iota4u

Reaction score
*****Iota's Lounge of Tactics***** New tactic Added - 24/01/2014

Hello you beautiful people,

This thread will be the home of the tactics i create for the game we all love, i thought it would be better to keep everything in one place instead of making several different threads, this way i can commit to one thread and not be lost over a number of different ones, it makes sense in my mind!

The thread will be, naturally, updated over time and i will bump the thread with an appropriate message when an update or new release has been posted into this first post. But before we begin, for all tactics of mine, your own and the other maestros of the forum, here are a few handy links regarding players you may wish to take a look at to add depth or strengthen your squad:

Football Manager 2014 Best Free Players

Best FM 2014 Cheap Players

Football Manager 2014 Top Bargains

and for staff:

Football Manager 2014 Staff Recommendation | Passion for Football Manager

Best team talk guide out there, it can really make a game go in your favour, a must read:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...amtalk-guide-fm14-how-get-right-reaction.html

A brilliant in-depth PPM guide:

Player Preferred Moves | Football Manager 2014 Guide

Now, yet another link! This time it is a Player Filter list, which is a must use for certain tactics, including my own, you don't want to just use any old AMC when you use a speciality role, you want the right guy, this list helps provide the right players for a role:

sortitoutsi Player Role Filters

Oh, one last link, it is to another thread of mine utilising a 1-3-3-3 tactic which is base on both total football and tiki taka:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-3-3-3-total-taka-cccs-55-70%-possession.html

Now, enough with the sea of links! onto my tactics.

Click on the "spoiler" buttons to reveal tactic information!

Hermoso Tiqui-Taca
(Beautiful Tiki Taka)

hermoso tiki taka: simply the best football manager tactic. keep up the good work mate ;)

View attachment 436186

This formation is more a direct version of the Tiki Taka that Barcelona use to devastating effect. As with all Tiki Taka formations, the centre midfield is -the- most important area of the field, in this tactic the way i use the Destroyer/Creator/Passer combination makes life very difficult for teams wanting to push on with an attack as the Anchor man (best destroyer role there is in DM) puts a halt to it, then passes it onto the DLP who then either passes it onto the AP or any other close by player. As with any possession based formations, proximity of players is key, so you want to create as many "triangles as possible" to continue the Destroyer/Creator/Passer routine, the picture below shows 11 triangles which maximises your chances to retain possession:

View attachment 436184

I decided to try it out on Swansea, to see if a lower team could play it, whilst it is not as easy as Barcelona make it out to be, it still works:

View attachment 436183View attachment 436182View attachment 436181View attachment 436180

As you can see, only three losses (first loss was due down to still tweaking the tactic and lots of injuries due to the last friendly) and sitting in 2nd 2 points behind manchester united, whilst still in all domestic cups and qualifying for the europa league knock out stages miles ahead of the rest of the group. Also noticed that Swansea have conceded the least amount of goals and are the 5th most scoring teams, 4 goals being the number one team. So you will score a lot of goals and have a solid defence at the same time. Here ar some screenies of Barcelona with the tactic, i only played a few games with them then the real world came calling:

View attachment 436176View attachment 436175

Philosophy behind the Tactic

Basically, quite a lot of formations out there are for the sole purpose is to supply the strikers so they score, so they get 35+goals per season. If that is what you want, this tactic is not for you. My take on it is that everyone defends, everyone attacks and everyone takes part in the build up play, possession, and taking the ball back, in my mind, i don't overly care if my striker of what have you has the most amount of goals to his name over his team mates, i'd much prefer a striker who has the vision and sense to pass and create goals and only take a shot when it's the perfect time to, failing that, laying the ball on to a team mate who may be in a better position, that is more vital to me when i play these forms of tactics. Admittedly, due to the limitations of the ME, your IF's and Treq will be leading the goal scoring tally, but they also give aid to other team members to set them up too. Here is a video showing some Barcelona goals (i was going to make one with my Swansea save, but i stupidly saved over it.)

