Gunners set for summer spending

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 6K
Not at all, i think the right players have the right value. 50m for Torres was too much somthing i said when the transfer went ahead. But the type of players Arsenal need i.e world class players will cost 20m or more and i dont think Wenger will chance his policy.

Hernandez for £6m, Falcao for £3m, Lavezzi was 6m euros, Hamsik was 5.5m euros. etc.

Here mate, players who fail at Old-Firm always move to Championship of Premiership, ie. Lovenkrands, Burke, Charlie Adam, Scot McDonald etc.

i woudn't call mcdonald a fail he was one of celtics best forwards

(via @YoungGunsBlog) "Arsenal are busy. Lille's Frédéric Paquet confirms Arsenal are in 'advanced talks' with Gervinho, although no bid has been accepted."

Still hope that this doesn't a) Block some very promising players coming through (one reason I'm more supportive of signing Samba rather than Cahill, who's 24 and will hold down a place - or try to - for several years, which would inevitably mean Bartley and Miquel didn't get the chances they deserve at Arsenal.)

...And/or b) Represent spending for the sake of it. This squad doesn't need massive investment - wee need to fill a couple of gaps which means a CB and a LF for me, but other than that - we have a superb squad and I think they know how close they were/are to winning something.

Call me naive, but if players stick around until the squad is about 25-7, I firmly believe we will dominate English football at least. This is the 10 year plan - let players reach their peaks and at the same time as having a winning First Team, bring in younger players gradually until they're able to begin to really fight for FT places with the other players providing the experience we lack atm.

(via @YoungGunsBlog) "Arsenal are busy. Lille's Frédéric Paquet confirms Arsenal are in 'advanced talks' with Gervinho, although no bid has been accepted."

Still hope that this doesn't a) Block some very promising players coming through .

thats why we fail every year. we need to buy experianced pro's like samba and gervinho not say sorry we dont want him we have a great 16 year old commming through :(

thats why we fail every year. we need to buy experianced pro's like samba and gervinho not say sorry we dont want him we have a great 16 year old commming through :(

How is Gervinho an experienced pro? He's like 23...
Whats Samba actually done in his career thats made him experienced? Finishing bottom half of the table with Blackburn every year?

You can do better than these players and imo Samba is definately not the way to go.

How is Gervinho an experienced pro? He's like 23...
Whats Samba actually done in his career thats made him experienced? Finishing bottom half of the table with Blackburn every year?

You can do better than these players and imo Samba is definately not the way to go.

won more things than the whole arsenal squad has ;)

Fabregas has a Euro winners medal and a World Cup winners medal.
Clichy has a PL medal as well :)

is it bad when only two of your sqaud has won medals before lol?

It's not about 16 year olds - don't be so naive.

Established and experienced players don't guarantee success and they certainly don't guarantee Long-Term success, which is what we want. I'd rather have that than consistently win trophies for 4 years and then rack up masses of debt and drop out of the big-time again - like Chelsea have done by spending masses of money every window.

Players like Bartley deserve a chance because they undoubtedly have potential - if we sign Gary Cahill for £17M then what happens to him? He rots in the Reserves and buggers off after 2 years because Cahill is 25 - the same age as Vermaelen and Koscielny and will be in the first team for 5 years by which time Bartley's potential is wasted. Look what happens when we give young players a chance - Wilshere, Cesc, Szczensy. I'm not saying never buy anyone - of course we need to sign some first team players, I'm saying let's not go overboard because we've not won a trophy in 6 years.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

is it bad when only two of your sqaud has won medals before lol?

Whereas Samba, of course, has won the CL, PL (x 15,000) and Cahill has the ultimate winning mentality because Bolton did really well in squeaky *** time. They didn't end up 14th after challenging for Europe, and they didn't lose an FA Cup Semi-Final to Stoke 5-0 did they? Oh wait.

i dont want cahill anyway i want samba who is different to what we have

It's not about 16 year olds - don't be so naive.

Established and experienced players don't guarantee success and they certainly don't guarantee Long-Term success, which is what we want. I'd rather have that than consistently win trophies for 4 years and then rack up masses of debt and drop out of the big-time again - like Chelsea have done by spending masses of money every window.

