Harry Redknapp Named Barclays Manager of the year

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 5K
Well, I'm not going to argue against this, for obvious reasons, but I can see some valid points from people. I think the reason Moyes didn't get it, and 'Arry did is because when Everton got 4th, there wasn't a team like Man City, who spent shed loads of money, and were beaten to 4th by a team that weren't expected to reach it. Moyes did do an amazing job that season, but his competition wasn't as hard. I don't think Hodgson should get it this year, because it's the premier league award, if it was the European manager award, then yes, I believe Hodgson should have won that, but in fairness, Fulham's premier league results were not spectacular.

In actual fact, Owen Coyle surely must be in with a shout? I'll probably get slated for this, But Bolton were down and out before he came, I think?

Well yeah but it's not as if he doesn't have the squad to win the league...

Hodgson and McLeish have done wonderful jobs for the teams they manage

what has hodgson done to deserve manager of the year this season? (bar euroope, obviously)

well i am going to shock some people

but i would of gone for Ancelotti

If Chelsea win there next 2 games. theyve done the domestic double for the 1st time ever. All that in his first season.

Can't agree with that Scott.

Ancelotti has a great squad and hasn't really dominated the PremierLeague and if Ronaldo was at United I honestly think the title race would be very different, and for a team like Birmingham to finish in the top half, thats a shock and McLeish is definatley a contender.

In actual fact, Owen Coyle surely must be in with a shout? I'll probably get slated for this, But Bolton were down and out before he came, I think?

it may seem like that but, correct me if im wrong but did sky sports or somebody not publish something pointing out that with thier old manager in charge Bolton picked up i think 18 points from 18 games, with Coyle also picked up 18 from 18 he would've been in with a far bigger shout if he had stayed at Burnley and fought his way somewhere respectable with them tbh.

Just to clarify, I don't think Redknapp deserved the award the most.

Now... my first reaction.. anger!

Due to the fact that Big Eck has done AMAZING things with Blues this season, barring the miracle results of Stoke winning at Old Trafford and Blackburn winning at Villa Park we are set to finish in our best place in 41 years having only just been promoted, epic season!

Although... credit is due where credits earned, Harry has done a fantastic job to get Spurs into that 4th spot, The Yids have been wanting that illusive 4th spot in years, and he's finally broke that barrier, they took advantage of the fact that Liverpool had a shocking season, but had to hold off a massive fight from the stubborn well organised Villa and money spending "got no where" Man City, well done to him, well done to spurs, and good luck next season, i always support the British teams in Europe "excluding the scum" Rapid Vienna this season wooo :P XD

I would then turn my attention to another manager for the award obviously Roy Hodgson. But he hasn't exactly excelled in the "Barclay's Premier League" which im guessing the assumption of the award is based, they have had a great season in terms of coping with fighting for a top 10 finish and getting so far in the Europa League. Again deserves a lot of praise, if it was for overall performance i would definitely put Roy at the top of the list. Again Good Luck next season!

If Ancelotti does the double then God knows what he'll have to do in future to actually win it let alone get a mention.

Sure he's inherited a good squad but it's his first season, totally different style of football from Serie A, language adaptation, formation etc.

This is an absolute travesty. Surely this should have gone to Brian Laws?

Well yeah but it's not as if he doesn't have the squad to win the league...

Hodgson and McLeish have done wonderful jobs for the teams they manage

So the eventual winner, Redknapp - He had the squad at hand to fnish fourth, probably the strongest squad out of all the 4th place runners. Your point = Null and void.

My choice:
McLeish
Ancelotti
Hodgson

If Ancelotti does the double then God knows what he'll have to do in future to actually win it let alone get a mention.

Sure he's inherited a good squad but it's his first season, totally different style of football from Serie A, language adaptation, formation etc.

Good point, however...

in my opinion none of the top teams have excelled this season, as backed up by nearly all the pundits that think the "big teams" have had the gap closed by the teams chasing them. yes if you gain the double, brilliant achievement, no one can deny you that, will cap off a successful season.

although...

