Help setting up 5-3-2 (SW, Wing Backs, AMC and 2 strikers)

Goldenboy13

Reaction score
Hi all i was wondering if anyone has had any luck setting up a 3-5-2 tactic
i have tried but its seem to be an impossible task for me :-(
I
would like this sort of shape:

--------SW-------
----CB------CB---
RWB---------LWB
---DLP-----BWM--
-------AMC--------
---DLP------P------

The problem i have is the tactic can beso inconsistant, i struggle with the SW settings and CB, (i always get caught out with quick strikers), I dont seem to be in control of games, if i do win it looks like i won by luck more than a deserved win...the wing backs are always out numbered and when my Mid steps in to help out it leaves a massive gap in the Mid for a simple pass..

can anyone help please?

ps: my prefered way of playing is Rigid/Very Rigid, Counter Attacking or Control, no or limited creative freedom, direct or short passing is ok.

Last edited:
Thats scary, i have the exact set up and player duties as this.

I have set it up with high tempo, short passing and man marking with more roaming. Play it as either attacking fluid or balanced fluid and tend to retain possession when at home. Using it with Napoli to great effect at the moment. Top of the league just past January by 4 points. Semi-final of the italian cup (still in it) and knockout rounds of Europa League (still in it) Set new club record of 9 wins in a row.

haha great minds think a like!! what about defensive line? and pressure and tackling?? are your wing backs set to attack or support? also did you set up any indiviudal player instruction or is defaulted to team setting?

Id just go for a flat back three and set the middle CB to cover... Consistency seems to come with playing and changing the setup to combat problems you see Id recommend watching 3 or 4 full games and keep an eye on whats going on...

I would play pretty wide with a normal DF line and have everyone bar your CFs close down in own half and probably ensure that the DF and MF all stick to position...
Im kind of a system manager I tend to play the same system with every team I just change the formation and make some slight changes to the system depending on the formation and personnel...

I am also trying the same as you guys. I just have a anchorman instead of the SW.. But it is not working out at all for me..
Im at the point of giving up!...

But let me know if you hit the jackpot.. :)

I am also trying the same as you guys. I just have a anchorman instead of the SW.. But it is not working out at all for me..
Im at the point of giving up!...

But let me know if you hit the jackpot.. :)

FM is awkward see you can understand things perfectly IRL but translating it to FM is the issue... And I found this issue with 3 man backlines FM has not favoured this system in the past so you have to find your own way to make it work... I finally figured out how to set up a 3 man back line properly by actually playing a 41212 (442 Narrow Diamond DM/CM/CM/AM)...
I do this at AC Milan because the AC I use to watched played that way... Anyway as the tactic evolved I started to notice in attack my team resembled a 3-4-3... My DM slotted in beside the two CBs, my FBs (set to WB attack) aggressively pushed high up the pitch and attacked as wingers, my CMs and CFs acted as you would expect and my AMC pushed right up beside my 2CFs...
So naturally what I did was moved my team around to match this except I left the AMC where he was because I like to play with an AMC (almost all my tactics I have revolves around this position)... I ended up with a 3412 using Wide MFs instead of WBs...
I like to try different formations and this is why because you discover different things the biggest thing I learned was how to create a successful 3 man backline but I also learned two other things...
1. If you want to make a Libero consider this in some ways the Libero has evolved into the DLP (DM/DLP/Defend) so understanding that role makes it easier to implement it IMO...
2. The wide players... this to me the most critical part of your team and getting the right guys is absolutely crucial your tactic it wont work unless you get the two best guys available... I learned how important two brilliant FBs can be in last years game if you get two guys good enough you dont need wingers which allows you to get extra men where you need them... This FB thing can translate to WBs and WMFs as well...

Just try out different things its the best way to go in the long run you will be better prepared to deal with the updates and future if you have a good understanding of how different things work... I also think you're focusing on the wrong area out wide is were I would concentrate and Id pretty much ditch the SW...

