Gunning for Glory ~ My Guide to Managing Arsenal

• Thread starter Thread starter Scotty98TR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 79K
Valdir de Moraes has retired, who is better? I tend always to get Tassotti, but Baresi seems to be a bit better, especially in attacking, but tacticly it would be Mauro
View attachment 292588
I will post some screens of my financies later accordind to the amount I have spent to get all my stars, and it was no cheating :) so which one? 4-2-3-1View attachment 292591
wow how much did that team cost..

I just finished my first season with Arsenal. It was my first time having a proper go at FM13 so I wanted to take it as cautious as possible. I have one of the updates (forget which one but it's one of the two popular ones) to the database and haven't touched anything myself. Thankfully most of my gripes had already been addressed such as Akpom's height, Jenkinson's nationality and how good Gibbs is! He's rated at 4 star potential but I feel it might be higher when I get it up there. Fellaini even changes between 4 and 4.5 stars.

Anyway in the first season my transfers were pretty "simple" (for what needed to be done):

2012/2013
- Marouane Fellaini: 22m - I know I overpaid but everyone had bid and I don't like paying more than 100k in wages to begin with. He's one of my favourites and been buying him for a few years on FM now.
- Vegard Forren: 6m - Again, a little expensive, but he was well worth it. Suits my tactics to a T when playing better sides (A)
- David Ospina: 2.4m - Needed a backup because I sold or loaned all my backup keepers.
- Mason Bennett: 2.2m - Just to build up my reserve squad depth and hope he fulfills his potential.

2012/2013 January:
- Stevan Jovetic: +10m - I bought him during the 1st season in January. He was transfer listed and it kept dropping and I couldn't resist.
- Paul Pogba: Loan - I really wanted him to stick it up Manure plus to have a backup to Wilshere/Fellaini depending on opponent.

2013/2014:
- Wilifried Zaha: 11m - Needed a replacement winger for Gervinho.
- Memphis Depay: 12m - Future "#9" (he'll be wearing 14 because 9 is Akpom's :wub:)
- Raphael Varane: +10m - He was transfer listed the only one with Jovetic (the rest I paid premium).
- Paul Pogba: 10m - Made that loan permanent (A)
- Luke Shaw: 6m - Future left back for England / Arsenal!

All my wages are under 100k except for Cazorla who has his till 2018 and is on 120k. I'm going to wait till Cazorla's almost runs out and decide what I do with him. When he leaves the squad I will allow people to earn more than 100k but no more than 150k. I want to run the club similar to Arsenal. Most of the funds I've had to play towards players is largely thanks to the exits and also being good on wages. Club looks healthy, all facilities been upgraded slowly but unfortunately still manage to watch idly by as Manure signs Neymar, Dede, Alaba, etc!). My aim is to get all of the decent youth of Arsenal in the first team and give them their rightful squad numbers like Akpom #9, Gnabry #11, Oxlade-Chamberlain #7 (Rosicky leaving this year anyway), Gibbs #3, Jenkinson #2, Ramsey #8, Cesc #4.... ^^)

Anyway I finished 3rd in my first season!

View attachment 299541

Key performers:

View attachment 299537 View attachment 299538 View attachment 299539

Some wunderegens!

View attachment 299536 View attachment 299540

Some of the highlights of the season!

View attachment 299543 View attachment 299544 View attachment 299542

Around December in my second season and so far I'm 1st and only lost one game from my first 12! All the goals and play looks great now that everyone is kind of in tune both with the tactics and just the rotation itself (unfortunately had to sell Diaby as I couldn't rely on him nor could I let him lose match fitness on bench to the point he's useless). So Fellaini, Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey and Coquelin worked for the first season. Replacing Pogba with Coquelin for the extra height and the one up on United was about all that's changed about my midfield in the two seasons. I'm hoping to sign a classy right back for next year and let Sagna go. Jenkinson has 4-star potential and I signed Kenny Tete as a 16yo but I'm really wanting someone of quality even if he's in his 30s but doesn't earn as much as Sagna so I can bench him and use Jenkinson more (hopefully will be 3 stars current rating by end of season he's currently 2.5 with 4 potential as mentioned earlier). Might even look at Clyne as he can also play as 3rd choice LB.

For anyone interested I'm using 4-2-1-3, 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-4-2 depending on the opposition and current players available.

Last edited:
SORRY TO EVERYONE FOR NOT REPLYING, IT'S BECAUSE PEOPLE COMMENTING ON THIS DOESN'T SHOW UP IN MY NOTIFICATIONS, SO IF YOU WANT TO ASK ME ANYTHING/WANT A REPLY YOU'LL HAVE TO QUOTE SOMETHING I HAVE COMMENTED :D

Great guide. I've not played as Arsenal since FM11 so looking forward to seeing how I do with them. I've already bought Baines and Demba Ba, as well as offloaded Chamakh, Mannone on loan and Andre Santos, so a pretty successful pre-season so far!