Chelsea are expected to obtain a trophy, and be up there if not win the league every season, Ancelloti has put Chelsea back on the right track.

my massive argument against the likes of Sir Alex, Ancellotti, Wenger, Benitez :$ ever winning these sorts of accolades is you have a lot of glory, they have a lot of glory "most seasons" the likes of Hodgson, McLeish, Moyes, do exceptional jobs with less resources and less success. They deserve a pat on the back surely?!

Avram Grant deserves a mention. :$

Good point, however...

in my opinion none of the top teams have excelled this season, as backed up by nearly all the pundits that think the "big teams" have had the gap closed by the teams chasing them. yes if you gain the double, brilliant achievement, no one can deny you that, will cap off a successful season.

although...

Chelsea are expected to obtain a trophy, and be up there if not win the league every season, Ancelloti has put Chelsea back on the right track.

my massive argument against the likes of Sir Alex, Ancellotti, Wenger, Benitez :$ ever winning these sorts of accolades is you have a lot of glory, they have a lot of glory "most seasons" the likes of Hodgson, McLeish, Moyes, do exceptional jobs with less resources and less success. They deserve a pat on the back surely?!

Well for the past 3 seasons Fergie has won it each time for guiding United to the League title. What's different about this year? Remember back in '06 when Reading came up from the Championship and finished 8th? A bit like what Birmingham are doing but with less resources, yet Fergie won it still. That was only the League title alone. To do a domestic double and not win it I find quite odd. Without a doubt the managers of Everton, Villa, Birmingham etc deserve a lot of praise for what they have achieved but if I was Ancelotti and had won the domestic double in my first season I would find it disrespectful to not even to get a mention.

(I know we haven't won the double yet, just saying if it was to happen)

Well for the past 3 seasons Fergie has won it each time for guiding United to the League title. What's different about this year? Remember back in '06 when Reading came up from the Championship and finished 8th? A bit like what Birmingham are doing but with less resources, yet Fergie won it still. That was only the League title alone. To do a domestic double and not win it I find quite odd. Without a doubt the managers of Everton, Villa, Birmingham etc deserve a lot of praise for what they have achieved but if I was Ancelotti and had won the domestic double in my first season I would find it disrespectful to not even to get a mention.

Then yes, i agree if they already give it to Fergie all the time, then why not Ancellotti!
I just dont think it should be down to winning the league, or silverware success.
It should be down to season expectations, compared to season finish!

To give the managers that dont achieve the heights of Fergie, Carlo and Arshole a chance of success.

To be fair although, like ancelloti, ferguson had a very good squad when he won the league and the the manager of the year award in those seasons. He built the squad he won it with. Chelseas current squad is pretty much the same as last time you won it and the main additions to it weren't bought by ancelloti.

If you do win the double it will be a fantastic acheivment by ancelotti not taking anything away from him but it's probably fairer to give it to someone like McLeish who has done very well with limited resources.

Ferguson probably only deserved it once out of those seasons when we won the league, european cup double.

Last edited:
Can't agree with that Scott.

Ancelotti has a great squad and hasn't really dominated the PremierLeague and if Ronaldo was at United I honestly think the title race would be very different, and for a team like Birmingham to finish in the top half, thats a shock and McLeish is definatley a contender.

still he inherited a squad which finished 3rd last year. they where a reck last year.

Get in there Arry. Shocked really but he has done a triffic job. Could be the fact they are buttering him up for the England job if Capello decides to leave after the World cup. Just a thought.

What Roy Hodgson has done for Fulham is fantastic. From almost being relegated to Europa league finalists in a space of about 3 years is fantastic !

Get in there Arry. Shocked really but he has done a triffic job. Could be the fact they are buttering him up for the England job if Capello decides to leave after the World cup. Just a thought.

I fear the day he becomes England manager

Back