Getting a Good Bit of Muscle in a Year

Don't have to say sorry mate if you don't like it thats fine but I have wanted this tattoo years and its the only tattoo I'm ever going to get in my life so just want to have a good build for it hence why I made this thread.

Fair enough, I'm not going to try and change your mind about it.

Asking instructors at the gym is a good shout as they should be able to come up with a decent schedule. To be honest though, building enough muscle for the 6th of March is next to impossible. I think eating is the only way to increase your body size for that date!

theres load of info on internet mate download a schedule and follow it

theres load of info on internet mate download a schedule and follow it

Don't follow something from the internet oO) get one made personally from the instructor who knows best as any idiot can put things on the net.

If I was a mod the thread title would read Muscle by now.

I quite like it the way the rock has it but don't get it all the way down as at least if you don't like it it will be easier to cover up :)

If you can do 50 reps in one go then obviously you aren't lifting enough weight.

You need to feel proper cunted once you have done 8 reps, enough to warrant a breather before your next set.

Also get some Whey and drink it with some milk in the morning, and then have some with water after you have done your gym session.

Go on menshealth.co.UK, ignore every bullshite article where they contradict themselves and head to the forum. Plenty of helpful people there. Seem to remember a guy called 'thebigfella' or something. He went from a bit flabby to being a unit by hard work and nutrition etc and he was always helping people who asked for advice.

I did all this, but then went to the kitchen and ate a pie.

You really should of bulked up first before you went booking tattoo appointments. I've been at the gym now a month, I do three sets of twelve 3 different weights. Heaviest to the lightest. go about 3-4 days each week. Main thing I reckon will be your diet also take some proteins.

Bulking up for the 6th March is going to be quite hard.

Take creatine or protein shakes when you work out

Firstly as I was in a rush I forgot to add its my 21st next year not this year so have a full year to do it.

1 quote: Ye sorry about that as I said I was in a rush and now this thread title looks total fail

2 quote: Ye mate I'm getting it the way the rock's is just couldn't find a close up of the peck part of the Rock's tattoo so used your man their as a example as how it will be on peck to, the one's I could find of The Rock had him in seductive poses so wasn't putting them up ha.

3 quote: Ye was doing 6's noticed they were way to light then moved up to 8's felt a bit of strain after about 15 so moved up to 10's and can do about 5 before serious strain. And ye had water with me whole time and am buying protein shakes on Thursday as they have a discount in a shop my mate gets them that day.

4 quote: Thanks mate I'll check it out. Hope you enjoyed your pie :D

5 quote: As I said above sorry for not pointing out its next year not this year, Does it matter if you go from lightest to heaviest? And I plan on going Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the odd Sunday, as above getting protein shake on Thursday but in terms of diet I'm not really sure what I should and shouldn't be eating to pulk up I heard Chicken, Tuna for their protein ?

Anyway went gym today for hour and a half just using all the machines getting used tot them all and working out all parts of the body, me arms are dead now which at least shows I had a good workout and since I don't have my protein shake when I got home from gym I had chicken, tuna and beans for dinner. Well thanks for all the help so far lads its my dream to get that tattoo and want to do everything I can to make it happen.

Suggest at least 10 tugs a day, alternating between each hand or just go down the gym or get some dumbbells, simples.

Not sure if this will help you much but just found this whilst surfing the web looking for some physiotherapy for my leg. May be worth a look.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/

Stronglifts is a great site, it's what I linked to in my post and when I've been able to follow it (can't afford a gym membership and my home equipment is very limited) I've had great results and progress. Site has really come along in the last 2-3 years, and Mehdi seems like a good guy, despite sounding like a salesman and getting quite the ego recently.

reps of 8 but gradually build up otherwise ul get injuries and strains setting you back all the time. use protein powder and eat alot of meat and eggs, drink plenty of milk. you can bulk up in 3 months. dont **** up how i did just going for chest tri-cepts bi-cepts shoulders. you need to do your back and your legs also, do 2 nights on then a night off to start with. chest and tri-cepts same night, do your back, bi cepts and shoulders the other night then a day of rest, dont do much cardio. everyones body is differant and youl learn whats best 4 you by trail and error but this worked for me in 3 months

Its been said before but the best thing to do is to ask a trainer at the gym to create a schedule for you. These people do this day in and day out so can personalise a schedule for you, giving you advice on recovery, foods etc. Also they can make sure your technique for lifting is correct so that you dont risk injurying yourself.

buy DECENT Protein shake powder, join a gym and do mainly upper body weight training, situps, pressups are good to do at home too and easy...

Thanks sorry I'm a total beginner at this when I usually go gym I used to do hardly any weights just cardio so don't know much about them, Would a hour and a half working on weights be good enough would you say ?

It depends on your intensity. I usually work out for 2 hours 6-8 times a week, though sometimes I crack on with power sets or alternate sets and then it goes faster.

Depends what your lifting. I normally do 8.

Do some pyramids aswell like.

Pyramids are excellent for increasing your max, but I wouldn't recommend it to begin with. 5x5's are excellent for getting a foundation.

only you know tht mate get on bench press put it on the highest weight you can manage untill you can only do 3 reps

No.

