From the Dole to the Top! - Thank you Bath City

Barnesy1986

Reaction score
First ever FM post, so here goes nothing. Starting out unemployed on the dole looking to make it as high as possible. Will it be a one team man (Giggs style) or the money grabber club to club man. Only time will tell.

View attachment 775251View attachment 299589View attachment 299579

Jim White has some Breaking News! Bath City have sacked manager Lee Howells.
They have also acted very quickly in finding a replacement in unknown Manager Mr B.
He said ' It was a bit of shock that they came for me as I am out of work, but I could't say no as they are paying me to boss around people and make them better at what they do!'

Let me know what you think guys of the story as it gets going hopefully a few more posts to follow soon.

Last edited:
First few fixtures and squad analysis - Bath city

So I already played a few games before I decided this would be the post that I would do. I took over as the club were in terrible form and lost a lot of games not scoring in 8 of the first fixtures.

Surprising that as I came in the Team had won the last game 1-0 at Bromley.
Looking at the first two games I had in charge after a quick scan of the team which has a lot of players out with injuries I decided that it was simple solution needed. Lets lump it up and keep it tight. Two clear instructions to the players, get it forward when ever possible and stick to your position when defending. By some luck it work with two wins followed.
View attachment 299576

The first against Hamel Hempstead who are bottom of the league, but as I was in 18th at the time it must be seen as a vital win. 1-1 for a long time till a 88th minute penalty slotted away.
followed up with another 2-1 win over St Albans another team below us. Ross Stearn with a double.
View attachment 299573
As you can see that has shot us into a nice 10th. With the side in need of players I have been looking at any youth player possible to bring in. Ideally a striker who can find the net would help.

The manager honeymoon period not over just yet lets home it continues.

Any tips or thoughts let me know guys.

First month in charge - Bath City

After two wins in the first two games we had at the start of the previous post the honeymoon period continued for a little while longer with a 3-1 victory over Farnborough with Stearn being the star man, that followed up with a nice 2-0 win against Maidenhead. Two signing I managed to bring in getting one goal each. (profiles to follow)

And its over two defeats 1-0 Ebbsfleet who are a decent team in this division and a team I took along way on FM11 I think. we all know that previous great saves always stick in our mind. A end to end game to finish against Chelmsford, a winnable fixture would have put us into the playoff frame but the 4-2 defeat see's us knocked back down to mid-table.

View attachment 299427
The morale is back after another win against Hamel Hampstead this time in the FA Trophy.

View attachment 299424

This is the Original squad, as you can see fitness and injuries are all over the team and the main player is Ross Stearn, really hoping he can fire us a bit more up the league and somehow I can shift a player out to make room another youngster to come in.

View attachment 299420View attachment 299419

Walsh the first player to come in a young winger with pace and flair. Good technically for this level with crossing ans dribbling hopefully can add a few assists. Not a bad start and on very little wage. Calvin-pay I'm a little more excited by scored on his debut and seemed to have good pace and finishing, a partnership with Stearn would be nice to see.

My Player of the Month - Ross Stearn 7 Goals in 7 games

Let me know what you think of the youngsters and the story so far.....onto the next month

December Results - Bath City

View attachment 299334
December Results
3 wins. 1 draw, 1 defeat

Not a terrible run of results, stand out win against stains in the FA Trophy which has its positives and negatives the extra games are hard to cope with this team of injuries, but the extra cash generated should be good for the team as I am spending slightly over on the wage budget which will cause a problem going into next season.
Disappointed result against Weston-super-mare after beating them 1-0 a few weeks before we had the majority of the clear cut chances but the ball would not go in!

Player of the month -Jamie Calvin-Pay 4 Goals in 3 games.

