Kirk1981

Reaction score
View attachment 463177
So here I start my Ipswich Story, the Beta Version. Town isn't the riches club around with 100k to spend in the transfer budget and a small wage bill, it's really hard to get the right players I believe Ipswich should have to challenge back to the premiership. But the Best players in the team to start of with, and you will more likely build around them for the time being is: Loach; Hewitt, Chambers, Berra, Cresswell; Edwards, Tabb, Wordsworth, Anderson; Murphy, McGoldrick.

My tactics differ in so many ways and the ones I'm using are:

View attachment 463177View attachment 463176View attachment 463175

The Two signings I've made are:

View attachment 463174View attachment 463173

The Pre-season went well with only one hip-cup that really was a stupid mistake of mine, but I tested something out and it back fired. Here are the fixture list:

View attachment 463172

I'm looking forward to playing Reading. I'm looking to get A Right Winger to replace Carlos, but with the stopping block of wages and transfer budget will put a stopping block. I can see myself releasing Carlos so we can save 6k on wages and using Esteban Lopez with Dean Parrett in the Starting Line Up.

I'm also looking to get a more experienced and more now use able right back as Elliott Hewitt is one more for the future.

Well once I've played a few more games I will add to this thread. I can see Ipswich Town being a struggle but worth it once everything starts to go right.

View attachment 463171

Starting Line Up: Gerken 6; Hewitt 8, Chambers 8, Berra 7, Mings 9; Tabb 8, Lopez 6, Skuse 8, Anderson 6; Murphy 6 (OFF 63 mins), McGoldrick 7.
Subs: Loach; Smith, Veseli; Hyam, Tunnicliffe; Nouble 6 (ON 63 mins), Lee.

Right With the Reading match finished. It shows That I can do what Mick McCarthy couldn't do in real life and beat Reading. Even though Reading was all over us, our shaky defence saw us stop a lot of shots and a lot of credit goes to our Goalie Dean Gerken even though his rating was standard. A great performance by Tyrone Mings playing as a Full back kept us quite safe. The Goal brought us to light with an amazing chip over the keeper by David McGoldrick in the 56th Minute meant we had to keep our attacking game to a bit more of a control to save the one nil lead. Credit to Reading and Nigel Adkins for putting pressure on us in their dying 10 minutes of play. But Chambers and Berra showed a good partnership in the central defence role that once was deemed with Chambers and Smith. Jay Tabb showed that he can play great behind the midfield three and have a solid performance against his old club. Even Esteban Lopez pleased me a bit even though being a standard rating, showed me he can come in and replace on the wing instead of using 34 year old Carlos Edwards who I am strongly considering to release form his contract even more now to save his 6k wages that can be used in other areas like maybe getting a new goalie once Scott Loach departs.

View attachment 463167

Starting Line Up: Gerken 6; Hewitt 6, Chambers 7, Berra 7, Walton Owen 5 (OFF 71 mins); Hyam 8, Edwards 6, Tunnicliffe 6, Doherty 6 (OFF 71 mins); Murphy 7, McGoldrick 8 (OFF 90 mins).
Subs: Loach; Smith, Mings 6 (ON 71 mins); Tabb 6 (ON 71 mins), Skuse; Nouble, Lee - (ON 90 mins).

Wasn't too impressed with David Gerken's lack of saving in this match, he could off done better but could be down to me playing Amon Walton Owen as Tyron Mings was a little jagged from the Reading match and Aaron Cresswell has just came back from injury, couldn't use David October as he's on loan at Rochdale. Amon has a bad game and I had to bring Tyrone on to replace him to keep our lead. We got given a penalty in the 15th minute and saw David McGoldrick score nicely. We kept our lead long towards the half time whistle. In the 56th minute saw us conceive a goal by a good effort by Coventry's Andy Webster. We soon saw Daryl Murphy score in the 67th minute with a real poachers effort. Billy Daniels then scored in the 71st minute for Coventry which made me bring two players on. David McGoldrick rounded off with a second penalty in the 85th minute. The game saw David McGoldrick get injured in the 90th minute which brings me back a bit for our next match against Millwall for who to replace him in the Advance Foward role. My major choices will be Alan Lee or moving Daryl Murphy from the Poachers role. If I choice Daryl then the likes of Frank Nouble or Paul Taylor; if fit enough, to fit in the Poachers position.

I could also use this time to bring up one of our youth players in part of my agreement with the board. Maybe the likes of Jack Marriott, Cemal Ramadan or Jonathan Smith can make the step up.

