Getting the Latics (Wigan) to the top.

dKempz

Reaction score

I decided to make this save to give myself a challenge, this challenge being to get Wigan back into the Premier League and after a few seasons European/Domestic glory. Wigan was founded in 1932 and are now the most recently formed club in the Npower Championship.

The nations that have been loaded are Brazil, Denmark, England, Germany, Italy , Norway and Spain. I will be loading more nations after the first season such as Argentina and Mexico to try and find some young talent.

I am already half way through the first season due to me not initially planning to make this a story that I would be posting on FM-Base. The squad was kept the same with me not signing any players due to a lack of money.

Here is the squad I had to work with:
View attachment 358274
Now the final part of my first post. Where I am in the league and how am I doing in the Europa League. I am going very strong in both competitions managing to get out of the Europa League group stage and in the top half of the Championship.

Here are the League and Europa League standings:

Championship table:

View attachment 358276

Europa League Group Standings:
View attachment 358277
As you can see I am 1st in the Championship and have quite a large gap between myself and 2nd place so I would expect nothing less than automatic promotion back into the Premier League.

In the Europa League, I had a tought group coming up against Dutch team FC Twente and Danish side FC Midtjylland. I done well to get through the group in 1st place and now come up against Benfica in the 1st Knockout Round.

This is for the first post, thanks alot for reading (If anybody) and feedback will be greatly appreciated alongside transfer targets for the upcoming season.

- dKempz

So the 1st Season is over and I am delighted to say I did get Wigan back into the top flight of English football, we was one point away from getting the big 100.

This is my first season round up so I don't know how to go about this so im just going to show the league table and go over some important stats.

Championship Table:

View attachment 358459

As you can see we placed 1st in the league as expected from myself, we finished on a total of 99 points with a goal difference of +68. I was using the 4-3-2-1 Zenith by Qetesh and it has worked wonders for me however I tweaked it to make it work for the team I had.

Europa League

Moving onto the Europa League, in the last post I said we came 1st in the group and was drawn against Benfica in the 1st knockout round, this didn't end to well as we lost on away goals beating them away 1-0 and then losing at home 2-1 which is unfortunate but I wasn't expecting to go to far in that competition anyway.

View attachment 358467

Team and Player stats
Arouna Kone was the teams leading scorer scoring 36 goals in 47 appearances in all competitions.

Below are SS of the Championships player and team stats, overall we done well in some of these areas placing 1st in four of the stats.

I know this was very short but I wasn't expecting to make a story out of this save. I enjoyed making these two posts and am going to carry on with this story. Thanks for reading and please give feedback about how I can improve my story and what targets I should scout for next season.

EDIT: I also claimed Manager of the year and we had five players in the team of the year which were Kone, Beausejour, Al-Habsi, Caldwell and Figueroa.

Last edited:
I have been waiting to see a Wigan story for a while, because back in the Football manager 2007 I played as Wigan as I like to play the under dog story rising up from the Championship to dominate the Premier League. I chose Cardiff in the last 2 games as Wigan has been in the Preier League for me.

Although your posts are short thus far i am looking forward to how you would go in the following season. I will definitely follow this story.

nice season mate, good job on the points! who you planning on buying for the EPL?

just remember one thing! you are now a small fish in a big pond! you probably had the 2nd best squad in the league save for QPR! so I suggest either tweaking that tactic to play defensive/counter style or get a new one :)

I have been waiting to see a Wigan story for a while, because back in the Football manager 2007 I played as Wigan as I like to play the under dog story rising up from the Championship to dominate the Premier League. I chose Cardiff in the last 2 games as Wigan has been in the Preier League for me.

Although your posts are short thus far i am looking forward to how you would go in the following season. I will definitely follow this story.

Thanks alot Bindie, look forward to seeing you comment more!

nice season mate, good job on the points! who you planning on buying for the EPL?

just remember one thing! you are now a small fish in a big pond! you probably had the 2nd best squad in the league save for QPR! so I suggest either tweaking that tactic to play defensive/counter style or get a new one :)

Yeah tactics and things will be discussed next time, probably in about 1hour ill post the start of the season.