[video=youtube;XJnpEScDORA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJnpEScDORA[/video]

Now, Alba provides a perfect example of team work, if you watch him closely in the build up to the first goal of the video, you see him track back and push the on rushing attacker to the far corner, to which he wins the ball, he passes it, then cuts diagonally across the pitch and sprints up the line to be on the receiving end of a pass to score the goal, that example of play is exactly the key to my philosophy.

What you will also notice, if you look carefully, is that when ever possession is won or retained or if the player with the ball is moving about, his team mates will do their best to try to make the Destroyer/creator/passer triangle, so when an opposite team member comes forward to tackle, he has usually two options to pass to, which is vital for this play.

Training

As far as training goes, in the individual training section, i assign players to the role they will server, so my Treqs will go on Treq training, limited defender on limited defender training, inside forwards on IF training and so on and so fourth.

For General Training in the Pre-Season, (big hint here) place the tactic in all three tactic slots, then set the match prep are all the way to the left, un-tick the rest before/after matches options and set the match prep to "Tactics" and general to either balanced or team work, your choice.

Here is a screenie to show during season training:

View attachment 436168

Obviously during the season, you may wish to avoid training injuries, so if you have a tight congested fixture list, allow the players to rest from time to time.

Opposition Instructions:

Typically, i just used the AM, but if you find your AM lacking, here a couple of things to change.

- For the opposing team's Strikers/AMC/IF - move to weaker foot

- Close down for the Midfield and attacking players.

But if you have a decent AM, just let him do it, they usually get it right.

Q: Shouts during a match?

A: I didn't use any, but it's up to you.

Suggested Attributes to Take into Consideration
- Creativity
- Decisions
- Flair
- Passing
- Team work
- Work Rate
- Concentration
- Composure
- Stamina

A must have for your Wing-backs & Inside Forwards:

- Pace

For your Goal Keeper always bear in mind that if they have a high Eccentricity stat, they must also have a high Rushing Out, One on One and Decisions stats too, otherwise you may fall victim to the silliness that occurs with silly goals.

Thing to Take into Account

- This is not an "i win" tactic, you will lose the odd match purely because the AI will never let you win every game.

- Some teams prefer attacking/route one football, so if you use this tactic with said teams, it will take longer for them to accept it, as in, players feeling uncomfortable.

- Make sure you get players with the above attributes in mind, otherwise their positioning and poor passing or vision with lead to painful counter attacks.

- Get the best CB you can! tackling, decisions, concentration are a must.

- would be wise to get spare players for the WB and IF roles, to keep the play fresh and the players fresh, too.

- If you can, sign Ronaldinho.

- Due to the nature of this tactic, lower league or poorer teams might struggle due to the Total Football/Tiki Taka approach.

- I won a lot of free kicks, you will frustrate your opponents, so make sure you have a decent Free Kick Taker.

PPM's and what to look for and/or teach

Basically, you want to look for or teach the "plays short simple passes" "Plays One-Two's" "Tries killer balls often" "Prefers to pass than shoot" and another one to attain is "places shots" and a vital one to teach your all your players if possible "Comes deep to get ball", the last PPM aids your team s a whole as the players up front will come deep to aid in defence or to start a play to move the ball forward.

Recommended Pitch Size: Small

Download Link ----->
Hermoso Tiqui-Taca

The Zip file (open using winzip/winrar/7zip) contains two tactics, the main one, as pictured above and an alternative version which moves the Trequartista into the striker position and is turned into a Complete Forward for those who do not like striker-less formations, the "Hermosa Tiqui-Taca 2" is the one with the striker as a CF instead of a Treq.

Shadows

Ah, my second tactic release in this thread, let's get "stuck in", shall we?

The Tactic itself:

View attachment 434826

The basic idea of this tactic is to have strong defence and a fast attack, so the defending part of the team will soak soak soak up the attacking movement of the opposing team and then launch the ball up field to be met by the treq who will bomb forward and place through balls to the shadow strikers, the wing backs give added strength in attack as when possession is won and the move starts to go forward, they, too, will advance down the wings to give added support and dart back again if possible when possession is lost.