View attachment 463165

Starting Line Up: Gerken 6; Hewitt 6, Chambers 6, Berra 7, Mings 6 (OFF 69 mins); Tabb 6 (OFF 55 mins), Lopez 6, Skuse 6, Anderson 6; Nouble 6, Murphy 7 (OFF 74 mins).
Subs: Loach; Smith, Cresswell 7 (ON 69 mins); Hyam 6 (ON 55 mins), Tunnicliffe; McGoldrick 6 (ON 74 mins), Lee.

So I eat my words after bragging about beating Reading and get through to the second round of the Capital One Cup. Mick McCarthy manages Town this year to beat Millwall and I settled to a draw! I just have to say Millwall was all over us to be fair. With the 6th minute goal by Paul Robinson for Millwall, we struggled to get a bit of spark to create goals. I went with my line up that beat Reading with one change up front due to David McGoldrick had a little injury in the Coventry match. Frank Nouble did well though he could of scored but wait for Daryl Murphy to come up down the left to draw the keeper out to pass to Daryl that made him easy score a half volley shot. Millwall put the better chances in the match but failed to use them well. With us taking a point saw us move up from 5th to 2nd in the Championship with Millwall sitting behind us in 3rd. As far as McCarthy's Tractor Boys manage to only gain four points in the Championship in five games. I'm happy to be able to manage four points in just two games. I'm hoping we keep this form and in the next three championship games and in the Capital One Cup too so we can sit in the third round.

View attachment 463164

Starting Line Up: Loach 6; Hewitt 6 (OFF 60 Mins), Chambers 7, Berra 6, Cresswell 7; Tabb 6, Edwards 6, Skuse 6 (OFF 78 mins), Anderson 7 (OFF 78 mins); Murphy 6, McGoldrick 7.
Subs: Gerken; Smith, Veseli 6 (ON 60 mins); Hyam - (ON 78 mins), Tunnicliffe - (ON 78 mins); Nouble 6 (ON 63 mins), Taylor.

Maybe placing Scott Loach in Goal was my back fire, maybe I should of put Dean Gerken in, instead of giving Scott a chance. Things started of great for us as we scored in the 5th Minute by a David McGoldrick get effort and display. We seemed to keep some good shape for 34 minutes, but Alejandro Faurlin made a good effort of twisting Berra and scoring on the 40th minute with Loach reaching hardly any where near it. As I thought we would manage to keep it as a draw for the first half, with extra time ticking by it seemed we got sloppy and it opened up Charlie Austin to score in the 45th minute. The R's seemed to coming out in the second half after a fine come back in the first half which saw Armand Traore fly down the left wing and cut right in side which left Edwards and Veseli failing to catch up with the wing backs pace which opened up a chance on the 69th minute goal for Traore to celebrate Q.P.R with an amazing three - one win.

With Brentford interested in signing Scott Loach on a season loan, with the performance he had in letting three goals in against an important match seems to be likely for me to agree to it. Will take Michael Crowe as a understudy for Gerken until I can get a good keeper to join us.

View attachment 463162

Just made a new signing for a goalkeeper. After letting Brentford take Scott Loach on loan and releasing Carlos Edwards from the club, helped me sign this goalkeeper that's better than Scott and Dean Gerken. I hope he settles quickly and keep the sticks between him all clear of goals. Managed to sign him for 200k and on half of what Scott gets for wages is a added bonus for me.

View attachment 463159

Starting Line Up: Gerken 7; Hewitt 7, Chambers 7, Berra 7, Cresswell 7; Tabb 6 (OFF 68 mins), Lopez 7, Skuse 7, Anderson 6; Murphy 7 (OFF 78 mins), McGoldrick 9.
Subs: Loach; Smith, Veseli; Hyam 6 (ON 68 mins), Tunnicliffe; Nouble 6, Taylor - (ON 78 mins).

So Dean Gerken returns back as a Sweeper Keeper and performs well. Jay Tabb didn't put in a performance as he has before and really struggled to be the back bone between the defence and midfield which saw him get subbed for young Luke Hyam. Things went horrible for Leeds as Defensive Midfielder Rodolph Austin headed back a defenders clearance to set up David McGoldrick on the 14th minute. David's second goal came in the 40th minute with a easy placed goal. David round off his amazing performance with his hat-trick on the 58th minute split up the Leeds defence with some skillful trickery swaying movement that left Paddy Kenny unable to contain the explosive strikers shots.

A really great effort by the Tractor Boys that lets us sit 8th in the Championship. With David McGoldrick scoring 7 goal in 5 games that includes 1 assist and 1 player of the match award, I hope his good run keeps going throughout the season.

View attachment 463158

Starting Line Up: Gerken 6; Hewitt 6, Chambers 7, Berra 7, Mings 8; Tabb 6, Timlin 6, Tunncliffe 7 (OFF 55 mins), Adekunle 6 (OFF 76 mins); Murphy 7, McGoldrick 6 (OFF 55 mins).
Subs: Crowe; Smith, Veseli; Hyam, Skuse 6 (ON 55 mins); Nouble - (ON 76 mins), Taylor 6 (ON 55 mins).

