How Come You Support The Team(s)

Always been a Maccabi Tel Aviv fan. Was a Ghana fan cause of Pantsil, in 2006 WC goal celebration, then from Ghana grew to love Essien, which turned into Chelsea.

Being across the pond, I had choice in who to like, and disliked Arsenal, so Chelsea was an easy choice

Got into the sport very late in life. I was introduced to it by World Cup 98 when I was like 10, and I one of the teams I liked playing as was Australia, with Viduka and Kewell up front. My favorite team was Belgium though, I was a kid and was reading an Indiana Jones book at the time and he was in the Belgian army, so I played as them in the game. Over the next few years I chose Leeds as my team since they had Viduka and Kewell up front and they were one of the few English teams that had players I knew about. I had my friend buy me a Leeds shirt when he was in England, and I still wear it today. In the World Cup 2002, Belgium was still my team (stayed up until 6.30 AM to watch them play Brazil, which was very late at that age for me). I didn't really root that much for the US during the cup but afterwards I realized that they were my country's team and that I had to stick with them through thick and thin.

After Leeds got relegated I couldn't watch or follow them anymore, especially after they went down to League One, so I kind of lost the connection with them. I went to the World Cup in 2006 and saw all the US games, which made me a diehard supporter. After that I started watching a lot more football, before, it would just be the occasional game. I still didn't really feel much of a connection to a pro team though.

When I lived in Argentina though I fell in love with their style of play, both the NT (although they sucked when I was there) and the professional teams. The first team I watched was Boca. I loved their style and Riquelme was great to watch. But I couldn't pick them as a team, not only are the Argentina's biggest team, literally about 60% of Argentines are for Boca (and the rest are for River)...I don't think there is any club in the world that has so much support from its local population. The clubs after Boca and River have very little support in comparison, and I haven't seen anything like it in any other leagues (except maybe in Portugal, but they have 3 big teams). I didn't want to be for River, either, since too many people were for them and then I would be involved in the whole Boca-River thing.

I still wanted to support a big team, though, obviously, and there are the other big 4 in Argentina, Estudiantes, Racing, Independiente, and San Lorenzo. Estudiantes is in La Plata, so that was a no. And San Lorenzo has Wal-Mart as their kit sponsor...that turned me off from them. That left Racing and Independiente. I watched Racing dodge an absolute bullet to not get relegated (during the playoff against Belgrano, the opposing player had beaten the keeper and was wide open in front of the goal and fell down, probably one of the worst moments I've seen in sports), and that kind of made me not like them: I really wanted to see one of the giants get relegated for the first time. I did see Independiente play a few times and liked the style, and I researched their history (and they have a great history, won the most Copa Libertadores) and decided they were my team. I've watched most of their games since, though it depends on circumstances. It's really hard for me to watch their league games now because of the time zone difference, and there is no way to download their games and watch them later (you used to be able to with rojadirecta, and there is an Argentine site, but they never have Independiente games for some reason, and in the case of the Argentine site, if they do it's usually like two weeks later). I've bought two of their shirts and I consider myself a fan, though I guess I'm not a "real" one.

In the MLS I guess I like the Seattle Sounders because I lived there when I was a kid, but I may end up moving somewhere with a team and don't want to get too attached to them yet.

I really admire Arsenal for their fiscal policy and youth and football philosophy...I love the fact that they buy cheap, young players, develop them into greats, and sell some of them for very high prices. They also are the only team in the Prem to play attractive football. So right now, I am a really strong neutral for them, and think it would be great for the game if they started winning trophies.

As for Barca, I'm in awe of them for their youth and football philosophy. The fact that they have 8 youth team players in their starting 11 is incredible, as is the fact that great players can't even play well with them because they don't have Barca DNA (even Villa has been outperformed by Pedro this season) shows the psychic energy this team has. On no other team do you have that type of integration; on any other team in the world you can expect good players to settle in, but for Barca, it takes years to think on the same page as the other players. They play the most beautiful football I have ever seen, and when they are on their day it is absolutely unreal. I really hope they win the Champions League so they can be undeniably remembered as an historic team. They are already, just by the virtue of their performances over the past few seasons, but I want them to get the results too so that no one can deny it.

Unfortunately I have no connection to either club and don't want to be a glory-hunter like all of those American ManU fans I see everywhere. And if/when either one of those clubs abandons their philosophy, I would stop wanting to see them succeed. I would like to adopt a Spanish team, since Spanish football is the only European football I really like, but I've never been to Spain and don't know how to pick one...and even if I did, it would feel artificial. If I ever move to Spain though I'll definitely support the local team.

Started supporting Manchester United back in the 90's. With Beckham, Cantona, Keane, Giggs, Scholes and of course Schmeichel. I loved the way they played back then.

