Howard Webb Encourages 'Diving'

Alex

Andre Villas Boas <3
Reaction score
World Cup ref Webb encourages diving?

World Cup Final referee Howard Webb has told Blackpool players to go down if they want free-kicks.
As the Tangerines prepared for their Boxing Day clash with Liverpool, Webb astonishingly let Ian Holloway’s men in on a few secrets.

Ollie’s players sat up when the whistle-blower urged them to hit the deck when caught by opponents rather than trying to stay on their feet.

Defender Ian Evatt lifted the lid on Webb’s lecture, which was part of an effort by FA officials to build better relationships with players.
Evatt said: “Howard was basically here just to go over some refereeing decisions.
“He showed a bit of honesty and told us where we were going wrong. He spoke to me about why I didn’t get a foul against Manchester City when Carlos Tevez caught me in the build-up to one of their goals.
“He said I was too honest and stayed on my feet. He said if I had gone down it would make the decision easier to give.
“I think that is where we are too naive. Most of us have come through the Championship – a more honest game, so to speak.
“In the Premier League, if you fall over you tend to get decisions. We are not talking about cheating, but sometimes we have to be less naive and go down under a challenge.
“We’re not going to make a meal of it, just show there’s a foul. It makes the ref’s decision easier.”

Link here: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-ref-Howard-Webb-encourages-diving-on-FA-lecture-to-Blackpool-stars-article656645.html

Wow, this surprises me. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Saw this about 2 days ago, was surprised a thread wasn't made about this before.

I think it's true what he's saying, but for him to openly tell them that is wrong. If anything he should be telling everyone else to stay on their feet like Blackpool.

I think it's true what he's saying, but for him to openly tell them that is wrong. If anything he should be telling everyone else to stay on their feet like Blackpool.

Agree. Bang on. Really surprised our 'top' official has come out and said this though, doesn't send out the right message to players or even the younger players who look up to these players as well.

Webb is spot on. He is not encouraging diving. All he said was go down when there was contact. I remember once Anelka was fouled in the box but he stayed on feet and didn't get penalty. Had he gone down he would have got penalty.

Title is misleading anyways. When contact is made, it wont be diving.

Webb is spot on. He is not encouraging diving. All he said was go down when there was contact. I remember once Anelka was fouled in the box but he stayed on feet and didn't get penalty. Had he gone down he would have got penalty.

Title is misleading anyways. When contact is made, it wont be diving.

No as our most senior ref, he should be encouraging players to stay on their feet when they can. Not if you get the slightest, tiniest niggle then to go down as if you were performing infront of the Russian judges.

No as our most senior ref, he should be encouraging players to stay on their feet when they can. Not if you get the slightest, tiniest niggle then to go down as if you were performing infront of the Russian judges.

Should they not be doing whatever they can to win?

What he is saying is perfectly true and acceptable

The title is BULLSHIT!

He said instead of being 'Tough' and getting up after every challenge if you are genuinelly hurt or think it was a foul.. stay down so the ref notices.... He did not once mention the word 'DIVE'

Need to re-name thread as its complete bollocks

The title is BULLSHIT!

He said instead of being 'Tough' and getting up after every challenge if you are genuinelly hurt or think it was a foul.. stay down so the ref notices.... He did not once mention the word 'DIVE'

All I did was copy title from the website. And 'Howard Webb encourages players to go down easier' was a too long- winded title.

No need for you to start crying, jeeeeeeeesus.

Merry ******* christmas to you to.

The title is BULLSHIT!

Agree 100%

Why should players stay on feet and get kicked which might even lead to injuries? Players have every right to go down when they are fouled.

Why should players stay on feet and get kicked which might even lead to injuries? Players have every right to go down when they are fouled.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying players should stay on their feet as much as they can. Not go down after the tiniest little niggle.

If I played football with you, I think I'd go home early. Hate players with that kind of mentality. If you can stay standing, then you should. Simple as that. Going down when you can stay up is diving as it's seeking an advantage.

If I did play football with you, and you went down too easily every time, the next time I went in to tackle you I'd make sure you had a reason to fall over.

If I played football with you, I think I'd go home early. Hate players with that kind of mentality. If you can stay standing, then you should. Simple as that. Going down when you can stay up is diving as it's seeking an advantage.

If I did play football with you, and you went down too easily every time, the next time I went in to tackle you I'd make sure you had a reason to fall over.

And that's what they want. You getting angry at them, and then going to far and get sent off. Seems like a win for them.

I'd much rather he told players to stay up.

And with the people saying the title of the thread is incorrect, firstly the word diving is in inverted commas - which suggests that it's not diving in the literal sense that he's referring to. Secondly, if the contact isn't enough to bring you down, going to ground is - in fact - taking a dive.

I'd much rather he told players to stay up.

And with the people saying the title of the thread is incorrect, firstly the word diving is in inverted commas - which suggests that it's not diving in the literal sense that he's referring to. Secondly, if the contact isn't enough to bring you down, going to ground is - in fact - taking a dive.

Thank you. Finally, it's nice to see someone with some sense on this thread.

And you as well DMF.