Gerard Houllier to leave Aston Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 10K
Would like to see what Martinez can do with few class players. He did really well with Wigan considering the quality of players they had. Now with Villa he can prove his worth.

Maybe Rodallega to Aston Villa along with N'Zogbia?

Anyways think Martinez is a good choice..
Yeah, a good choice as he has proven with Swansea and now Wigan. Don't know if he is good at reaching high expectations, though, at Aston Villa. I reckon Rodallega and N'Zogbia will move to Villa with him, and maybe Jordi Gomez as well (a favourite of Martinez's).

Martinez won't go, he's done too much at Wigan with the youth ranks and has a connection with us from his early years. He's only 2 years in to his 5 year plan. Whelan wouldn't have given him permission if he wasn't confident that he'd stay at Wigan.
Just because he's got a connection with you doesn't mean he won't move to further his career (he is still young and Villa would be a great opportunity for him). Whelan is an honest chairman and he doesn't get in the way of top players/managers leaving to bigger clubs (he's very unselfish - Valencia, Palacios, etc.). I reckon he will leave if Villa want him.

Won't Villa generate that through player sales anyway? Obviously it wouldn't all go to the manager to re-invest - rightly so IMO - but some of it would, on top of an existing transfer budget which Lerner has to give to whoever takes over since it looks likely that one or both of Downing and Young will be leaving. As well as Cuellar..

It's a young squad that desperately needs some investment this summer. Knowing Benitez, he probably would have used that money well as well.

Yeah Young is going for £16m apparently and i'd expect him to have already had £15 mil lined up, doesn't make too much sense to me, may have been hoping to deter another Martin O'Neill era where he spent and spent and it didn't particularly pay off.

I am sick and tired of all this abuse at Iain.

He lasted over 10 games.

Martinez news expected round about 1ish

about if he goes to avfc or stays at wafc

Interesting.

Martinez odds are starting to go out with Mark Hughes odds coming back in. Couple this up with various reports of Martinez telling Whelan he will stay for another year, it looks like he doesn't go to Villa.

Moyes to Villa, Hughes to Everton.....the way things are, it's just impossible to predict anything at the moment.

Indeed. Moving from 8th to 7th would be great ambition from Hughes. xD

Indeed. Moving from 8th to 7th would be great ambition from Hughes. xD

I admit, the longer this goes on day by day, makes me slightly nervous. As if Lerner is going to do something that would get Moyes to say yes. Lerner is a very smart man. And if he did get him, I would hate him. Lots.

I admit, the longer this goes on day by day, makes me slightly nervous. As if Lerner is going to do something that would get Moyes to say yes. Lerner is a very smart man. And if he did get him, I would hate him. Lots.

I have been bracing you for it for days now, with my ridiculous conspiracy stories though. ;)

Moyes will be Villa manager next season.

Sorry for possibly tempting fate GC.

Well, the odds for Mark Hughes have steadily fell this morning, some are getting close to odds on now with the best price available being 2/1. I quite frankly don't believe any of the nonsense published about Villa not wanting Hughes and now Martinez has passed up the opportunity, I think they will make a move.

Remember, the bookies generally know something is up, even 5 hours before it was made public that Martinez was staying, his odds were climbing.

I honestly just want a manager who isn't Steve Mclaren. I'm fed up with every link flopping.
Also Benitez was apparently rejected by Lerner because he wanted at least £30m to spend this window.

Is that reliable? Godcubed was adamant that £30m was the amount you had to spend this summer so one thing or the other isn't holding up there.

Poorly handled this search for a new manager IMHO. May end up with Mclaren because no other manager will touch the job knowing they were ninth or tenth choice and Lerner and Hughes have between them messed up him taking over.

Back