Hey Goldenboy did you try my formation?
How did it go?

FM is awkward see you can understand things perfectly IRL but translating it to FM is the issue... And I found this issue with 3 man backlines FM has not favoured this system in the past so you have to find your own way to make it work... I finally figured out how to set up a 3 man back line properly by actually playing a 41212 (442 Narrow Diamond DM/CM/CM/AM)...
I do this at AC Milan because the AC I use to watched played that way... Anyway as the tactic evolved I started to notice in attack my team resembled a 3-4-3... My DM slotted in beside the two CBs, my FBs (set to WB attack) aggressively pushed high up the pitch and attacked as wingers, my CMs and CFs acted as you would expect and my AMC pushed right up beside my 2CFs...
So naturally what I did was moved my team around to match this except I left the AMC where he was because I like to play with an AMC (almost all my tactics I have revolves around this position)... I ended up with a 3412 using Wide MFs instead of WBs...
I like to try different formations and this is why because you discover different things the biggest thing I learned was how to create a successful 3 man backline but I also learned two other things...
1. If you want to make a Libero consider this in some ways the Libero has evolved into the DLP (DM/DLP/Defend) so understanding that role makes it easier to implement it IMO...
2. The wide players... this to me the most critical part of your team and getting the right guys is absolutely crucial your tactic it wont work unless you get the two best guys available... I learned how important two brilliant FBs can be in last years game if you get two guys good enough you dont need wingers which allows you to get extra men where you need them... This FB thing can translate to WBs and WMFs as well...

Just try out different things its the best way to go in the long run you will be better prepared to deal with the updates and future if you have a good understanding of how different things work... I also think you're focusing on the wrong area out wide is were I would concentrate and Id pretty much ditch the SW...

thanks for your detailed info.. I played this game for years and i know exactly how this game couldnt cope with 3 CBs in the past.. i am trying few new things right now that i didnt try before, (i.e playing standard and fluid, short passing but with quick tempo) i am crystal palace at the moment.. i have had a very good run of 5 games so far i will update you once i played few more games...

i dont really want to give up with the SW just yet.. but yes I agree with you, i have also had little bit more luck with 3 flat CBs in my FM12 versin i had the them set like this (left to right) Defend Cover, Defend Stopper, Ball playing Cover...

Hey Goldenboy did you try my formation?
How did it go?

hi Kostasq
first of all thank you very much for your help so far...

i have found your tactic in many ways very similar to mine.. as i like to play with flat CM (no DM) I decide to use mine but tweaked and used some of the ideas you had in yours, so what i ended up with was this:

---------SW(D)----------
----CB(D) ----CB(D)----
WBR(A)---------WBL(A)
---BWM(D)----DLP(D)--
---------AMC(A)---------
-----CF(A)-----P(A)-----

Standard Fluid, short passing with high tempo, I change to counter if i am wining..and attack if i am losing at half time, unless i am losing by more than 2 goals in the first half then i switch to attacking in the first half and overload for most of the second half...

so far I have beaten Fulham in my first year (Fa cup- although they were on very low morale) and Swansea in the next round.. I have also played 3 more games in the league and won them all... i am on a good run :) wish me luck!! t
The possession is around 50/50 however i am creating few more CCC now will try to improve that once i am happy with everything else...

i will play few more games and update you again.. I will try and upload some screen shots and possibly my tactic for everyone to view... and the players i bought..

one question : do you really play Gabby as DLP? or do you mean defensive foward?

hi Kostasq

i have found your tactic in many ways very similar to mine.. as i like to play with flat CM (no DM) I decide to use mine but tweaked and used some of the ideas you had in yours, so what i ended up with was this:

---------SW(D)----------
----CB(D) ----CB(D)----
WBR(A)---------WBL(A)
---BWM(D)----DLP(D)--
---------AMC(A)---------
-----CF(A)-----P(A)-----

Standard Fluid, short passing with high tempo, I change to counter if i am wining..and attack if i am losing at half time, unless i am losing by more than 2 goals in the first half then i switch to attacking in the first half and overload for most of the second half...

so far I have beaten Fulham in my first year (Fa cup- although they were on very low morale) and Swansea in the next round.. I have also played 3 more games in the league and won them all... i am on a good run :) wish me luck!! t
The possession is around 50/50 however i am creating few more CCC now will try to improve that once i am happy with everything else...

i will play few more games and update you again.. I will try and upload some screen shots and possibly my tactic for everyone to view... and the players i bought..

one question : do you really play Gabby as DLP? or do you mean defensive foward?

ok the angels in my tactic diagram were not to be angels they should have been A's for attack lol!!!!!

thanks for your detailed info.. I played this game for years and i know exactly how this game couldnt cope with 3 CBs in the past.. i am trying few new things right now that i didnt try before, (i.e playing standard and fluid, short passing but with quick tempo) i am crystal palace at the moment.. i have had a very good run of 5 games so far i will update you once i played few more games...

i dont really want to give up with the SW just yet.. but yes I agree with you, i have also had little bit more luck with 3 flat CBs in my FM12 versin i had the them set like this (left to right) Defend Cover, Defend Stopper, Ball playing Cover...

When I did my flat three I did Stopper/Cover/Stopper... Good luck with the SW I just never had the patience for it and I like to play everyone in their natural positions too so I found it difficult to find a SW I thought would do a job... You probably know more about how it works than me because last year was the first time I actually got one to work properly other years I tried it but always abandoned it after 5 or 6 dodgy games...

Good luck with it anyway it will be interesting if you find something that works because Id love to get something working with a SW/Libero but its probably the most difficult thing to get working in FM... My makeshift system worked great last year but I dont see it working this season Im about to begin a new season so Im going to test my 41212 and then hopefully start to look at a 3412 if I feel confident...

When I did my flat three I did Stopper/Cover/Stopper... Good luck with the SW I just never had the patience for it and I like to play everyone in their natural positions too so I found it difficult to find a SW I thought would do a job... You probably know more about how it works than me because last year was the first time I actually got one to work properly other years I tried it but always abandoned it after 5 or 6 dodgy games...

Good luck with it anyway it will be interesting if you find something that works because Id love to get something working with a SW/Libero but its probably the most difficult thing to get working in FM... My makeshift system worked great last year but I dont see it working this season Im about to begin a new season so Im going to test my 41212 and then hopefully start to look at a 3412 if I feel confident...

Two words: Salvatore Bocchetti :)

the perfect SW!!!

no worries i will update you, it is a hard task but you never know...

hi Kostasq

---------SW(D)----------
----CB(D) ----CB(D)----
WBR(A)---------WBL(A)
---BWM(D)----DLP(D)--
---------AMC(A)---------
-----CF(A)-----P(A)-----

I play him as DLF. He is ****, but I don't have anyone else. Sometimes I use Ireland as an AMC (usually he plays MC),and then I put wellington as a DLF. However I believe he can produce more as a AMC. I have bought Rochina to play DLF but he will arrve in January

Last edited:
Good luck with it anyway it will be interesting if you find something that works because Id love to get something working with a SW/Libero but its probably the most difficult thing to get working in FM...

How about the old 'let Libero man mark opposition's AMC/playmaker' workaround? That somehow worked in FM11 (just 'worked' however. 'twas ugly to set up), as the biggest problem playing with a Libero was to 'move' him up the pitch and getting him connected to your build-up play. Usually, this guy just sat behind your CBs and didn't do anything at all. Setting your Libero as a guard dog for one of your opponent's central players however threw him right into the action. Though his avg rating suffered massively from man marking, hardly ever got those guys higher than 7.5.

Lack of suitable players who feel at least a litte familiar in SW position is another pain in the ***. Anyone ever re-trained young CBs for playing in SW?