Major concern is a injury to Ross Stearn out for 3 weeks

View attachment 299332

This league table is slightly in the future as I played a couple more games than I should have but we are in a poised position in 9th but I did want to highlight the fact we have only scored 26 goals in the league and those near the top are nearly double that!

let me know what you think guys hopefully we can hit the play-offs within the next month

January results - Bath city

View attachment 298972
January Results
4 wins 2 defeats 0 draws

A really good run of results with one of the defeats coming in the FA Trophy against Telford who are in the league about we showed that on a one off game we can compete at that level which was a nice thing to see.
The best result was the turn around against Staines, 5-3 the second half was a onslaught from our attack nice to see us scoring more goals but I would like to have more clean sheets. Nice to see Jordan Carter who had recently been move from the U21's due to injury bagging 2 on debut and rightly so Man of the match.
View attachment 298971View attachment 298969

The away game at Maidenhead was a real steal for us in a game that should have been a draw to be honest, the team kept battling on and got the winner. Calvin-Pay and Pratt had a nice partnership in this game both grabbing a brace each! Calvin-Pay picking up an injury which thankfully was not as bad a first feared.

Player of the month - Jamie Calvin-Pay 6 goals in 6 games
A close second was Dan Ball a left back who is very consistent and not missed a game since I came in as manager

View attachment 298966
League Table
League table is getting tight still in negative goal difference but if we keep on the same win percentage I can see us getting into the play offs, 5 points from 2nd is good from picking up the team in 18th. (I think a bit of a false position from Bath due to injuries when I took over)

Let me know what you think guys of the push to the top of the league can it be achieved!

February Results - Bath City

View attachment 298923
February Results
2 wins 1 draw 2 defeats

A really up and down month, Basingstoke who sat in 20th was a shambles of a result one which could have put us into the play-offs for the first time in the season. Its almost a invisible wall that we just can't get over the line in the play-offs. That result must have had a impact on the next as we entertained Bishop's Stortford and 3-0 up was nearly made a draw as they came back to 3-2 but we held out well.
A good win followed on at Gosport, a team very much destined for mid-table.

View attachment 298920

The big game against a play off contender Ebbsfleet ended in defeat somehow Ben May getting the winner at the death, with our long ball system still in force we never really have the better possession but we did in this game and created more of the chances, disappointing not to sneak a draw. Maybe that lack of concentration leaked into the next game against Heyes and Yeading a shocking 1-1 against a team really near the bottom.

Player of the month - Dan Ball 1 goal 5 games. Avg rating 7.00 for the month.
In a woeful defence the one shining light

View attachment 298916View attachment 298912

League table says it all just off the top playing 1 games less than those in the play-offs.
Just to show my normal line up has been for the majority of the season. simple 4-4-2 but I am tempted to switch to a 4-5-1 to try and break the voodoo of the play-offs.

Any comments welcome guys on the push to the top!

You've done fantastic since joining the club. I hope you can continue the form and catch up with first place, play-offs can be such a harsh end to a Season.

You've done fantastic since joining the club. I hope you can continue the form and catch up with first place, play-offs can be such a harsh end to a Season.
Thanks Jedd95, hopefully I can break what has seemed the impossible line, getting to the play-off positions at the end of the season. If not I can still consider it a job well done and maybe move on, but all focus on the push for now!

March and April Results - Bath City

Late night play saw me go to the end of the season.

View attachment 298762
March and April Results
5 Wins 3 Defeats 0 draws

A mix bag of results and nerves of steal needed, started well with a win over Hamel Hampstead, Concord Rangers basically put us back into place, then down hill it went against Farnborough a 4-0 defeat one of the worst we had suffered. A change was needed, sick of conceding goals, cheap stupid crazy defending goals. I changed the formation to a flat back 5-4-1 after a poor 1-0 win against Bromley, for the remainder of the games. We also had two late additions to the squad, i'd noticed that club around us where getting players on loan for £0 something that had slipped my mind in this save and with the loan window closing we acted quickly and got in Ollie Wakins from Exeter and Kwasi Tuffour from Kidderminster.

View attachment 298760View attachment 298761
View attachment 298739View attachment 298738

The formation change bring about a smash and grab result against at the time top of the league Havant and Waterlooville, Both shots on target giving us the goals to win away. Chris Allan having a great game in the midfield passing and breaking up the play on several occasions.

