From the Dole to the Top! - Thank you Bath City

Oldham Athletic End of Season Review

View attachment 292185

End of Season Review

View attachment 292184View attachment 292183

From the tables you can see how everyone was predicted in the league and how we all finished. Obviously promotion was not even thought of as a target for us so that will be the biggest shock. The other shock for me was Watford who had a terrible season even with Deeney (who did move in Jan) Delph, Forestieri, Rossiter (on Loan) Spearing to name a few.
Rochdale another team who had a good season and Coventry not the best performance and relegated to league 2.

View attachment 292173

The squad shows we really took advantage of the loan market and our affiliated clubs and with promotion that could be a key factor next season. Some City and Newcastle player didn't make the move due to the club wanting them to play at a higher level so still some players we could exploit.

View attachment 292156

Most Appearances - Brad Jones found his level and kept 15 clean sheets.
Most Assists - Craig Tanner (13)
Most Goals - Craig Tanner (25)
Highest Average Rating - Adam Armstrong 7.40

Although Armstrong got the best average rating he only started 14 games and there was one more player who was epic all season in consistency, improved, leader and was better than I thought he would be.
That player was Joe Walsh averaged 7.28 in 46 games.

View attachment 292158

Team of the Year SkyBet League 1

View attachment 292137

Managers Player of the Year - Craig Tanner

Really tough choice between Tanner and Walsh but I went for Tanner for his goal/assists for the team. The fact he was a free transfer at the start of the season I would not have imagined how good he would be and how good the season would turn out.

The legends list is expanded once again - I think both Craig Tanner and Joe Walsh deserve to join Ross Stearn (Bath City), Gary Wood (Brechin City) and Sammy Stewart (Brechin City) in the legends team

Moving into the next season should we stay at Oldham Athletic or consider moving if the offers are there. I think I might weigh up both paths playing slowly through the end of the season looking at what managers are moving and what jobs are available.​

Last edited:
Potential Jobs

View attachment 291801
Playing on a few interesting jobs are up for at least putting a application in for.

View attachment 291800

The most interesting job is Swansea, just being relegated from the Premiership I have a feeling that putting a application in here would result in them laughing out loud and burning it. Could be an option to look at?

Ultimately I decided to pass on the Swansea application, but then another job came up due to come manager movement and that was Reading

View attachment 793944

But after such a good season last season I decided to stay on at Oldham and try and build something next season in the championship.

Main aim to avoid relegation but with the right signing I wouldn't put it past us achieving more.

Last edited:
Championship Transfers - Injuries!

View attachment 290997

Transfer Update

With a lot of players I deemed not good enough for the championship getting let go we were left with around 10 first team players starting the next season.

View attachment 795987
View attachment 290996

So the first couple of transfers were two free transfers from Liverpool and I knew they would fit into the system we could continue to play in the championship.

View attachment 290995View attachment 290994

First Sheyi Ojo who will be a first team regular along side Thompson, I'm looking for him to play a Roaming playmaker role and allow Thompson to do most of the defensive duties. Ojo has really good attributes all over and I think at 21 he can develop into a good midfielder.
McLaughlin coming in as Dylan Rees would not be allowed to return on loan from Cardiff but with similar attributes I would be expecting him to do well at this level. Ryan has good technical but maybe lacking in physicals for a full back.

View attachment 290993View attachment 290992

With wingers being the next most important feature of the way we play I needed to get some pace in and Rolando Aarons another free from Newcastle has bags of pace, not technically great but if he can beat his man and cross a ball in I will be a happy manager.
Kenneth McEvoy is technically better but with less pace but I needed another winger one who could be used on either side of the pitch. At 23 he his looking for a good few season now or never going to make it really.

View attachment 290991View attachment 290990

With not much movement in terms of funds my next options was to abuse the Loan system. I recommend it to anyone who is looking to get some quality in. That quality is Henry Ajala an attacking midfielder who with them stats could take the championship by storm but he will be behind Tanner at the start of the season, with so much expected from Tanner it will be nice to have this young gun pushing him all the way.
I was struggling massively to find a good striker to come in and Armstrong was not too happy to return (he did) so i went for James Dyer not sure why Swansea allowed him out on loan to a league rival but I don't care because he looks very good finishing, Determined and a leader at such a young age.