Not sure about players coming in, Some players left. I have been given 7million to spend. Also I need 7players who have been trained by an english club in the team but I only have two at the moment, so theres abit of a dilemma

So here it is the start of the 2nd season. I was given 7 million pounds to ' Avoid relegation ' so this was the option I selected. Below is the SS of the players I bought in and the players that departed from the club.

Second season transfers

View attachment 358625
So as you can see I opted to strengthen the back line and brought in 4 signings which enabled me to do so. I felt my midfield and striker areas are strong enough for this season when I don't have a lot of money. Some people might be surprised with these signings, but with the lack of scouting knowledge Wigan have I had to base my signings off of players I know will grow in the future.

I also offered mutual termination to most of my staff and bought in new staff that would help my team develop, these are the staff I bought in.

Staff signings

View attachment 358634

Now I would like to ask you, how should I do this story from now on ? Would you like me to keep it half season updates or would you like me to make shorter updates every 1/2 months ingame?

Im using two tactics, the first tactic being 4-3-2-1 by Qetesh and the 2nd one is actually your Rock Classic 4-1-4-1. with my own little tweaks to suit my team for example with your tactic I change the mentality from attacking to control, and play more direct football!

Thanks for the post, working on the first two months of the season now!

Im using two tactics, the first tactic being 4-3-2-1 by Qetesh and the 2nd one is actually your Rock Classic 4-1-4-1. with my own little tweaks to suit my team for example with your tactic I change the mentality from attacking to control, and play more direct football!

Thanks for the post, working on the first two months of the season now!

Okay. But the Rock Classic is a classic tactic, and you can't change mentality from attacking to control, because you don't have the option to do so. You must be using the old one then, 4-1-4-1 Rock.

Okay. But the Rock Classic is a classic tactic, and you can't change mentality from attacking to control, because you don't have the option to do so. You must be using the old one then, 4-1-4-1 Rock.

Yeah my bad, it is the Rock not the Rock classic

Nice story, keep at it.

Apart from De Sciglio Im not sure you ve spent as wisely as you could have but lets see ...

August and September

Wigan 0 - 0 Newcastle - BPL

Chelsea 1 - 2 Wigan ( Boselli, Beausejour ) - BPL

Wigan 1 - 0 MK Dons ( Kone ) - Capital One Cup 2nd Rnd

Man Utd 2 - 1 Wigan ( McCarthy ) - BPL

Liverpool 1 - 2 Wigan ( Caldwell, McCarthy ) - Capital One Cup 3rd Rnd

Wigan 1 - 1 Stoke ( Beausejour ) - BPL

Wigan 4 - 2 Arsenal ( Maloney x 3, Kone ) - BPL

West Ham 1 - 1 Wigan ( McCarthy ) - BPL

Overview

As you can see we have had a mixed bag of results here, some very amazing results that I didn't expect to win and some results I did expect to win that we didn't win. We have drawn Chelsea in the Capital One Cup 4th Rnd so we are having our fair share of tough cup games. We are doing well in the BPL currently sitting in 11th place after 7 games. My decision to not strengthen the striker and midfield areas payed off as Kone, Boselli, McCarthy, Maloney and Beausejour are having great games and all above a 7.0 match rating at the moment.

Here is the SS of the BPL table and my most impressive win so far

The reason I chose the 4-2 victory over Arsenal is purely down to the reason that the boys showed the style and quality of football they can play against the top teams and players. ( And because im a Tottenham fan .

We have some hard fixtures coming up in the next two months which include: Chelsea, Tottenham, Sunderland and West Brom all away.

Lets hope we can make our mark!

Check the latest update of the first two months back in the top flight! Some might say it has been a good start to the league and cup. What do you think ?

I have always been bad at buying players, maybe give me some suggestions for next season. Im using the LFC Marshall latest update.

Thanks for the comment

Great, Just holidayed to matches and conceded 9 score 1. AWFUL assistant manager!