With us picking up 4 wins on the bounce with out new formation spear headed by the class of Ross Stearn, it saw us finally get into the play-offs and it was all down to the last day of the season.

We had a tough game away from home at Staines.

View attachment 298758 vsView attachment 298759

All we need to do is better any result that Ebbsfleet get as they will take out position in the play-offs.

The game kicked off with Bath city very nervous not passing the ball well or putting it into areas for the attackers to latch onto. Staines take the lead on (24 mins) C. Willcock. No really attacks to note from Bath City, but still in the game.
Half time - Score check Ebbsfleet are 0-0 so we can still do this lads lets get a goal and get what we deserve this season.
2nd half kicks off and before we know it the score is 3-0 and the lads are starting to panic, the fans are not happy whilst also keeping check on the scores elsewhere.
A emphatic cheer from the Bath crowd indicated that despite leading just after HT Ebbsfleet have been pegged back and now are losing 1-2 to Bishop's Stortford, the crowd are really making a noise which transfers to the players and a late fight back is on the cards as Stearn (81) and Pratt (85) give us hope.
Final whistles all round the grounds!

Score check and Massive thanks to Bishops Stortford who held out 2-1 to give themselves the league title and keep us in the hunt to the conference by the skin of our teeth!

Player of the months - Ross Stearn 7 goals 8 games.
This guy is the reason we made the push to the top excellent when needed in the big game. Hopefully form will continue into the Play-offs.

Final League Table
View attachment 298751

PLAY-OFF DRAW - Bath City vs Havant & Waterlooville - Wealdstone vs Maindenhead

Let me know what you think of the dramatic finish guys and the draw.

Last edited:
Vanarama South Play-off Semi Final - Bath City

View attachment 298737vsView attachment 298736

View attachment 298735

The first leg of the tie played at Home, looking for a strong performance especially after the last day drama. I was changing the formation along time for this game trying to prepare for what outcomes could be. I decided that after the last day defeat we can't just have a flat back 5 so I pushed the full back into wing backs which then created the place for the 4 midfielder to be made into a 3 with two up top hopefully latching onto our direct passing style. Throughout the season the style of play has always been keep it away from our goal and get onto the attack as quick as we can.
I would say we are underdogs for the two leg affair but at home I fancied us to show them how to play quick direct football.

Another nervous start from us say us defending like beavers from the start but as we finally got a foot in the game a quick ball forward into the box and down went Watkins - screams of PEN!.......Ben Adelsbury not even the first choice taker decided he wanted this to be his moment, and he smashed it into the net. exactly the start we needed now they will come at us with force and we can counter.
A short throw in from the right, Stearn traps the ball and on the swivel puts the ball in low into the box. Ben Adelsbury full of confidence pounces on it and places it home for 2-0 lead.......HT 2-0
Second half similar to the start of the first with us defending with all we have, bodies on the line. What looks like a training ground routine throw in from the right side again Gallinagh to the feet of Stearn, who drops a shoulder and turns the opposite way left foot ball low cross into the box again.....Ollie Watkins controls the ball and with cool finish blasts it home for 3-0. Time to concentrate from the lads the tie is still not over and with that scream from the side lines the ball drops to Pele for them and he thunders home a strike from the edge of the box.... We hold on for a nice 3-1 1st leg lead.
View attachment 298731

Player of the match - Ben Adelsbury
Watkins and Stearn causing all sorts of problems with there hold up play and pace

2nd Leg Vanarama South play-off Semi Final

View attachment 298730

I reverted the wing back to the back 5 but kept 3 in the middle and 2 up top to provide the outlet, we started well in the game I assumed we would be under pressure from the first whistle but we made the home fans suffer with nothing to cheer for as we came out confident on the ball. Then a piece of pure magic from ROSS STEARN he picks the ball up on the left near the half way line and start to run with it and then come in on his favoured right foot and continues with real desire to make something happen, he's flying with the ball Havant and waterlooville players can't catch him and bums begin to lift from seats he hits the ball as he gets just to the edge of the box and it ripples the net right in the top corner. Gob smacked with the quality of goal. STEARN stand with his chest puffed out and arms aloft.........(Cantona's chip comes to mind)
View attachment 298727View attachment 298726View attachment 298725View attachment 298724

4-1 up on Agg 1-0 in the leg
We rally at half time and the lads know its now or never for them to keep this lead and get to a final. We keep them quiet for the most part of the rest of the game, a late goal by Perry Ryan (81) is a little bit too late for them to come back and we see the game out with great celebrations at the end

Player of the match - Ross Stearn who else!