View attachment 290989View attachment 290988

Donnelly comes in on loan from Celtic i came across him by luck i was after a Chelsea player on loan that scored bags of goals for Middlesbrough in the Championship in the end he went to Celtic, I decided to scout them and Donnelly came up, in the same mould as Dyer.
We all know what Armstrong is about finally he was made available for loan again and I jumped at the chance to bring him back.

View attachment 290987View attachment 290986
I had a bit of a realisation that we are massively short at the back so I acted quick and managed to bring in Lewis Thomas. Great defensive attributes another one from Swansea they are letting some good players go out on loan, I just hope they don't become world beaters and forget what Oldham did for them.
And my most exciting loanee Jordan Rossiter I'm sure everyone has heard of this guy but he looks like he is developing nicely on this game and can push for a starting place with Thompson.

Season Prediction

View attachment 290985View attachment 290984

2000-1 for the league and predicted to finish rock bottom and we have the lowest salary per annum so avoiding relegation is the main aim this season.

The season really came at the wrong time with 8 injuries to the first we are down to the bones.
Elokobi
N'diaye
Mclaughlin
Ojo
Thompson
Bailey
Aarons
Mcevoy
All out for the start of the season

View attachment 290983

August Results

4 Wins 2 Defeats 0 Draws

Starting the season injury hit I was not hoping for anything from Leicester game, we put up a good fight but with so many new players I feared for the worst. Scunthorpe in the cup and I felt this was a good game to get a win and a bit of momentum for the team and ultimately that paid off as we went in with our strongest possible team, Michael Donnelly (2) and Poleon getting the goal and season started. Sheff Wed got the full potential of what we are about with pace all over the pitch breaking and taking our chances well. Dyer, Tanner, Poleon and Jack Ryan finishing off a fantastic win but Dyer did suffer injury in this game to add to our growing list.
Leeds got similar treatment with a nice 3-1 win Poleon, Rossiter and Armstrong with the goals but this game was a real eye opener for how good Rossiter is, he dominated the midfield for us. A tough tired team went to Charlton and I actually thought this would be the game we would lose as we had no fitness in the team it was a make shift defence. Jordan Rossiter with a stunning striker I can only liken it to a Steven Gerrard effort from outside the box.
Cardiff in the cup and we just kept on going at them eventually suffering from fitness issues and getting another two injuries didn't help the game plan. Michael Donnelly (2) another couple for him in the cup and Kenneth McEvoy getting off the mark.

Player of the month - Dominic Poleon 3 Goals 6 Games

View attachment 290981

With 4 wins and 1 defeat we are nicely positioned in 5th, I am more than happy with that start with what injuries we have had.

Last transfer update is a youngster is coming in from Argentina called Matais Correa no point in the screen shot as I have signed him based on the quality of team that had interest in him (Barcelona to name one) I instantly offered him an amazing deal. Punt of the century, he will be arriving in Jan so keep an eye out for him.

Let me know what you think of the transfers and start of the season guys any comments welcome and keep the views coming.

Last edited:
September/October - Oldham Athletic

View attachment 290287

View attachment 290286

September Results
1 Win 1 Defeat 3 Draws

After the great start we had I was expecting more but in the overall picture picking up 6 points is not that bad considering we are predicted to finish bottom.
A good draw against relegated Fulham is a massive result and shows we are competitive a this level, Angelino with the Pen early in the first half.
2-2 against Ipswich Henry Ajala getting a goal and a very late Craig Tanner penalty at 90+1 get us another point on the board, another draw follows 0-0 against Wolves. Blackburn up next and a unlucky 3-2 defeat Armstrong and Angelino with the goals. Pozo for them was the main difference his finishing was sublime and our defence couldn't handle him.
Finishing the month strong with a 2-0 win against Bournemouth Michael Donnelly (2) sealing the win. Is it a good thing or a bad thing that my goals are coming from all over the pitch but my strikers are in and out of scoring form.

View attachment 290284
At the end of September we are in 6th place 8 points away from the relegation zone, and just hanging onto a play off position.

