Gerard Houllier to leave Aston Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 10K

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
Aston Villa will confirm this week that Gerard Houllier is to stand down as manager because of health reasons. It is understood that the Frenchman’s final medical reports revealed that a return to management would put his health at too great a risk.

Houllier, who only took over in September, missed the end of the season because of health problems and is set to leave by mutual consent.

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy said: "The decision will be in the interests of Aston Villa, not Houllier.

"The delay may be over severance pay. Houllier still has two years left on a contract worth more than £2m a year."

Murphy added: "Houllier and his management team have remained bullish about his prospects of returning to work but a final round of medical tests late last week would have taken the decision out of Houllier's hands."

Medical test results have been studied by the club's owner Randy Lerner and medical staff. Houllier missed the final month of last season because of his heart problems.

Caretaker manager Gary McAllister had been convinced the Frenchman would return to his post and the 63-year-old has played his part in drawing up Villa's plans for next season.

It is understood Villa officials are concerned a return to the dugout for Houllier could cause further health problems and may not, therefore, be fair to him or the club.

He has struggled to win over the Villa fans despite them moving away from the relegation zone and finishing ninth in the Premier League.

Villa have already been linked with Everton manager David Moyes, Fulham boss Mark Hughes and former England coach Steve McClaren as possible successors should Houllier's reign be at an end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources here.

I do like him as a man, and our final position was actually pretty good, but football is not something worth risking your life for. All the best in retirement Ged.

Last edited:
Been coming for a while tbh. He should retire for his own safety..

Moyes to replace him anyone?

im a united fan and i dont understand why villa fans hate houllier even tho u ended up in 9th

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

@DMF i dont think moyes will leave everton unless he gets annoyed with the owners

Been coming for a while tbh. He should retire for his own safety..

Moyes to replace him anyone?

Take him any day, but a bit of a sideways move for him. Don't see it happening.

im a united fan and i dont understand why villa fans hate houllier even tho u ended up in 9th

We don't hate him. We think he's a sub-par manager. Our best performances of the season came when he wasn't in charge. Couple that with the City cup and Liverpool away debacles, and he wasn't the right man for the job.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Carlo Anccelotti??

I would take him any day.

Yes 9th is quite good considering the amount of injuries he had to contend with. What about Rijkaard? I think he is still available.

Goodbye Houllier,he is good manager,just some player didn't show their best performance this season
i believe,if all Villa player show their best they can finish in 8 or higher position
ps:Moyes everybody?

Why would Moyes switch to Aston Villa? Not that Villa's a bad team at all, but it wouldn't make sense to switch to a team that's equally good as the one you are already in, especially after doing so much for Everton

Ged ;( There goes our hope of having a feeder club in Premier League...
Moyes/Mourinho/Hughton?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Why would Moyes switch to Aston Villa? Not that Villa's a bad team at all, but it wouldn't make sense to switch to a team that's equally good as the one you are already in, especially after doing so much for Everton

Because he's done all he can with Everton, they've got no money, a pretty average squad compared to Villa's. Villa have more money, ambition, similar-ish stadium and fan base. I mean, Darren Bent vs Jermaine Beckford...

Ged ;( There goes our hope of having a feeder club in Premier League...
Moyes/Mourinho/Hughton?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Because he's done all he can with Everton, they've got no money, a pretty average squad compared to Villa's. Villa have more money, ambition, similar-ish stadium and fan base. I mean, Darren Bent vs Jermaine Beckford...
I think the squads are fairly even. As pointed out on the league table.

no offence to u villa fans but ur a club in decline so i wudnt get ur hopes up on these quality managers ur suggesting

no offence to u villa fans but ur a club in decline so i wudnt get ur hopes up on these quality managers ur suggesting

would beg to differ with that. They have great young players such as Delph (nicked off us!), Albrighton (Godcubed's idol ;) ) and Bannan just to name a few that I know of. Im sure Godcubed could give you a better list. I would say the future is bright for villa, if they can keep those young players then great for them but if not then they can get a good price for them and invest in the team

Offence taken. We're no more a club in decline than Liverpool is. We've had a bad year, granted, but we'll be back stronger next season, and there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

would beg to differ with that. They have great young players such as Delph (nicked off us!), Albrighton (Godcubed's idol ;) ) and Bannan just to name a few that I know of. Im sure Godcubed could give you a better list. I would say the future is bright for villa, if they can keep those young players then great for them but if not then they can get a good price for them and invest in the team

Thank you!

Offence taken. We're no more a club in decline than Liverpool is. We've had a bad year, granted, but we'll be back stronger next season, and there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

Thank you!

thought I'd try and save you the trouble ;)

Back