Vanarama South Play-Off Final draw - Bath City vs Maidenhead

Let me know what you think of that goal and performance over two legs. The Final will follow soon​

Vanarama South Play-off Final - Bath City

View attachment 298636vs View attachment 298635

View attachment 298634

First thing to notice is we have to play the tie away at York Road, Maidenhead. But that may suit us to keep them quiet and maybe slightly less pressure on us, its a final but not the home team.
We are the underdogs with the bookies for that very reason but we fancy ourselves especially after the performances put in both home and away in the Semi final.

KO 0-15min - The first 15 minutes no team has started to play football yet a lot of long ball football being played by both sides, Maidenhead having the better of the pressure and forcing a few corners but nothing to worry the back 5. At the end of the first 15 mins we had our chances with a succession of corner and half chances this was very positive for our travelling fans, I could feel a good chance would be coming our way soon by the way they were defending but would we be able to take that chance.

26min - A surging attack from the left side of the pitch saw a small mistake that almost lead to a chance for O.Watkins, with the ball cleared to the right hand side of the pitch and defenders for them pushed into the box, Allan went racing down the right after a direct back from the back, we whipped it to the back post and Watkins jumps with a defender and a overly committed goalkeeper, the ball clears to the edge of the box with a open goal waiting for the ball to be struck and struck it was.... take a bow Ben Adelsbury on the volley he guides the ball into the empty net. 1-0 Bath City

45+1 - We held out until just before half time, maybe slightly over confident at that point but we are committing players forward now on every attack looking for a second and stray pass from Adelsbury is picked off by left back Page with midfielders missing in action he picked a nice through ball playing in Morgan who crosses for Hippolyte to head home.

HT 1-1
45-60 - Both sides are flying out the blocks in the second half its more a basketball game than football, Stearn having a curling shot just go wide and Ottley saving from a tight angle against Hippolyte, We have a deep cross that goes to the keeper they have a deep cross that goes to the keeper. The only player that is really making that 1% difference is Adelsbury in midfield for us, he is breaking his neck flying around the pitch joining attacks and defending all at the same time, I'm not sure how this form came around!

69 Min - A throw from Ball on the left into Adelsbury a quick one two see's the ball whipped into the box and cleared but not far enough another decent ball in from Adelsbury and it isn't dealt with by any of the Maindenhead defenders, it drops to Stearn and with ice cold finishing he slots it home and wheels away in celebrations!

'We must defend now for our lives this is the time to be counted lads!'
79 Mins - Hippolyte picks the ball up wide right and skips past a couple of players he smashes the ball as he sees Ottley off his line as time almost slows down, when you see a keeper back peddling towards his own goal, Ottley jumps like a kangeroo and tips it just over the bar.

the next phase of play sees Ottley to the rescue again as a cross goes past all defenders and lands at Hutchinson, Ottley runs at him spreading like an eagle to save!

The clock ticks down and we regroup after those scares, claiming any throw in and free kick we can to waste down the clock.

View attachment 298627

Player of the match - Ben Adelsbury 8.3

What a victory, what a season and what a way to take it to the last moments of the game. The Conference awaits and with that news.
View attachment 298626
I SIGNED A ONE YEAR DEAL

Last edited:
Time to move on - Ross Stearn we will always love you

After much thinking about the time at Bath city, I've come to the conclusion that the aim of the thread was to get high as possible in terms of reputation of league managed in and team managed so with that I intentionally looked for a new club. With that news the club give me the ultimatum that I apologise for looking at other clubs or resign.