Tactical Breakdown:

View attachment 434812

In the picture (above) you can see (due to the child like markings :p ) the passing possibilities up and down the field, including triangles tat can often overcome those stubborn midfield players of the opposing team, for if you can't launch the ball forward to a player, you can play around them. Once again, i utilise the Destroyer/Creator/Support triangle that is heavily used in the tiki taka, the anchorman will attempt to stop the play of the opposition, play the ball off to either the support midfielder or the DLP, who will then play the ball off to the Treq if the situation presents itself.

The reason i use a treq instead of an AP is mainly because i want a player to stay in that hole and not drift too far from his designated position. So the aim of the Treq in this instance is to receive the ball and the players can be assured he is up there and ready, so once he receives the ball, he can then run forward either on his own, or behind the shadow strikers.

View attachment 434811

Above shows you the average movement and passing of the team (of course, it may differ dependant on the situation at hand) but it gives you a general idea of philosophy of the tactic, the anchorman takes the ball, he recycles it to the playmaker, who in turn, sets up a pass to the Treq who is waiting, the treq moves forward as the shadow strikers sprint ahead, the box at the top is the designated target area for the ball from either the treq/playmaker/WB's who will pass the ball. The shadow striker will then rceive the ball and sprint forward and strike at the post closest to them, usually in the top corner, if the fail and either it the post, deflection etc, the treq will also charge forward and try to finish it off, so essentially, the Shadow strikers act as poachers/advanced forwards but not so far forward that they are an island away from their team mates.

View attachment 434810

Above shows the advancing trio, on the pitch they will resemble a "V" or upside down triangle shape, the two tips are typically the shadow strikers who will stay near the defenders and be ready to run on, the bottom of the V is the treq who will receive the ball and see which one of the two SS's is more open, or perhaps just chip it over the defence for one of the SS's to pick up and either shoot or score a "Sweaty" goal using his other SS partner.

One thing i will say is you NEED pace in your SS's and composure, otherwise they will launch the ball high or wide of the goal. The defence, too, may need some pace but all round strong defence.

I hope i managed to to get the idea of this tactic out to you people properly.

Now, for loads of scores, stats and what have you:

View attachment 434809View attachment 434808View attachment 434807View attachment 434806View attachment 434805
View attachment 434804View attachment 434803View attachment 434802View attachment 434801View attachment 434800
View attachment 434799View attachment 434798View attachment 434797

Results with Gangwon FC (brought in some VERY pacey forwards)

View attachment 434796View attachment 434795

results with liverpool (using standard team, much advised to bring in new talent)

View attachment 434794

Countinho is a beast as a Treq, use him.

Now, the results are out of the way and quite impressive too, pace can very much make you in this instance.

Now for the Assist analyses:

View attachment 434793

As you can see there is a healthy mix, more so coming from the wings from the WB's marauding forward and sending in crosses from deep, but there is also a healthy dose of assists in the final third, typical fro the treq to the shadow strikers.

That GD isn't too bad either.

But do bear in mind, the K-League really isn't that good of a league, so pace pretty much desolates the league, you can probably expect a high score line if you have fast forwards and are a top three team, but if you use the default team with no additions, you may struggle, just a fore warning, before people start blaming things.

General Training:

View attachment 434792

^^ what i use during the season, pre-season you just want to get the tactic as fluid as possible as well as team cohesion too.

Regarding on who to bring into the team

Please, i implore you, use the sortitoutsi player filter list posted at the top of the thread, it really can save you a lot of hassle, the only issue with it, is trying to find shadow strikers (doh), but in that instance, try to look for AMC/ST's or ST/AMC's, look for pace, finishing and composure.

PPM's

For the members of the team who have the "D" tag, you want to make sure, or assign to them the "always stays back" PPM, the last thing you want is a David Luiz type of character who runs forward neglecting their duties.

