TicTactition

Reaction score

MARINERS DEFEATED

View attachment 260948

After suffering the heartbreak of losing this years Playoff Final against Bristol Rovers the Grimsby Town players are consoling Jon-Paul Pittman who was the only player of 10 to miss a penalty infront of a record crowd at Wembley for a non-league final. Shortly after the game, current manager Paul Hurst was holding a press conference about the game and how he felt.

View attachment 260947
Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst

Reporting to Radio Humberside

John Tondeur: How do you feel about the final Paul obviously upset but where do you think the key decisions which you lost the game?

Paul Hurst: Well for the decision for the ref to bottle it in sending the keeper off so early in the game for a handball outside the box obviously changed the game when we was 1-0 up. We also dominated the game but didn't take our chances which ultimately resulted in the lottery of playoffs.

John Tondeur:
Where do you go from this now Paul? After three consecutive years finishing in the play-offs but not getting promoted either of the past three attempts?

Paul Hurst: Well John, your the first to know and I'd like to announce it here. I'll be parting ways with Grimsby to go onto new pastures, I want to keep a positive relationship with the fans and try let someone else have a go at getting this great club to where it belongs to be.

Grimsby in search for new manager

View attachment 260946
Grimsby Town chairman John Fenty.

Today John Fenty sat down whilst being interviewed and answered a few questions wanting to be heard. He added that he was on the search for a new manager who fit the bill and wouldn't just appoint anybody, he would sit down with directors and Trust Members to decide who would be best to take the club forward. Also he added that part of the clubs long-term aims was for a new stadium to be built, however the club has been having problems with deciding on locations and where would be pivotal for increasing fan-base. 'We want to see this club back in the Football League' was the words of John Fenty and added he would be doing his uttermost to get the club back there. He has single-handedly run the club on his own dipping into his own pockets for the past 13 years.

Last edited:
As a Lincoln fan, any success here will pain me, but I'll be following nonetheless

Who are Grimsby Town?

View attachment 260936

'The Mariners'
Est 1878.

As Grimsby are my local team I thought what better to start a save with my local team. I was previously a member of the youth team for 7 years before being released in 2012. The most notable thing about Grimsby is that they are languishing in the Vanarama Conference but when England famously beat Germany 5-1, Grimsby was sitting top of the Championship so they have had a massive fall from grace. Grimsby is a small town in the North-East of England near Hull. My target is to hit the big time and eventually battle it out with the big boys whilst providing a full in depth story.

Stadium

View attachment 260933
Blundell Park
8870 Capacity

Blundell Park hosts the oldest stand in England, the main stand which is still made from wood in most places! Despite that the stadium is one of the best in the league and would not look out of place in League One. It has been host to some very memorable games such as derbies against Lincoln and Scunthorpe and a 1-0 win in the Carling Cup as it was then to Tottenham. Most recently there have been discussions that a new stadium could be being built within the next 5 years which may propel the club in a forward direction.

View attachment 260932

As a Lincoln fan, any success here will pain me, but I'll be following nonetheless

Why thankyou haha! I'm sure your season will be exciting this year with the good additions you've added.

Why thankyou haha! I'm sure your season will be exciting this year with the good additions you've added.

It can't get any worse than recent years, although I'm looking forward to the derby games after last year!

View attachment 260931

Fenty announces successor to Hurst

Today John Fenty has decided and come to an agreement with the new manager of Grimsby Town who he said will be 'unexpected' by the town faithful. A younger manager to cahnge the style of the club and see if he can get the ball rolling for town. Fenty explained of how only a two-year deal has been given and the manager must deliver promotion within them two seasons. He also hinted to the fans that ongoing talks with the trust are coming up with new plans to try and rake more money in for the coming season for Grimsby.

View attachment 260923

Grimsby Town have announced the signing of new English manager J.Garner who joins on a two-year deal. Having previously having ties with Grimsby it's clear that the manager knows the club very well and is relishing the opportunity to take this club forward. Some fans are said to be unhappy that Fenty has replaced a consistant manager with someone taking their first steps into management. Other fans are said to be excited by the prospect of a manager wanting to add a new style to the club. After his years of Football, Mr J Garner has gone on to be a successful business entrepreneur and Fenty said he would be in charge of finances also.

I am pleased by the opportunity which has been given to me here at Grimsby Town, infact it is a dream come true. I remember being a fan sitting on the terraces wondering what it would be like to take charge of the football club which you support. I will do my uttermost to take this club on a journey upwards, I hope we can have a successful time with eachother this season and hopefully we will return to the league. We will rebuild and we will come back stronger.

#WeGoAgain

Last edited:
You were the reason I first did a story on this website, so I will definitely be following!

You were the reason I first did a story on this website, so I will definitely be following!
Great to know that Jamie, I've been a silent reader this year but had a good read through your story and it's fantastic.

Sounds like a great start to a story, ill be following.