I also have a very soft spot for Everton, because my dad is a Everton fan. We used to watch english football when i was a kid, on every saturday. So he kinda introduced me to the PL, and i've loved english football ever since.

supported man utd cause of my dad back when i was 5 (in the 80s) and have ever since

Well, basically back in 07 I didn't follow soccer at all. I would occasionally watch some Adelaide United on the T.V. and of course I had heard about all the bug European clubs etc. 2 of my friends, one who was a Manure supporter and the other a Liverpool supporter were over at my house when the question came up about who I support. I just told them I support nobody and they were in disbelief at my answer. So they decided to try and tempt me into supporting those two particular clubs. They both spent an hour showing me youtube videos explaining their history and their rivalry etc and at the end I decided to choose Liverpool. From that day I try to stay up and watch every game, I have numerous Liverpool tops, scarfs etc. :D

Born and raised in North london live in east now
Met Ian wright which made me love arsenal even more
David Seaman nearly (so close :D) ran over my sister and gave her a signed autograph and a signed glove

I have support Celtic since i was around 12
Dunno why love the fans hate rangers
love the former players Larsson , Sutton , Neil Lennon etc

Always loved Real i think it's because i have always hated Barca
I love the club really enjoyed going to spain last year and madrid

But Arsenal always comes first

Newcastle 4ever... First came to know and like Newcastle while playing CM back in the 90's against a friend who picked MU and I picked Newcastle because of Shearer... And I became a die hard fan ever since and play CM/FM every year with Newcastle till now...

Born in Falkirk, raised in Bo'ness (for 6 years). So i support Bo'ness because im from there, I support Rangers, because my family are all Rangers fans, but i really didn't care much for football then, especially the EPL, but after moving to the North-East, I had a bigger interest in football, and became a newcastle fan. Nobody really influenced my decision to support Newcastle, i just really liked the team, and have been a fan ever since.

I think because i like newcastle, my dad has a bit of Newcastle fan in him as well, it could be because he hates sunderland, but well.

Last edited:
Support - Liverpool because my dad, follow MK Dons because there my local team and did used to like Real Madrid with Zidane, Figo etc... but after them signing the like's of Ronaldo stealing Alonso from us i have a soft spot for Barca because there football is just SEXY!

I support Leeds cause it was where i was born. I support FC Porto because 70% of my family was born there and it was always our portuguese team. I support Belenenses because its my hometown team and i go to every game, we're in 2nd division now but once we were GIANTS in europe, we eliminated Leverkusen from Euro Cup, Barca and a few more. I like Liverpool cause i have family there and i've been watching lots of games @Anfield.

I support Spurs cos for years I have really enjoyed watching them play, plus my dad has been a Spurs fan all his life

Started supporting Liverpool when i was 6-7 because everyone at my primary school supported Manchester United and i wanted to be different. It was the best decision that i have made in my life, the history, the atmosphere and the camaraderie with the other Liverpool fans is just incredible.

Dad's a Hearts fan, stay near Edinburgh. Blah Blah Blah.

Started supporting Liverpool when i was 6-7 because everyone at my primary school supported Manchester United and i wanted to be different. It was the best decision that i have made in my life, the history, the atmosphere and the camaraderie with the other Liverpool fans is just incredible.
Debateable, depending on what decade you were 6-7 :p

Born and raised Southampton so support them but I do follow Arsenal and Reading. Arsenal simply 'cos my Uncle took me to a load of games when I was younger and I witnessed Bergkamps first 2 goals for them and Reading 'cos I used to work at Madjeski stadium and was there the season they got promoted to the Prem :D

Since i'm from Slovenia, where our club football is pretty ****, i never really got much into football till 2005 when i started to support Liverpool, mainly because of Steven Gerrard. I loved it when they won the champions league that year and i really like thinking that it was me starting to support them that year that they succeeded in winning it. :p

born southern Stockholm, which is Hammarbys turf, working class.. both my father and grandfather is Hammarby-supporters.. i guess i became a supporter when i was around 6 years old and dad took me to Söderstadion for the first time, and the crowd at Söderstadion sent shivers down my spine.. best fans in Sweden no doubt.. the team on the other hand is a entirely different story.. if i exclude the period 2001-2007 we were always average at best.. and we are always on the brink of bankrupcy..

Michael Owen was my childhood hero, still have ha weak spot for that man of glass.

When i was old enough to understand i had to make a choice between my mums side of the family (Man Utd) and my dads side of the family (Liverpool). It was like a modern day romeo and juliet story, needless to say i chose Liverpool because my dad used to take me to the games all the time and all my friends were Liverpool fans.
Even with Man Utd having so much more success than Liverpool in recent years i still made the correct right decision! YNWA