For the Treq/SS's you want to have "get's forward when ever possible" (to stop those SS's from wandering back into their own half) and if they have the "gets ball from deep" ppm, make sure or at least try to make them "unlearn it" as it can hinder the advancing forwards if a SS is in your penalty area whilst everyone else is attacking.

Also, it might be a good idea to get your designated Treq to learn the "tries killer balls" ppm.

Attributes to look out for per Role

(once again, use the filters, they really do help!)

Shadow Strikers

Finishing
----->Pace <----
Composure
Creativity
Flair
Decisions
Off the Ball
Positioning
Team work
Work Rate

Treq

Creativity
Passing
Flair
Composure
Long shots
(^^ for picking up those rebounds)
Work Rate

CM

Tackling
Positioning
passing
Decisions
Concentration
Team work

DLP

Passing
Creativity
Flair
Concentration
Tam work
Work rate

Anchorman

Tackling
Decisions
Heading
Positioning

Wing Backs

Pace
Crossing
Passing
Tackling
Work Rate

Central Defence

Tackling
Heading
Passing
Pace (secondary)

GK

Anyone except for Valdes.

OP instructions?

Either leave to your AM if he has the right stats for it, or failing that, on all the attacking midfielders (Left/Centre/Right) and strikers, make sure to always close them down aand send on to weaker foot.

What if a player is sent off?

Naughty naughty, take off one of the SS's if this occurs as you need to retain the bulk of defence if one of the defensive side of the team are sent packing.

What if my team are the under dogs?

Well, when making the tactic fluid, i always try to have a "counter" option too, just incase, i would advise you do this too, move it to counter, then if you are in control for most of the game, move the style to control.

Shadows

^^Download link^^

Samba Beat!

View attachment 429683

[video=youtube;ykxIrfMjbvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxIrfMjbvg[/video]

ah, welcome again! today i bring you what i have labelled "Samba Beat!". A tactic based off of the 2010 Brazilian world cup team. It's essentially a 4-2-2-2-ish tactic, the IF's, in reality would occupy the AMC positions traditionally, but for some birre reason, you can't have an IF in the AMC role this year. So what i have done is given the IF's the cut inside and runs with ball through the centre ppm's, which is vital.

Basically, the idea behind this tactic is bear the brunt of an attacking team, the two Anchormen act as high sitting CB's, whilst the two BPD's act as sweepers behind the Anchormen. These four tend to form a tidy box which in turn surround a lone or par of strikers and gives them little time to breath. Once possession is won, they typically recycle the ball to the WB's who either send a long through ball through the centre of the park to the IF's or alternatively bolt up the wings and act as a winger. So once possession is won, the ball is taken up field ASAP with the 4 main attackers plus te two attacking wing backs charging in on goal.

Below is a pro-paint image to show the movements of the team (i should win an award for my epic skills :p )

View attachment 429682

In almost every game, my team managed to score pretty much from kick off, taking the opposing team by surprise and gaining the upper hand early on, this is what the Brazilian squad tried to achieve.

This tactic comes with two separate tactic files, an overload (the starting tactic) and a counter version in the ZIP file.

The second version of the tactic, the counter version, is to be used to secure your position, whether you are winning by one goal or two, switch to the counter version. It has a couple of tweaks to the shouts and instead of having attacking wingbacks, it changes them to defensive wing backs who essentially act more like full backs, so instead of the four man two column defensive line, you now have a 6 man - 2 column line.

Samba Beat! Instructions:

View attachment 429676

Samba Beats! ~ Counter Instructions:

View attachment 429672

Now for some Screenies of results and what have you:

View attachment 429671View attachment 429670View attachment 429669View attachment 429668View attachment 429667
View attachment 429666View attachment 429665View attachment 429664View attachment 429663

Results with Galatasaraay:

View attachment 429662View attachment 429661View attachment 429660

Results with Spurs:

View attachment 429659View attachment 429658View attachment 429657

General Training & Individual Training;

First and foremost... In pre-season, get both tactics fluid, then during the season, use the training below.

View attachment 429655

View attachment 429654

Of course, if playing against a better team, you could also use def pos instead of attacking for match prep, but that's down to you really.

