How Come You Support The Team(s)

Fulham F.C. - Clint Dempsey is my absolute favorite player in the world. Plus, I didn't want to pick a big 4 team to follow. At this point, even if Dempsey were to leave, I'd still follow them. I started watching them around the time of their 2007/08 Great Escape and I have become attached to them. Was amazing seeing them get to the Europa league final last year, even if they didn't win.

LA Galaxy - I started following them recently, about midway through last season. I always kinda avoided American football just because I thought there was a huge lack of quality, but I eventually came around when I accepted they were my only local team. It's been amazing, and I haven't looked back :D

I cannot stand people who suppourt teams from other cities/places and do not travel to games. In my eyes these people are not football fans. - Like 90% of Man Utd fans.

Yay! Let's have a glory hunter argument!

Liverpool & Northwich Victoria all the way! Born in Crewe, raised in Northwich, discovered football at Anfield (along with watching a few matches at the Drill Field)

I cannot stand people who suppourt teams from other cities/places and do not travel to games. In my eyes these people are not football fans. - Like 90% of Man Utd fans.

I cannot stand people with such narrowminded views. I guess we have a dilemma here.

//Ninja edit - Actually we don't have a dilemma. This thread is not about that, but about how you came to support the teams you support. If you don't like it, the door is always open, both to get in and to get out.

Brummie born and raised.

Entire family support Blues.

7 of us have season tickets.

We won the Carling Cup ^^)

I cannot stand people with such narrowminded views. I guess we have a dilemma here.

//Ninja edit - Actually we don't have a dilemma. This thread is not about that, but about how you came to support the teams you support. If you don't like it, the door is always open, both to get in and to get out.

Well don't twist it into something it's not. It is completely ON topic as quite simply I don't understand how somebody from say, London.. Comes to being a Man Utd 'fan' - What makes that happen? Other than the fact they are successful. In my eyes you follow the team you are from as it represents who you are and where you come from.. Something people should be proud of.

PS. SOTC! (H)

Well, went to a game with my mate and his mum when i was like 6 and didn't have a clue what was happening etc. Then i joined my local football team and really got to like the sport, at the end of the year i got a season ticket and have had one for the last 7 years !

Although i was born in Portsmouth and have lived here all my life my dad is a Chelsea fan so i followed him. Also was the first game i went too.

Well don't twist it into something it's not. It is completely ON topic as quite simply I don't understand how somebody from say, London.. Comes to being a Man Utd 'fan' - What makes that happen? Other than the fact they are successful. In my eyes you follow the team you are from as it represents who you are and where you come from.. Something people should be proud of.

It's actually off topic as you haven't given any reason why you support the team you do. Therefore you have not stayed on the topic the thread was created for.

As to the original question in the OP I support Partick Thistle. Reasons being that I dislike the Old Firm, Thistle are my local club, and they are ****. And if I didn't attend most of their matches the attendance would drop by 50%.

I am of the school that you should always support where you are born. I am Leeds born and bred and even though I have been tempted to turn my back on them many a time (relegation, Dennis Wise etc) I have always stuck with them because loyalty is what been a true fan is about and thats why we have the most loyal fans in the world. Couldnt and wouldnt want to support anyone else now.

Teams shouldnt be supported just because your home team is rubbish or because they dont play better football than the man utd's or barcelonas of this world, if everyone had this view than how are your crappy little divisional clubs gonna ever become big clubs?
Football is about the drama and the ups and downs. That is what the love of football stems from. Watching crawley town put man utd on the back foot or watching a league one leeds side destroy man utd and nearly do the same to tottenham is what brings the passion and love to the beautiful game.
I have never understood anyone that supports a team because they are the best in the league at the time. you are only set up for disappointment because you may be doing well now but the only way to go is down. But then again you can always switch your allegiences to the next best team. But where is the loyalty in that.
Rant over. Marching on together.

Last edited:
It's actually off topic as you haven't given any reason why you support the team you do. Therefore you have not stayed on the topic the thread was created for.

As to the original question in the OP I support Partick Thistle. Reasons being that I dislike the Old Firm, Thistle are my local club, and they are ****. And if I didn't attend most of their matches the attendance would drop by 50%.

It is on topic. because if you read the post again, my point is relavent to the discussion.. It's just not a direct answer to the question.

the one and only southampton football club. born in winchester 15 miles down the road. my grandad was born in southampton and supported them, passed down to my dad, passed down to me. my first game was the very first game, opeing ceremony at st marys stadium a good 10 years ago and i have had a season ticket ever since. the pitch is like a billiard table, one of the best in england in many peoples opinion and especially for a league 1 club. amazing loyal fans, a good 2000/3000 each away game whereas smaller league 1 teams take 200 fans with them to away games! everything from the moral of the club, the city and the way the southampton faithful sing ''oh when the saints go marching in'' very slow every game like an anthem. its even better than liverpools ''youl never walk alone''... my one true love is the saints and i will always wear that red and white scarf round my kneck, and that southampton crest on my chest with pride. RED ARMY! RED ARMY! RED ARMY!

Like Chelsea because i lived quite near when i was little.
LOVE Leicester, because its where i live, season ticket etc. a few of my mates support, my dad does now:D

Well, erm- If I walk for about 10/15 minutes, my eyes meet the wonderful Home Park. Debate settled over who I support, and its for all the right reasons. Whether it was Championship Football last season, or potential League 2 football next season- My Local Club, My Team Needs Me, I'll Be There.

Argyle Till' I die :wub:

and i agree with r1cky, people who support clubs that they have no connection to other than ''i like them'' or ''i met their fitness coach when i was younger'', or have never been to a game are not true supporters. These are not fans of football, they are fans of winning. i would say 80% or more of united, chelsea, barcelona and real madrid fans are from a different country or china. glory hunters is definitely the right word i think you need to have a connection to a team to rightfully claim you support them. If you are a true fan of the beautiful game you will support your local team through bad or worse. being a southampton fan we have hadpoint deductions, about 3000 managers, been relegated twice in 3 seasons but i remain a loyal fan because thats what true fans do. also being a saints fan can be painful watching bale and walcott doing so well seeing as we made them who they are and players like crouch, kenwyne jones, ricardo fuller and leon best were shocking lower league players until playing on form for us!

i support arsenal because my dad has been a life long fan. he use to go to nearly every game when before he met my mum.

Sorry for being Swedish, really..

Reading because i live there.. And my Dad was a Reading fan.

me and my Mate have Seasons ticket for like 7 years now?