Player of the month - Angelino 2 Goals 5 Games
I forgot to mention that Angelino was signed on loan again at the back end of last season

View attachment 290285

October Results
1 Win 2 Defeats 2 Draws

Disappointing month we should have got one more win on the board with slightly easier teams in the league as opposition. Bristol City and Reading both beat us 2-0 to send the confidence down within the team. We bounced back after those two defeats to get 3 much needed points against Wigan and what a win it was, 2-0 down at half time I give the team the hair dryer treatment and made the classic treble substitution. It paid off as Sub Craig Tanner (1) finally found some form this season and inspired the come back alongside Henry Ajala (2).
Back to the bore draws and Birmingham was a poor game and 0-0 was just however against Peterborough Ojo got send off so we had to play the majority of the game with 10 men and battled well but not real clear cut chances coming our way.

Player of the Month - Tanner 1 Goal 5 Games
Inspiring a much needed fight back from the team

View attachment 290281

November Results
1 Win 2 Defeats 1 Draw

First up West Ham, when i looked at their team I thought FM was having a joke with me. They have assembled the most impressive Championship team I've seen - Reina ex liverpool/Bayern GK! Trippier, Ayala, Noble, Remy, Valencia, Peisic, Kalou, Adrian, Zarate, Ried, Carroll and strange of all Matic! safe to say I wasn't expecting too much from this game, we played ok but nothing to merit a win. Worst result this season 4-0 Millwall who are not a good team in this league but outplayed us massively on the day. But in true Oldham spirit we seem to bounce back after a few defeat and get a win, Armstrong, Tanner and Donnelly sealing the win before half time.
1-1 against Swansea who are a strong team having just been relegated they have Pardew in charge now, we were without a few loan players from them and Thompson saw red on 51 minutes too and that made the draw and point that much better. Gerard Reilly with the goal he is a player I got on a free last season from Ireland and he is developing well and has the potential to be a good Championship player.

Player of the Month - Gerard Reilly for his 1 goal and impressive midfield performance against Swansea

View attachment 290280

After 18 games we are in a mid table position and I would have taken that at the start of the season and the season can still go two ways, one we push on up the table or we stagnate and slowly drop down the table into a relegation battle. With Jan coming in a couple of months I'm hoping that our Argie defender adds some steal and maybe I can move a couple of players around.

Any comments welcome, let me know what you think of the season so far and keep the views coming.

Last edited:
December/January Turn of the year - Oldham Athletic

View attachment 290161

View attachment 290156

December Results
1 Win 4 Defeats 1 Draw

Shocking month of results if we continue with this form the season is going to turn very downward. Kicking off with 1-0 defeat from Derby and even worse 3-0 from Sunderland but as a recurring theme to the season after playing shocking for two games we normally bounce back with a win and this time a 5-2 win over Rotherham, McEvoy (2) finally showing the Oldham fans what he can do after they started to get on his back, Angelino, Donnelly and Tanner completing the goal count.
A hard fought draw with Middlesbrough followed Tanner with a early penalty was only joined by very late equalizer from Middlesbrough. Boxing day defeat from Brentford 2-1 Tanner with the goal for us completed with another meeting with Middlesbrough this time we had no answers for their play and suffered a 3-0 defeat.

Player of the month - Craig Tanner 3 Goals 5 Games

View attachment 290152

January Results
4 Wins 1 Defeat 0 Draws

Massive turnaround from the previous month, Leicester City 2-0 Brad Jones picking up another clean sheet, surprising he has had up and down form this season and at times been fault for goals on his own but he does seem to turn up every so often and get a clean sheet. Armstrong getting both goals both unreal finishes from the youngster.
The only defeat we suffered was very disappointing to be knocked out of the FA cup to Rotherham a team who I would consider us to be better than. They grabbed a tight 1-0 win.
Sheff Wed was the best ive seen this newly established team play this season 4-1 with Donnelly, Tanner and Ajala (2) getting the goal. Ajala has really became a strong player for us this season he has a knack of picking the ball up deep im midfield and running it right through the middle of the pitch at the defenders, every time he does it I think something is going to happen.
Two more wins followed firstly Leeds 2-1 Tanner and Walsh on target next was 1-0 over Charlton to finish a much needed run of results, Donnelly getting another for the his tally this season.

Player of the Month - Henry Ajala 2 Goals 5 Games
Setting up and creating many attacks for the team to build from.

View attachment 290141
This table is ahead by 1 game but still in mid table and 8 points from play-offs an outside chance of putting another mini run together and pushing for the last place

Transfer News

As far as movement in the window we let James Dyer go back to Swansea he was a good player but not fitting into the team and not playing enough football. In terms of transfers in I had already got a few African players coming in on a punt they can be given very cheap contracts and sometimes you will find a few good ones come out of it. But the main news in the window was the arrival of Matias Correa the Argentine defender from Colon, who after seeing what clubs had an eye on him we jumped and offered him all we could, without being able to send a scout it was a complete lottery.

Welcome Matias!
View attachment 290147
Please click to see his attributes

I almost fell of my chair when this guy turned up I would never have imagined him to be that good at that age. 19 years old and 17 attribute for Marking, Heading, Tackling, Anticipation, Determination - 16 attribute Teamwork, Work Rate, his physicals are not the greatest but he is 19 and can grow into his physical attributes his determination alone should be enough to see him improve even playing at this level. 186 cm so he has a bit of size and 82kg he is a man mountain. I'm still in shock about the whole thing, I hope he settles nicely and shows what he can do as that will benefit the team massively.

Any comments welcome, let me know what you think of Matias

February/March - Oldham Athletic

View attachment 289717

View attachment 289716

February Results
1 Win 2 Defeats 3 Draw

An awful month this with only one win, with aspirations after the transfer window that we would push onto the end of the play-offs and latching into that race. With these results I feel Mid table is the only possibility now.
1-1 against Fulham started off the month Lewis Thomas with the early goal, Rossiter has a shocker in this game and hasn't fully hit the heights of his early form at the club. Ipswich defeat 2-1 Louis Thompson with rare goal but not good enough of a performance to get a win. Draw with Wolves McEvoy and Ajala getting the goals, Ajala's goal was very late after overloading forward after the late dismissal of Louis Thompson.
High flying Blackburn was a good performance and disappointing not to get anything from the game suffering a 1-0 defeat.
Matias Correa announces himself to the Oldham fans with a thunderous headed goal against Bournemouth a late penalty gives them a share of the spoils. Donnelly and Walsh finally deliver a win in the month against a poor Bristol City side.

Player of the Month - ?

View attachment 289701

March Results
3 Wins 1 Defeat 2 Draws

Magical March may have put us in with shout after last month any bit of hope is worth pushing for. Reading got a hammering 5-1 thanks to goals from Walsh, Poleon, Tanner (2) and Ojo every player played a part in the result with the lowest rating on the day being 7.40 it was a fantastic game and one for the fans.
Wigan brought us back down to earth with a scrappy 1-1, I'n not sure how we didn't win with chances galore but it was a late McEvoy goal getting us a draw. Birmingham 2-1 Donnelly and Rossiter getting the goals, Jordan Rossiter finally coming back into some form. Peterborough got the same fate 3-2 with Donnelly putting them to the sword getting a fantastic hat trick, after this game I have to question why Celtic would have let him go out on loan when he can clearly score goals at this level.
The freakishly strong West Ham beating us for a second time this season 2-1 Ajala with our only goal and then Millwall 2-2 should have been a win but for a late late late goal! Poleon and Ajala on target for us.

Player of the month - Michael Donnelly 3 Goals 6 Games
In a month with 8 different scorers it was a tough choice but this guys hat trick was majestic

View attachment 289670

After 40 games we are mid table in 12th 4 points from play-off positions this could happen yet, even though there is 6 teams between us and the position we would like to grab, with the current form in the last month it is a outside chance. Anything above relegation is a huge bonus for Oldham after shock promotion and predicted bottom.