Players like Bartley deserve a chance because they undoubtedly have potential - if we sign Gary Cahill for £17M then what happens to him? He rots in the Reserves and buggers off after 2 years because Cahill is 25 - the same age as Vermaelen and Koscielny and will be in the first team for 5 years by which time Bartley's potential is wasted. Look what happens when we give young players a chance - Wilshere, Cesc, Szczensy. I'm not saying never buy anyone - of course we need to sign some first team players, I'm saying let's not go overboard because we've not won a trophy in 6 years.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Whereas Samba, of course, has won the CL, PL (x 15,000) and Cahill has the ultimate winning mentality because Bolton did really well in squeaky *** time. They didn't end up 14th after challenging for Europe, and they didn't lose an FA Cup Semi-Final to Stoke 5-0 did they? Oh wait.

hello Joss

Again in reference to your statement about Chelsea, I am sure we are spending big because Roman, the top businessman that he is has plans to make sure that at the end of the day we comply with the Financial Fair play rules otherwise i highly doubt he would continue to sanction big money transfers as to put it bluntly, he is smarter than any of us on finance matters and thats why he is at the top....... you can say all u want about how he does not know how to run a football club etc. but at the end of the day, I highly doubt a smart man like Roman would put his money into a field blindly

Just throwing it out there: Players don't have to have medals to their name to be good signings.

hello Joss

Again in reference to your statement about Chelsea, I am sure we are spending big because Roman, the top businessman that he is has plans to make sure that at the end of the day we comply with the Financial Fair play rules otherwise i highly doubt he would continue to sanction big money transfers as to put it bluntly, he is smarter than any of us on finance matters and thats why he is at the top....... you can say all u want about how he does not know how to run a football club etc. but at the end of the day, I highly doubt a smart man like Roman would put his money into a field blindly

Hello.

Again, you're spending big because your youth plan failed after half a season. You realised you were going to struggle to get CL football in the form you were in so instead of trusting players like Bruma and Sturridge as back-up, you signed a £25M David Luiz and a £50M Fernando Torres. I wouldn't really say that's good business sense, personally. Abramovich DOESN'T know how to run a football club. Chelsea are £340m in debt according to their own figures, and reported a loss of £44.4M for this financial year.

He's at the top because he's corrupt: Roman Abramovich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going by that logic, you probably will try to find a way past FFP. Good luck with that, though - I would like nothing more than to see you fail them :)

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Just throwing it out there: Players don't have to have medals to their name to be good signings.

Exactly. Which is why I posted that stuff about Phil Jones and Gary Cahill and Chris Samba before. Everyone says we need a "winning mentality" and that that comes from having experienced winners in your side. None of those players have ever won anything, and Parker - despite his "leadership qualities", has only won an Intertoto Cup and been relegated.

Hello.

Again, you're spending big because your youth plan failed after half a season. You realised you were going to struggle to get CL football in the form you were in so instead of trusting players like Bruma and Sturridge as back-up, you signed a £25M David Luiz and a £50M Fernando Torres. I wouldn't really say that's good business sense, personally. Abramovich DOESN'T know how to run a football club. Chelsea are £340m in debt according to their own figures, and reported a loss of £44.4M for this financial year.

He's at the top because he's corrupt: Roman Abramovich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going by that logic, you probably will try to find a way past FFP. Good luck with that, though - I would like nothing more than to see you fail them :)

ok so by your logic Roman is at the top because he is corrupt, wonder why no one has bothered to bring him down, maybe u should take this to authorities Joss... as if he is the only billionaire with a shady past anyways ;)

Either way if you dont have a business sense you cant make it to the top, corrupt or not and I am sure most of you would agree that nearly every rich man has had to do something shady to climb the rungs of the corporate ladder and I am pretty sure Roman has a back-up plan.... so this is pretty nonsense logic by u 2

Yeah right. Gunners Spending spree. Thats as likely as FM Base going back to white and green. ;)

ok so by your logic Roman is at the top because he is corrupt, wonder why no one has bothered to bring him down, maybe u should take this to authorities Joss... as if he is the only billionaire with a shady past anyways ;)

Either way if you dont have a business sense you cant make it to the top, corrupt or not and I am sure most of you would agree that nearly every rich man has had to do something shady to climb the rungs of the corporate ladder and I am pretty sure Roman has a back-up plan.... so this is pretty nonsense logic by u 2

How is it nonsense? I've said he's corrupt, you're apparently accepting that statement and yet I'm being illogical? Ermm...

Of course he has good business sense. He did very well in his smuggling business. Doesn't mean he knows how to run a football club does it? Sooner or later - especially with FFP coming in (I really don't see what "back-up plan" he might have, but if it helps you to clutch at unrealistic straws of hope, go for it) - the heavy investment he's put into Chelsea over the past 7 years will backfire on him, and Chelsea and he'll have to slow it down if not stop throwing piles of cash around Chelsea completely. Then what? Fall back on your trusty Youth plan? How's that going by the way? Lots of promising home-grown youngsters ready to step up into the first team in 2/3 years? Not going to be blocked at all by the expensive signings you keep making?

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Yeah right. Gunners Spending spree. Thats as likely as FM Base going back to white and green. ;)

No one ever mentioned anything about a Summer Spending Spree. He said it will be a 'busy' summer, something Arsene has said before. Players coming and going doesn't equate to a mass exodus or a Chelsea-style panic buying spree.

Back