Thought Sheffield United would be a walk over so thought I would rest some players. Mark Timlin and Jordan Adekunle didn't really amount to much unlike Esteban Lopez and Paul Anderson has done in the last games. Sheffield United did well of stopping our danger man David McGoldrick and maybe I should of rested him so there wasn't a really key player marked out the game. So this defeat see's us our of the Capital One Cup in the second round! At lease I have managed to do the lease by going one more round then what McCarthy's boys have done in real life. I'm still happy that I've rested a few players for the Birminingham match but I do wish I kept to the boards target of getting to the third round.

The first half was good, we kept the ball away from our area and with some good saves by Dean Gerken we looked like we could of won the match. But in the second half we saw Jamie Murphy score a poachers goal that Dean was unable to save. The second goal came from Marlon King by a short cross and Marlon powered the shot to the back of the net.

Now out of the Capital One Cup, we can go more into the Championship and wait for the FA Cup to come around for us.

View attachment 463157

Starting Line Up: Gerken 6; Hewitt 5 (OFF 55 mins), Smith 7, Berra 7, Cresswell 7; Tabb 6 (OFF 55 mins), Lopez 7, Skuse 8, Anderson 8; Murphy 7, McGoldrick 8.
Subs: Crowe; Chambers, Veseli 7 (ON 55 mins); Hyam 7 (ON 55 mins), Tunnicliffe; Nouble, Taylor.

A very open attacking game on both sides saw the Tractor Boys not stop fighting for a win. Esteban Lopez scored in the 42nd minute by a pass by Cole Skuse to help his team mate get his first goal for the club. Matt Green scored for Birmingham in extra time of the first half to level in the 45th minute. Callum Reilly scored a poachers effort in the 47th minute to send Birmingham two one up. Daryl Murphy manage to out wit the defence with a twist rolling in goal on the 49th minute. Callum Reilly came back to try and settle it for Birmingham in the 57th minute. Cole Skuse scored a 25 yard set up by Daryl Murphy on the the 66th minute to show we ain't giving up. As it looks set to be an amazing riot of three all, Winger Paul Anderson cut his skills inside to score on the 78th minute to show that Ipswich won't go down without a really hard battle. That win makes us climb up to 4th of the Championship.

Dean Gerken was put to shame in letting three goals go passed him, by the bad performance of young full back Elliott Hewitt. Maybe playing a lot of games in a row is beginning to be a bit too much for him. Cole Skuse had an amazing game, he has really settled into the Advance Playmakers role and looked great in setting up key passes to other team mates.

Well That's August finished with now. Here's a little run down of results from both me and Mick McCarthy.

Mick's Ipswich:

Reading 2 - 1 ITFC
Stevenage 2 - 0 ITFC: Knocked out in first round of the Capital one cup
ITFC 3 - 0 Millwall
QPR 1 - 0 ITFC
ITFC 1 - 2 Leeds
Birmingham 1 - 1 ITFC

Won 1; Lost 3; Drawn 1; Goals for 6; Goals against 7; points 4.

My Ipswich:

Reading 0 - 1 ITFC
Coventry 2 - 3 ITFC: Through to second round of the Capital One Cup
ITFC 1 - 1 Millwall
QPR 3 - 1 ITFC
ITFC 3 - 0 Leeds
ITFC 0 - 2 Sheff Utd: Knocked out of the second round of the Capital One Cup
Birmingham 3 - 4 ITFC

Won 3; Lost 1; Drawn 1; Goals for 10; Goals against 7; points 10.

I'm glad with my process with Ipswich now and looking forward to the Middlesbrough match next.

View attachment 463081

Starting Line Up: Gerken 7; Hewitt 7, Chambers 8, Berra 7 (OFF 73), Cresswell 7; Tabb 7, Esteban Lopez 7, Skuse 7(SENT OFF 51), Anderson 9; Murphy 8, McGoldrick 7 (OFF 73).
Subs: Crowe; Smith 6 (ON 73), Veseli, Hyam, Tunnicliffe; Nouble, Taylor (ON 73).

Another won means we are in a two game winning row. Player Of The Match winger Paul Anderson scored of a volley after Boro's keeper saved a point blank shot by Daryl Murphy. A sending off saw Cole Skuse leave the pitch on the 51st minute after a bad tackle. Apart from the tackle Cole seemed really great in passing and setting up his team mates in key spaces. The final second goal came in the 68th minute with Daryl Murphy swift through the Boro's defence to score a non savable effort.

With the win against Middlesbrough saw us climb up one space from 4th to 3rd in the Championship.

