History of Tactics- Links to tactics included

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 58K
No problem mate, started to add the more modern tactical changes that the book wasn't up to date with.

Any chance of an up-to-date manchester united tactic, maybe the latest champions league tactic? Can't seem to get mine right...

Any chance of an up-to-date manchester united tactic, maybe the latest champions league tactic? Can't seem to get mine right...

The one where they got out played in the final or the one where they're out this year? I think United aren't too interesting as of late, which is a massive shame so won't add them sorry mate.

meant the times they won it, and what's with the United bashing lol....Did you watch us earlier, played very well. Don't worry mate, i know they're not playing out of this world football, was just hoping you might also be a fan and thus be swayed into making one lol! Never mind :)

meant the times they won it, and what's with the United bashing lol....Did you watch us earlier, played very well. Don't worry mate, i know they're not playing out of this world football, was just hoping you might also be a fan and thus be swayed into making one lol! Never mind :)

I like Man Utd quite a lot as they've always been great to watch, just not recently since they've not been playing the best of football and seem to win 1-0 every game. haha sorry for the utd bashing. :)

This thread is brilliant :)

Out of interest are you going to write about the birth of the 4-2-3-1?

Its impossible to know who created the idea of having your second striker play in the same band as your advanced wingers (or inside forwards) as it was a natural consequence of playing a playmaker as a second striker but Juanma Lillo is often credited with seeing what was happening and being the first to delibrately set his midfield up as a '2-3'.

It is the main tactical system in several countries (Germany and Spain possibly being where it is used most). You could also possibly reference the recent trend for teams to leave their playmaker upfront with their striker when defending with a 4-2-3-1, teams like Real and Dortmund have been using this at times during this season, with Özil for Real and Kagawa for Dortmund staying upfront with the striker.

Bielsa would be an interesting manager to cover, with interesting formations (3-3-1-3 & 4-2-1-3) based on always having one more defender than your opponents have strikers but still not being defensive minded, his use of heavy pressing and midfielders in defence (something Guardiola now uses) is very innovative.

Several Brazilian league teams use (or did use, I don't really watch it) 4-2-2-2's, possibly because of Brazils history of creating great Wing Backs. Santos are also an interesting team to look at, as they use a hybrid of 4-3-3 and the 4-3-1-2(or 4-1-2-1-2) diamond formation.

:)

Last edited:
This thread is brilliant :)

Out of interest are you going to write about the birth of the 4-2-3-1?

Its impossible to know who created the idea of having your second striker play in the same band as your advanced wingers (or inside forwards) as it was a natural consequence of playing a playmaker as a second striker but Juanma Lillo is often credited with seeing what was happening and being the first to delibrately set his midfield up as a '2-3'.

It is the main tactical system in several countries (Germany and Spain possibly being where it is used most). You could also possibly reference the recent trend for teams to leave their playmaker upfront with their striker when defending with a 4-2-3-1, teams like Real and Dortmund have been using this at times during this season, with Özil for Real and Kagawa for Dortmund staying upfront with the striker.

Bielsa would be an interesting manager to cover, with interesting formations (3-3-1-3 & 4-2-1-3) based on always having one more defender than your opponents have strikers but still not being defensive minded, his use of heavy pressing and midfielders in defence (something Guardiola now uses) is very innovative.

Several Brazilian league teams use (or did use, I don't really watch it) 4-2-2-2's, possibly because of Brazils history of creating great Wing Backs. Santos are also an interesting team to look at, as they use a hybrid of 4-3-3 and the 4-3-1-2(or 4-1-2-1-2) diamond formation.

:)

:) Thanks for this reply.

I will write a further part about the changing of the modern game and all the variations of the 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1 is a variant)

Updated, real madrid side of the 1950's. Reasons why catenaccio failed as well.

Sorry I'm asking here cant get on Recreation Tactic: Sacchi's Milan thread.

Do you think your Sacchi's Milan could work at blue square prem level?

Sorry I'm asking here cant get on Recreation Tactic: Sacchi's Milan thread.

Do you think your Sacchi's Milan could work at blue square prem level?

It worked well with San Marino in Serie C2- so id imagine so!

first of all; AWESOME topic mate and I hate to be THAT guy, but Johan Cruijff already played as a false striker in the Rinus Michels teams. So this also was a strikerless formations. (They did play with wingers, but roma and barca nowadays do too)

first of all; AWESOME topic mate and I hate to be THAT guy, but Johan Cruijff already played as a false striker in the Rinus Michels teams. So this also was a strikerless formations. (They did play with wingers, but roma and barca nowadays do too)

Hmm Cruyff I'd call Cruyff a striker, rather than an attacking mid like totti. Theres a bit of a difference between a false no.9 like cruyff and an attacking mid like totti. From the research I did it seems widely agreed that Roma was the first team to play with no recognised striker.

I was just looking at that Barcelona formation from this season and it's amazingly clever.

When i look at that picture i see Seedorf marking Thiago, Zambrotta on Messi, MVB on Fabregas and Abate on Villa. What's clever about it is the movement. If Messi makes a forward run to the inside and Zambrotta follows him, that means Seedorf needs to drop deeper to keep tabs on Thiago who will move forward as Messi does. When Seedorf drops off there's a gap created and suddenly Xavi has a lot of space to control the game.

An alternative Scenario is Messi making the same run, Zambrotta instead concentrating on Thiago to stop the space being created for Xavi, but this scenario is unthinkable from a Milan stand-point, it leaves Messi one on one with Thiago Silva, I know Thiago Silva is good, but it's Messi...

There's almost no way to succeed defensively in that situation, the movement from Barcelona would kill you no matter what you did. Even if Thiago Silva doubles up on Messi with Zambrotta there's a huge space for Fabregas to run in to.

I spent a while thinking about how to defend against it it and i came up with this.
barcebeat.png

It needs some explaining.

The Libero is there primarily to play as a Libero, he's mobile and tidies up after a man in front of him loses his marker.
The three CB's all man mark Messi, Fabregas and David Villa, they follow their every move and never let them out of their sight.
The CDM is there to mark Thiago.
The two wide CM's are simultaneously wide midfielders, and central midfielders. Xavi will roam around deeper on the pitch looking to find space, one CM will mark him depending on which side of the pitch he's on.

I was just looking at that Barcelona formation from this season and it's amazingly clever.

When i look at that picture i see Seedorf marking Thiago, Zambrotta on Messi, MVB on Fabregas and Abate on Villa. What's clever about it is the movement. If Messi makes a forward run to the inside and Zambrotta follows him, that means Seedorf needs to drop deeper to keep tabs on Thiago who will move forward as Messi does. When Seedorf drops off there's a gap created and suddenly Xavi has a lot of space to control the game.

An alternative Scenario is Messi making the same run, Zambrotta instead concentrating on Thiago to stop the space being created for Xavi, but this scenario is unthinkable from a Milan stand-point, it leaves Messi one on one with Thiago Silva, I know Thiago Silva is good, but it's Messi...

There's almost no way to succeed defensively in that situation, the movement from Barcelona would kill you no matter what you did. Even if Thiago Silva doubles up on Messi with Zambrotta there's a huge space for Fabregas to run in to.

I spent a while thinking about how to defend against it it and i came up with this.
barcebeat.png

It needs some explaining.

The Libero is there primarily to play as a Libero, he's mobile and tidies up after a man in front of him loses his marker.
The three CB's all man mark Messi, Fabregas and David Villa, they follow their every move and never let them out of their sight.
The CDM is there to mark Thiago.
The two wide CM's are simultaneously wide midfielders, and central midfielders. Xavi will roam around deeper on the pitch looking to find space, one CM will mark him depending on which side of the pitch he's on.

Looks like a good idea mate!

Thinking of updating this soon. And releasing a new Recreation tactic, does anyone have any suggestions?

Back