From Studio to the Stadium

PRE-SEASON

View attachment 22694
One of my shortest ever pre-season as I spent most of the times trying to sign players for my team. I needed good players and I scouted at least a 100 players to finally sign a few which can slot straight into the team and not look out of depth at this level and I am very happy to say that we have signed some excellent players. With the players I have, I can't help but feel that we can achieve something more than just a relegation battle if the players gel well and hit the right stride.

I didn't pay attention to the pre-season or the results but the two losses were very disappointing.

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22693

It's almost as much as we currently have in the bank! This season will really boost our finances if we manage to stay in the Championship!

View attachment 22688
A relatively easy draw in a cup competition I hope to make some headway in.

View attachment 22687
I receive a contract extension and a nice pay bump! I should have taken a job with Valencia or Monaco like Gary or Henry, maybe I could enjoy being sacked more than working!

View attachment 22692
View attachment 22691
View attachment 22690
With 3 million in the bank and another 2.93 guaranteed I started to woo the board for long-needed investments in our facilities and structure.

View attachment 22689
Well, I couldn't be more surprised. If Austria can win European Championship, we can certainly win the Sky Bet version!​

Last edited:
TRANSFERS

View attachment 22684
The Premier League gets more and crazier every day!

View attachment 22683
Mostly departures as Fulham lose some of their stars due to relegation!

FREE

View attachment 22686
LOAN

View attachment 22685
For the third year in running, we sign the highest number of players in the country as I look to boost our survival chances and our signings I think will enable us to do much more than survive.

The signings, as usual, were free and loan signings as I raided the release list to bolster my squad and my U-23's (who surprisingly play in no league, any idea about that?)

David Button and Kieran O'Hara are my new Goalkeepers with Button coming in to provide experience and know-how of this level. I will be looking to rotate both of them in order to develop O'Hara as well. And yes I am aware that I sign many ex-United players.

Ben Sheaf, Brendan Galloway and C.B. Jackson will slot right into my back 4 in the centre and left and will be part of my first team XI. They could break into most championship sides and give a brilliant boost to my defence. They are the base on which I hope my attack flourishes.

Sean Goss comes to bolster the midfield and the ex-United player is a dominating presence to serve alongside Roles. He has impeccable attributes, is versatile and has a mean free kick which can help us out as well. He will have familiar faces from his United team and hopefully, that will allow him to settle in quickly.

In attack, Brewster and Cassidy return while Weah will provide competition to them. Ejaria is another player who can play anywhere in the midfield while Nmecha returns to provide depth!

All other players have been signed for the U-23's. Amongst them, I will be trying to provide time to Hoever. The ex-Liverpool player has great potential and if given the time could prove to be a great player in the future.

View attachment 22679
Despite signing 17 players, we are 23rd on the list and spend just 130K p/w, 650K less than Stoke and 270K less than the average spent in the league!

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22677
View attachment 22675
Megson, whose team is primed for relegation, has a wage spend smaller than ours is lecturing me on how difficult our season is going to be! I feel after our signings in the window, we could easily achieve playoff's especially since our main Achilles heel i.e. the defence has been dealt with.

TACTICS

View attachment 22674
This is my First choice XI along with my tactics. I didn't develop it on my own and I took it from this site but it is absolutely brilliant. I tinker with it of course based on the match or the opposition or situation but for most parts, it works like cream and I am trying to develop one of my own based on this tactic as I learn how to.

The defence picks itself up while Goss is my deepest midfielder. This allows Roles and Willock to run havoc by roaming around as Brewster Agyepong come inside to help Cassidy. This formation, as well as free roles, makes it very difficult for any team to mark any player as at any point of time there are at least 3-4 player in and around the box. The free roles mean there is a lot of space being created where Cassidy or any of the midfielder can drop in and attempt a shot which explains the high number of shots that we have in a match.

This creates a lot of pressure on the opposition defence and they eventually capitulate which is the reason for the number of goals as well as numerous goalscorers.

SQUAD ANALYSIS

GOALKEEPERS

D. Button - The ex-Fulham keeper was brought in on loan on deadline day to provide competition to O'Hara as well as bolster my squad. The shot-stopper has plenty of experience in the Premier League and Championship and could do a good job in our first season in the championship. Also brings invaluable experience to my young backline.