Sounds a good bit of transfer business there, Ba is quality (I didn't get him but on my Newcastle save he was amazing). Don't ignore Gibbs though, one of the world's best Left-Backs on my Arsenal save! :D

Quality mate. Could you perhaps check out my Spurs guide? It took a while so feedback would be much appreciated. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...sion/111525-tottenham-hotspur-club-guide.html :) Thanks

Reading this made me feel sick :'( Horrible stuff ;) :P

Seriously though, that is a fantastic guide, especially the transfers section and the layout with the player-pictures! Great work mate :D

Thankfully most of my gripes had already been addressed such as Akpom's height, Jenkinson's nationality and how good Gibbs is! He's rated at 4 star potential but I feel it might be higher when I get it up there. Fellaini even changes between 4 and 4.5 stars.

Anyway in the first season my transfers were pretty "simple" (for what needed to be done):

2013/2014:
- Wilifried Zaha: 11m - Needed a replacement winger for Gervinho.
- Raphael Varane: +10m - He was transfer listed the only one with Jovetic (the rest I paid premium).
- Paul Pogba: 10m - Made that loan permanent (A)
- Luke Shaw: 6m - Future left back for England / Arsenal!

All my wages are under 100k except for Cazorla who has his till 2018 and is on 120k. I'm going to wait till Cazorla's almost runs out and decide what I do with him. When he leaves the squad I will allow people to earn more than 100k but no more than 150k. I want to run the club similar to Arsenal. Most of the funds I've had to play towards players is largely thanks to the exits and also being good on wages. Club looks healthy, all facilities been upgraded slowly but unfortunately still manage to watch idly by as Manure signs Neymar, Dede, Alaba, etc!). My aim is to get all of the decent youth of Arsenal in the first team and give them their rightful squad numbers like Akpom #9, Gnabry #11, Oxlade-Chamberlain #7 (Rosicky leaving this year anyway), Gibbs #3, Jenkinson #2, Ramsey #8, Cesc #4.... ^^)

Anyway I finished 3rd in my first season!

View attachment 299541

Key performers:

View attachment 299537 View attachment 299538 View attachment 299539

Some wunderegens!

View attachment 299536 View attachment 299540

Some of the highlights of the season!

View attachment 299543 View attachment 299544 View attachment 299542

Around December in my second season and so far I'm 1st and only lost one game from my first 12! All the goals and play looks great now that everyone is kind of in tune both with the tactics and just the rotation itself (unfortunately had to sell Diaby as I couldn't rely on him nor could I let him lose match fitness on bench to the point he's useless). So Fellaini, Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey and Coquelin worked for the first season. Replacing Pogba with Coquelin for the extra height and the one up on United was about all that's changed about my midfield in the two seasons. I'm hoping to sign a classy right back for next year and let Sagna go. Jenkinson has 4-star potential and I signed Kenny Tete as a 16yo but I'm really wanting someone of quality even if he's in his 30s but doesn't earn as much as Sagna so I can bench him and use Jenkinson more (hopefully will be 3 stars current rating by end of season he's currently 2.5 with 4 potential as mentioned earlier). Might even look at Clyne as he can also play as 3rd choice LB.

For anyone interested I'm using 4-2-1-3, 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-4-2 depending on the opposition and current players available.

Yeah, as I've said, Gibbs is amazing for me, he's always been my first choice LB, but Muniesa is a quality backup.

Zaha is really under-rated in the game, never performed for my Newcastle team although for some people he has been great (Although I personally thing he is massively over-rated irl!)

Some quality transfers in there though, Shaw and Varane especially. Both should become world-class :)

What role/position did you play Cazorla in? Impressive assists :D

Solid first-season, I'd suggest trying to sort out the defense though, think that's the weak point :D

Yeah, Jenkinson should come good, progressed great in my first 2 seasons, injury and a regen have held him back abit since then though for me :)

I have avoided the Fellaini and Baines lure for my arsenal save and have decided to go with Monreal (he is quite good) and Sissoko (a bargain imo). Also have bought in Leno (48 month deal), San Jose, Tiote and Ba. I did sell Chamakh, Arshavin, Santos, Mannone, and a few others and will be moving at least 7 more on at the end of the season.

I have avoided the Fellaini and Baines lure for my arsenal save and have decided to go with Monreal (he is quite good) and Sissoko (a bargain imo). Also have bought in Leno (48 month deal), San Jose, Tiote and Ba. I did sell Chamakh, Arshavin, Santos, Mannone, and a few others and will be moving at least 7 more on at the end of the season.

Yeah, Monreal is really good, but obviously this was made before we bought him :)

Yeah, Monreal is really good, but obviously this was made before we bought him :)

I know, I only just got the update yesterday. Also Leno is amazing but very expensive at £17m hence the 48 month deal for him. Worth it though

Hi, I could use some advice for my Arsenal team. Last season I finished 3rd in the league, 4 more points and I would have won, but I did win the Euro. Currently in 2nd season, not doing awful but am in 3rd, 11-14 points behind Chelsea, who are undefeated. I made the terrible, terrible mistake of selling them Giroud, I wanted a little more money but he has been stellar for them, and I have found myself needing a striker many times this season, as I have been having a lot of injury problems.