Let me know what you think of the season so far guys, keep the likes and view coming.​

End of season push - Oldham Athletic

View attachment 289608

View attachment 289603
April/May Results
3 Wins 1 Defeats 2 Draw

Just a 4 point gap to close could 11 points from a possible 18 be enough to make the play offs?
A rare TV fixture for Oldham saw us disappoint the fans by just getting a 1-1 draw with Huddersfield, Super captain Joe Walsh with the goal keeps us in the hunt but is it seen as 2 points dropped. Swansea brought a needed win 1-0 Angelino chipping in with goals as he often does in the crunch of a season. Automatic promotion chasers Derby beat us in a hard fought 1-0 and with that I think the hopes of the Oldham fans died away. 6 points followed with wins against Sunderland and Rotherham. Poleon and Angelino again with vital goals against the Mackems and Tanner getting a brace against Rotherham. A final day draw against Brentford sums up the season really with too many draws and dropped points, Joe Walsh again with the goal.
The last month was all about those with the character in the team with the best performances coming from Tanner, Walsh and Angelino.

Player of the Month - Joe Walsh 2 Goals 6 Games

View attachment 289589

Final table and overall despite the last month anguish we can say that the season was a massive success finishing 14 positions above out predicted finish at the start of the season. 5 points from the play offs and even better above Swansea and Reading after considering both clubs as potential moves.

I think we need a move now and we leave Oldham strong with good finance and high potential in several players.

2nd Season Review Oldham Athletic

View attachment 288428

End of Season Review 2018/19

View attachment 288427

Ending the first season in the Championship for Oldham Athletic with an impressive 10th position, the prediction as mentioned to be rock bottom. Swansea have to be the biggest shock having just been relegated from the premiership they finish in a poor 17th, Middlesbrough did well to get 2nd and Blackburn with Jens Lehmann as manager winning the league.

View attachment 288425

Again the squad bulked out with the loan market really adding the quality to the team. With Donnelly, Ajala and Angelino bringing major contributions to the season results.

View attachment 288411

Most Appearances - Angelino (49)
Most Assist - Henry Ajala (12)
Most Goals - Michael Donnelly (15)
Highest Average Rating - Henry Ajala 7.28

Team of the year SkyBet Championship

View attachment 288385

3 Players made it into the championship team of the year. Angelino very consistent left back, chipping in with assists and goals throughtout the season, Joe Walsh very good captain and well rounded defender, Ajala was the last edition and a real key for the season and our position in the top half. Ajala has the ability to pick the ball up from deep and drive with it towards the defence.

Managers Player of the year - Henry Ajala

Moving on from Oldham at the end of the season will be tough but there has been an offer from Cardiff who are just relegated from the premiership. It's a huge job as team who are relegated often suffer in their first season in the championship but it will be an improvement in finances and facilities to work with.

Last edited:
Cardiff City Overview

View attachment 288260

The biggest challenge of my time in management, Cardiff come down to the Championship with expectation to get back to the promise land of the Premiership.
First thing is with the team being recently relegated their is a couple of housekeeping things that need sorting straight off the bat. Firstly nobody is happy to be relegated so I need to hold onto those players I feel can make an impact and agree to let those I feel surplus go to other teams, that links into the second point that Premiership wages are no good in the Championship.
The positive is that with letting players go and parachute payment the club have decent budgets and that will allow me to improve the squad and add the players I want.

View attachment 288258

The history of Cardiff shows they are a yo yo team not good enough for the Premiership but too good for the Championship, having had two promotions and relegation since the start of the game and never staying in the top division more that one season.

View attachment 288257

Predicted to finish in 3rd, ideally i would like to win the division but promotion from the division would be the main target. However you get it should not matter for the ease of the season 1st or 2nd would be best.

Signings in and out

View attachment 802932

View attachment 288254

Transfers out - Biggest out was Declan John a good left back but I felt he was not good enough for this level and was over priced worth 7 million so when 6 million offer came in I was snatching Premiership Brighton's hand off. Stancu a 30+ year old striker not needed and on a fair wage got a ok price for him at 1.8 million.
Pieters, Brown, Mason and Turner all leave for minimal prices but all I would consider too old or not good enough.

Total - 9.2 million

Transfers in - Vertonghen was a transfer already completed when I came in so that must have been struck last season for 800k I think its a good deal. With my transfers I knew I would need players that would know how I play and could bring something to the team. I had half an eye on Angelino's contract at Oldham and when the move was complete it was a no brainer, he in the team of the year at Oldham so he could step up again working with better facilities.

