How To Play as German and Japan National Teams.

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
For Football Manager players, it is a well-known fact that the only issue that stops the game from achieving complete realism, data wise, is the lack of the official German and Japanese national sides, due to their respective rights being held exclusively by other companies, meaning that the German team is filled with ‘greys’ (despite having real players available), and Japan is similar, along with no local players to choose from also (Japan-based players are not included in game anyway). However, there is a fix to this that people have found, and it is as simple as changing or deleting a file.

All you have to do is go to

WINDOWS

STEAM
Program Files > Steam > Apps > Football Manager 2011 > data > db > 1100 > Inc > all

NON-STEAM
Program Files > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2011 > data > db > 1100 > Inc > all

MAC

Steam:
Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1100\db\1100\Inc\all

Non Steam:
Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\db\1100\lnc\all

and delete all of the files in there. This should remove the blocks on the two teams, making them playable (Japan might not have enough players, depending on settings) and as a result more realistic. This changes will only happen in a new game, so get this done as early as possible!

Credit to Footy Fever Blog for saving me typing this out.

Last edited:
Yeah but m8 there are 3 different folders when there was only two on fm10

what does the second folder do?

Shouldn't this go in the FM11 technical help sub forum Stu?

How about a Steam user on a Mac? Because the folder "SteamApps" doesn't exist at all. I've had this problem that I haven't been able to fix with FM2010 either. There is no folder that contains game data at all, just the folder that is created that you can use to edit or add faces/kits/etc.

I haven't seen this concern addressed at all, really.

How about a Steam user on a Mac? Because the folder "SteamApps" doesn't exist at all. I've had this problem that I haven't been able to fix with FM2010 either. There is no folder that contains game data at all, just the folder that is created that you can use to edit or add faces/kits/etc.

I haven't seen this concern addressed at all, really.

I am not sure, if anyone has a MAC and can find it, I will put it up.

I am not sure, if anyone has a MAC and can find it, I will put it up.

I'm doing some research now with FM2010. Surfing the Mac forums to see any support on Steam game data files and how to edit. Will post any fixes I come across.

Wow, so because I have a Mac and have downloaded the game through steam, I won't be able to fix this?

I have Mac and Wilsonrtf is correct.

/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/football manager 2011 (or whatever year you're playing)

Isn't the third folder (the one not on FM10) the French national teams suspensions?

I can only get this to work with the default database and not update. Do I have to the default database?

When you update the game you will have to delete the files again from the updates' folder. For the 11.1 patch they should be located here:

Steam:
Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1100\db\1100\Inc\all

Non Steam:
Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\db\1110\lnc\all

What each file does:
fake.lnc - Disables the German national team and player pictures for the Dutch and French national teams
lic_dan_swe_fra.lnc - Changes some competition names from Denmark, Sweden, France due to licensing
nleague.lnc - Disables Chinese, Japanese and South Korean national teams and changes club names, stadium names ect. due to licensing

Last edited: