ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Great OP

Put £10 quid on Kenya getting to the Semis, pigs might fly you know ;)

I am very happy with the new schedule , its much much better than the one in 07 . A quaterfinal system is exactly what the competition needed . This is going to be the most open world cup in a while with no strong favourite from the start . The sub continental teams will have the edge but it is who wins the pressure games who will win the trophy . For teams like England , South Africa , New Zealand and Australia to win they will have to play the spinners well . These sides get into trouble when they get bogged down by spinners in these conditions whereas the sub continental sides thrive against spin . Pakistan and West Indies are erratic , you can never tell what to expect from those lads . Sri Lanka should be among the favourites with home advantage but their record in India is not that good at all . The rest will mainly be looking to cause upsets and have no real chance to winning the trophy .
As for India , I have my worries about the bowling lineup . Its not the best and can be all over the shot at times . A lot will depend on Harbhajan's and Zaheer's form during the tournament . The batting is very strong , probably the most dangerous in whole tournament . Fielding can be a worry at times and can be the difference between a win and a 15 run loss . But the main thing is that our record during crunch matches is awful and how we handle the pressure is of the utmost importance .

We won the first warm up game against Australia.

India 214
Aussie 176.

Chawla 4 wickets and Bhajji 3 wickets.

suprised India beat the Aussie's, the Indian batting looked really shoddy, only Sehwag making a half-century and one would expect better from them considering they are playing at home, on the brighter note the Aussie's were much worse, well done Chawla, u proved your critics wrong with that performance :)

Spinners paradise it was. It was not modern day ODI wicket. Good game and warm up game hardly gives any indication as it is just for match practice.

Spinners paradise it was. It was not modern day ODI wicket. Good game and warm up game hardly gives any indication as it is just for match practice.

yep Spinner's paradise, I am rubbing my hands at the prospect in the way those Aussie's are going to fail with Krejza being their main spinner

Stauss: we're here to win it...

Im glad you're positive Straussy, but we're more realistic. If we can make it to a decent stage of the competition it would be an achievement for us.

Id much prefer to become the number 1 test side than win this in all honesty. Like i really wasn't all that bothered with us getting thumped in ODI's down under...

Without the mass of injuries we have wracked up over the STUPIDLY congested fixture list i think we could have had an outside chance, with the injuries definitely massive outsiders.

yep Spinner's paradise, I am rubbing my hands at the prospect in the way those Aussie's are going to fail with Krejza being their main spinner

I agree, Australia are in for the shock of there lives at this WC

Okay so lets evaluate Englands likely first Xi

Strauss -- The Skipper is a calculating captain, but he needs runs in one day cricket, which is not his strong point. The Pressure will really be on him, as he is opening with a player not used to opening

Pietersen-- Kp is without a doubt Englands best Batsman and most talented player, but to start opening 110 ODIs into you career..? Is a big ask, if anyone in the England side could do it though and have the confidence to do it, it is KP.

Trott-- England Mr Reliable of late, Very compused player. Best Number 3 we have had for ages.

Bell-- England must fluid and a potential match winner from the number 4 spot. Has the ability to score free flowing runs with ease, against any Bowling line up in the world. Has he got the bottle though.

Collingwood- A very Lucky man, out of form and out of sorts. Lucky to be going, that being said he fielding is very good and always an option with the ball. Needs a big tournament.

Prior-- At last Englands best Wicket keeper gets his go at ODI cricket, Quick scoring batsmen, Maybe more suit to number 7 then 6, but with Morgans Injury he will have to stepp up.

Yardy-- A bowling all rounder who can score with the bat at times. Not really a number 8, but with Wright truly dreadful, He must play here.

Broad-- Stuart will have a big role to play, Should take the new ball, as he is a genuine strike bowler. Can score quickly if he gets going.

Swann-- If he recovers in time, must play, very talented bowler, best spinner in the world, incase you didnt know, and that official.

Bresna- A right handed fast medium bowler, Who when he gets in right is deadly, lets home he gets it right.

Anderson-- Must take the new ball, Very dangerous with it, A real wicket taker.. If it is swinging, Jimmy will get runs.

Our Chances-- I would say a 1/8 or a 1/4 is what we should realistically aim for, and once you there, anything can happen in one off matches.

What i would of done differently...

I would of taken Ali Cook an opened with him, He is in the form of his life, and We havent got an opener to partner strauss. With Cook opening we could of pushed KP down to 4. And stregthen our whole side.. Collingwood would of been the guy to miss out, but Our Batting would of been more complete.

Sehwag is playing brilliantly.Earlier Sachin was run out.

Gambhir scored 50 plus and my star Kohil also scored 50.

Looking very good for 350 plus.

Still Dhoni, Yuvi, Yusuf to bat.

272-2 39 overs

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Seehwag 168* off 133

Kohli 81* off 70 balls.

333-2, 45 overs. Superb cricket.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Sewhag scored 175 off 140. Looked very tired and knackered. Hope he is not injured as we need him fully fit if we want to do any good in this WC

Sehwag destroyed the Bangla's

Kohli is a top man, deserves to be ahead o Raina

Kohli scored superb century off 83 balls.

370-4. Could have scored even more. No complaints though. What a start to the world cup.

Strauss isnt in form in the recent warm up games, this could mean he is unlikely to hit runs. but we said that with cook at the ashes, as he was playing **** in the warm up but got player of the series for england down under. Stuart Broad is back from injury getting to five wicket hauls in two games, this could prove vital for England. C'MON England

Great Start to the World Cup, shame Sachin got out in such a stupid way, he was looking really good

What great cricket! shame about Sachin (esp as he is in my fantasy team)
Hopefully Iqbal can put on some runs and at least fight for the game! Would love to see the Bangla's post a decent score at the very least!

India won by 87 runs. Good start to the WC. Impressed with everyone today except Sreeshanth

India thrashed bangladesh, Sehwag actually terrioised them!

Top performer, and kholi put in a good one to. I think we should levae dhoni and yuvi 5/6 so if we lose wickets early then them 2 come in and steady it up because they know how to take big shots and defence shots for 1 run.

What an innings by Sehwag I was watching when he was on 102 went to make my dinner came back he was on 170 in no time. A good start to the tournament and good to see the game was a sell out