Huntelaar to join Every Club in Europe!

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 126
  • Views Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure who is better between Cambiasso or Mascherano, but they are at least comparable.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with the topic.

Where did you get the idea i was saying Senna's worth 30 mil ?? If you read my post, which you quoted btw, it said 13m and that was just an estimate.

I too would prefer Huntelaar but i was speaking as though the Huntelaar transfer was already a given. (To be honest tho you must ask yourself why two of the top European teams have looked to unload this guy so soon after signing him - hmm?? )

And we've already established Zigic is at Birmingham now, im not going to apologise twice for my mistake. Please read the last couple pages and you'll see whats already been said.

"Cambiasso is a better player than Mascherano" - did i really just read that?!? Lol, how come Cambiasso didnt make Maradona's squad and Mascherano is the captain.

Newsflash m8: holding midfielders are not expected to be pinpoint passers, besides we have Gerrard for that (and used to have Alonso too). LFC have quality passers already, but no-one rivals Mascherano in simply winning back the ball and playing a simple pass to recycle possession. The guy's like a brick wall FGS. Not only that but he can mark almost anyone out of the game completely (perhaps Messi excluded, lol).

Cambiasso is on his last legs and signing him would be a huge mistake imo.

But i must say I lol'd when i heard you suggest he was better than the world's best holding midfielder haha. :)

Edit: Cambiasso - didnt make national squad >> Mascherano - CAPTAINED national squad - hmm???
cambiasso helped inter to the treble, mascherano helped liverpool to 7th in the EPL
Maradona didnt call up cambiasso for the same reason he didnt call up Zaneti, to make a statment, cambiasso is a great player and on par with mascherano imo

"Cambiasso is a better player than Mascherano" - did i really just read that?!? Lol, how come Cambiasso didnt make Maradona's squad and Mascherano is the captain.

Newsflash m8: holding midfielders are not expected to be pinpoint passers, besides we have Gerrard for that (and used to have Alonso too). LFC have quality passers already, but no-one rivals Mascherano in simply winning back the ball and playing a simple pass to recycle possession. The guy's like a brick wall FGS. Not only that but he can mark almost anyone out of the game completely (perhaps Messi excluded, lol).

But i must say I lol'd when i heard you suggest he was better than the world's best holding midfielder haha. :)

Edit: Cambiasso - didnt make national squad >> Mascherano - CAPTAINED national squad - hmm???

Oh God, everyone knows that the only reason Cambiasso didn't made the national squad is because Maradona is an idiot. You seriously think Mascherano is that much better than Cambiasso? Watch some CL clips from last season to see how he totally shuts Messi down.

Cambiasso had a falling out with Maradona as did Zanetti. Nothing to do with his ability, I think its for all to see what the man can do over the course of last season. Probably the best holding midfielder out there at the moment.

Watch some CL clips from last season to see how he totally shuts Messi down.

Alvaro Arbeloa did a better job at shutting down Messi than Cambiasso did so...

Back on Topic > Mascherano > Cambiasso.

Alvaro Arbeloa did a better job at shutting down Messi than Cambiasso did so...

Back on Topic > Mascherano > Cambiasso.

The topic is Huntelaar's transfer xD

He'll probably go back to Holland where he was prolific.

Yes Huntelaar.....

Get Taiwo (Marseille) for left back, he is a machine.

Where did you get the idea i was saying Senna's worth 30 mil ?? If you read my post, which you quoted btw, it said 13m and that was just an estimate.

I too would prefer Huntelaar but i was speaking as though the Huntelaar transfer was already a given. (To be honest tho you must ask yourself why two of the top European teams have looked to unload this guy so soon after signing him - hmm?? )

And we've already established Zigic is at Birmingham now, im not going to apologise twice for my mistake. Please read the last couple pages and you'll see whats already been said.

And what Argentina list has to do ? You should know that Maradona isnt even a manager. Zanetti wasnt at the last world cup, but Garce (an awful player who plays in Colon) was .. so that mean that Garce is better than Zanetti ?

Yes Huntelaar.....

Get Taiwo (Marseille) for left back, he is a machine.
Marseillie don't want to sell him apparently, but I think he wants to go, but Spurs are reoprtably interested, but yeah, he is a beast. He reminds me of Riise

Being a pinpoint passer as a holding midfield player is a massive advantage because they can build attacks from just infront of the defence.