OI:

i generally leave these to your AM.

PPM's:

Below is a quick run down of the ppm's that are a must have.

BPD's & Anchormen:

-Stay back at all times
-No through balls

Wing backs:

- Runs with ball down left/right flank
- shoots from distance
- Hugs line

Inside Forwards:

- Cuts Inside
- Runs with ball through Centre
- Plays one-twos
- Gets forward when ever possible

Advanced Forwards:

- Places shots
- Moves into channels
-Looks to beat off-side trap
- Gets forward when ever possible
- Get's into oppositions area.

PPM's to get rid of/unlearn:

IF's & AF's:

- Comes deep to get ball (you want to get rid of this one, to keep the 4 man attackers upfront to receive the WB/BPD's long balls.)

Things to take into account!

You will need very pacey AF's and IF's, stats to also take into consideration are Flair, creativity, decisions, finishing and work rate.

for your defensive players, you want tackiling, decisions, headers, team work, work rate and especially for the BP's - pace.

Download Link -> Samba Beat! <- Download Link

you will need winRAR/WinZip or 7Zip to open the file, extract into your tactics directory.

More Tactics Coming Soon

Last edited:
iota4u your inbox is full, could you please share those beautiful logos ?

Looks great, will steal and bastardize to my own team shortly.. :)

Looks great, will steal and bastardize to my own team shortly.. :)

once you have done sodomizing my work, send me it via pm and i'll stick it in the OP, take some screenies of stuff too!

Nice idea with the thread mate, just started a career with FCB as this was posted so i will use and post screenshots of the success it brings :)

Also, you know the PPM's, would the PPM "plays one twos" be a fitting PPM for this tactic mate ?

Cheers :)

Nice idea with the thread mate, just started a career with FCB as this was posted so i will use and post screenshots of the success it brings :)

Also, you know the PPM's, would the PPM "plays one twos" be a fitting PPM for this tactic mate ?

Cheers :)

would be perfect for it, basically any team possession/passing ppm's would be great.

@iota4u,

Just a general question. Will you do other tactics based on other approaches? I mean fast transitions, counter-attacks, etc. A Mourinho/Klopp/Capello approaches (the ideas, not a replica). Must confess I'm not a fan of possession approaches and it would be fun to see other approaches as well.

Cheers. This seems to be another piece of great work.

@iota4u,

Just a general question. Will you do other tactics based on other approaches? I mean fast transitions, counter-attacks, etc. A Mourinho/Klopp/Capello approaches (the ideas, not a replica). Must confess I'm not a fan of possession approaches and it would be fun to see other approaches as well.

Cheers. This seems to be another piece of great work.

i'm thinking about it, yes and thank you :)

Messi

Hi Iota , I'm Braziliam and sry my bad english.
First of all i like see u signing Ronaldinho hahaha and he is playing very nice in ur both tactics, I have tested the Total Taka and had great results, and now i gonna try this new than looks like great too, but I realized that both Messi does not score many goals in both tactics, so u think can make one tiki taka than Messi make like 12/13 - 91 goals in one season with Barcelona and Argentina or something like that ?

Going to give this a try. Wondering who to manage though? Someone with the right players and/or monet to get right players but not Barcelona. Think this could work with Southampton? :)

Last edited:
Hi Iota , I'm Braziliam and sry my bad english.
First of all i like see u signing Ronaldinho hahaha and he is playing very nice in ur both tactics, I have tested the Total Taka and had great results, and now i gonna try this new than looks like great too, but I realized that both Messi does not score many goals in both tactics, so u think can make one tiki taka than Messi make like 12/13 - 91 goals in one season with Barcelona and Argentina or something like that ?

in FM 2014 it's difficult to get a striker to score more than 60 goals, i guess they really wanted to make the game harder. But to get the most out of messi, put him in the trequartista role or the complete forward role, depends what version of the tactic you wish to use.

@iota4u
i have question for you for which patch is this tactic? 14.2 or 14.2.1

Cheers from Bosnia