View attachment 288253View attachment 288252

Next in is a player I found due to my time at Oldham and the links with Manchester City, Kelechi Iheanacho. He was scoring goals galore for the Under 21's and again his contract was about to expire so I acted quick and got him in, the only problem is that he didn't manage to get a work permit somehow, even though he has been called up for Nigeria 8 times. Hopefully he will get it at the next time of asking. We joined up with Ajala again still on a loan deal no such luck with expiring contracts here, but I must add that I am one of his favoured personnel, he did have other offers from Middlesbrough but he decided working with me would be better for his development.

View attachment 288251 View attachment 288250

After finding this next players last season there was no way I could not have gone for him as soon as I could, I wanted to develop him and get him in before he shows just how good he is. Thank you Oldham for finally accepting an more than generous offer of 4 million. Matias Correa welcome to the valleys. That is the last of the players I had previously worked with but that is exactly my intention at the start of the Cardiff job get players in who know what I'm about.

The next player Hernan Vela was a complete guess again and similar to the way we found Correa, although he had team interested in him, Vela did not but I was desperate for a ball winning midfielder and I tried for N'Zonzi who wanted 64k a week (having a laugh) I am reducing the wages not increasing it. we had a loan offer for Ramires declined. Then i went to Argentina again, no scout information at all, basically I looked at his form last season in which he averaged a 7.53 rating. i thought it was worth trying for an offer, I was willing to pay around 3-4 Million and they came back with a structured deal at 5.25 million. Over paying on a punt but after the Correa success I had a feeling it was right.

View attachment 288249View attachment 288248

For those reading the transfers thinking I managed to find two gems with ease that is not the case I gambled on two other players this season and although they are not the worst players they are not up to the standard but worth going for as they both game in on a free transfer.

View attachment 288246View attachment 288245

Squad Overview

View attachment 288244

The players that we managed to keep hold of and had some minor interest but no real offers and needed to have conversation with them to say 'your not leaving'. Scott Sinclair, Andros Townsend, Gnabry, Fabio and Gunnerson. Sinclair and Townsend I was not so much concearned with I think that wingers can be found or changed formation. The main players I wanted to keep was Deeney as I think he can score at this level and Gunnerson who is the captain and a very complete midfield man, the squad is suffering from a few injuries at the start of the season but with the new addition and the players we already know what they can do I think we should be there or there about come the trophy handing out ceremony.

Any comments welcome and keep the view coming. Over 4,000 now which is awesome!

A fine start - Cardiff City

View attachment 287713

A last minute deal on transfer deadline day, a loan move for a very good left winger from Chelsea, we really didn't need him that much but i wanted some extra competition for Sinclair and Townsend.

View attachment 287708

Some very good attributes, he can play all on the left most likely been trained as a left wing back/left back and that has left him with 16 Marking but not the tackling ability, that why he would be better playing higher up the pitch.

View attachment 287705

August Results
4 Wins 1 Defeats 1 Draw

A confident start to the season picking up some nice wins both in the league and in the cup. I always look to win the first game of the season more than any other as I think it sets up the season for the team. A very eventful first game of the season against Leeds, a 3-2 win and 3 points. Townsend getting 2 goals and Matias Correa making a name for himself amongst the Bluebirds fans. Another 3-2 but this time defeat by Bournemouth, very shocked that we could't back up our first game of the season win. 2-0 up at half time was quickly turned around after Correa got himself got sent off. So after a great start and a goal now a sending off costing us the game. Angelino and Troy Deeney getting of the mark for the season.
Cup game against Stevenage and a game to put a few other players in and get some confidence in what we are trying to achieve. A nice 5-1 win Townsend, Deeney (2), Ajala and Sinclair getting the goals.
After the goals flowing in the last game I expected the same against Exeter, but a boring 0-0 was all that could be managed. Birmingham in the Cup and in the League, Cup result 2-0 and in the 3rd round Deeney getting the first goal and then a late sub appearance from a recently injured Johnny Russell getting the second with a deft finish.
League game and another good performance 3-0 a good clean sheet and the same goal scorers Deeney getting the first then an own goal and another goal from super sub Russell. He played around 25-30 mins in two games against Birmingham and got 2 goals.