View attachment 260922

#OperationPromotion

Today Grimsby Town FC have announced they have made an agreement with the Mariners Trust board which is run by fans that fans are going to try raise money for players to improve the squad quality for the upcoming season. The original target in £20,000 which must be achieved before the end of the transfer window for this to go ahead. Also the Mullens family who have put money into the club in the past said they will match any donation up to the sum of £20,000 should this succeed.

The Link to the following donation scheme can be seen here: Help Grimsby Town achieve Operation Promotion, a Community in Grimsby, United Kingdom on Crowdfunder

7:45pm

Seeming to be a very strategic move by the Trust, the idea in the first day has already taken off with plenty of people already donating to the cause, also to add extra initiative there have been added prizes to try aid the donation procedures such as t-shirts, mugs, stadium tours, chances to be in the squad photo and for one lucky supporter who can pledge £2,500.. Garner has agreed to give them a squad number and a place in the match programmes and team photos for the full year. Even Celebrity fan from Man vs Food, Adam Richman has donated £250 to the cause.

View attachment 260910

Grimsby have announced their new Home Kit for the season

View attachment 260906

View attachment 260823

Since being at this club only a short time, what we already have in place is unbelievable especially after a play-off final defeat the fans are so optimistic and the players have been more than brilliant for me already making my job alot more easier. I have an idea in place for Pre-Season. I'll be doing things my way and putting my own foothold on the club but I want to keep the connection of fans and players and making sure they are our 12th man on the pitch.

View attachment 260811

We have teamed up with UniKurve fitness this Pre-Season to give our players a physical edge in the season so we can be quicker, stronger and mentally prepared better than any team. Also to keep our fitness up which may be a deciding factor during the run-in to the end of the season.

Key Players - also modelling the new away kit.

View attachment 260798
From Left to Right:

Shaun Pearson

The dominant centre-back who pledged his future to Grimsby despite offers from the Football League this summer, branded as the best centre back of non-league and is the rock which was behind the best defence of the Conference that year.

Jon-Paul Pittman
The American striker who has dropped down to non-league last year wants to make up for his penalty miss at Wembley. He is quick, strong and very athletic and will be key for us this year if can stay fit.

Craig Disley
Captain Fantastic, leads by example and is an absolute classy pro. Having had a fantastic career and at the wrong end of 30 Craig will be in his last few years but nevertheless will be in control of the centre of midfield.

Joe Garner has became the Grimsby manager! :p
I'll definitely be following this

View attachment 260751

Not bad for away support.
(Lincoln City v Grimsby Town)

Now the hard work begins.

I had been able to talk about all the positive things which have happened since I've taken over the club but I've proved nothing myself. I have had a pre-season under my belt to judge how players have performed and who are in my plans for the upcoming season, we do have very good players at our disposal but we need a squad to cope with the intensity of which I want to play at. I've worked very hard to figure out a tactic which will suit the team and my philosophies which I want to play with. I've been on the phone quite abit too, enquiring about players and their availability and the price which would be demanded for them. We raised an extra amount of cash which has been pivotal in me securing players services and attracting players to come here, I reached an agreement with the chairman John Fenty that the money would be better spent on wages for free agents instead of a big transfer fee for one player who may not perform. It's the risk you have to take in this business if you want to succeed.

The Tactic

View attachment 260742

As you can see, very much a 4-1-2-3 formation. My idea of the tactic came from watching us on the training ground seeing we had bags of energy in places but we also had the quality up top. There was quality strikers here that I wouldn't dare bench as I know they can get us 15-20 goals this season. The wing backs are like wingers for me, when we are going forward they will add so much more width that I don't think teams will know how to handle us and I'm looking for the central midfielders to get involved as much as possible and dominate the game. As for the holding midfielder I want somebody strong infront of the back four who I can rely on to break play up and get us playing again should we face a uncertain spell of pressure, we have a team of grafters and if we can add a slight glimpse of quality I believe that we can go one step further this year.

Great to have you back writing mate. As always will be following. Good luck. :)

New Arrivals and Departures at Grimsby.

View attachment 260484

In's:

NameClubFee
Kevin EllisonMorecombe£3.8k
Ian MorrisNorthamptonloan
Mark CullenLutonloan
Shamir FenelonBrightonloan
Emilson Cribari//

A grand total of 3.8k was spent in funds for transfers, as for the loans we are paying minimal wages from the respected clubs but seeing these players and what they offer are perfect for what we need. Kevin Ellison the veteran is the only player who commanded a fee and ill be playing him in the F9 position rotating him as I know he's know spring chicken. Although I know this isn't his preferred position he can hold a ball up but also run with it. Ian Morris will add legs going forward to our midfield and will be combative in the middle, a very good position to fight for this year. Mark Cullen and Shamir Fenelon both brought in as options up top, I've seen Cullen before at this level and I know he can put the ball in the net as for Fenelon he is lightning quick and will cause defences into making mistakes of their own. The last signing of the window is Emilson Cribari who I'll be looking to play due to his quality but at the grand age of 36 I want him as an experienced head in the dressing room, he has had great experience enjoying spells at Lazio, Napoli, Cruziero and Rangers.

