Gerard Houllier to leave Aston Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 10K
Maybe the fact that a manager with such a low reputation, in Martinez has hindered Villas chances of getting the calibre they deserve, no one would like to be second fiddle to the manager of a team with a reputation the same as Wigans. They may have just gone about it the wrong way and almost rushed in to it.

Is that reliable? Godcubed was adamant that £30m was the amount you had to spend this summer so one thing or the other isn't holding up there.

Poorly handled this search for a new manager IMHO. May end up with Mclaren because no other manager will touch the job knowing they were ninth or tenth choice and Lerner and Hughes have between them messed up him taking over.

Indeed. I'm not willing to believe anything yet regarding managers, AVFC are playing cards extremely close to their chest. Either that or Lerner's being overly-cautious, understandable after the MON monetary fiasco.

I hope we don't. Apparently, McClaren was set for an interview, but Lerner read the comments on AVFC fan forums and cancelled it. XD

Please Aston Villa go back and accept any demands from Rafa Benitez and appoint him! He is one of the best coaches available and willing to come!!!!

Oh and 30 mil for transfers ain't much... I mean Aston Villa will get like 12-18 mil from Young's sale, and another few mil and it wouldn't be a problem
IMO at least

Is that reliable? Godcubed was adamant that £30m was the amount you had to spend this summer so one thing or the other isn't holding up there.

Poorly handled this search for a new manager IMHO. May end up with Mclaren because no other manager will touch the job knowing they were ninth or tenth choice and Lerner and Hughes have between them messed up him taking over.

I can't find it now but that's what Pat Murphy of BBC Sport had on one report on the website.
I think if it is down to that reason it's because Lerner wants to avoid throwing money to a manager like the MON days.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Trending on twitter and odds have dropped from 50/1 to 5/2 on Simon Grayson now
Grayson subject of Villa gamble - TEAMtalk | Football | Championship | Leeds United News

Grayson's done well for Leeds, but nothing special really. Malky Mackay's arguably done a better job for Watford, with a much worse squad.

I don't follow Championship football that much if i'm honest so I have no idea about him and don't remember him from his days at Villa considering I was only age 4-6 during his time.
I'm not sure about taking on a manager that hasn't got Premier League experience though really, or at least like a top leagues experience.

GC with all due respect you can **** off of Simon Grayson :D Honestly don't think he'd leave us anyway, he wants to get the club back in the PL. Walrus I would argue that he has done a great job. Took a team that was starting to fail and got them promoted in his first full season (after a 'slight' collapse :P) and then got a 7th place finish, after being in play offs most season and 2nd at christmas. All with basically free signings. He's a good young manager

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey
I understand Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has quit and he is now front-runner to take charge of Aston Villa #avfc #bcfc

Alex Mcleish's claret and blue army has a great ring to it :D

Last edited:
I thought Lerner rejected McLaren because it's not what the fans wanted? .. And then this?

Really don't see how McLeish is better than the other names banded around. Really, not that good of a manager. Relegated twice, won the League Cup, yes. But still, meh.

It would be best if you try to get Rafa, no matter what demands he makes...

Villa fans face it, your getting McLeish.
Personally think its a disgrace as I would never be happy us getting Mick McCarthy down the Hawthorns.

Have fun singing an ex blue nose managers name next season ;)

Back