Kieran O'Hara - Signed for the top job but was displaced by Button last moment, the ex-United player is an able deputy and will be given games and time to stake his claim. He will gain invaluable inputs from Button and could be our No. 1 in the future (if we stay in Championship).

Depth - 4/5
Quality - 3.5/5

CENTRE BACK

Ben Sheaf - The ex-Arsenal defender is very comfortable on the ball and will help bring the ball out from the back. His lack of experience this level is a bit of hitch but nothing gives experience than being on the job. He is an important cog in my team as I have a good defence for a change.

Brendon Galloway - Experienced in Premier League and the lower league, the ex-Everton player can play anywhere across the backline and is my best defender. His experience at full-back makes him potent at coming out with the ball and it is something which is very important in my side. Along with Sheaf, he will be the base of my team this season.

Jack Elliot - One of my best players last season, he is relegated to the bench due to our sudden and surprise promotion. Still an able deputy, he will be a useful rotation option. His impact on the other end of the pitch is also invaluable as he always comes up with important goals.

Rhys Williams - The youngster has fallen down the pecking order but can learn from Galloway and Sheaf as we try to ride through this season. I am aiming to give him and Elliot games in the cup as development of the youth is very important and gives us squad depth.

K.J.Hoever - Another ex-Liverpool youngster, his versatility means he will be able to provide cover to all the defence.

Ruben Lopez - One of the few good academy graduates, I will use him as cover and give him game time whenever possible.

Depth - 3/5
Quality - 3/5

FULL-BACKS

C. Dummigan - The right back is finally at the level he always deserved to play and will be one of my better and most reliable players this season. His ability to create chances while being defensively sound is a rare quality.

Rob Hunt - Not cut out for this level but will be given minutes when Dummigan is tired or needs rest.

Cameron Borthwick Jackson - Undisputed No. 1 at the left side, like Dummigan, his role will be very vital as we look to consolidate and possibly push for playoff's.

Paul Black - See Rob Hunt! I might provide Levine or Hinds or some other youth player minutes instead of his. Both him and hunt have been retained for loyalty and depth only.

Depth - 2/5
Quality - 3/5

MIDFIELDERS

Sean Goss - My best midfielder and signed from QPR, he has a level head and quality for this level. He is very good at dead balls and his passing is immaculate. He could be the fulcrum of my squad and his passing could provide chances and assists to my attackers.

Matty Willock - The ex-United player is not entirely cut out for this level but his energy, enthusiasm and determination means he is a potent thought. With Goss charged with being the deepest midfielder, he can unleash his attacking side to disturb opposition defences.

Jack Roles - He is another player who can be a menace in an attacking role and Goss will be able to free him to explore that role. Willock and Roles will be my attacking pivot this season.

Jonny Williams - Able in both attacking and defensive roles, he will be able to provide breathers to Willock, Roles and Goss. He is a good enough player and could provide all 3 a run for a place in the squad.

Aidan Barlow - He is an option for the attacking roles in the squad. He is terrific going forward and inconsistency is his only and fatal bane.

P. Maghoma, H. White, E.Galbraith - The U-23 players could provide cover if needed. They are technically sound players and all they lack is the physique and the experience.

Depth - 4/5
Quality - 3/5

WINGERS/ATTACKERS

Rhian Brewster - One of the best players at the club as he returns for another spell. A tireless workhorse, he is a player determined to prove his worth to the world. He can dribble, he can score and he can be an important outlet on the right as well. He could also provide cover in the role of the Striker. Easily one of the first names on the team.

Thomas Agyepong - A quick player with decent technical skills, he might not be able to make it to the top but he is a very vital pleyr for the club. One of the few players capable of playing out wide, he has scored important goals for us last season.

Ovie Ejaria - On loan from Liverpool, I am tempted to see how he and Brewster function together on opposite wings. More reliant on his technical skills than physique, his loan spell at Birmingham means he already knows what the league is about.

Aidan Barlow - A cover player.

