HBQ's "Messi Barca Tactic" (originally for FM11), working great on FM13

gibbo101

Reaction score
Hi all, after failing miserably with the Swansea 2-2-2-2 assymertric tactic on the latest patch I went back and tried out an old FM11 tactic by HBQ (from this site). I'd like to credit HBQ for this tactic, it's 100% his (apart form ticking corners to near post) but it has brought my rediculously weak Bournemouth Squad promotion to the Premiership and after 24 games I'm sitting pretty in 9th with a team I would expect to have been relegated 20th.

Link to original tactic thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...training/70762-my-messi-barcelona-tactic.html

Formation: Its a 2-3-2-3 or 5-2-3.
2hcdq37.png

Players:
GK: Standard

DC's - Fast and physical are ideal as a high D-line is used.

WB's - These guys provide your width and link up with the STL and STR. I'd prioritise defensive traits over offensive so you don't get caught on the break so much.

CM's and DM - Ideally you need midfield destroyers here. The cm's and dm break up play and thread simple balls to the strikers / WB's. The key to your defensive success lies here.

STCL - This guy is essentially a Poacher. Matt Tubbs is still ripping apart teams at Prem level in this spot.

STCR - Essentially a winger. A more technical striker should go here.

STC - You need a creative technical striker here. This is the "messi" role and he will roam into space created by the other 2 strikers, breaking forward with through balls to either score or perfectly set up your supporting strikers. I use Jonathon Viera here who has scored 15, assissted 17 in 30 apps.

Viera in STC role:
2888o4z.png

Matt Tubbs as STCL:
2rc25qp.png

Fixtures:
2qld46x.png

Table:
2it0d1c.png

When the tactic works best:
15qc679.png

sbhv0g.png

OI's: Leave to *** man or turn off

Pitch Size: Maximum

Match Prep: Teamwork

Notes:
- You'll notice my defence is leaky and there are some rather embarrassing defeats in my fixture list. Being my first prem season this is a result of (1) Not having the correct players at my disposal (2) Probably employing the wrong team talks (3) Simply being overpowered by a far superior team.
- The amount of own goals the AI has scored for me is actually quite comical. Never before have I seen a tactic pressure AI defenders so much that they regularly conceede own goals.

Download Link:

File Factory: Barca__Barcelona__Nov_2010_.tac - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Media Fire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/72fz8ey8z9n2292/Barca__Barcelona__Nov_2010_.tac

As with any tactic, you will need to let it bed in for a few games before it starts to work.

Edit: New defensive tweaks
http://www.mediafire.com/?gwabz0wz4zynnmc

Defensive Line: Dropped to the last notch of normal (before it changes to Push Up)
Keeper: Sweeper Keeper Defend
Defending Corner Set Pieces alteredMatch Prep: Defend Set pieces
I have found these tweaks make my defence more stable, stifle the amount of chances the opposition have and also creates more space for your front trio to cause havoc as the opposition is more stretched where they are pushing up more.

Last edited:
did you use this tactic all the way up to the premiership?

Barca ??? 40% possession ? Hum....

He means the 5 CCCs per game, not possession. Emulate Barca in the game is almost impossible since you cannot have slow tempo and a lot of passing with 5 or 6 CCCs, all in one game, game after game, season after season.

And these are away results

I loved this tactic on FM11, and it works on FM13 too! tried it with Everton half way through my save and had good results and then tried it with Barca and had good results. lots of CCC's with my Everton save every game, probably atleast 4-5 a game, only i dont have great strikers so didnt really punish the opposition, Barca is too easy with this tactic Messi is a beast! if you want a easy successful save with Barca this is your tactic! Gonna start a new season with Everton, ill post my results.

Barca ??? 40% possession ? Hum....

Possession is nothing compared to the CCC's you get each game, i'd rather have alot of CCC's than Possesion any day, with the right players this tactic can be one of the best.

I want to try this but can some1 give me some teams to use it with? so many teams have a big TM striker and AML/AMRs that would go to waste.

I want to try this but can some1 give me some teams to use it with? so many teams have a big TM striker and AML/AMRs that would go to waste.

try tottenham! adebayor is more than a TM. Bale is awesome at WBL and you just have to sell lennon

being so offensive, does it still manage to be solid at the back?
Its quite good at the back, i wouldnt say the best but if you score more goals than your opponent and your laughing, i havnt tried it for long enough on FM13 yet so couldnt really comment on that question yet.

I've been trying this with my Cambridge Squad. 9 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss...and that was against Crystal Palace away in the JPT where I should have played more defensive. 38 goals for, 19 against. Some crazy scorelines, i.e. 6-3 and 5-4. You need a very quick back line otherwise it's a struggle. But the forward play is very, very good!

View attachment 286282
This is my first competitive game in charge of Barcelona, and as you can see 5 CCC's 5 goals and Messi having an easy run out, absaloute quality is all i can say!
View attachment 286283
This is my 2nd game n yet again showing why this tactic is the best arround!, Messi 'a one man show' the rewards out of this are unreal. I can see Messi hitting the 100 goal mark in 1 season at this rate, which is what i got with the same tactic on FM11, i think i got 106 goals in all competitions with him in one season!.

Last edited:
Wow, very impressive, even for Messi and Barca! I may give it a tinker with a higher standard team to see how it fares as well.

Do you have the original tactic? The link doesn`t work in the original post, can u upload the original tactic too , pls ?