And what Argentina list has to do ? You should know that Maradona isnt even a manager. Zanetti wasnt at the last world cup, but Garce (an awful player who plays in Colon) was .. so that mean that Garce is better than Zanetti ?

Totally valid point (although Maradona is a manager) and i accept that building the best team doesnt always involve simply bringing the best individual players, but at least Im happy that 90% of fans and coaches in the world would be on my side on this issue.

I dont mean to disrespect Cambiasso who is a great player but to me there's no better holding midfielder in the world right now than Mascherano, so Im afraid any further debate with me on this subject would never get me to change my mind lol. :)

Being a pinpoint passer as a holding midfield player is a massive advantage because they can build attacks from just infront of the defence.

Mate, its an advantage for any player whereever you are on the pitch, but its not a necessary function of that role. And bear inmind we're talking about Liverpool who already have a playmaker and have full backs with great passing ability too.

Totally valid point (although Maradona is a manager) and i accept that building the best team doesnt always involve simply bringing the best individual players, but at least Im happy that 90% of fans and coaches in the world would be on my side on this issue.

I dont mean to disrespect Cambiasso who is a great player but to me there's no better holding midfielder in the world right now than Mascherano, so Im afraid any further debate with me on this subject would never get me to change my mind lol. :)

Mate, its an advantage for any player whereever you are on the pitch, but its not a necessary function of that role. And bear inmind we're talking about Liverpool who already have a playmaker and have full backs with great passing ability too.
I totally agree with you that Mascherano es the best holding mdifelder in the world. But when I said that Cambiasso was better Mascherano, I was comparing them as midfielders, because Mascherano is a better defensively than Cambiasso, but his contribution to the offensive is 0. While, Cambiasso is not as good as Mascherano in the defensive game (he is very good though), but he can definitely see a pass, has more vision, is a more creative player.
Sorry for the offtopic, I know it has nothing to do with this topic but I just wanted to explain my view.

I totally agree with you that Mascherano es the best holding mdifelder in the world. But when I said that Cambiasso was better Mascherano, I was comparing them as midfielders, because Mascherano is a better defensively than Cambiasso, but his contribution to the offensive is 0. While, Cambiasso is not as good as Mascherano in the defensive game (he is very good though), but he can definitely see a pass, has more vision, is a more creative player.
Sorry for the offtopic, I know it has nothing to do with this topic but I just wanted to explain my view.

I agree. Mazza's got zilch going forward, but for teams like Liverpool and Barca its really not an issue.

cambiasso helped inter to the treble, mascherano helped liverpool to 7th in the EPL
Maradona didnt call up cambiasso for the same reason he didnt call up Zaneti, to make a statment, cambiasso is a great player and on par with mascherano imo

Now thats got me laughing... ur saying a player should be judged on how good his squad are collectively??

And as for your second point (but this is trivial cus im only posting to illustrate how insane your first point struck me as being), when you are a professional football manager maybe then you can criticise Maradona's decisions, but as i said before squad harmony is more important than individual skill or reputation - just look at England and France this summer. It is teams that win games, and you and I don't know the details or personalities of the players involved. I don't believe you have any right for criticising Maradona for including/excluding certain players when you don't know them any better than you know my uncle Todd (if he existed that is lol - just makin a point).

Thread is about Huntelaar. Stay on-topic.

Thread is about Huntelaar. Stay on-topic.

My bad. Huntelaar rocks and i hope we land him i think him and Torres would be unstoppable - plus i think he's built for the EPL thats why Real and Milan didnt want him.

If we can bring in Huntelaar and Bridge, possibly even Bouma as back-up (not sure what's going on with him and PSV) then we should be sorted. Avoid any contact with clubs about Masch, Torres and Stevie and we should be fine. Hopefully get rid of Babel in the Huntelaar deal and maybe sell Lucas to make way for Bridge if needs be.

I'm still over the moon about signing Joe Cole XD

Can I be a heretic and say I don't particularly rate Huntelaar?

Now it sounds insane - the lad scores goals. No matter where he's been, he's scored goals.

But... he scores goals as the finisher of every single move for his side. If someone can be bothered to do the research, how many goals do the rest of his team mates score when he's in the side? Does he add anything to a team other than being the one who finishes the move off? (Genuine question - I have my suspicions but I haven't checked to see if they have any basis in reality).

