Internationals (ENG v EGY)

• Thread starter Thread starter matranti
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 3K
i was just poking a bit of fun, but he ahs scored quite a few goals against poor sides. you cant do any more than score when you play though

i know im only joking, i dont rate crouch that much but he has a tendency to score againts 'lesser' teams which is basically what we face in our opening 3 world cup games.

i know im only joking, i dont rate crouch that much but he has a tendency to score againts 'lesser' teams which is basically what we face in our opening 3 world cup games.

Good luck to you if you feel USA will not show class or Algeria will not fight too the end, they were the team to knock Egypt out

All hail Zidan. I'm going to get a grilling from the vast majority of this site but C'mon Egypt :D

By all means keep wishing our national side lose while supporting our club teams. :$

Typical envious reaction. (K)

Good second half performance from England. The first 45 minutes was a shambles though, and Egypt thoroughly deserved their early lead.

Lamps went off for Carrick mate.

Ooh had Tv on mute :/ was doing school work :(

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

I got the score right :))

Good luck to you if you feel USA will not show class or Algeria will not fight too the end, they were the team to knock Egypt out

USA have been abysmal since they qualified, one win in 6 i think. Got turned over by an average dutch side this evening and we're equal to the dutch on any day in recent years.

Algeria qualified through a playoff against egypt as they were level on pts, goals, wins, scores, etc so i see no difference in them to egypt, if anything egypt are better having won the african nations whilst algeria fell in the knockout rounds and werent that good in the games they played.

We should win the group with at least 7 if not the full 9 points and then it is just the usuall England lottery' of how well we play in each of the following rounds. USA will qualify but will be easily beaten by Germany in the last 16.

Didnt see the first half or the 20mins of the second but glad to see milner play, not too suprised he didn't start as I'd say he's a certain for SA, really do think that Ashley Young and Downing can do alot more than Walcott and probably Wright Pillips so disappointed they didn't play.

Biggest difference for the second half were Baines (who had a fantastic second half) and Brown doing their basic jobs, and Walcott finally pushing on more with Shaun Wright-Phillips then giving a master class on how to rip apart a 3-5-2 down the flanks. Carrick coming on for Lampard was also another big factor - it seems like Capello has found the system he wants to play and I reckon Lampard may well find himself on the bench for the World Cup unless he can convince Capello in the training camp that he can defend sufficiently well to provide the platform of midfield possession.

If there's another right fullback of quality Capello can take with Johnson, he might do well to take him rather than Brown. Brown's job tonight was the very basics of playing fullback these days and he wasn't able to do it. It wasn't all Walcott's fault down that flank - Brown just wasn't adequate enough taking possession forward.

The Defoe experiment didn't work it would seem. Not really a surprise as Defoe is a very limited player in terms of all round play (Owen-esque in that regard). Team looked far more assured with Crouch spearheading and Gerrard and Rooney providing the movement to the left and behind him (England can say thank you to Rafa for getting Crouch used to that lone striker role so well).

Anyways, Egypt are a well-drilled team but England made very, very hard work out of taking apart the fundamental flaws with a 3-5-2. They did it though when other England teams have struggled to in the past.

Last edited:
Biggest difference for the second half were Baines (who had a fantastic second half) and Brown doing their basic jobs, and Walcott finally pushing on more with Shaun Wright-Phillips then giving a master class on how to rip apart a 3-5-2 down the flanks. Carrick coming on for Lampard was also another big factor - it seems like Capello has found the system he wants to play and I reckon Lampard may well find himself on the bench for the World Cup unless he can convince Capello in the training camp that he can defend sufficiently well to provide the platform of midfield possession.

If there's another right fullback of quality Capello can take with Johnson, he might do well to take him rather than Brown. Brown's job tonight was the very basics of playing fullback these days and he wasn't able to do it. It wasn't all Walcott's fault down that flank - Brown just wasn't adequate enough taking possession forward.

The Defoe experiment didn't work it would seem. Not really a surprise as Defoe is a very limited player in terms of all round play (Owen-esque in that regard). Team looked far more assured with Crouch spearheading and Gerrard and Rooney providing the movement to the left and behind him (England can say thank you to Rafa for getting Crouch used to that lone striker role so well).

Anyways, Egypt are a well-drilled team but England made very, very hard work out of taking apart the fundamental flaws with a 3-5-2. They did it though when other England teams have struggled to in the past.

zeb with a spot on assessment as always

It was only a friendly, Brown isn't a full back though, a winger can never play effectively if they don't have a proper full back behind them, I will be glad when Johnson returns despite the defensive frailties that some claim he processes. We play better with a target man alongside Rooney, I don't think a Rooney Defoe partnership would ever work, Lampard dissapointed and missed a sitter early on and generally had a poor game. Found them very frustrating but we finished them off in the end, a few years ago, I think England would of struggled to overturn that one goal deficit which shows how far we have come under Capello, we our finally able to polish off these sorts of teams in a professional manner.

zebedee, you are a genius, what i wanted to say exactly, i think once walcott and swp were set, egypt were ******

are you sure that was Theo Walcott? hat-trick hero Theo Walcott? bags of pace Theo Walcott?

Theo Walcott is rubbish, all his has is pace, no real technical skill hes just a nock and run player.

P.S I was at the game tonight and how bad was the egypt keeper lol he dropped every single ball lmao

Should have started SWP or Milner on the right instead of Walcott. They really made an impact.

Lampard wasn't much better, it has to be time to decide on Stevie OR Frank, not both.

A lot of people probably think Walcott would scare the **** out of defenders with his pace but i could imagine he is one of the easiest players to contain. He has all the pace in the world but doesn't utilise it properly. I rarely see him run at defenders and commit them which would be a more effective approach than the one he is using at the moment. I only see him use his pace to exploit gaps and run onto balls whereas i feel if he ran at defenders, like Lennon & SWP do, then he would have them running scared.

A lot of people probably think Walcott would scare the **** out of defenders with his pace but i could imagine he is one of the easiest players to contain. He has all the pace in the world but doesn't utilise it properly. I rarely see him run at defenders and commit them which would be a more effective approach than the one he is using at the moment. I only see him use his pace to exploit gaps and run onto balls whereas i feel if he ran at defenders, like Lennon & SWP do, then he would have them running scared.

He just needs to learn that:) Whether he can is a different matter.

Back