Bath City was a great start to the career but overall I think we pulled up tree's last season getting a promotion was very lucky! I think my love for the team was not as strong as it should have been and I was attached to Ross Stearn more than the club its self.

View attachment 297959
Ross Stearn!

View attachment 779026View attachment 297981

Breaking News Barnes Leaves Bath city, thanking them for taking him off the dole and giving him a start in management.

POSITIONS APPLIED FOR:
View attachment 779062View attachment 297973View attachment 779068

Three Jobs available for serious applications. First up was Albion Rovers (1 star team, Scottish league 2), I got to the interview and I may have looked back on my time at Bath City with more importance than they did, a similar level team to Bath City so I can say I messed the interview up a little.
Preston North End (league 1) came back with a loud NO!
Brechin City (1 1/2 star team, Scottish league 1) who are slightly better than Bath in rating came at me with an interview with me intentionally looking for work they are holding all the cards, so no changed to back room staff and I need to work on my press conferences were the main targets set by the chairman I nodded like a child being told off and agreed.
Job offer a 1 year deal at Brechin City was accepted

Team, Transfers, fixtures to follow. The story will run under the same title thread as we will always be thankful to Bath City
Let me know what you think of the move guys, have I messed it up or can we make a name in Scotland and return to bigger things in another league​

Brechin City - Not the start we wanted

Brechin City Squad Overview

Looking at what i was working with not a lot of defenders so priority is a defender who can add something to the back line, Tapping seems to be the best player, easily should be at a higher level team, my last problem was the strikers all look terrible, and i would need somebody to come in who can score are we are not going to achieve anything.
The chairman is expecting a decent league position which I think is reasonable target. Looking at the league why are Hibs down here I will never know but my feeling is the top spot has their name on it already.

View attachment 297875View attachment 297873

August Results
1 Win 3 defeats 0 draws

So not the best start to the campaign, I didn't appreciate Inverness smashing us 7-0 in the last friendly, that killed confidence and going into two cup games not ideal, the first one against Forfar they destroyed us we didn't get a sniff of a chance. Surprisingly the opposite for the defeat from Stranraer we had chance after chance and no goals would go in. The sparked my last transfer deal (which we will come to). The theme continues in the league against Stranraer they got two late goals so the game was very even and at least we scored, against hibs well we got hammered despite having more possession (if you can't score when you have it tho there is no point)

AND finally a win against Dunfirmline we packed the midfield with 5 in there and scraped out a result. Finishing the month with another defeat from Ayr.

Player of the month - Josh Beattie 1 goal 1 assist in the only win (tough choice with them results)

Try and finish on a positive
Transfers
View attachment 297872View attachment 297869

The first transfer was already done by the time I got the job so welcome David Crawford a striker/winger who is not very good at all.
Liam Gordon is by my account a good defender for this level good physicals for a defender and at only 19 the ability to grow this season, his strongest part of his game is heading yet he seems to have missed two of those in the games played so far leading to goals. Maybe its his age
Darren Ramsey a good midfielder with passing and physicals and work rate being his best attributes then his strength and tackling are shocking so maybe train him up to be a attacking mid or to tackle
Ross Gilmore is a useful right back who can also operate on the left, he will be a squad player covering for others
Josh Beattie a very young left midfielder who is on loan from St.Mirren starred in the one win we did have this an assist and a goal so he's looking good
Alisdair Sutherland is a left sided player who can play on the majority of the left side of the pitch, again a utility player may break into the team depending on from.

View attachment 297868View attachment 297867

Darren Lavery the man we pin out hopes on, and the only transfer we managed to arrange with a club, coming from Berwick, he has scored goals in the league below consistently and we took a punt on him as others in the league where looking at him we jumped onto the deal and pushed it through and even though the deal says free a placed a lot of money into clauses for goals and future fee if sold.
Sammy Steward was a late addition brought to my attention by the assistant manager so I took his word for it and got him in, and he looks ok very much in the Darren Ramsey mould can't tackle for toffee but good mental stats so he may have the mentality to be a good player.