G. Nepomuceno - Like Black and Hunt, he is here for squad depth and rotation.

Felix Nmecha - Squad Depth

Depth - 2/5
Quality - 2.5/5

STRIKERS

Ryan Cassidy - The best striker at the club, he really came into his own in the second half of last season and never looked back. He is quite possibly my best player and his goals will be vital as we look to sail through this stormy season.

Timothy Weah - The PSG player will compete with Cassidy for the main role but having missed the pre-season due to Olympics, will have to wait for his chance. A very physical player, he should be an ideal fit for this level.

George Thomas - The ex-Leicester player is one of the top earners but he doesn't seem to be half as good. Can play in any position in attack, he can be a useful rotation player nonetheless.

Depth - 3/5
Quality - 4/5

AUGUST

View attachment 22650
THE LEAGUE

If only I had known that strong defence would mean I could rout opposition then I would have made these signings ages ago! We were primed for relegation, written off and the thought has even crossed my mind that we are in the Championship a year or two too soon but what a blistering start to the season! We conceded a solitary goal in the league and scored 27 goals as we blazed our way to the top of the table. The only team who posed any sort of challenge was Middlesborough who managed to contain our impressive attack by sitting deep and not losing their shape. Each and every player has been phenomenal and I have achieved almost half the points of what I was aiming for in the first month itself! The tactic has done wonders for the team and the players have adapted to it brilliantly! Premier League, here we come?

CARABAO CUP

We made easy work of the two League 2 opponents as they never threatened me and I could rotate my squad amongst a mammoth month. We reach to the 3rd round again where we face West Ham in what will be our biggest test so far. Can we break the hoodoo of the 3rd round and finally progress or will we have met our match again?

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22649
A 5 point lead, Cassidy has the most goals, highest average while Roles has the most assists! Can't ask for any more. Fulham are down at 19th while Leeds are in relegation zone.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

R. Cassidy - He scored 11 goals in total for us in the league last year but has already done so in August and he looks to be growing in confidence day after day. He scored in each of the 9 matches and scored 4 in the Forest rout and according to my assistant, he is good enough for the Premier League! Should be fun in the championship with him then!

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22648
View attachment 22647
View attachment 22646
Well deserved I must say! It is wonderful that he acknowledged the club for his goals and award! I wish I can sign him

TRANSFER NEWS

Two players were brought in on the loan transfer deadline as Jordan Williams rejoins us for depth while Bradley Johnson also joins us from Derby on loan.

---

Going really well again but I fear this is the issue with downloadable tactics that technically 'break the game.....not taking anything away from you of course but do you not lose a lot of the challenge when it all comes so easy because of a downloaded tactic rather than creating your own....for me, part of being a football manager is working out my players and tactics that suit and that is the whole challenge for me.

Like I said mate, it's each to their own and I'm enjoying the read. Just wondered what your opinion was on this?

Going really well again but I fear this is the issue with downloadable tactics that technically 'break the game.....not taking anything away from you of course but do you not lose a lot of the challenge when it all comes so easy because of a downloaded tactic rather than creating your own....for me, part of being a football manager is working out my players and tactics that suit and that is the whole challenge for me.

Like I said mate, it's each to their own and I'm enjoying the read. Just wondered what your opinion was on this?

Completely agree with you! The league 1 wasn't so much of a surprise since I had signed players which were good for the league but the Championship where only half of my team is good enough for the league was a huge surprise as well as disappointment for me. I didn't want to just waltz through to the premier league and then win it and all. I needed a challenge and hence the Oldham save.

I changed my tactics right after August and adopted an experimental tactic that I have been trying to implement since I bought FM 2019. Let's see what that will bring to the fore now.

Thanks for the feedback though! I appreciate it. I myself lost a lot of motivation once I won so much in August! Seemed unrealistic.

Completely agree with you! The league 1 wasn't so much of a surprise since I had signed players which were good for the league but the Championship where only half of my team is good enough for the league was a huge surprise as well as disappointment for me. I didn't want to just waltz through to the premier league and then win it and all. I needed a challenge and hence the Oldham save.

I changed my tactics right after August and adopted an experimental tactic that I have been trying to implement since I bought FM 2019. Let's see what that will bring to the fore now.

Thanks for the feedback though! I appreciate it. I myself lost a lot of motivation once I won so much in August! Seemed unrealistic.

Cheers for coming back to me mate and it's interesting to hear you say this....when I first got into FM about 7 or 8 years ago I always used to download tactics and use them. Every year I'd find one amazing tactic that broke the game and had ridiculous success with every club I managed with pretty average players and it quickly took all the fun and motivation away for me. For the past 3 years I've made a rule to myself that I don't use any downloaded tactics and they're all my own work from start to finish....I haven't won anywhere near as much on the game but it's so much more realistic and gives me a much bigger buzz when I do actually achieve something.

I will be following mate and am interested to see how the rest of the season goes.

TACTICS UPDATE!

After blitzing through teams in August when my team was tipped for relegation I had to rethink about the challenge and decided that I will use my own experimental tactic instead of the downloaded one to enable me to enjoy the save as well grow tactically on my own. The template will obviously be based on Gegenpressing which I admire a lot ever since I saw the Dortmund team of 2011/12 and 2012/13 use it with devastating effect in those seasons.

For any reader who felt the save/story is false or not that true due to the downloaded tactic from this very site, I apologise and I hope I can achieve as much using my own tactic as I did using the one from the site. Without any further ado, I will unveil my new set of tactics for you.

HOME TACTIC/FAVORITE TEAM

View attachment 22644A 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 previously used, the midfield pivot will assume a more defensive role instead of the previous attacking roles in the 4-3-3. The full-backs will look to attack and occupy the space the Inside forwards look to vacate and create width as well as provide crosses from the wings. The midfield will stay back along with the defenders to provide a bank of 4 to defend in case of an opposition attack while the forward and the central attacking midfielder will be tasked with pressing the opposition defence and creating pressure on them.

The Shadow striker was a position I used often in the previous versions and I am interested to see how they perform in this one. I plan to use Aidan Barlow in the role as he has got a decent foot on him and could provide long-distance goals if he wins the ball in the area. The IF's, SS and Pressing forwards will provide me 4 people in the attack along with the full-backs for support which could help with overloading and overwhelming the opposition defence.

UNDERDOG TACTIC

View attachment 22643
Inspired by another tactically astute manager, the 5-3-2 is from the books of Antonio Conte. The ex-Juventus manager unveiled this tactical master class in the Premier League and as a result, won the League. The tactic is based on hardworking players who can graft it hard. The 3 person defence will assure a defensively stable base which will be hardened by the Ball-Winning midfielder while the RPM will serve as a link between attack and defence.

The attack will be again reliant on the wing-backs as well as the Mezzala. The 2 forwards will continue to press while the second role of the forward will be alternated between an advance forward or a deep-lying one based on how the opposition midfield is lined up. The tactic is meant to soak up the pressure and counter quickly.​

Cheers for coming back to me mate and it's interesting to hear you say this....when I first got into FM about 7 or 8 years ago I always used to download tactics and use them. Every year I'd find one amazing tactic that broke the game and had ridiculous success with every club I managed with pretty average players and it quickly took all the fun and motivation away for me. For the past 3 years I've made a rule to myself that I don't use any downloaded tactics and they're all my own work from start to finish....I haven't won anywhere near as much on the game but it's so much more realistic and gives me a much bigger buzz when I do actually achieve something.

I will be following mate and am interested to see how the rest of the season goes.

I do understand what you mean! I had created my tactics but was reluctant to use them, it was the August results which prompted me to delete the downloaded one to change to mine to see what I can achieve on my own.

Plus the new tactics setup in FM 2019 is wonderful for even a novice player, and enable him to understand the nuances of the game. Should be a fun season going forward.

Hopefully the game will give you a bigger sense of achievement yourself as well when using these tactics....there's nothing better than seeing your own astute observations coming off on the pitch. After all, that's a huge part of what being a football manager is all about!

It makes you stop, take notice of things in the match, and make little tweaks here and there to solve problems. I've also found it makes you a little more aware in the transfer market, rather than being able to sign pretty average players and bung them in a downloaded tactic and all of a sudden they're superstars in your team!

Looking forward to see where this goes for you and on the plus side, even if your tactics initially dive bomb and you get relegated, surely the board can't sack you after two straight league wins lol!

SEPTEMBER

View attachment 22629
THE LEAGUE

Our unbeaten run continues as we manage to win/draw all of the matches in the month but our aura of dominance which was there in august has been diminished. The defence has been a bit porous while players are still getting used to the new shape and roles. Nevertheless, it was a very good month as we managed to avoid any losses. In the game against Derby, they scored in the 93rd minute to equalise after we had a man sent off.

Compared to the previous tactic though, the number of shots we have in a match have decreased and the matches are much tighter and have been often decided by individual brilliance.

CARABAO CUP

Our first win in the third round of the cup as we managed to defeat West Ham away, which in itself is an achievement. The game was all about ex-City player Agyepong. The inside forward managed to score 2 goals as he led us to victory. The young forward opened the scoring in the 6th minute before his movement was useful in creating the space for the second.

It was another effort from him which restored our 2 goal lead before a goal from Xande meant it was a nervy last 20 minutes but we managed to hold on and progress to the fourth round for the first time.

We face Manchester United at home next!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22628
Our lead has been cut to one point as West Brom have a perfect month while we had to be content with 2 draws but we still continue to be top of the league. Roles I must say has developed a lot and he is now Championship level when at the beginning he was a leading League 1 player. An important achievment and progress for us.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Thomas Ageypong - He scored 4 goals and was a constant menace before his injury in the cup game. His work rate and trickery on the left side is very important and that was felt in the game once he was injured. A vital cog of the team. I can't wait to have him back.

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22627
View attachment 22626
International recognition for my players! Such a proud moment!

View attachment 22625
View attachment 22624
Another player who is approving of the Oldham effect! Such news makes me very happy.
---​

Loving the rapid rise mate, Weah looks to have settled in and will be a big player this season

Loving the rapid rise mate, Weah looks to have settled in and will be a big player this season

Hasn't been scoring much, but he is causing a lot of trouble to defence in general. I have been playing him on the right as an IF though.

OCTOBER

View attachment 22429
THE LEAGUE

A month which had a promise of being much better but was disappointing in the end. 3 draws in 5 matches, with goals in the last 5 minutes condemning us to 2 draws is a difficult thing to digest. Our 2 man midfield means we are often overrun in the *** end of the match and I am thinking of including a defensive mid after 65-70 minutes of a match we are leading in. None of this would be a problem though if my attackers could just be more clinical. On a positive note, still unbeaten in the league.

CARABAO CUP

This was a much closer match than the one in F.A. Cup 2 years back and that is a sign of progress enough for me. They proved too much for us in the end but we did manage to show some sort of fight. We had more possession and more shots than them. One of these days, I am going to show Jose what my team is made of!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22425We continue our surprising reign on the top of the table, albeit just on Goal Difference now as WBA catches up with us. If someone had told me that you will be top of the league in October on GD, I would have taken it in the pre-season and hence I am not complaining, much.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

4 goals scored by Weah this month as he gets used to his role on the right-hand side of the attack. His pace and his strength mean he is very handful at this level and he is showing his worth now. If he and Cassidy can strike up a partnership, 2 up front is an option as well.

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22428
View attachment 22427
View attachment 22426
Since we are top of the league, I spent all the money we had accumulated so far on developing the facilities! I hope I don't regret it later.

View attachment 22424
Weah enters the awards list!​

NOVEMBER

View attachment 22406
THE LEAGUE

Another 4 points dropped in the league as we let in late goals after failing to finish off the matches. I will need to have a look at the fitness regime of the players as the focus simply disappears in the last minutes. Out of all the draws, only once have we come back from behind. In all of the other draws, we have failed to finish the match and paid for it later. I will have to go back to my drawing board to resolve this. Do I go gung ho like Ole or park the bus like Jose?

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22405We cling on to the top position by Goal Difference again but the draws are hurting us. If not for our early season form, we might have been lost in midtable obscurity.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Aidan Barlow - The youngster grabbed his chances after a hiatus, scoring 2 and playing key roles in other goals to come back into contention.
IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22404
Our youngsters continue to shine in this tough league!