View attachment 287700
After 5 game we sit in 9th not a bad start overall

Player of the month - Troy Deeney 5 Goals 6 Games

View attachment 287699

September Results
3 Wins 1 Defeat 2 Draws

Return to Oldham emotional game and a hard fought 1-1 with them really up for the fight, I was happy with a share of the points, Tanner getting the goal for Oldham with Fabio scoring a penalty for us.
Back to winning way with a convincing 3-1 win over Bristol City, Deeney (2) and Sinclair getting the goals. Two 2-0 wins against Reading and Huddersfield Townsend and Deeney who has been on fire so far this season getting the goals against Reading. Vertonghan and Russell chipping in and securing a win against Huddersfield.
An expected defeat against Arsenal in the cup, an easier draw would have been nice to put a cup run together, Sinclair with the goal in first minute but ultimately their class shone on the day.
0-0 against a very poor Wycombe was disappointing and Correa getting his 2nd red of the season is becoming a slight concern but I'll put it down to inexperience and see how he gets on in the next month or so.

View attachment 287690

After 9 game we have moved up into 2nd with some very good teams getting into the race for promotion (Leicester, QPR, Ipswich)

Player of the month - David Marshall 3 Clean Sheets

Any Cardiff fan - Should I stick with next season's club badge or put in the current badge? Any comments welcome.​

Till the end of the year - Cardiff City

View attachment 287011

View attachment 287007

October Results
3 Wins 0 Defeats 2 Draws

Excellent unbeaten month. Wolves 3-0 Deeney with a sublime hat trick in the space of 13 first half minutes, just majestic and the best football we have played so far.
Sheff Wed 2-2 draw not a great results but still a fair one on the day, Deeney once again and Wolff Eikrem getting a goal after not playing too much football nice to see all the squad chipping in and pushing for a starting place.
1-0 Win over Brentford Russell getting a rare start with Deeney in great form its been hard to get Russell game time but he has scored when called upon.
Top of the table class with QPR one of the better teams in the league and a fair 1-1 draw Andros Townsend getting the goal and increasing the interest in his signature.

THE WELSH DERBY
Swansea city got the beating the fans desired 3-0 win at home.

View attachment 286999

Leading the line for Swansea a 34 year old Wayne Rooney. After the game with Ajala getting the man of the match it was stated that he is dubbed non other than the next Paul Gascoigne!

View attachment 286998

A special way to finish of a good month and see us go top of the Championship

Player of the month - Henry Ajala (Gazza) for his performance against Swansea

View attachment 286978

November Results
2 Wins 2 Defeats 1 Draw

A run of really tough games stretching back to the QPR game, then Swansea. Leicester first in November close game 1-0 win and a goal from the Chelsea loanee Luis Araujo.
First defeat in a decent stretch of games against Ipswich 1-2 we played terrible and deserved the defeat Dylan Rees getting the goal. It seems that the goals from Deeney have dried up after a great start from him. Another defeat followed Derby 2-3 Russell and Araujo getting the goals but not enough for the win.
A much needed win against Sunderland 2-1 Gunnarsson and Correa with the goals but again no goals from strikers or attacking wingers. Ajala getting a injury about out for a month.
Fulham 0-0 to be honest I was happy with that result with Roberts, Woodrow and James Wilson in attack I was fearing for our defence.

Player of the month - Matias Correa 1 Goal and starting performances in both wins

View attachment 286955

December Results
2 Wins 1 Defeat 2 Draws

Dropping off the pace at the top with more dropped points.
Millwall 0-0 disappointing with our attacking play followed by another draw 1-1 against Peterborough Scott Sinclair with the goal. Two games we should have won, but back to winning ways against Barnsley 3-2 Gunnarsson, Sinclair and finally Deeney back in the goals hopefully another run of form.
West Brom 1-2 defeat Deeney with the goal and in winning position for Vertonghen to then get sent off. Another win against Barnsley 1-0 Correa with another vital goal, his physicals are starting to match his impressive defensive attributes.

Player of the month - Troy Deeney for getting back in the goals, 2 in the month.

View attachment 286947

At the half way stage of the season we are dropping off the pace at the top the gap now 9 points and with interest in a few players I would like to do something in Jan, the chairman has pumped in 9 million to cover our FFP for the season. We have money in the bank but are losing some at the same time so I would like to sell a couple of players to help the situation. 9 points is not that big of a gap but I wouldn't like it to get any bigger if I want to be in with a chance of the league title. Iheanacho hasn't been granted his work permit despite another two caps for Nigeria, I will be looking for more fire power in the window.​

Jan Transfer update - late deals

View attachment 286136

Transfer Update

View attachment 286132 View attachment 286130

With Deeney and Russell our only strikers due to Iheanacho's problem with work permit (who has gone on loan to Mallorca) my aim in the window was to add another striker and in came a very good youngster from Chelsea, they seem to have a generation of good players in their reserves. Ian Redshaw is a player that I tried to get whilst at Oldham after he scored a few goal in the Championship for Middlesbrough. The next player to come in was a result of some movement on the final day in the final hours of the window. I knew we needed some money into the club just to see us safe for the rest of the season and balance the books a little. I was hoping to be swatting away transfer offers for players but no movement, so I offered out Townsend.
I felt I could get a replacement on loan and not miss him too much as others could cover him. He was also one of the more valuable players at my disposal.
Fenerbahce was the only club to come with an offer and it was a structures deal with many add ons for league appearances going up to 7.75 million with the potential for it to hit 9 million if Townsend get some international games.
With Townsend out I shot a loan deal at Genoa for Manuel De Lucis, blessed with pace and good technical's, he can do a job for us until the end of the season.

View attachment 286127View attachment 286126

View attachment 286125

January Results
5 Wins 0 Defeats 1 Draw

Great results after the turn of the year. Starting with 2-0 over Leeds Theophile-Catherine and Deeney with the goals.
Northampton in the cup Araujo and Deeney getting another goal and finding his shooting boots again, from the season so far Deeney can score goals but he does it in decent spells of form but when they dry up nobody else can get a couple in to see us through.
Another 2-0 this time Bournemouth Sinclair and Redshaw getting the goals, nice to see Redshaw get a goal early in his loan with us.
Oldham put up another good fight and have give us some of the hardest couple of games this season, but nice to get the win 2-1 Troy Deeney getting a brace.
Only dropped points this month against a very poor Exeter side, should have won the game really sinclair missing a penalty, I really hope we don't miss out on the title or promotion by a couple of points.
Another cup win this time Mansfield 2-1 a rotated team managed to get the win with Hyam and Wolff Eirkrem getting the goals to put us into the 5th round draw.

Player of the Month - Troy Deeney 4 Goals in 6 Games

View attachment 286100

February Results
3 Wins 2 Defeats 3 Draws

A huge amount of fixtures rammed into February, I think the fixture congestion may have impacted on the form.
Birmingham 2-0 continued our form, Deeney and De Lucis getting the goals another impact goal from a player on loan.
Two draws follow 2-2 Bristol City Fabio and Wolff Eirkrem and 0-0 Reading. Man City in the cup the draw could have been a little kinder and so could have the result, started in dramatic fashion with Deeney opening the scoring, we were quicklu pegged back and then Correa collected another red card, that turned the game and they walked the ball into the net when they fancied.
Huddersfield defeat 1-0 followed I think the city game impacting on our morale and fitness. Back to winning ways with a epic 4-2 win over Wycombe Deeney (2) Russell and Gunnarsson with what could be goal of the season and magic striker from 25-30 yards smashing into the top corner.
Another draw 2-2 with Wolves Angelino with a trademark free kick and a OG giving us a slice of the points.
Finishing the month with a win against Sheff Wed 2-1 Vertonghen and Deeney with the goals.

View attachment 286083

2nd in the league after Jan QPR however have two games in hand, we scored a fair amount of goals not the best in the league but we seem not to concede too many. The main problem is we are drawing too many games and that could be a factor in the shake up at the end of the season.

Player of the month - Jan Vertonghen 1 Goal but defensively a rock and a real reason we have conceded so few goals

Any comments welcome, can we push for the title and add to a growing CV and finally reach the top division in England​