WAS! Yes, the draw was easier but they were all teams in a league above mine. Some were struggling and some weren’t but we can defeat what is in front of us and we managed to do so. We beat them good teams and we defeated them easily as well.

The Cup run also really put us in public eye and brought very important money for the club. For me, the run was better than the league win and title itself.

CHECKATRADE TROPHY

I value this above all, my first trophy as a Manager and a first trophy for the club in a while and it managed to bring in around 250K which for a club like ours is a huge sum. We played some beautiful football and beat a few league 1 sides which make me confident for the next season!

STATURE

View attachment 23255
Our stature largely remains the same which tells me that League 1 is at least where the media believes we should be! Now to move upwards from here.​

Last edited: