How I setup my tactics, and rules that I follow

Hey guys, I need help of it is not a problem. I want to play control football, solid at the back and lethal up front. So how should I be setting my TI's, shape, roles and most importantly formation? If someone could direct me like the thread did a bit, but I am still not too sure and I don't want to mess things up too early. Thanks, cheers! :)

Click on each player and see where they are natural at, as it can be more then one position. Then decide on formation. Use one that uses most of your best players, preferably all of them. Then check assistant report to see what duty fits them best and then follow my guide.

Thanks for your quick reply. Can I still use wingers with stronger opposite feet on either side or is this just as inefficient as in FM 12? I have Douglas Costa(left footed AMR) and Adem Ljajic(right footed AML), would be a shame if I had to sell them.

They will be great as wingers.

Click on each player and see where they are natural at, as it can be more then one position. Then decide on formation. Use one that uses most of your best players, preferably all of them. Then check assistant report to see what duty fits them best and then follow my guide.

Ok mate, thanks. How about this, here is the formation, shape, ti's, roles and duties.

View attachment 244557 View attachment 244556

If anyone is wondering why I recommend these roles only, there is a simple explanation. If you use two strikers, one on support, and one on attack, the supporting one will feed the attacking one, meaning your best bet is to play deeper, less agressive, so attacking one has space to run into. Or you will struggle. Even in that setup, the supporting one isn't scoring, which is a waste of striker position. If you had two attack duty strikers, and played less agressively, you would be more of a threat, defenders would have to opt to guard just one. If you had two supporting duty strikers, and played more agressively, they would both again be a threat. Same thing is with inside forwards and fullbacks. If you have one IFa and want him to score, you need to stretch the pitch on his side with a FBA or WBa, meaning he would do better as a raumdeuter in a very fluid setup. If you want to do that in a fluid setup, and perhaps have one FBa and one FBs, only one of them would play correctly, the supporting one, while the FBa would struggle. You could use two FBs and a Wa plus Ifa, but you would in that case fail to stretch the opponent on one side, making your central players job more difficult. Although it would probably help in ******** up their defence. The IFa will also not help in defending, so if you are bent on using one, make sure it's against a weaker team.

striker should be DLFs, but beside that, looks ok.

Amazing mate, thank you so much, you really inspired me to keep going with this. Big thumbs up.

What about set pieces? How would you do them?

Amazing mate, thank you so much, you really inspired me to keep going with this. Big thumbs up.

What about set pieces? How would you do them?

I don't know anything about set pieces yet, sorry

Igneos79 colud you make me a 4-2-3-1 wide tactic with amc is trequesta.

Igneos79 colud you make me a 4-2-3-1 wide tactic with amc is trequesta.

use one of these roles and duties SKs, CDd, FBs, LIBs, DMs, Wbs, CMa/d, WMa/d, Wa, AMa, DLFs

then use one of the team instrctions attack,counter.defend,control or standard but dont use any team instractions..

I having good performance with this ideas, but when I'm playing against better opposition ,and I'm winning ,I get back 2 and sometimes even 3 goals which is unbelievable, and make me hating it...... I don't understand why..... And I struggle

Why can't Ι use normal CDs when using structured?
The LDs seem to play very long balls forward (in attacking) and when I'm playing a short AF, he cannot win the headers..
Tactic not fluid yet, just asking..

Last edited:

Those aren't roles and duties for structured style. Perhaps it could work with some extreme PI's, but that's not a natural thing to do. It's not really an asymmetric formation, although all of your roles and duties except SK would fit a highly structured style.

The LDs seem to play very long balls forward (in attacking) and when I'm playing a short AF, he cannot win the headers..

Normal CD's don't do only defending, they also do a support role or lets call it support...structured is a style where you ask less from your players. AF role has heading as a required attribute, if your striker isn't good at it, you shouldn't play him at that role. Shorter players usually rely on brains, which is why he would perhaps be better as a DLFs, if he is short, and you should play fluid.

Last edited:
let say I would play a counter attack style , which formation suits better? and which backup tactics or shuts should i have to adapt to any situations? I will really appreciate some deep details if you can......for exame formations and relative roles

let say I would play a counter attack style , which formation suits better? and which backup tactics or shuts should i have to adapt to any situations? I will really appreciate some deep details if you can......for exame formations and relative roles

well, pure counter attacking relies on short passing or retaining possession, to draw opposition forward and then clear ball to flanks and start a counter when they have commited forward. A less agressive mentality and a more structured fluidity is needed, so you want a well balanced formation that features triangles...a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide is good for a structured setup, or an asymmetric one for highly structured. That would work if you get attacked. If opponent is holding back, you should play more fluidly, which would no longer be pure counter attacking, but playing through defence, as you will be asking everyone to do more, your defenders help overload the final third, and your forwards to create chances and help defence, meaning you can change formation even to a flat one.

That's the problem with 'rules' like this. It doesn't allow for any thinking.

Limited Defenders will clear the ball immediately. That's what their role is supposed to do. If you don't want that, select a different role.

Normal CD's don't do only defending, they also do a support role or lets call it support...structured is a style where you ask less from your players. AF role has heading as a required attribute, if your striker isn't good at it, you shouldn't play him at that role. Shorter players usually rely on brains, which is why he would perhaps be better as a DLFs, if he is short, and you should play fluid.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 which is a layered formation..
Following your instructions I should play structured, shouldn't I?

SK (A)

FB(A) BD(d) BD(d) FB(A)

B2B B2B

IF(a) TR(a) IF(a)

DF(d)

VERY FLUİD ATTACKİNG ıs this tactic work or not ?

The attacking tactic - going route one with play out of defence are not v compatible imho.