Last edited:
DECEMBER

View attachment 22390
THE LEAGUE

A surprisingly light December as we only play 5 games but it includes our first loss of the season and I must say it has been coming. I didn't expect us to go unbeaten the whole season anyway. The problem is that beyond my first choice defence, the backups are useless. And either I play a tired first choice or face a barrage of attacks as my back-ups are incompetent. We were lucky to escape with a 1-0 loss due to inept Huddersfield attack. The draws and close wins are catching up with us now.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22389
We lose the top spot finally as West Brom through their consistency overtake us. The spot at the top is really bothering me now as my beyond XI players, my team is not good for the championship to forget the premier league. But in contrast to that, I really need the premier league money for the club to be financially stable. Doubled edged sword eh?

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Jack Roles - The midfield maestro seems to be finally settling into a two role formation as he enjoys a successful month.

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22381
View attachment 22380
The league seem to agree with me as Jack wins young player while comes 2nd overall.

The Burnley vs Manchester United match meant that I was up all night yesterday and I steamrolled through the season! As soon as I have got some sleep will try and upload January to May today itself!

JANUARY

View attachment 22214
THE LEAGUE

Another month typified due to our inability to finish the game off as we had to be content with 3 draws with the one against hull the most damning. Hull scored 2 goals in the 91st and 93rd minute to ****** a draw. The lack of able back-ups meant I had to put under par defenders as substitutes and that hurt us. The only thing that has been a huge concern for us is our lack of quality players beyond the playing XI and I hope the 1-2 signings of the window help with that.

F.A. CUP

WHAT A WIN! When we were drawn against Manchester City at home, all I thought about was the revenue it would generate as I had given up most of my hopes of a win but what a splendid effort by the boys! After dispatching off Crawley easily we approached the Manchester City with the same swagger. The players played like that they had something to prove and prove they did as we comprehensively beat a full-strength Manchester City side and even managed to embarrass them! Best win of my short managerial career.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22213
We drop off 4 points from West Brom as they continue their prolific run while we stumble a bit against the sides in the bottom of the table. The draw against Hull was the most traumatic thing for me. Now I know slightly how Bayern might have felt that day, just a bit though.
IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22212
Rhian Brewster finally springs to life! After a not so impressive start to his Oldham career, the Liverpool youngster was brilliant in January with his pace and trickery causing a lot of trouble to opposition defence. He was very good in the match against Manchester City and played a key role in the victory, managing to get on the scorecard too!

TRANSFERS

3 players come in as we look for better depth in the team! Folarin Balgaoun is a youngster who joins permanently from Arsenal and will add depth to our attacking option

Riling Hatemi joins from Dortmund to relieve the pressure on Goss. Our best deep-lying playmaker, his ability has been hampered due to playing week in and out. The youngster can rotate with him as he looks to establish himself in the footballing world!

Tommy Smith also comes on loan from Brighton! The defender can play everywhere in defence and is a fantastic right back! He offers useful cover and chance to rest Dummigan as well

View attachment 22203
Why did they think I will agree is a huge question!​

FEBRUARY

View attachment 22199
THE LEAGUE

A brilliant month only marred by an ungainly defeat to 17th placed Sheffield Wednesday as the boys had a terrible night on the field. We collected 12 out of the 15 points in the league including an important win against Derby where we came from behind on one of the rare times to record a victory. The defence except for the Bolton match always ended up conceding a goal or two and the lack of a clean sheet is a worrying concept.

F.A. CUP

Stoke are struggling in the league and made for a perfect opponent as we managed to score 3 and keep a clean sheet! They were never able to get into the game with Ejaria a constant menace as he altered between the middle and the wings, managing to look threatening from both the places! Brewster and Ejaria have picked a really brilliant time to get into form!

THE LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 22196
A terrible month for WBA and a good one for us means we are back on the top of the table! The margin for error is very few as WBA, Hull and us vie for the 2 promotion spots!

IN OTHER NEWS

View attachment 22194
Liverpool awakens post winter!

View attachment 22193
A brilliant free-kick from around 30 yards out!

View attachment 22192
First award after August!

View attachment 22191

WE OFFICIALLY AVOID RELEGATION! I ACHIEVE MY TARGET OF THE SEASON!