Now that sounds a bit wrongheaded - goals win games - but my point is kind of that Michael Owen scored goals. He scored lots of goals. But he's on a pay as you play deal at Manchester United because no team would touch him for a regular contract. Other than Hull or Stoke. Why is that?

Just think that Huntelaar doesn't offer enough for any team.

Would love to be proved wrong. Not seen that much of him (I do follow AC Milan when matches don't clash with Liverpool's - blame Sacchi - so I've seen him a fair bit since he went there) but is that assessment of him fair? Does he bring anything to the team beyond being in position to score goals?

For a counter-example, consider Ian Rush. Bloke scored for fun. But he was also a team player and he pressurised the keeper and the defence and won the ball high up the pitch which created opportunities not only for himself to score but also team mates. Same with John Aldridge. Same with Droghba. Same with Rooney. Same with Torres. Same with Villa. Same with Tevez.

I've not really seen Huntelaar do this. I didn't see Ruud Van Nistelrooy do much of it either to be honest, nor Michael Owen. Robbie Fowler on the other hand...

Is it just my expectation of what a striker should be doing, or is it necessary to set up a team so that you have a player whose sole purpose is to finish moves created by others? (See my sig for further details :D)

Last edited:
Can I be a heretic and say I don't particularly rate Huntelaar?

Now it sounds insane - the lad scores goals. No matter where he's been, he's scored goals.

But... he scores goals as the finisher of every single move for his side. If someone can be bothered to do the research, how many goals do the rest of his team mates score when he's in the side? Does he add anything to a team other than being the one who finishes the move off? (Genuine question - I have my suspicions but I haven't checked to see if they have any basis in reality).

Now that sounds a bit wrongheaded - goals win games - but my point is kind of that Michael Owen scored goals. He scored lots of goals. But he's on a pay as you play deal at Manchester United because no team would touch him for a regular contract. Other than Hull or Stoke. Why is that?

Just think that Huntelaar doesn't offer enough for any team.

Would love to be proved wrong. Not seen that much of him (I do follow AC Milan when matches don't clash with Liverpool's - blame Sacchi - so I've seen him a fair bit since he went there) but is that assessment of him fair? Does he bring anything to the team beyond being in position to score goals?

For a counter-example, consider Ian Rush. Bloke scored for fun. But he was also a team player and he pressurised the keeper and the defence and won the ball high up the pitch which created opportunities not only for himself to score but also team mates. Same with John Aldridge. Same with Droghba. Same with Rooney. Same with Torres. Same with Villa. Same with Tevez.

I've not really seen Huntelaar do this. I didn't see Ruud Van Nistelrooy do much of it either to be honest, nor Michael Owen. Robbie Fowler on the other hand...

Is it just my expectation of what a striker should be doing, or is it necessary to set up a team so that you have a player whose sole purpose is to finish moves created by others? (See my sig for further details :D)

Not at all heretic mate, very valid point but imo its just a type of striker. Poachers like him and Nistelrooy will always get stick for it but at the end of the day certain teams (Liverpool case in point) have so much attacking quality but not enough goalscorers. LFC really need a clinical finisher who hits the back of the net every time, and that's why I think Hodgson should play them both together, because while Torres is making life difficult for defenders it leaves more space for Huntelaar to get into a scoring position.

Certain types of players almost go unnoticed on the pitch but are often the best ones on it. When watching LFC games how often do you really notice Mascherano? He gets the ball back and lays it onto someone else - it's done in seconds but is soooo crucial to their game plan.

Huntelaar's main skill imo (beyond the clinical finishing) is his positioning and off the ball ability. If he's not making himself invisible he's not doing his job properly. And as you implied yourself, it works, because you conceded that he does score lots of goals wherever he goes.

In fact lol, in the Cameroon V Holland WC match lately i won £50 in part thanks to him: I put 4 bets on and they ALL came in hahaha.......

total stake across four bets = £10
1) Cameroon to have more corners - Result 6 Cameroonian corners to Holland's 1 !!
2) Cameroon 1 - 2 Holland - Result Cameroon 1 - 2 Holland
3) Huntelaar to score at any time - Result the lad scored (his first & only goal of the tournament btw lol)
4) Stephane M'Bia to get booked - Result that bad bwoy M'Bia did indeed get himself booked!

I won £60 back so a nice half-ton profit there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back