When you go to the gym ask the instructor to help you come up with a schedule for you to do and redrups right the slower the better. Go slow when you are putting the weight down do it slowly so your muscle is working.

I've never had any good experience with gym instructors. I only seek advice from experienced guys (not the "educated" ones) who are closer to the body I want than me. Last part is important.

If you can do 50 reps in one go then obviously you aren't lifting enough weight.

You need to feel proper cunted once you have done 8 reps, enough to warrant a breather before your next set.

Also get some Whey and drink it with some milk in the morning, and then have some with water after you have done your gym session.

This. My diet consists of special K, whey protein shake, creatine, vitamins, maybe some beans or fruit for breakfast, snack on fruit, veg and high carbohydrate food at least 3 times before the gym, such as sandwiches, pasta, home-made curry, meal deals, subs etc (approx 5-6 o'clock), hit the gym and have a whey protein shake immediately after. Then I go home and eat about 300-400 grams of meat and the same in vegetables, at the same time making too much and storing it for lunch the next day. Then before I go to bed, more creatine and a casein shake. Protein and creatine is cheaply available at myprotein.com and is also of a good standard (it doesn't give me the ***** as bad as other brands do).

Suggest at least 10 tugs a day, alternating between each hand or just go down the gym or get some dumbbells, simples.

Don't wank before the gym, lowers your motivation and drive.

buy DECENT Protein shake powder, join a gym and do mainly upper body weight training, situps, pressups are good to do at home too and easy...

Don't do "mainly upper body." Doing the good legs exercises, such as lunges, squats etc, have a knock-on effect on the rest of your body by helping stabilise you by working out your lower back and core.

I personally do splits (not full), where I work out chest, bicep and tricep, thighs and calfs, back and shoulders on different days, in addition to doing abs each day. If you want, I can post my work-out routine? I've currently put on 4 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks.

Last edited:
If i were you mate id use creatine powder while working out. Also the exercise id suggest is maybe half an hour on weights and half an hour swimming if its a leisure centre with the gym.
And have a look on argos to get a chin up bar,press up curls and a sit up bar.
After the last 2 years iv managed to gain 3 stone in pure muscle.

Its usefull to follow a strict diet and eat lots of protein (eggs,full fat milk etc.)
Avoid steroids at all costs as once you stop using them the muscle burns away.

It depends on your intensity. I usually work out for 2 hours 6-8 times a week, though sometimes I crack on with power sets or alternate sets and then it goes faster.

Pyramids are excellent for increasing your max, but I wouldn't recommend it to begin with. 5x5's are excellent for getting a foundation.

No.

I've never had any good experience with gym instructors. I only seek advice from experienced guys (not the "educated" ones) who are closer to the body I want than me. Last part is important.

This. My diet consists of special K, whey protein shake, creatine, vitamins, maybe some beans or fruit for breakfast, snack on fruit, veg and high carbohydrate food at least 3 times before the gym, such as sandwiches, pasta, home-made curry, meal deals, subs etc (approx 5-6 o'clock), hit the gym and have a whey protein shake immediately after. Then I go home and eat about 300-400 grams of meat and the same in vegetables, at the same time making too much and storing it for lunch the next day. Then before I go to bed, more creatine and a casein shake. Protein and creatine is cheaply available at myprotein.com and is also of a good standard (it doesn't give me the ***** as bad as other brands do).

Don't wank before the gym, lowers your motivation and drive.

Don't do "mainly upper body." Doing the good legs exercises, such as lunges, squats etc, have a knock-on effect on the rest of your body by helping stabilise you by working out your lower back and core.

I personally do splits (not full), where I work out chest, bicep and tricep, thighs and calfs, back and shoulders on different days, in addition to doing abs each day. If you want, I can post my work-out routine? I've currently put on 4 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks.

Thanks alot for that mate just a few questions, I plan on working out 3 times a week at 2 hours a time to start out with is that good enough?

Sorry but what are 5x5's ? I do something like a triangle but its a machine based one haven't done it with free weights yet.

My friend who is stocky said he will come the gym with me from time to time so I can ask him for help other then the instructers.

Thanks for the help on the diet as I was in the dark about that one, is creatine safe for you yes?

Yesterday I used all the leg machines in the place but didn't attempt any squats plan on trying them soon.

Yes mate if you can do that it be brilliant as if I put on anything like that in 6 weeks I would be delighted, thanks again for your help.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

If i were you mate id use creatine powder while working out. Also the exercise id suggest is maybe half an hour on weights and half an hour swimming if its a leisure centre with the gym.
And have a look on argos to get a chin up bar,press up curls and a sit up bar.
After the last 2 years iv managed to gain 3 stone in pure muscle.

Its usefull to follow a strict diet and eat lots of protein (eggs,full fat milk etc.)
Avoid steroids at all costs as once you stop using them the muscle burns away.

Thanks for your help mate looking at getting that creatine as it has being suggested a good few times, Its not a lesuire centre gym its a good gym but just doesn't have the extra's such as swimming pool, sauna and that. I'll look at getting some weights in Argos which I can use around the house during the day I have off for recovery. And well done mate hope I can stay commited like you.