Now with September here I can see a more from my players keeping their first place spots. With the likes of Dean Gerken shinning with safe hands as a sweeper keeper. Luke Chambers and Christophe Berra not giving a chance to either Tommy Smith or Frederic Veseli in the central defensive roles. Elliott Hewitt is showing he can be our number one choice as a full back with Aaron Cresswell and Tyrone Mings challenging each other to keep the spot.

Esteban Lopez has managed to take the right wing as his own along with Paul Anderson on the left side. Jay Tabb is keeping Luke Hyam on the bench by being the back bone between the defence and midfield. Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick are showing like a good partnership upfront. As long as they keep working hard I can see them reminding me of the Tottenham days of their great strikers partnership of Tedding Sheringham and Jurgan Klinsmann!

Even though we are only meant to be a mid-table team we are showing signs of being in the promotion race.

Good read so far sounds like you have a hard working team.
I have just started a game with Reading

Yeah I have played around with tastic's and transfers for a few days to get it to the way I wanted. Would really like to hear how you're getting on with Reading. I can upload my tastic's to what they are now if you feel you would want a little help. I hope you are getting results as good or better than mine, but with a team like Reading I'm sure you will do just fine they have a lot of attacking players and if you can use to benefit yourself then you will be on a winner. Good luck with your career in the beta version mate

Would be happy to have a look at your tactics mate.
Am playing a 442 at the moment am 3 league games in 1 win 1 loss and 1 draw

View attachment 463066

Starting Line Up: Gerken 7; Hewitt 7 (OFF 73), Chambers 9, Berra 8, Cresswell 8; Tabb 7, Esteban Lopez 7, Tunnicliffe 7, Wordsworth 7; Murphy 9, McGoldrick 7.
Subs: Crowe; Smith, Veseli 7 (ON 73); Hyam, Leddy; Nouble, Taylor.

Three wins in a row sees us rise up one place from 3rd to 2nd and joint points with Brighton. Luke Chambers had a awesome game in defence keeping us safe with every clearance. The riot started of with an amazing cross from Esteban Lopez to set up a passing header down to Daryl Murphy from Anthony Wordsworth. Daryl done nicely to score a great team movement by the attacking three. A long pass From Aaron Cresswell helped David McGoldrick score on the 15th minute with a slide tackle that placed the ball past Stech. We had so many chances to score more goals with us shooting at Marek Stech and hitting the wood work on 4 occasions. Daryl Murphy settled it on the 86th minute with a power shot past the helpless Marek Stech.

Seeing as Mick McCarthy's Tractor Boys could only beat them by two goals to one, I'm happy we bagged three goals and having Dean Gerken, Luke Chambers and Christophe Berra in the side has made us a solid contenders for promotion.

With this sort of performance's we have made I can see us reaching the play-off's without fail.

Aaron Cresswell came to me before the match and requested to move to a bigger club, I did try to say to him that I can see us being with the big guns but he seems certain to move sooner rather than later. Which makes me look into replacing him with someone like Lee Wallace from Rangers or Jake Bidwell from Brentford. But until Aaron leaves and I will be looking at a bigger price then 2.8 million for him, I won't be doing anything as ideally I want to keep Aaron around as I see him as a valued member to the Tractor Boys Championship campaign.

Thank you, I am off course pleased at what we have achieved so far. I mainly have Chambers and Berra doing short passing. Tabb mainly defending really. with the wingers and advance playmaker the main creative players. the two strikers are more shooting then anything else.

I do keep positive with my players and only diss them if they get sent off or take too many yellow cards. I just remind them what it means to be a player at the club be mindful cause the youth are looking up to them.

I talk to my players as much as I can and when is required.

Have signed Lopez for my Reading team but have also got Bentley for that position to

Have signed Lopez for my Reading team but have also got Bentley for that position to

Bentley is a good player and to have Esteban Lopez as a back up for him should be good also could try Bentley tutoring Lopez might benefit him too

There are some good players about so check the other threats about possible signing youths. Have a look at Jake Bidwell too at Brentford he seems just as good as a left back as Aaron Cresswell. You could even buy him and have him staying at Brentford for the season as agreement :D

That's good to know regarding speaking positvely to your players. I've normally taken a hard-discliplined approach to my players and (even though I do praise sometimes) I normally tell them when they've performed badly more than anything, if I talk to them at all. I've felt like I could get away with not speaking to my players much in the last few FMs, must have to take a more considered approach in this one!

Yeah I used to have the Sir Alex Ferguson approach in FM12, but in FM13 and now FM14 I seem to be a more laid back manager. Though if I need to be I can be hard on them and drop them to the youth teams or even get rid off them.

I am liking the look of my Reading team so far but trying to keep my feet on the ground and not get my hopes up haha