Out's:

NameClubFee
Paul BignotAlfreton/
Caine WinfarrahBoston Utdloan
Matthew DaleKings Lynnloan
Christian JolleyGatesheadfree

We let the two respective youngsters go out on loan to gain first team football and see if they can develop themselves when they are away. Paul Bignot joins Alfreton as surplus to requirements, we have Carl Magnay who is solid and the right-back spot will virtually be his if he performs well this year and young Paul Walker who showed more promise in Pre-Season. A shock to everyone was that Christian Jolley left the club as he was regarded as a good player, but his attitude in training and effort levels was far below par and the only way we are going to win things is by pulling together and working hard as a team.

We begin the season with the game away at Bristol Rovers, the team who subsequently went up instead of us at Wembley in real life.

#WeGoAgain

#ThisTownKnows

View attachment 260382

So we are finally here, the time for our first league game of the season. We have trained hard; blood, sweat and tears have been poured over this pre-season and I'm sure most of the players hated me during it but we will reap the benefits if my plan works out. I've hardly had any sleep thinking about the way which we will play against Bristol, where would their key threat be? Where could I cut them off from playing? Then I suddenly realised that they are probably more worried than us about this game. We will play our way and let them worry about us.

Saturday 9th August 2014
Vanarama Conference

The Memorial Stadium

Bristol Rovers 1 - 2 Grimsby Town
Clay (54'), John-Lewis (58')

MOTM: Lenell John-Lewis

After going in losing at the break, we rallied together and I told the team to keep their heads and Bristol would eventually tire from suffering barrages of attacks. Our plan paid off and two quick-fire goals gave us the advantage, after this the game kind of spiraled off and the tempo dropped but Bristol was that tired that they hardly had anything to throw at us after our enslaught.

What a great first result for me here at Grimsby, I'm loving it and I think I've honestly got a great, honest group of players who will work their nads off for the shirt.

Rest of results for August:

View attachment 260381

As you can see, we went the rest of August unbeaten. An absolutely fantastic achievement and I wouldn't have dreamed of picking up 16 points from the first 18. We have had to play on some very poor quality surfaces some days so that makes us change our style of play from what we are used to but we have noticed that quickly and adjusted. Towards the end of the month we kept two clean sheets, something which I want to build on specifically because although we have a very attacking formation, goals win games but clean sheets win titles. Lenell John-Lewis and Aristote Nsiala was the standout performers of the month with both of them netting goals but at different ends of the pitch.

Scorers:
Lenell John-Lewis - 4
Aristote Nsiala - 3
Craig Clay - 2
Kevin Ellison - 1
Shaun Pearson - 1

#WeGoAgain

#ThisTownKnows

View attachment 260380

Conference team, Premier League fans

Results for September

View attachment 260377

Another absolute stormer of a month for me! I can't believe how we are just dispatching teams with ease and it seems before we even kick a ball teams are scared of us, another 16 points picked up out of 21 is title winning form and our players are just a credit to behold absolutely playing out their skin but it means nothing should we not achieve anything at the end of the campaign. There was some brilliant standout games of the month such as beating our rivals Lincoln 2-1 with 2,500 travelling fans who was more like a home team with the amount of noise they made. Or between the game away at Halifax or Dartford where we managed to smash four away from home against each. The standout player of the month was Lenell John-Lewis who managed to smash home 8 this month and a total of 12 already this season.

Game of the Month

Tuesday 16th September 2014
Vanarama Conference

The Shay

FC Halifax
0 - 4 Grimsby Town
John-Lewis (32', 45', 63'), Cullen (51')

MOTM: Lenell John-Lewis

Purely this game on the fact of we could of had 10. The away support again is amazing and I know it is a cliche but they really are our 12th man. Lenell took home his first ever matchball today and he worked hard for his goals and completed the perfect hat-trick with a left foot, right foot and a header. We also kept a clean sheet which is good to see and always a bonus for us and the defensive department.

Player of the Month

View attachment 260372
Lenell John-Lewis
On the basis of his 8 goals in 8 games this month, aswell as offering a physical presence up top holding the ball, his work effort is second to none. I didn't see him as our main goalscorer this year but he has suprised us all and been smashing them home like there is no tomorrow, long may this form continue for us.

Scorers this month: (Total in brackets)
Lenell John-Lewis - 8 (12)
Aristote Nsiala - 0 (3)
Craig Clay - 1 (3)
Craig Disley - 2 (2)
Mark Cullen - 2 (2)
Jon-Paul Pittman - 2 (2)
Shaun Pearson - 1 (2)
Shamir Fenelon - 1 (1)
Kevin Ellison - 0 (1)

#WeGoAgain

Last edited: