Getting a Good Bit of Muscle in a Year

Not enough calories in your breakfast, as has been suggested porridge is a great breakfast, as for the rest, it depends on serving size, although 5 meals a day is suggested to keep your metabolism optimally. You want to be eating tons, at least 3000 calories a day if you're working out properly (need to exceed what you're using, you can cut any fat you gain later).

As for the protein shake issue, I'm between Jake and Joe on the subject. I think they're worth using if you're struggling you get sufficient protein from your diet (around your weight in lb, but grams [so 180lb = 180+g/day]). But you need to buy the right stuff, not this bullshit which costs £30 for 908g and is half sugar/carb, half protein and then a few other magic ingredients. If you insist on using protein buy just whey protein (impact or isolate depending on budget), mix it with milk and optionally flavouring (nesquik/similar work well).

For easy protein I tend to buy packs of frozen chicken *******. Cheaper than buy fresh, not processed or full of ****. Just defrost, sear either side in a pan and bake for 25 mins.

Yes mate as I said a bit up I slept it out for work this morning so didn't have time for my porridge, I'm going to buy the Whey when the Protein my mate gave me runs out he recommended it to me and he is going the gym along time, he told me to put in the white of a egg into it and milk, 2 scoop's of the powder and leave it in the fridge for a bit. So eat alot of chicken so that will be no problem as it is my favorite meat what about burgers and lasagna things like that as I'm only 19 I have to eat what my mam makes me pretty much as I'm not great at cooking.

Yes mate as I said a bit up I slept it out for work this morning so didn't have time for my porridge, I'm going to buy the Whey when the Protein my mate gave me runs out he recommended it to me and he is going the gym along time, he told me to put in the white of a egg into it and milk, 2 scoop's of the powder and leave it in the fridge for a bit. So eat alot of chicken so that will be no problem as it is my favorite meat what about burgers and lasagna things like that as I'm only 19 I have to eat what my mam makes me pretty much as I'm not great at cooking.

The simplest meals to cook are usually the healthiest. Something like a stirfry (lean chicken breast, some asian vegetable leaves which can now be found pre packed in most supermarkets, and some noodles) quickly fired in a small amount of oil and a bit of soy sauce is far healthier than burgers and the vast majority of lasagnes (although it is possible to make healthy lasagne.)

If you are daunted by cooking then ask your mum to switch a few things, Quorn mince for example, tastes exactly the same as meat based mince when its in a lasagne or similar, and while it still has plenty of protein like the meat mince, it has far less fat.

The simplest meals to cook are usually the healthiest. Something like a stirfry (lean chicken breast, some asian vegetable leaves which can now be found pre packed in most supermarkets, and some noodles) quickly fired in a small amount of oil and a bit of soy sauce is far healthier than burgers and the vast majority of lasagnes (although it is possible to make healthy lasagne.)

If you are daunted by cooking then ask your mum to switch a few things, Quorn mince for example, tastes exactly the same as meat based mince when its in a lasagne or similar, and while it still has plenty of protein like the meat mince, it has far less fat.

Agree but the mince wont really do any harm if hes on a clean bulk. Just break your balls in the gym and get enough rest and your start seeing results

I'd start learning to cook if I was you, as Jake has said the healthy stuff is generally easy. Do you have a George Foreman style grill? A rice cooker? These two things can help a lot with getting started (although rice can be done in the microwave). I'd also advise buying frozen veg, which you then either boil or microwave and its done.

Does your mam cook every meal you eat or just specific ones?

Jake does know what he's talking about. Read those posts and dont bother with the protein ****. All protein shakes do is help you build water weight, and make you massive but not toned. If you really want to use supplements, creatine is the way forward if youre already big enough but then again its a load of **** and a waste of money.

Just watch what youre eating, try to keep it healthy and look for the high protein foods, pasta is obviously good. Only do an hour in the gym, I heard somewhere thats recommended workout time. Gives your body time to get working, so you feel the benefits.

My housemate has decided to go on a fitness mission and has purchased all the protein/creatine, even when he doesnt need to. He's similar size to Jake, a big lad, and all the protein is gonna do is make him fat. He reckons it helps him recover after the gym, but surely after a period of time where you start to ache, you'll get used to it and be able to reap the rewards of hard work. Thats all it takes really, just get youself down the gym for an hour every couple of nights.

Dont know where some of the info on protein shakes are coming from :S obviously some products are better than others but theres alot of hate for no reason :p

About the cooking. I bought one of these Morphy Richards 48780 Intellisteam Steamer: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

(about 40 odd quid when I got it.) Simply put the veg etc in, press a few buttons and leave it to cook, everything finishes cooking at the same time and then you simply serve it up.

Aye them cooking things are well good.

Or you could just save money and cook them in the pan :p

Or combine the two and steam them in the microwave ;) (Add a little water, use a microwave cover thing)

Ha, or that!! But its a piece of **** to chuck all the ingrediants in the compartments, press a few buttons and leave it to work while you watch tv or whatever.

Then at the end if your not ready to eat it, the machine will keep it all hot for you until you are ready. Cosmic!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Or combine the two and steam them in the microwave ;) (Add a little water, use a microwave cover thing)

But you have to still cook each thing individually ;) - this does it all at once. Its like a wizard of cookery!

Thanks for all the help lads, usually I have breakfast in the morning of porridge then in work their is 2 breaks for the first one I usually get a yogurt, fruit and milk and for the the later lunch it depends whats on the menu today I got sweet & sour chicken and pasta and also on the menu was Italian Meatballs their is also sandwich bar and soup their, in terms of meal my mam cooks my dinner which today is lasagna and then I usually make myself a sandwich in the night and have a bar of chocolate and thats all I usually eat, my dad goes shopping on a Thursday so I'm going to give him money to buy me a week worth of food so do you have suggestions on what I should get obviously fruit and chicken and that but anything else. Also having a ham and tomato roll now before my dinner and then I don't really know what to have later on after my dinner.

Ye I know mate I slept it out this morning for work so didn't have time to get breakfast at home had to get it in the work canteen and they have none so Coco-Pops will have to do for today but yes I eat porridge at home its very tasty :)

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Its called Pro-X protein ? Today is a rest day for me so will I have one when I get home before dinner and one before I go to bed?

you should space it out more, have one in the morning and one later in the day

Also steamed veg is the way to go, pop it in the microwave for 6 and a half minutes and its done

Eggs, Tuna, Cottage Cheese, Chicken *******, Nuts (unsalted), Frozen Veg.... ummmmm let me keep thinking

(obviously dont buy any of that if you done like them!)

Edit - tinned stuff is good - baked beans, tinned tomatos (plum / chopped)

Last edited:
to get muscles quickly try eating a lot of protein, or protein shakes after you go to the gym. For Strength go for low number of reps but more weight, for endurance more reps on a lower weight

go read up on rippetoes and GOMAD - thats all you need to bulk up when you start lifting :) then after 6-12 months of lifting go read up on 5/3/1 (make sure you read the book) - follow the routines as strictly as you can allow yourself and youll see insane progress.

if you have doms and its a day for lifting, just lift - dont ***** out or youll never get anywhere.

My work-out routine consists of 5 work-outs, and I work-out 6-8 a week, which I've split into several routines. I've based my routine on Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Olympia winning routine, but made it lighter, as I don't have time for 1-3 work-outs a day. I work out Monday to Saturday and take Sunday off to eat.

First of all, do 5x5 first. This work-out routine is not for newbies. I always do certain exercises and rotate the others, with the ones I always do in bold. Unless note otherwise, I do 6 sets and 6-10 reps, e.g. if I can do ten reps, I up the weight for the third set, and if I can still do 8-10, I up it again for the fifth. I also do 6 sets of abs each day.

Additionally, vary your routine. I change mine every few months to prevent my body from growing jaded. Terry Crew's 24's are also worth looking at.