Let me know what you think of the transfers, is there any hope in what we have signed​

View attachment 779349

September Results
1 Win 2 Draws 1 Defeat

In the grand scale of things I think this is not a bad month, so happy to win as I was almost thinking that I could be facing the sack soon but I'm still in a secure position which is nice from the chairman.
As the previous post eluded to we keep a lot of possession but are pretty **** at using it, so gone are the days of tiki taki at Brechin City and it was time for back to basics again, route one football get it into the danger zone as quick as you can to create a chance or something happen. This worked against Alloa so I think we will stick with that style and the formation is a 4-4-2 simple as it gets.

League table
View attachment 779353

So we are not even close to the top as you would imagine, Hibernian are running away with it as predicted but on closer inspection of the table it is very tight after that, not a lot of points separating the rest which being in 9th position does give a glimmer of hope.

Player of the Month - Paul Mcclean 2 goals from Centre back with staring role in our only win

Transfer deadline day
New additions to the squad with the deadline coming ever closed the scouting team and assistant really stepped up the players they were bringing to my attention.
View attachment 779356View attachment 779359

Kevin Walker was the first one to pop up and we offered him a trail as I could only see some of his attributes but he looked good and rather than take a risk on the last day with panic buy he agreed to pop along to our facilities and train and looking at his attributes I could have taken the gamble he is massively better than the previous two goal keepers.

View attachment 779367View attachment 779374

McDougall was another one from the scouting team and as soon as I seen the attributes he did have, we went for it no messing about, he has pace can dribble and sort of cross and I was looking for more creativity going forward he fitted the bill, I thought they have done well with Walker and he could be pinched by others so act quickly, we then needed a defender as one who was standing in was a right back and this could have been a factor in our poor early season form so Stirling kindly loaned us Johnston who by the look of him maybe should be playing at a higher level, well he has the right attributes for a centre back.

View attachment 779377

Last but not least The Og (Rob Ogleby) I can hear the chants around the ground now -
Og Og Og Og Og! He has tones of pace to burn and in this league he should be breezing past defender and scoring goal but one problem with that is he can't finish, 9 finishing and composure do not match his exciting pace. But with our new long ball system I'm hoping he can latch onto the majority of the stray passes and make them into something up top, maybe he would make a good winger only time will tell on how to train this guy.

Onwards and upwards with Brechin City its still early in our time in Scotland, we could do with winning a few more games. let me know what you think of the story so far. If I'm doing **** let me know too

October/November/December - Finally coming into our own- Brechin City

View attachment 297628

October results
1 Win 2 Defeats 1 Draw

Not a good month in terms of results in the league and sitting near the bottom of the league is not helping team morale get any better, Stenhousemuir was a tough result to take with the Og showing what he is all about attacking a long ball over the top like the road runner and going round the keeper, maybe I can train him never to shoot and always go round the keeper. They got a late goal in the 84th minute, this a game we could have had a nice draw from. The Hibernian result was just to keep the score as low as possible and 4-0 after seeing them turn over everyone in the league was a typical result. Now onto Stranraer I HATE them, they play a very physical game which is how they want to play but they kick the **** out of all my players we lost two in this game with injuries, keeping one out for a month and the other a week. They play the worst football I've ever seen and to top it off we can't beat them despite playing better than them.
Maybe my hatred stems from the start I endured in Scotland against them, but I really hope we beat them next time! An expected win against Clachnacuddin (what a name) a close game but glad we won it, maybe a little momentum for next game.
After the Hibernian game we are dead last at the bottom of the league 10th

Player of the month - For the first time I'm not picking one sorry lads! (sort it out!)

View attachment 297623

November Results
2 Wins 2 Defeats 1 Draw

A good month in comparison to October only 1 defeat in the league against Dunfermline, they are a likely winner of the play-offs at the moment and a very strong team, we had no real chances of note in the game.
Good win against Ayr who we previously lost against, Ryan Ferguson stepped up his game and has started to fly down the left wing, creating a good amount of chances and grabbing a goal himself. Andy Jackson scoring the other in this game, and the goal against Forfar, he's a composed finisher but lacks the physicals overall in his game. Forfar did have a man sent off late on but we just couldn't put the ball over the line. Following on to this nice bit of form, an away win at Airdrie going 1-0 down I demanded more from the team and Ferguson delivered with a outrageous strike from 35 yards. He later in the game lays on the final goal for Steven Jackson a delightful glancing header.
Finishing November an exciting tie away against Hamilton a Premiership side, the lads gave good account but they were too good for us on the day.
After getting two wins in this month we have moved up to 8th in the league so onwards and upwards

Player of the month - Ryan Ferguson 2 Goals 1 Assist - 5 games

View attachment 297622

December Results
2 Wins 1 Defeat 1 Draw

Good month could have been so much more with a sour finish to the year. A draw against Stenhousmuir maybe this shows the progress we have been taking to draw against a team we previously lost to. Doing better than previous results sets the team and myself small targets in the season. Back to back wins against Alloa and East Fife, the star of both games without a doubt was Steven McDougall from right wing grabbing a goal in each game and showing desire and pace joining attacks. With him on the right and Ferguson on the left we are climbing the league slowly and maybe just maybe might end up with a play-off spot of our own. Always optimistic.

To end the month you will see that my hatred for Stranraer will have no doubt of increased and yes it has! Playing 3 away games on the bounce never easy but why is it Stranraer!, 4-3 this time a end to end game saw Darren Lavery bag a hat-trick and not win the game, clearly the attack are getting into shape but defensively we need to sharpen up!
After picking up another 7 points we moved into 6th in the table playing better football I can feel the team is coming together

Player of the month - Steven McDougall 2 Goals 4 Games

Let me know what you think guys, positive results are just around the corner I can feel a bit of momentum coming into our play.

Last edited:
January/February/March Results - Turn up for the books Brechin City

View attachment 297289

January Results
4 Wins 1 Defeat 0 Draws

Hibernian's first defeat of the season comes at the hands of the mighty Brechin City! 1-0 then 2-0 2-1 2-2 3-2 then a sending off for them in the 60th minute. This hands the game to us when we are already winning and matching them all over then pitch, Ross Wallace see's red for them and down to 9 men for the last 10 minutes we then win the game with another goal, Darren Lavery sealing an emphatic win!
This no doubt gives the team a huge boots for the rest of the month as we pick up 3 more wins with only suffering defeat at Dunfermline a sickening 90th minute goal, it could have been an immense unbeaten month. But finished off nicely with good wins at both Forfar and Alloa.
After the results in Jan we are 5th in the league, one more place for the play-offs

Player of the month - Darren Lavery - 4 Goals 5 Games

View attachment 297288

February Results
2 Wins 0 Defeats 2 Draws

A content month see's us get an unbeaten run going with 6 game unbeaten. Destroyed Airdrie at home 4-0 with summer signing Sammy Stewart nailing down his position in the midfield making us tick over and grabbing himself two goals, one a penalty confidently smashed into the roof of the net. The 3-3 draw with Stenhousemuir was disappointing we should have seen the game out but conceded yet another late goal this time in the 87th minute after being 3-1 up at half time..... I was a very angry manager. 0-0 against East fife a game we could and should have won. BUT the end of the month finished off with the best win the team could have delivered 2-1 at home to my nemesis this season Stranraer. I knew we could do it all this time I knew we should have had the better of them, a 900 strong ground at Glebe Park saw a own goal put us 1-0 up only for them to strike back 1-1, Lavery gets hacked down in the box and finally their tough tackling play comes back to bite them as Sammy Stewart steps up and tucks it away
February results and we are 4th in the league, no chance of winning it but getting higher in the table is nice

Player of the month - Sammy Stewart 3 Goals 4 Games
rarely putting a foot wrong the model professional breaking up play and laying on chances, as well as our penalty master