In season 1 Cavani won the scoring title (23) and Cazorla the assist title (22). This season Cazorla has been mostly injured and isn't as effective now, and Cavani went goalless for a good 2 months (recently he finally started scoring again).

My squad overall is on the young side and I feel like I could use a good veteran attacking player. I also need a right back, Sagna is coming off a 3-4 month injury and I have been having to play Phil Jones there for most of this season (has done reasonably well). My main purchase this season was Javi Martinez, who somehow played terribly for Bayern and I was able to snag him, he has literally single-handedly carried my team through multiple games this season.
Potential targets I have for next season include: Pastore (if I can afford), Jovetic, or one of United's attacking players (Gotze, Kagawa, or maybe even Rooney; United is doing very poor and a lot of their team currently wants to leave).

The tactic I have shown here is not the one I always use, I shuffle between my 3 formations fairly often (maybe too much) and interchange the mentalities for all of them (I use counter, standard, and attacking)
View attachment 317602
View attachment 317603
View attachment 317604

Last edited:
What exactly do you want advise on? :)

Really just player reccomendations for next season, or any other general advice you might be able to glean from reading my post. I just feel like I should be doing better

I hate not being able to sell all the deadwood in the beginning of the season cause they're out on loan :(

Really just player reccomendations for next season, or any other general advice you might be able to glean from reading my post. I just feel like I should be doing better

I can't really see enough of your tactics to help, but I'd put Cavani as a CF, and don't play Isco on the wing. Put him in the centre as a Treq. and Cazorla as an attacking winger. Bender definitely isn't an advanced playmaker, and even if he was you have 3 APs in your team! That leaves no space, so only have one. Put Bender as a DM!

Finally, as you said you need a new RB, but I also think you need a new RW, as the Ox has a low average rating :) Try getting Corchia or Peruzzi. There may also be a good regen RB - I got one at the start of the second season who became my first choice RB. (Where is Jenkinson though?) For RW, try get Ben Arfa or Navas :D

I can't really see enough of your tactics to help, but I'd put Cavani as a CF, and don't play Isco on the wing. Put him in the centre as a Treq. and Cazorla as an attacking winger. Bender definitely isn't an advanced playmaker, and even if he was you have 3 APs in your team! That leaves no space, so only have one. Put Bender as a DM!

Finally, as you said you need a new RB, but I also think you need a new RW, as the Ox has a low average rating :) Try getting Corchia or Peruzzi. There may also be a good regen RB - I got one at the start of the second season who became my first choice RB. (Where is Jenkinson though?) For RW, try get Ben Arfa or Navas :D

That ss of my tactics probably wasn't the best to show, since it isn't the one I usually use. Also the roles are completely innaccurate, I was only posting that picture to show my squad, I certainly have never played Bender as an AP. I play Bender as a DM 99% of the time that I use him, he was the main reason I had the best defense in the league last year. Also I try to play Isco as AMC but have been forced to put him on the wing lately since Walcott is injured, and Cazorla seems to get exhausted after one game. And I got rid of Jenkinson, I know people say he gets better but I didn't play him much last season and he had a few games below 6.0, so I got rid of him.
Thanks for the tips though, I will try Isco as a trequartista, I haven't even done that yet I've only had him as AP-Attack, and often Cazorla is in the same role which is less than ideal.

For my right back, I actually already have a regen with 5 star potential who looks promising, but I was going to put him on loan for a bit first. How soon do you think I should start using him?

View attachment 317664

Last edited:
That ss of my tactics probably wasn't the best to show, since it isn't the one I usually use. Also the roles are completely innaccurate, I was only posting that picture to show my squad, I certainly have never played Bender as an AP. I play Bender as a DM 99% of the time that I use him, he was the main reason I had the best defense in the league last year. Also I try to play Isco as AMC but have been forced to put him on the wing lately since Walcott is injured, and Cazorla seems to get exhausted after one game. And I got rid of Jenkinson, I know people say he gets better but I didn't play him much last season and he had a few games below 6.0, so I got rid of him.
Thanks for the tips though, I will try Isco as a trequartista, I haven't even done that yet I've only had him as AP-Attack, and often Cazorla is in the same role which is less than ideal.

For my right back, I actually already have a regen with 5 star potential who looks promising, but I was going to put him on loan for a bit first. How soon do you think I should start using him?

View attachment 317664

He hasn't got very good attributes to be honest (To play straight away I mean), so he probably won't be starting for a year or so until he develops. Maybe try get an RB who is already well-developed, that you can use for a few years until the regen develops? :)

really good guide for ARSENAL!!!!!! :) can you do one for inter milan too please

Have anyone tried playing koscielny on LB? I played Koscielny as my LB and vermaelen and mertesacker as CB. On my 2nd season, the champions cup dream team, for the 4 defenders, they are all mine. Koscielny best LB, verm and mertesacker best 2 CB and corchia best RB :) you don't really have to use Gibbs and in fact I don't like using him because I like consistency and so his injuiry issue is so annoying. Koscielny should last for at least 4 seasons as a LB before he declines so I guess not much of a problem :) I think you should be able to even find/develop a LB by then. After all, I did develop a CM wonderkid in 1 season to replace arteta :)

Back