Chest, 5 exercises
Bench press
Incline press or incline dumbell (DB) press
Dumbell (DB) bench press or decline press

Pullovers (12 reps per set)
Incline flyes or flat flyes

Back, 5-7 exercises
Bent over row or T-bar row
Back hyperextension
Chin ups (I do as many as I can per set, so around 30)
Lateral pull-downs

Seated rows
Upright row with a bar, considering going back to EZ bar
Shrugs
One-arm dumbell row
Romanian deadlift

Shoulders, 5 exercises
Standing overhead press
Seated overhead DB press

Lateral DB raises
Lateral cable raises
Front DB raises
Incline EZ front raises (may use smaller barbells)

I also sometimes do upright rows or shrugs, as I'm trying to improve my trapezius.

Legs, 5-7 exercises
Squats, 12 reps per set
Barbell lunges
Toe raises

Leg extensions
Leg curls
Leg press
Deadlift

Arms, 3-4 exercises each
Triceps
Skullcrushers/French press
Dips, as many reps as possible

Tricep pull down
Close-grip bench press
Other exerrcises too, but these are my main ones
Biceps
Seated hammers
Bicep curl (may use preacher bench)
Reverse EZ curl (also does forearms)
EZ curl

Bicep pull down
Pull ups
Wrist curls (forearm exercise)

Abs
Jack knives
Slow crunches (focus on constantly keeping your abs tense)
Plank
Side plank
Cable crunches (very difficult to master, so disregard it for now)

Additional training
I often do press-ups, usually 2-3 times a week. http://100pushups.info is fantastic, as it's a great program regardless of strength. Doing cardio doesn't hurt either, and some pure calisthenic days are also good once in a while. Nothing hurts like a good old Spartan work-out.

Diet
Never go hungry, if you feel you can eat, eat. Snack loads and eat relatively small meals, but eat them all the time.

Alcohol - VERY LITTLE. Having a beer or two if fine if you've eaten solidly, but certainly not getting trashed. Getting drunk lowers testosterone, makes you go hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) and severely impairs your liver's ability to synthesise muscle protein.

White cane sugar - BAD. I restrict myself to a single sugary dessert a week, as sugar yo-yo's your blood sugar, which makes you feel tired and lethargic which is bad if you're going to the gym, and it also reduces the quality of your sleep.

Fatty food - Try to stay away from disgustingly greasy stuff, but properly made hamburgers and such aren't gonna hurt. Eating one now, in fact.

Supplements - First of all, protein shakes are supplements. Unless your body actually needs the protein, you're simply putting on fat. Remember, it's not a substitute for meals, it's simply a supplement. Whey protein shake during breakfast, and another one immediately after the work-out, as your body requires the protein immediately to prime it for growth. I always have a casein shake before bed, as it clots in your stomach and releases protein for several hours, as opposed to whey's almost instantaneous uptake. It thus prevents a catabolic state and reduces muscle ache the following morning. More here

Creatine is a must; it increases the ATP (energy) in your muscles and increases lactic acid tolerance. It is distilled win.

You sound a right lazy **** Chaz ;)

If your muscles are hurting alot the day after the gym, try taking some L Glutamine, supposed to help muscle recovery quite alot

You sound a right lazy **** Chaz ;)

If your muscles are hurting alot the day after the gym, try taking some L Glutamine, supposed to help muscle recovery quite alot

Nah, my muscles are usually fine, though my legs tend to feel a bit worse for wear, but I space it out enough for it not to be a problem. My casein really helps, I noticed it immediately when I ran out.

Nah, my muscles are usually fine, though my legs tend to feel a bit worse for wear, but I space it out enough for it not to be a problem. My casein really helps, I noticed it immediately when I ran out.

Oops, that was meant for the OP :$

So are you a tank Chaz? ha

Oops, that was meant for the OP :$

So are you a tank Chaz? ha

Not really, though I'm putting on weight. I've only been on this routine since Xmas, before that I wasn't quite as hardcore (about 4-5 work-outs a week). I'll post a picture later maybe. I'm currently at 70kg and bench pressing 110kg, if that is a good gage.

My work-out routine consists of 5 work-outs, and I work-out 6-8 a week, which I've split into several routines. I've based my routine on Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Olympia winning routine, but made it lighter, as I don't have time for 1-3 work-outs a day. I work out Monday to Saturday and take Sunday off to eat.

First of all, do 5x5 first. This work-out routine is not for newbies. I always do certain exercises and rotate the others, with the ones I always do in bold. Unless note otherwise, I do 6 sets and 6-10 reps, e.g. if I can do ten reps, I up the weight for the third set, and if I can still do 8-10, I up it again for the fifth. I also do 6 sets of abs each day.

Additionally, vary your routine. I change mine every few months to prevent my body from growing jaded. Terry Crew's 24's are also worth looking at.

Chest, 5 exercises
Bench press
Incline press or incline dumbell (DB) press
Dumbell (DB) bench press or decline press

Pullovers (12 reps per set)
Incline flyes or flat flyes

Back, 5-7 exercises
Bent over row or T-bar row
Back hyperextension
Chin ups (I do as many as I can per set, so around 30)
Lateral pull-downs

Seated rows
Upright row with a bar, considering going back to EZ bar
Shrugs
One-arm dumbell row
Romanian deadlift

Shoulders, 5 exercises
Standing overhead press
Seated overhead DB press

Lateral DB raises
Lateral cable raises
Front DB raises
Incline EZ front raises (may use smaller barbells)

I also sometimes do upright rows or shrugs, as I'm trying to improve my trapezius.

Legs, 5-7 exercises
Squats, 12 reps per set
Barbell lunges
Toe raises

Leg extensions
Leg curls
Leg press
Deadlift

Arms, 3-4 exercises each
Triceps
Skullcrushers/French press
Dips, as many reps as possible

Tricep pull down
Close-grip bench press
Other exerrcises too, but these are my main ones
Biceps
Seated hammers
Bicep curl (may use preacher bench)
Reverse EZ curl (also does forearms)
EZ curl

Bicep pull down
Pull ups
Wrist curls (forearm exercise)

Abs
Jack knives
Slow crunches (focus on constantly keeping your abs tense)
Plank
Side plank
Cable crunches (very difficult to master, so disregard it for now)

Additional training
I often do press-ups, usually 2-3 times a week. http://100pushups.info is fantastic, as it's a great program regardless of strength. Doing cardio doesn't hurt either, and some pure calisthenic days are also good once in a while. Nothing hurts like a good old Spartan work-out.

Diet
Never go hungry, if you feel you can eat, eat. Snack loads and eat relatively small meals, but eat them all the time.

Alcohol - VERY LITTLE. Having a beer or two if fine if you've eaten solidly, but certainly not getting trashed. Getting drunk lowers testosterone, makes you go hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) and severely impairs your liver's ability to synthesise muscle protein.

White cane sugar - BAD. I restrict myself to a single sugary dessert a week, as sugar yo-yo's your blood sugar, which makes you feel tired and lethargic which is bad if you're going to the gym, and it also reduces the quality of your sleep.

Fatty food - Try to stay away from disgustingly greasy stuff, but properly made hamburgers and such aren't gonna hurt. Eating one now, in fact.

Supplements - First of all, protein shakes are supplements. Unless your body actually needs the protein, you're simply putting on fat. Remember, it's not a substitute for meals, it's simply a supplement. Whey protein shake during breakfast, and another one immediately after the work-out, as your body requires the protein immediately to prime it for growth. I always have a casein shake before bed, as it clots in your stomach and releases protein for several hours, as opposed to whey's almost instantaneous uptake. It thus prevents a catabolic state and reduces muscle ache the following morning. More here

Creatine is a must; it increases the ATP (energy) in your muscles and increases lactic acid tolerance. It is distilled win.

Thanks very much alot of effort into that post looking into all them work-out's now so I learn how to do them, In terms of alcohol being from Dublin and being quite young I do find myself out alot at the weekends but last week I only drank once a week and I'm going to try and continue that, For the sugar my dad works in Cadbury's so the temptation is always their for chocolate so what is it that I can have say 2 bar's a week ? In terms of fatty food the canteen in my job makes alot of fatty foods so I think I'm going to bring in my own lunchs from now on to counter that, for the Creatine I'm going to buy it in the next week or 2 as I have already bought gym membership and protein shake. Also this was posted on the other page and I had a look and the diet looks very easy to follow and goes you 5 Sample Menu's can you have a quick glance over it and tell us if I should follow it.

http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/articles/eating.html