View attachment 297283

March Results
0 Wins 1 Defeat 2 Draws

Poor results in March, Hibernian already winning the league could have had a factor in the 0-0 draw with them, we had some great chances in the game but it wasn't to be back to back wins against them, Dunfermline was a ok result at the time they are above us in the league and are getting a comfortable position in the play-offs it was nice to see that we could match them though, as we may have to play them in the play-offs, if we can secure the last position that is. Ending with Forfar who are also in with a shout of a play-off position beating us in an end to end battle they deservedly came out on top in a entertaining 4-2 defeat.
March results put us in 6th position in the league but only 2 point separating from 3rd to 6th

Player of the month - Darren Lavery 1 Goal 3 Games
Rescuing a point against Dunfermline with a 82nd minute goal

Let me know what you think of the story so far guys, Nearly 1000 views which is nice, feel free to comment/tips

Last edited:
End of season Push - Brechin City

View attachment 297039

April Results
3 Wins 1 Defeat 1 Draw

Coming into these fixture I noticed I could grab a player from the Loan market to see us over the line if needed and I took a punt on a Youngster from Falkirk, Gary Wood. Maybe he just wanted some first team football this season but he is very good for his age and looks like he could develop really well.

View attachment 297037
His pace, determination, flair, and dribbling really underline his qualities. (More from him later)

A great month to finish off the season I was worried going into it that our lack of fire power would let us down come the final push, that wasn't the case with a massive win against a relegation threatened Alloa side, Gary Wood opening the scoring in this one, this really put us in a position to relax a little bit more. Maybe too relaxed as the result against Stenhourmuir was a negative point and that was meaning in the last game we needed to better results at Forfar and Stenhousmuir. A late penalty winner from Darren Lavery against East fife sealed the deal and finishing 3rd was a nice achievement in itself this season but that also put us in a position to be in the play-offs.

View attachment 297035
League Table Final Positions

PLAY OFF DRAW - Brechin City vs Dunfermline, Forfar vs Morton

View attachment 781299vsView attachment 297034
View attachment 297033

Team Line Ups

View attachment 297032View attachment 297031

Favorites for the first leg, we started with that in mind with Sammy Stewart a midfield machine this season having a few long distance shots at goal testing the confidence of the Dunfirmline Keeper. Following on from this accurate passing and moving, we are creating chances but not clinical in front of goal. Dunfirmline have no response to this yet grab the first goal with a long ball over the top a missed header lets in Allan Smith and he scores a easy goal. Sammy Stewart has the crowd out of their seat on 38 minutes with a glorious chance one on one to score and fluffs it wide. More precise passing from us as we put together another move and yet again fail to score. HT
Bold decisions made at HT with Lavery our top scorer this season with 18 not finishing any of the chances he was given in the first half........ it was time to introduce the world to GARY WOOD.

No instant impact was generated but we did start the second half the same as we started the first dominating the possession and creating chance after chance. A rare mistake by Walker as Moffat strikes one, hit and hope style from about 45 yards and it goes past the keeper with ease. 2-0 down and we can only change our own luck from now on to get back into the tie. It looks dead and buried. With an angry scream from the sidelines the lads know its time to sort it out and a real good player for us this season steps up, Steven McDougall with the instant reply puts us back in the game and Glebe park rocking.
The dream fades and the crowd go quiet as El Bakhtaoui scores 3-1 no hope really
BUT...........
Gary Wood then latches onto a confident pass and manages to wriggle the ball into the far corner with a deft finish on 73 minutes, 7 minutes later and Stewart is at it again a shot from far testing the keeper, hits the bar this time and Wood the first to react with his acceleration puts it past the keeper. How is this possible to be out of the tie 3-1 then in the space of 7 freaky minutes I'm telling the team to defend and keep it tight. Gary Wood is having none of the that and thankfully so ignores all that I say to fly through the middle of the pitch on 85 minutes latching onto the ball and tucking it away an amazing Hat-trick has emerged from nowhere. 4-3 up Walker despite having a really bad game comes good at the end and saves a one on one chance from Dunfirmline goes begging.

Player of the match - Gary Wood 3 goals - rating 9.4

View attachment 297021

lets get to 1000 views before the 2nd leg, let me know what you think of Gary Wood should he start the 2nd leg. any comments welcome​

Last edited: